Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is it possible..... ESO is just an adaptation of an abandoned MMO?

Abuz0rAbuz0r Member UncommonPosts: 550

I mean, the interface is very elder scrolls.  Some of the scenery and monsters are very elder scrolls.

However, there is so much generic fantasy MMO material, far outnumbering Elder Scrolls material.

It makes me think Zenimax took over an abandoned MMO project and turned it into ESO rather than making it from scratch.

ESPECIALLY if you watch the trailer videos, theres nothing elder scrolls about them.

I plan to play ESO and I like the game for the record, just wanted to see if anyone else thought about this?

Comments

• EQBallzzEQBallzz Member UncommonPosts: 229

Are people really so bored that they need to create new and unique ways to bash ESO? This can't be serious.

• superconductingsuperconducting Member UncommonPosts: 871

Technically it's an adaptation of SWTOR, as they started out by using the Hero Engine. More on this here http://elderscrollsonline.info/news/about-game-engine

Lets just hope it does not have the same fate.

• LIOKILIOKI Member UncommonPosts: 421

I received  an email from Neverwinter the other day and all the images on the email were from The Elder Scrolls online. I was confused about what was going on. I assume they are both owned by the same parent company, so this sharing of resources may not be so far fetched.

I tried to copy paste the ad but all the images are separate from the body of the email and it won't save properly to post it up.

• Eol-Eol- Member UncommonPosts: 274

Do people realize that most of the Elder Scrolls mythos is just generic fantasy? Its that way with almost every fantasy game, even though there are differences, there are huge similarities. The fantasy genre was so strongly shaped by Tolkien and Lord of the Rings, which carried over into gaming in the 70s with Dungeons and Dragons and then video games in the 1990s. People act like these game mythos are so creative and unique when in fact they are just derivatives of the stuff that came before it with a few twists here and there.

Anyway, IMO ESO looks and feels a lot more like Elder Scrolls than I expected it to.

Elladan - ESO (AD)
    Camring - SWTOR (Ebon Hawk)
    Eol & Justinian - Rift (Faeblight)
    Ceol and Duri - LotRO (Landroval)
    Kili - WoW
    Eol - Lineage 2
    Camring - SWG
    Justinian (Nimue), Camring - DAoC

• GorillaGorilla Member UncommonPosts: 2,235
    Originally posted by superconducting

Technically it's an adaptation of SWTOR, as they started out by using the Hero Engine. More on this here http://elderscrollsonline.info/news/about-game-engineLets just hope it does not have the same fate.

Not so. They used the hero engine to prototype only while writing thier own. SWTOR uses hero. http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2012/05/25/why-the-elder-scrolls-online-isn-39-t-using-heroengine.aspx
  • sojurnesojurne Member UncommonPosts: 8

Technically it's an adaptation of SWTOR, as they started out by using the Hero Engine. More on this here http://elderscrollsonline.info/news/about-game-engine

The site linked above only shows half the information, ESO in it's current form has no traces of the Hero Engine, it is it's own system .. as explained better in this article ..  http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2012/05/25/why-the-elder-scrolls-online-isn-39-t-using-heroengine.aspx   this will give a better overview of the discussion on the hero engine topic..

I will be playing ESO myself, one cause i love the series and two because I have an imagination, to make it more than what it is to most....

Imagination the lost trait of new age gamers...

cheers.

• EQBallzzEQBallzz Member UncommonPosts: 229
    Originally posted by Eol-

Do people realize that most of the Elder Scrolls mythos is just generic fantasy? Its that way with almost every fantasy game, even though there are differences, there are huge similarities. The fantasy genre was so strongly shaped by Tolkien and Lord of the Rings, which carried over into gaming in the 70s with Dungeons and Dragons and then video games in the 1990s. People act like these game mythos are so creative and unique when in fact they are just derivatives of the stuff that came before it with a few twists here and there.

Anyway, IMO ESO looks and feels a lot more like Elder Scrolls than I expected it to.

Exactly.

• FdzzaiglFdzzaigl Member UncommonPosts: 2,433

A far fetched and highly unlikely assumption at best.

ESO isn't exactly the only MMO that has had trouble finding the right solution to get thousands of people playing together without them ruining each others experiences. And has had to compromise accordingly.

Anyone who thinks you can simply copy singleplayer gameplay and dump it into an MMO is delusional.

Feel free to use my referral link for SW:TOR if you want to test out the game. You'll get some special unlocks!

• kosackosac Member UncommonPosts: 206
    Originally posted by LIOKI

I received  an email from Neverwinter the other day and all the images on the email were from The Elder Scrolls online. I was confused about what was going on. I assume they are both owned by the same parent company, so this sharing of resources may not be so far fetched.

I tried to copy paste the ad but all the images are separate from the body of the email and it won't save properly to post it up.

sorry but you realy dont know anything about both companys.. try use google...

