Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

All End Game Craft materials Will NOT be gated by bosses, dungeons, or raids.

KnotwoodKnotwood Member CommonPosts: 1,103

Question to Zenimax:

Are you able to find every crafting material in the overland world of Tamriel, or are there materials you only find in special dungeons or as drops from certain bosses?

Answer:

Every material can be found either in barrels, crates, etc. or can be harvested from the resource nodes you find all over the world (as well as in dungeons).

http://www.elderscrollsonline.com/en/news/post/2014/03/10/ask-us-anything-crafting

Ask us anything happened again.

So far its looking up for crafters, and not just any crafters, but all crafters who wish to play any play style they want weather it be Solo, Grouping, or Raiding and still have access to ALL top end crafting mats.

Gone are the days where your precious crafting mats are trapped in some raid, or in some dungeon. Now you can have access to it all. Crafting mats have just been announced that you, as a crafter, will have access to all mats in the Overland world (Open World), from solo players to raiders who do crafting.

Every single crafter, solo, group, or raiders, will have equal chances to obtain all crafting materials AND be able to make the best gear in game, provided they put the hard work into doing so.

So far the main features of crafting include:

1. Can make Crafted Legendary Gear for max level. (the highest Quality Rating in game)

2. Can upgrade Drop gear from any source and make it Legendary Quality Rating.

3. Crafting items used to Upgrade items to Legendary Crafting will be "exclusively" and only available to Crafters through "hirelings, extractions, and refinements" meaning all droped in in the entire game will only be upgradeable to the best quality by crafters who are the only ones who have access to these mats.

4. ALL materials you can obtain for crafting are not gated by dungeons/raids/bosses ect. You can find all the mats you need for crafting and making top end game items in the world and through hirelings, extractions, and refinements!

This is an enormous statement from ESO, and one that goes against every major MMO of the past 5+ years, it says they care about EVERY crafter and not just a handful of crafters who have to choose raiding as their only option to obtain best end game gear and materials to make that best end game gear, by not gating materials and allowing Every Crafter reguardless of playstyle to succeed the way THEY want to succeed.

What do you think, has this been a thing you were waiting for in the last past 5 years like myself, I personally can tell ya, a tear comes to my eye just thinking about how important crafters will be in this game. How about you?

Comments

• SemibruceleeSemibrucelee Member Posts: 52
    Yes, materials. But what about enchantments and traits?
  • laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591

Interesting:

It's good and all to make things accessible to everyone. But I'm very curious as to how they are going to do this without trivializing everything.

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• jdnycjdnyc Member UncommonPosts: 1,643
    Originally posted by Semibrucelee

Traits are included with the material thing.  No idea about enchantments.  

• paul43paul43 Member UncommonPosts: 198
    Crafting the best gear have never been important to me, it's far more important that there is demand for the items I do craft. 
  • jdnycjdnyc Member UncommonPosts: 1,643
    Originally posted by laserit

Interesting:

It's good and all to make things accessible to everyone. But I'm very curious as to how they are going to do this without trivializing everything.

prob. low RNG and very random.  Meaning that you might get an item that another player needs and they might have what you want.  Note in one part he specifically mentions Guild Store and trade.

• udonudon Member UncommonPosts: 1,803

Interesting:

It does seem like gear is not the carrot to keep people logging in everyday and running those zones.  I guess the question is if gear is not what is?

• deakondeakon Member Posts: 583

Interesting:

Everything (both content and gear) is gated by veteran ranks rather than the gear stats themselves gating the content (like most mmo's), if you don't have a high enough veteran rank you wont be using the best gear regardless of where the gear comes from

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

"EEn-Chant-Ment"-Sandle

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• LisaFlexy22LisaFlexy22 Member UncommonPosts: 450
    Originally posted by deakon

Interesting:

Everything (both content and gear) is gated by veteran ranks rather than the gear stats themselves gating the content (like most mmo's), if you don't have a high enough veteran rank you wont be using the best gear regardless of where the gear comes from

Fine with me since you can gain veteran rank many ways.

• KnotwoodKnotwood Member CommonPosts: 1,103

Enchantments are made from crafting materials also. 

To the others about trivialization, its going to take a lot of effort to get the upgrade materials, so its not going to be as abundant as you might think because its a lot of work, but just to have that option only for crafters is great.

As far as trivializing everything else, Just because one play style gets something one way, doesn't mean others wont go down there path to get their end game gear from raiding or PVP as well.   This just adds one more path to end game gear.

• AzothAzoth Member UncommonPosts: 840
    Originally posted by udon

Interesting:

It does seem like gear is not the carrot to keep people logging in everyday and running those zones.  I guess the question is if gear is not what is?

Fun wherever you may find it. Could be stories, exploration, pvp. Whatever you like doing. But the crafting is pretty good. i leveled a couple characters to 16-17 and most of em used mostly stuff I crafted, so it is still worthwhile.

