Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GW2 China will be Buy to Play!

Rayzer235Rayzer235 Member UncommonPosts: 63

http://online.wsj.com/article/PR-CO-20140227-916325.html

BEIJING, Feb. 27, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- KongZhong Corporation (NASDAQ:KONG), a leading provider of digital entertainment services for consumers in the PRC, today has officially announced its commercialization strategy of Guild Wars 2, the groundbreaking fantasy MMO developed by ArenaNet in the west, when the hit online game publishes in China with partner KongZhong. Guild Wars 2 China will keep the same premium game play experience and innovative business model: players just pay for the game key one time, then are able to play the game for free with no subscription fee. In addition, on March 11, Guild Wars 2 China will host an exclusive two-week closed beta test where Chinese players will be invited to try out the revolutionary MMO for free.

Regarding the final retail price of the game, to ensure a strong market fit, Guild Wars 2 China will conduct a new round of market research with players and then announce the result.

Guild Wars 2 Global Strategy - KongZhong applies global vision to a proven business model

As the most anticipated online role playing game in 2014, the Guild Wars 2 China business model has been the focus of great interest by Chinese press and players. After conducting exhaustive research on multiple aspects of the market and working closely with ArenaNet, KongZhong has decided to respect the users opinions and choose the same business model that has made the game the fastest-selling MMO in western history. The business model is as simple as it is fair: when a player buys Guild Wars 2 China, they can play the entire game without any subscription.

In order to deliver Chinese players fresh new content at the same time as western players, Guild Wars 2 China will be synchronized with the western version in terms of game updates, operation scale, tech support, and customer service. Game content will largely remain the same in both versions, with the exception of some adjustments to the new-player tutorial that are designed for and requested by Chinese players.

Comments

• skyline385skyline385 Member Posts: 564
    Huh? What's new in this? GW2 Global was B2P in the first place.

• Sk1ppeRSk1ppeR Member Posts: 511
    Originally posted by skyline385

There were rumors that it will be F2P in China with subscription-like options (VIP) and a bit more drastic cash shop. Most people lost their mind and they thought that's what Gw2 EU/NA (not global) will become. 

Go go datamining :) 

• Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066
    Originally posted by skyline385

For example Guild Wars 1 wasn't b2p in China.

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• thinktank001thinktank001 Member UncommonPosts: 2,144

Wow..........  no microtransactions in GW2 for china.   

I wonder why they chose to exclude them.

Originally posted by thinktank001

I didn't see any mention of cash shop exclusion.

After if China is getting the same model as EU/US they also get microtransactions.

Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    They will have same model as in the West, which is really F2P with an up front purchase, probably the games greatest innovation.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• tom_goretom_gore Member UncommonPosts: 2,001

It's working well in the west.

That doesn't say it's ok in China, though. But I think China's MMO market has also changed considerably in the last years. The average city-dwelling Chinese guy can actually afford a computer now and play the games home as much as they want, instead of relying on internet cafes.

• MeowheadMeowhead Member UncommonPosts: 3,716

It was interesting to read that a lot of the Chinese beta players =complained= about the VIP tiering screenshot.  Just like the US/EU players did when they thought it was directed to them, the Chinese people who it ACTUALLY was testing for, many of them were specifically complaining that they wanted the same B2P.

I didn't think it'd happen, I read some quotes and thought it was just a minority of Chinese people on the forums (You can find people on forums complaining about ANYTHING).  ... but apparently it was significant enough they changed their pricing model to match the Western model, which is a surprise.

... and sort of neat.

• NaqajNaqaj Member UncommonPosts: 1,673
    Originally posted by Meowhead

It was interesting to read that a lot of the Chinese beta players =complained= about the VIP tiering screenshot.  Just like the US/EU players did when they thought it was directed to them, the Chinese people who it ACTUALLY was testing for, many of them were specifically complaining that they wanted the same B2P.

I didn't think it'd happen, I read some quotes and thought it was just a minority of Chinese people on the forums (You can find people on forums complaining about ANYTHING).  ... but apparently it was significant enough they changed their pricing model to match the Western model, which is a surprise.

... and sort of neat.

Wouldn't that be strange if it turns out the asian playerbase isn't actually all about grinding stuff and p2win? And all those business & monetization experts were so sure about that ...

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387
    Originally posted by thinktank001

no it will be heavy item shop. just now requires a box fee.

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    Revolutionary????I really saw nothing in GW2 that was revolutionary, that's way overstating the truth.

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    Convincing people to pay an up front price for a F2P game was definitely revolutionary. PWI has probably taken notice.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• moravamorava Member UncommonPosts: 31
    With that logic you can say for p2p games that you pay monthly for f2p game :D
    Originally posted by Kyleran
    Convincing people to pay an up front price for a F2P game was definitely revolutionary. PWI has probably taken notice.

Are you saying that GW2 production quality doesn't justify a box price?

Isn't a box price the normal business for videogames?

GW2 business, just like GW1, is to sell boxes - their investment and expectations are based around that (although the microtransactions numbers GW2 have been generating are so good that they might considering changing it).

Microtransactions is a bonus that allow for content updates, that arrive regularly to this game.

• Sk1ppeRSk1ppeR Member Posts: 511
    Originally posted by Gaia_Hunter

Leave the haters. He probably played whole 2 hours to be some super expert on Gw2 and innovation :) 

Plenty of articles from major outlets (including this particular website) telling Gw2 for what it really is. 

On the innovation side, idk what is and what isn't but let me tell you this. After playing Aion for couple of days I'm starting to remember why I started hating quest hubs and "delivery-boy" quests :) 

Was planning to check out TERA too once I hit the grind wall in Aion but now I'm having second thoughts about it. Given the same questing is awaiting me in there. For me getting rid of all that in Gw2 is innovation, honestly because nobody else is doing it, not even the 2 upcoming major titles. It's the same old...just with different story....

...but who cares about store when the majority of people just click "Next...Next...Next" until they get summarized objective and go for it? 

Yet i'll be missing the guy saying the infamous quote "By Ogden's hammer......what savings?" :) 

Originally posted by Sk1ppeR
    Originally posted by Gaia_Hunter

Leave the haters. He probably played whole 2 hours to be some super expert on Gw2 and innovation :) 

Plenty of articles from major outlets (including this particular website) telling Gw2 for what it really is. 

On the innovation side, idk what is and what isn't but let me tell you this. After playing Aion for couple of days I'm starting to remember why I started hating quest hubs and "delivery-boy" quests :) 

Was planning to check out TERA too once I hit the grind wall in Aion but now I'm having second thoughts about it. Given the same questing is awaiting me in there. For me getting rid of all that in Gw2 is innovation, honestly because nobody else is doing it, not even the 2 upcoming major titles. It's the same old...just with different story....

...but who cares about store when the majority of people just click "Next...Next...Next" until they get summarized objective and go for it? 

Yet i'll be missing the guy saying the infamous quote "By Ogden's hammer......what savings?" :) 

Or the "your face is funny all squished and weird" "no, your face is funny,  it's like a little raisin".

Or the charr and human kid that are the best friends despite the tension between charr and humans.

Or the centaur spearheads going from 10 to 20 gold in a day.

Or the talk about the outhouses and sewer system.

So many good talks in LA.