Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

World of Warcraft: What That Level 90 Boost Will Look Like

SBFordSBFord Associate Editor - News ManagerThe Land of AZPosts: 16,614MMORPG.COM Staff Uncommon

Well, maybe not actually, but Blizzard has posted a brand new trailer, perhaps heralding the start of preorders for the World of Warcraft expansion, Warlords of Draenor. In it, we get a first-hand look at a fanciful boost to level 90. It's definitely one you have to see for yourself. Let us know what you think in the comments.

In addition to the trailer, Blizzard's latest water cooler series takes a look at changes coming to PvP that will make the survivability gap between PvP and PvE less drastic. Among other things, player health will be doubled so that attacks shave off less life. By so doing, a player's dependence on the PvP stat of Resilience will be reduced.

Healers and healing spells will also receive love from the dev team:

One of our goals for healing in Warlords of Draenor is to tone down the raw throughput of healers relative to the size of player health pools. Currently, as healers and their allies acquire better and better gear, the percentage of a player’s health that any given heal restores increases significantly. As a result, healers are able to refill health bars so fast that we have to make damage more and more “bursty” in order to challenge them. Ideally, we want players to spend some time below full health without having healers feel like the players they’re responsible for are in danger of dying at any moment. We also think that healer gameplay would be more varied, interesting, and skillful if your allies spent more time between 0% and 100%, rather than just getting damaged quickly to low health, forcing the healer to then scramble to get them back to 100% as quickly as possible.

Read the full water cooler report on the World of Warcraft community site.





Associate Editor: MMORPG.com
Follow me on Twitter: @MMORPGMom

image

Comments

  • KostKost Vancouver, BCPosts: 1,975Member

    Where is this "brand new trailer"?

    I can't find anything new anywhere on the community site. There is also no trailer or mention of any in the latest Dev Watercooler.

    The trailer you have linked to here is from August 2013, and you have provided no link to the "brand new trailer" giving a first hand look at the 90 boost.

     
  • TalruneTalrune Cortland, ILPosts: 339Member
  • SBFordSBFord Associate Editor - News Manager The Land of AZPosts: 16,614MMORPG.COM Staff Uncommon

    The trailer is embedded in the post. O.o

    The link to the Water Cooler is also in the post right above the video. O.o

     
     

    Associate Editor: MMORPG.com
    Follow me on Twitter: @MMORPGMom

    image
  • VicDynamoVicDynamo Michigan, MIPosts: 234Member
    They should have started selling boosts to max level years ago. Maybe they wouldn't have cheapened the leveling experience so much to help people get to max faster. The damage to the open world is beyond recovery at this point. If a player has already maxxed out, they should always have the option of rolling a max level character. Even heirloom gear was a terrible idea - rendering all quest, crafted and leveling gear worthless for the entire leveling up process. Keep the open world relevent and full of story, quests and danger. I'm glad they're doing this and I hope more games follow suit.
  • jusomdudejusomdude Somewhere, KSPosts: 2,401Member
    Originally posted by Prhyme
    They should have started selling boosts to max level years ago. Maybe they wouldn't have cheapened the leveling experience so much to help people get to max faster. The damage to the open world is beyond recovery at this point. If a player has already maxxed out, they should always have the option of rolling a max level character. Even heirloom gear was a terrible idea - rendering all quest, crafted and leveling gear worthless for the entire leveling up process. Keep the open world relevent and full of story, quests and danger. I'm glad they're doing this and I hope more games follow suit.

    I almost can't stand leveling characters in wow anymore, although I'll probably never buy a level boost, it's a little too expensive. The price of an entire game for 1 not even max level character? Umm, no. I guess I'll just stick to playing my already higher level characters.

    I can see why so many players just sit in the city and spam dungeons... as a long time player, going through all the zones again is just agonizing.

    They need something to reinvigorate old zones... but that thing isn't new quests.

  • RocknissRockniss Youngstown, OHPosts: 1,034Member

    once they scale everything leveling wont matter anymore. People will be able to enjoy the older content on their mains.

    Finally a game that gets rid of leveling.

  • Colt47Colt47 Naperville, ILPosts: 310Member Uncommon

    Ethical dilemmas are fun.  Especially when they involve a game that has been around for almost a decade with an aging player base. Then again, they've exhausted every other avenue to keep players playing the game.  They made leveling easier and that failed, they made heirloom gear to make leveling easier and that failed, they made more heirloom gear and that failed, now they are just cutting out the middleman and saying "pay us up front and we will just take you to 90".  

