Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] World of Warcraft: The Best Tank Classes in WoW

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

This week in the WoW Factor we look at upcoming honor changes to World of Warcraft Battlegrounds and I attempt to rank the tanking classes by how fun they are to play. I bet you’ll disagree with my first pick!

Read more of Reza Lackey's WoW Factor: Ranking the Tanks.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• TygranirTygranir Member Posts: 741
    I agree. Warrior is by far the most fun I have ever had while playing a WoW class. A close second would be back in WotLK when frost was the DK tank spec, as that was LOTS of fun as well.

SWTOR Referral Bonus!
    Referral link
    7 day subscriber level access
    Returning players get 1 free server transfer

Leveling assistance items given to new player!

See all perks Here

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270
    Frost was never a tank spec. Unless you were joking about it being overpowered DPS and getting aggro.
  • AlomarAlomar Member RarePosts: 1,299

Early Cataclysm blood dk being able to spam the blood rune heal and do decent dps as well was the most fun I ever had as a tank in WoW. The rest of the time I was an arms War. or a holy Pally.

Haxus Council Member
    21  year MMO veteran 
    PvP Raid Leader 
    Lover of The Witcher & CD Projekt Red
  • RocknissRockniss Member Posts: 1,034
    #6 Vanilla - Shaman off tank
  • jigo86jigo86 Member UncommonPosts: 97
    vanilla doing strath with 1 heal dudu and 2 dps
  • CyberNigmaCyberNigma Member UncommonPosts: 29

I loved Frost DK (DW) tanking up until they took it away and made Blood the only DK tanking spec.

Having gone through all of the tank classes, I still prefer playing a pally tank, though to caveat I also have an active warrior tank and a shaman that tanks scenarios with rockbiter.

• falc0nfalc0n Member UncommonPosts: 385
    Interesting that they are trimming down the ability list.
  • CarnicideCarnicide Member UncommonPosts: 222

"the Death Knight is a very fun class to play and you often feel pretty bad ass especially being able to wield two, two-handed weapons!"

When did DK dual wield 2handed weapons?

• jusomdudejusomdude Member RarePosts: 2,706
    Warriors no longer gain rage from damage taken in defensive stance. Warrior is my favorite tank too though.
  • BlasphimBlasphim Member UncommonPosts: 354
    Originally posted by Carnicide

"the Death Knight is a very fun class to play and you often feel pretty bad ass especially being able to wield two, two-handed weapons!"

Edit: reading fail, they never have done 2 2-handed weapons.

I used to tank and dps as frost DW, but they did that with two 1H weapons.  They never had the equivalent to the Warrior's Titan Grip, which the author may be confusing.,

Originally they could tank in frost (spec and presence) with 1 2H or 2 1H, but never 2 2H.

in fact, Frost Presence was the ONLY tanking presence, though they could tank in any of the 3 specs.

• CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    Originally posted by evilastro
    Frost was never a tank spec. Unless you were joking about it being overpowered DPS and getting aggro.

Ummmmm, shaaa, it was! Unless you're joking about joking about it. Or saying it wasn't a "real" tank spec. 

I'd love to say that I love all my tanks equally, but I do play favorites from time to time. My Pally is my mainstay. From a survivability perspective, it's great. If you wanted to like tank a raid and eat a sandwich, you can totally play this class one-handed. 

Just dinged 90 on my Warrior, and I had a lot of fun with him, but unless you're constantly pulling mobs, survivability is questionable at times. I always tried to keep smaller mobs around so I can pick them off when I was losing health and they trip Victory Rush. 

DK is fun, survivability is alright. I like playing the class, but you usually get some sighs whenever you enter a raid with one. 

Just playing my Druid right now and loving it! Wish I'd played it sooner. I just tanked and healed a dungeon yesterday with it. Not sure that I'll be able to do that at higher levels, but it was definitely fun, lol. 

MOST fun, though has to be my Monk. It's just a more complex setup than most. So it's probably the most difficult class to play, but has a great balance between damage and survivability. 

So, as per usual, Pally is easy mode (or can be) and Monk is most fun overall.  

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• SatanixxSatanixx Member UncommonPosts: 17

When DK's were released Frost was their tanking tree.

Guess you just started.

Originally posted by Blasphim

Edit: reading fail, they never have done 2 2-handed weapons.

How is that a reading fail? that's a direct quote from the article.....

• tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227

I agree that druids are.. basic in their skill rotation but i always get a nice fuzzy feeling from just lumbering in to battle swiping left and right like some four-legged engine of destruction. Have mained a druid since Wrath and it is the only class i have two of as one is feral/feral and the other is balance/restoration.

Playing a druid tank also have the added bonus of never knowing what the next patch will bring as druids are the class that have seen the most sweeping changes from patch to patch.

This have been a good conversation

• hallucigenocidehallucigenocide Member RarePosts: 1,015
    Originally posted by Satanixx

Guess you just started.

no only the presence was for tanking as far as i can remember every tank was unholy.. anyone else miss the blood dps specc?

I had fun once, it was terrible.

• Kevyne-ShandrisKevyne-Shandris Member UncommonPosts: 2,077

Actually, in WotLK, Frost was a tank spec, and great for AoE tanking.

• MalviousMalvious Member UncommonPosts: 218
    Originally posted by hallucigenocide

Guess you just started.

no only the presence was for tanking as far as i can remember every tank was unholy.. anyone else miss the blood dps specc?

Frost was the tanking spec back when they released. No one ever tanked unholy unless you had some clueless fucks.