Interesting:

Yeah I have to agree, the inclusion is nice, yet the idea of progression seems lost in such a system. Hopefully I'm wrong about that. I see someone said that status restrictions apply to items, does that include being able to enhance said item?

Originally posted by Distopia

Interesting:

Yeah I have to agree, the inclusion is nice, yet the idea of progression seems lost in such a system. Hopefully I'm wrong about that. I see someone said that status restrictions apply to items, does that include being able to enhance said item?

Progression is done through veteran ranks, you can't access certain content or equip the best gear until you reach the veteran rank requirement for that content/gear. Crafting alone doesn't give XP so it wont rank up your veteran ranks so even if your the best crafter in the world you wont be able to use the best items unless you have leveled up your veteran rank by participating in veteran content

• ToxiaToxia Member UncommonPosts: 1,308
    I guess that answers why the top tier gear is not made by crafters. no challenge in getting the materials! i'm okay with that personally, not much of a crafter, but i can see how the crafters will complain when ppl get top heavy towards endgame and they not selling stuff

The Deep Web is sca-ry.

• atziluthatziluth Member UncommonPosts: 1,190
    Originally posted by Toxia
    I guess that answers why the top tier gear is not made by crafters. no challenge in getting the materials! i'm okay with that personally, not much of a crafter, but i can see how the crafters will complain when ppl get top heavy towards endgame and they not selling stuff

Anyone who does not level the crafting profession for the bulk of their gear may find getting legendary equipment extremely difficult. From the information released, the bulk of legendary upgrade mats will be obtained through crafting passives and high level refinement.

It would be interesting to have this confirmed one way or another through a high level CBT. At minimum to fully deck out a character in all legendary gear will take 80 - 180 upgrade mats. A high level craftsman could save players a fortune in mat costs.  

-Atziluth-

- Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity.

Crafters will be able to make Legendary Quality Gear (best and highest Quality Raiting for any gear in game)  for all levels from every other level up to the very top level you can reach which is Rank 10.   But its going to require work, I don't think people realize its not going to be cake just making best end game gear and because of that it wont flood the market like some might be thinking.

When you make Legendary gear, low lvl or high level its going to be something your proud of because of the time and effort it took to make.  Just like someone making a samurai sword in real life.  Well... maybe not that long.  

When a raider or someone wants me to upgrade an item for them,  its not going to be a tip,  its going to be a Transaction.   Because of how much it will take to obtain he 100% uprage chance on that item.

You wont be seeing many low levels wearing Legendary gear either, because of the rate drop of crafting legendary upgrade items.

Then again it is beta, so they may increase or lower that drop rate depending on how the devs feel comfortable as to not flood the market with crafted legendary items...  You got to remember these are devs who don't want you to have an auction house yet because of the flooding the market issue, so its safe to say they thought of the flooding issue on this type of gear and probably why the rate on the legendary drops are so Low,  I'd say even atleast or less then 0.01%

Interesting:

Progression is done through veteran ranks, you can't access certain content or equip the best gear until you reach the veteran rank requirement for that content/gear. Crafting alone doesn't give XP so it wont rank up your veteran ranks so even if your the best crafter in the world you wont be able to use the best items unless you have leveled up your veteran rank by participating in veteran content

I'm referring solely to item enhancement progression not usage. I'm asking if a level 1crafter can upgrade said gear or not? I got what you were saying before about the veteran rank, but I was unsure whether that was including applying said upgrades.

Originally posted by Toxia

That's something they'll certainly have to address down the road, to keep this level of importance they'll have to do something to ensure repeat business.

I'm wondering how decay ties into all of this. Because you get item degradation on death, does this mechanic tie into crafting at all? Or is it only tied to vendors?

• DrakynnDrakynn Member Posts: 2,030
    Originally posted by jdnyc

Interesting:

prob. low RNG and very random.  Meaning that you might get an item that another player needs and they might have what you want.  Note in one part he specifically mentions Guild Store and trade.

If that is the case then....available soon on the website 200% material drop rate for 7 days for only $9.99!!!!

Seriously though I hope that never happens at any price for those who intend to play.

Interesting:

I'm referring solely to item enhancement progression not usage. I'm asking if a level 1crafter can upgrade said gear or not? I got what you were saying before about the veteran rank, but I was unsure whether that was including applying said upgrades.

Yes, anyone can upgrade to legendary gear. The mitigating resource is the mats, not the ability. To kit out a full character in legendary gear takes 180 upgrade mats (as a level 1 crafter), which are primarily obtained through high level crafting refinement not drops. So as a level 1 crafter expect a long wait to be fully upgraded wasting a ton of materials unless you have a high level crafter feeding you mats (at which point it would be more cost effective in time and resources for them to upgrade your gear too). 