    Things that money could go towards that would be better than WoW level boosting:

    1. Another game

    2. become a backer to some kickstarter (or make a pledge)

    3. dinner and maybe a movie.

     

    On a more serious note, why are people still playing World of Warcraft?  It's a dead game at this point that has visited every major event in the lore and has been making stuff up to keep building attractions.  

  • Kevyne-ShandrisKevyne-Shandris Hephzibah, GAPosts: 1,946Member

    As for healing: seeing is believing, because in 10 years, Blizzard hasn't fixed the issues healers have, especially in PvP. And it's not like healers didn't mention the issues and how to resolve them.

     

    One of the issues WoW devs haven't addressed is breaking the addons that specifically pinpoint healers (they don't allow raid markers on the BGs to prevent harassment, but do allow specific addons to pinpoint healers, though). They don't even need to find healers anymore to harass, which in turn, makes even wanting to be a PvP healer a no go. It's not fun dying 8x in a 30min match because you're the #1 target (worse if you're the only healer in the freaking group, too). There's times a 40man AV BG has but 3 healers for everyone...because it stinks to be that high of a priority target.

     

    This news is the same BS we get every expansion of "fixes" that turn out to be anything else. Imagine playing as a DPS and you're hit with a DPS debuff that increases over time until you can only do 10% damage. Not fun, huh? Well, that's what Blizzard has done with healers, longer you heal a person, higher the debuff %. It's there so DPS doesn't cry that they can't kill others...yet at the expense of the healer's fun...every single time.

     

    I flat out quit participating in the tomfoolery, and don't care about it anymore. When MoP was about to come out, Blizzard crazily buffed up Holy paladins (how it even got past Q&A is incredible) that a single Holy Shock could 1 shot players. Whenever that happens people clamor to play the class because it's OP, and in return we had DPS players playing a healer. It was so game breaking it was quickly fixed after the effect, but not until after the damage was done. Just like how 4.0.1 did it before Cata.

     

    Simply don't believe Blizzard unless it's a design philosophy written in their blood, as that's the only thing they won't sacrifice to the almighty dollar.

  • Dreamo84Dreamo84 Niagara Falls, NYPosts: 3,437Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Colt47

     

     

    On a more serious note, why are people still playing World of Warcraft?  It's a dead game at this point that has visited every major event in the lore and has been making stuff up to keep building attractions.  

    umm... I'm pretty sure every work of fiction just "makes stuff up". They've been making it up since Warcraft: Orcs and Humans lol. Unless you thought Azeroth was real and based on history?!

    Also, pretty certain any other MMO would be more than happy to be as "dead" as you say WoW is.

     

    image
  • Solar_ProphetSolar_Prophet Columbus, OHPosts: 876Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Colt47

    Ethical dilemmas are fun.  Especially when they involve a game that has been around for almost a decade with an aging player base. Then again, they've exhausted every other avenue to keep players playing the game.  They made leveling easier and that failed, they made heirloom gear to make leveling easier and that failed, they made more heirloom gear and that failed, now they are just cutting out the middleman and saying "pay us up front and we will just take you to 90".  

    Things that money could go towards that would be better than WoW level boosting:

    1. Another game

    2. become a backer to some kickstarter (or make a pledge)

    3. dinner and maybe a movie.

     

    On a more serious note, why are people still playing World of Warcraft?  It's a dead game at this point that has visited every major event in the lore and has been making stuff up to keep building attractions.  

    Except for you know, Sargeras and the whole burning legion thing which hasn't been addressed in quite some time. Also, of course they're 'making stuff up'. That's why its FICTION.

    Also, ~8 million players is 'dead'? Either that's an incredibly ridiculous, off-base claim, or you have impossibly high standards.

    AN' DERE AIN'T NO SUCH FING AS ENUFF DAKKA, YA GROT! Enuff'z more than ya got an' less than too much an' there ain't no such fing as too much dakka. Say dere is, and me Squiggoff'z eatin' tonight!

  • AlalalaAlalala Gabrielston, SCPosts: 311Member

    Gawd, the thought of having to load up all those (must-have says the raid leader) addons and then trudge through....panda quests (gag)...just to get to the end-game content.

     

    Or alternatively, pay $60 (and another $225 annually)

     

    Not very good choices.

  • furbansfurbans Tinbucktwo, IAPosts: 965Member
    Originally posted by Colt47

    On a more serious note, why are people still playing World of Warcraft?  It's a dead game at this point that has visited every major event in the lore and has been making stuff up to keep building attractions.  

    Because it's the one MMO with the richest content, most robust features, adequate PvP features?