Fine, we'll compromise. I'll get my way & you'll find a way to be okay with that.

Originally posted by Kevyne-Shandris
    Originally posted by CyberNigma
    Originally posted by Malvious

Guess you just started.

Frost was the tanking spec back when they released. No one ever tanked unholy unless you had some clueless fucks.

Well, just to clarify to others since it's hard to read people on the internet.  The Death Knight was released by Blizzard with the Frost Presence as the only tanking presence and all three specs/trees viable tanking trees (according to them).

Now that doesn't mean that all three trees were equal, as we saw, but yeah they were all three viable tanking specs in Blizzards eyes - up until they decided they weren't and made Blood the only tanking spec and presence.

Even within Frost spec, you could tank single or dual weapon as well (dual was pretty fun to watch).

They decided it was better to narrow the tanking specs down to just 1(blood) like the other classes instead of having 3 tanking specs (one of which could single or dual wield) under one presence.

The three specs for tanking were supposed to be biased towards certain fights/situations originally.

Which didn't come until MoP. This whole side discussion erupted because folks didn't read -- WotLK.

In Cata, presences were used from anything like dumping runic power to gaining it (Blood was severely runic starved; Frost had to use Unholy presence to dump the stupidly crazy amounts of runic power that spec generated). Now, presences are role specific (similar to EQ2's stances in execution).

In WotLK, Blood was the MT tanking sub-class and stance. Frost was the AoE tanking sub-class, perfect for off-tanking when AoE mattered.  Unholy performed more like Frost today. In Cata, the presences defined the roles more. Blood sometimes had to give up mitigation to gain more runic power. Frost was defined as a DPS 1-H dual welding spec (woe anyone using a 2-H then, which was nice because Frost would've needed on any weapon, especially 2-Hs otherwise to the detriment of too many melee specs). Unholy became more the anti-caster spec.

That's the problem with reading comments instead of talking in person.  He said Frost was never a tanking spec.  Many of us read that as him meaning Death Knights never (since creation of the class) used Frost to tank.  That's irregardless of the article or when it was changed, and was incorrect.

For everything else, yeah what you said.. especially for DPS and the presences...  For tanking, Frost was the only threat presence at the time, and blood presence was actually used as a solo leveling spec much of the time.

EDIT: and when they made Blood THE tanking class they just swapped Blood Presence with Frost Presence so Blood Presence also became the tanking presence..

• Mors.MagneMors.Magne Member UncommonPosts: 1,549

I hope Reza writes an article on best DPS classes.

I used to play a fire mage, but WoW stopped being fun for me when Blizzard did away with the talent trees.

It's not fun when you intended to be a glass cannon, but then get demoted to either AoE or crowd control. 

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    A more clueless article than most.  Learn something about all the classes before posting something like this.
  • Kevyne-ShandrisKevyne-Shandris Member UncommonPosts: 2,077
    Originally posted by CyberNigma
    Originally posted by Malvious

Guess you just started.

Well, just to clarify to others since it's hard to read people on the internet.  The Death Knight was released by Blizzard with the Frost Presence as the only tanking presence and all three specs/trees viable tanking trees (according to them).

Now that doesn't mean that all three trees were equal, as we saw, but yeah they were all three viable tanking specs in Blizzards eyes - up until they decided they weren't and made Blood the only tanking spec and presence.

Even within Frost spec, you could tank single or dual weapon as well (dual was pretty fun to watch).

They decided it was better to narrow the tanking specs down to just 1(blood) like the other classes instead of having 3 tanking specs (one of which could single or dual wield) under one presence.

The three specs for tanking were supposed to be biased towards certain fights/situations originally.

Which didn't come until MoP. This whole side discussion erupted because folks didn't read -- WotLK.

In Cata, presences were used from anything like dumping runic power to gaining it (Blood was severely runic starved; Frost had to use Unholy presence to dump the stupidly crazy amounts of runic power that spec generated). Now, presences are role specific (similar to EQ2's stances in execution).

In WotLK, Blood was the MT tanking sub-class and stance. Frost was the AoE tanking sub-class, perfect for off-tanking when AoE mattered.  Unholy performed more like Frost today. In Cata, the presences defined the roles more. Blood sometimes had to give up mitigation to gain more runic power. Frost was defined as a DPS 1-H dual welding spec (woe anyone using a 2-H then, which was nice because Frost would've needed on any weapon, especially 2-Hs otherwise to the detriment of too many melee specs). Unholy became more the anti-caster spec.

• neve1272neve1272 Member UncommonPosts: 44

i really loved what blizzard was doing  with the death knight in early wrath frost dk tank was the most fun i ever had tanking and the choice and flexibility of tanking or dpsing in any tree was great

wish they would try stuff like that more

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424

Rune weapon? :)

But I agree, Warrior is my favorite, with monk right behind.  I don't like DK at all though, so my bottom 3 are druid, pally, dk.  I miss Warrior's super tanking ability though.  It seems like we are truly just a meat shield now.  It used to be we could dodge and parry almost everything and block whatever wasn't.  Now it's more about blocking and just taking hits to the face lol.

Originally posted by Gravarg

Rune weapon? :)

But I agree, Warrior is my favorite, with monk right behind.  I don't like DK at all though, so my bottom 3 are druid, pally, dk.  I miss Warrior's super tanking ability though.  It seems like we are truly just a meat shield now.  It used to be we could dodge and parry almost everything and block whatever wasn't.  Now it's more about blocking and just taking hits to the face lol.

Rune weapon shouldn't count since you're not wielding it.It simply flies around smacking things.