-Atziluth-

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916

I still expect that there are going to be dropped (loot) pieces of gear with "set bonus" stats which will be very desirable for certain playstyles. Crafters will not be able to create the items with those set bonii, but they will still be the ones who will upgrade them to Legendary quality.

The AUA responses do mention that certain sets will have attributes that crafters will not have access to. All we can hope for is that the devs spread the love equally between crafted and dropped sets. I actually like the idea that there will be some useful and unique drops, I just don't want the loot set items to be the BiS in ALL cases.

• free2playfree2play Member UncommonPosts: 2,043

Time is the verdict but I think I will find out through forums this time.

- Not gating material behind group/ PvP and other play style content is a good thing and should be noted as such.

I also appreciate the level of work that needs to be applied to make both crafting and loot based options for gear in a game. I understand if ESO isn't up to it. Few games are.

Originally posted by DMKano

Originally posted by SpottyGekko I still expect that there are going to be dropped (loot) pieces of gear with "set bonus" stats which will be very desirable for certain playstyles. Crafters will not be able to create the items with those set bonii, but they will still be the ones who will upgrade them to Legendary quality.   The AUA responses do mention that certain sets will have attributes that crafters will not have access to. All we can hope for is that the devs spread the love equally between crafted and dropped sets. I actually like the idea that there will be some useful and unique drops, I just don't want the loot set items to be the BiS in ALL cases.

This correct - best items will still be drops due to set bonuses and enchantments that crafters can't make.
    So while OP is correct about end game craft materials - it doesn't mean anything.

Crafters still can't craft the best gear with those materials, their only purpose will be to upgrade dropped gear.

While this is correct about enchants on drops being unique (which does not mean better), your build will determine  whats best,  the crafted set bonuses on crafted should cover a wider spectrum of builds and will have one set used as best because you have so many different types you can choose to use for your build, and the Traits you will available to your build that will be available will be around 8 different types, along with well over 8+ different legendary enchants you get to choose to use that best fits your build.  

I think once you find the set craft station that gives set bonuses that are more for your build, which there is somewhere around 8+ I'm guessing, since they are scattered throughout the world and you will have to find them, that pretty much opens up 8 different sets you can choose from, you can then choose from 8 different traits you wish to have on your crafted gear tailored just to your build, and to top off the customization, you can pick which Crafted Legendary Enchant you wish to put on the gear, which leads to full customization of your gear to what your build is.  

So you are looking at a very great amount of variety of customization on crafted legendary gear.   Will this cover everyones build?  No.  Will it be the best for some or alot builds?  Definitely.  Will some drops be unique enough stop someone from using crafted, I'm guessing theres some out there that are more specialized for one type of build or another and will be best for that persons build,  but its going to require a lot of raiding and killing to get that gear that's perfect for you.

Keep in mind that drop items you obtain, will not allow you to chose or change the enchant that drops on it, nor can you choose or change the trait on it.  So keeping that in mind, the customization of drops will be limited to whats on that drop,  BUT as you said, those enchants on it will be Unique only to drops.  I forsee a lot of raiding hours for those who are die hard about getting the exact enchant and trait that matches thier unique builds for this reason.

Originally posted by SpottyGekko I still expect that there are going to be dropped (loot) pieces of gear with "set bonus" stats which will be very desirable for certain playstyles. Crafters will not be able to create the items with those set bonii, but they will still be the ones who will upgrade them to Legendary quality.   The AUA responses do mention that certain sets will have attributes that crafters will not have access to. All we can hope for is that the devs spread the love equally between crafted and dropped sets. I actually like the idea that there will be some useful and unique drops, I just don't want the loot set items to be the BiS in ALL cases.

This correct - best items will still be drops due to set bonuses and enchantments that crafters can't make.
    So while OP is correct about end game craft materials - it doesn't mean anything.

Crafters still can't craft the best gear with those materials, their only purpose will be to upgrade dropped gear.

From what the TF guys have said on their streams crafting sets also have some pretty strong set bonuses too and it will depend on what role you intend to play whether or not a crafted set or a dropped set will be best for you

This is subjective not objective. While dropped gear will have unique sets that are not available to crafters, you are assuming they are generically superior. Maybe in the current pass this is the case, I have yet to see proof, but overall sets will be dependent on the stats a particular build wants and is willing to invest in. 

If the unique set bonuses equate to a 5% advantage compared to crafted gear would that warrant 60, 120, 240 hours of PvE farming to get the full set to drop or 50, 100, 200K in gold to buy it? So far there has been no quantitative proof dropped is superior to crafted. We have testers claiming it is, but when asked for specifics, no examples that can be compared has been presented for examples. 

Min/max hardcore players may swear by dropped set bonuses, but will the average player notice that much of a difference. Time will tell, but nothing has been presented so far that confirms it is so. 

-Atziluth-