    And yeah yeah yeah, I hear the same claims about Wildstar and ESO with every single MMO that was a supposed "WoW killer."  Seeing is believing and this old dog will stick with WoW until I actually see another MMO on the market that is the same quality as WoW.  I have more faith in some of these indie KS companies that have actual original ideals that any new themepark MMO by some high profile company.

    Ohhh.... and yeah WoW still dwarfs all MMOs in subs even after you combine several MMOs.  Yeah.... that is a clear indication of a "dead" MMO.

  • KrightonKrighton Anaheim, CAPosts: 72Member

    World of Warcraft is the iPhone of the MMO industry. Well played Blizzard, Well played. People still eat it up, no matter how inferior it is compared to what's current.

    Marketing to the lowest common denominator (The dumbest consumer) is simply genius.

  • jesteralwaysjesteralways ChittagongPosts: 1,037Member Uncommon

    I think this service is a good idea but what i think will is bad that they are allowing anyone to boost their toons. what it should have been is like this example : 

    I have alliance level 90 monk, now i want to play a horde monk, i am qualified to purchase a level 90 monk.

    i want to play a hunter but i do not have any level 90 hunter currently, i am not eligible to buy a level 90 hunter. 

    Right now this feature has a high chance of ruining the game even more.

    i want an open world, no phasing, no instancing.i want meaningful owpvp.i want player driven economy.i want meaningful crafting.i want awesome exploration, a sense of thrill.i want ow housing with a meaningful effect on my entire gameplay experience, not just some instanced crap.i want all of these free of cost, i don't wanna pay you a cent, game devs can eat grass and continue developing game for me.
    Seems like that is the current consensus of western mmo players.

  • tawesstawess LkpgPosts: 2,535Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by jesteralways

    I think this service is a good idea but what i think will is bad that they are allowing anyone to boost their toons. what it should have been is like this example : 

    I have alliance level 90 monk, now i want to play a horde monk, i am qualified to purchase a level 90 monk.

    i want to play a hunter but i do not have any level 90 hunter currently, i am not eligible to buy a level 90 hunter. 

    Right now this feature has a high chance of ruining the game even more.

    That would defeat the entire point of the boost... The idea is that you as a returning player quickly can catch up with your friends without having to spend 2 weeks to a month grinding through old content just to do so.

    This way you are ready to play with your friends on launchday.

  • Path4Path4 cfhPosts: 35Member
    Well when you have 7.9 million gold farmers in china playing it's easy to get 8 million players.  I think people forget this fact.  Not once have I heard how many N/A, EU players there are. 
  • jusomdudejusomdude Somewhere, KSPosts: 2,401Member
    Originally posted by Path4
    Well when you have 7.9 million gold farmers in china playing it's easy to get 8 million players.  I think people forget this fact.  Not once have I heard how many N/A, EU players there are. 

    Are you serious? Any kind of farmer is a very rare thing in the game these days... it's much more profitable for them to hack and strip accounts.

  • AlomarAlomar Middle Earth, NJPosts: 447Member Uncommon

    The fact that Wow's dumbed down and easy-moded their leveling to the point it is now AND this lol is ridiculous. As much as the open world pvp zone and type of housing interested me I doubt I'll be returning to WoW anymore. Looking forward to ESO's launch and a Western release of AA.

     

    Dozens of MMO's, RTS's, FPS's, etc.

  • AmjocoAmjoco Layton, UTPosts: 4,779Member Uncommon

    Meh and double Meh!

    Give me back this!!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZhNr563aJWs

    Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

  • jusomdudejusomdude Somewhere, KSPosts: 2,401Member
    Didn't anyone else notice the gnome grew a mustache when he lvld to 90? Not too sure this will be popular with the female characters.
  • daltaniousdaltanious waPosts: 2,144Member Uncommon
    Never used in single game such option even if available. Would feel like cheating. leveled all my alts personally and enjoyed a lot. I simply never get bored of questing and leveling in wow (but still hate last talent tree getting something usefull only after every 15th level only).
  • DerrosDerros Posts: 1,077Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by jesteralways

    I think this service is a good idea but what i think will is bad that they are allowing anyone to boost their toons. what it should have been is like this example : 

    I have alliance level 90 monk, now i want to play a horde monk, i am qualified to purchase a level 90 monk.

    i want to play a hunter but i do not have any level 90 hunter currently, i am not eligible to buy a level 90 hunter. 

    Right now this feature has a high chance of ruining the game even more.

    That's why they have faction transfers.

Sign In or Register to comment.