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435

That awkward feel is because they started out creating a 3 faction, PVP centric MMORPG and tried to wrap it around ES and it's single player game model.

Some things are just not going to fit well.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• Shoko_LiedShoko_Lied Member UncommonPosts: 2,193

The hero engine wasn't built specifically for SWTOR. What you're saying is like saying anyone who builds a game using any Unreal engine is making an adaption of any Unreal series game.

• CazNeergCazNeerg Member Posts: 2,198
    Skyrim is way closer to being "generic" fantasy than ESO is.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
    Through passion, I gain strength.
    Through strength, I gain power.
    Through power, I gain victory.
    Through victory, my chains are broken.
    The Force shall free me.

• SatariousSatarious Member UncommonPosts: 1,073
    Originally posted by Eol-

/agree

• JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849
    Felt Elder Scrollzy to me....
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

• SpiiderSpiider Member RarePosts: 1,135
    This thread is as interessting as eso...yaaaaawn.

No fate but what we make, so make me a ham sandwich please.

• timidobservertimidobserver Member UncommonPosts: 246
    Originally posted by Spiider
    This thread is as interessting as eso...yaaaaawn.

It certainly has enough interest to get you in here to make a post to bash it. For example, I don't go in the  WoW section of the forums to bash WoW because WoW isn't interesting enough for me to even waste my time doing that. 

• reeereeereeereee Member UncommonPosts: 1,636
    Originally posted by kosac

sorry but you realy dont know anything about both companys.. try use google...

Actually I vaguely remember getting an email about Neverwinter that linked to that first well polished cg trailer for ESO.  I really had no idea that was an ESO trailer until they released the second part (well after Neverwinter launched.)  Given PWE's business practices I wouldn't exactly be shocked if they had tried to get people to think ESO footage/videos were really Neverwinter.

• RocknissRockniss Member Posts: 1,034

I think you have a legit point. It feels so far from an elder scrolls game - think about it .... 3 faction pvp - the main event ... so what part of 3 faction pvp says Elder Scrolls? 

Please consider not just pvp, but the number 3, as well as all the single player experiences, and realize many games have never made it to fruition. 

What the op has stated is quite possible.

• ArndushArndush Member Posts: 303
    Originally posted by sojurne

The site linked above only shows half the information, ESO in it's current form has no traces of the Hero Engine, it is it's own system .. as explained better in this article ..  http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2012/05/25/why-the-elder-scrolls-online-isn-39-t-using-heroengine.aspx   this will give a better overview of the discussion on the hero engine topic..

I will be playing ESO myself, one cause i love the series and two because I have an imagination, to make it more than what it is to most....

cheers.

This happened with SWTOR too. They started with the Hero Engine, but it didn't meet all their needs, so it was heavily modified. What ESO now uses and what SWTOR now uses, bares little resemblance to the Hero Engine, or each other.

• ArndushArndush Member Posts: 303
    Originally posted by Rockniss

I think you have a legit point. It feels so far from an elder scrolls game - think about it .... 3 faction pvp - the main event ... so what part of 3 faction pvp says Elder Scrolls? 

Please consider not just pvp, but the number 3, as well as all the single player experiences, and realize many games have never made it to fruition. 

I think you're looking for fire to support the OPs smoke. The Zenimax team has a lot of DAoC veterans on it. This explains the three faction PvP quite simply, without the need of conspiracy theories. Besides, with the veracity of today's gaming media and fans, and things being as they are on the internet, is there anyway this game could've gone through half a decade in development without someone digging up the documents where Zenimax and Bethesda bought the code for an abandoned game? Please, that would've made news faster than you could say Molag Bal's arse.

• CazNeergCazNeerg Member Posts: 2,198
    Originally posted by Rockniss

Let's see.  In Skyrim we had the Stormcloaks (faction 1) the Imperials (faction 2) the Thalmor (faction 3) and we had mention of the Argonians driving the Dunmer out of most of Morrowind and establishing an independent kingdom (faction 4) as well as mention of part of Hammerfell no longer following the Empire because of the White Gold Concordat (faction 5).  There may even be some more I missed.  I guess you are right, three isn't nearly enough factions for an Elder Scrolls game.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
    Through passion, I gain strength.
    Through strength, I gain power.
    Through power, I gain victory.
    Through victory, my chains are broken.
    The Force shall free me.

• Randallt3mpRandallt3mp Member UncommonPosts: 168

cheers.

Imagination.  It's free, why pay to use it?

MMOs Played: FFXI,Age of Conan, Aion, Rift, SWTOR, TERA, TSW, GW2

Playing:None

Waiting For: Wildstar, The Repopulation, Archeage, TESO, Warhammer 40K:EC, EQN

• atziluthatziluth Member UncommonPosts: 1,190

Other than three faction which really is essential for dynamic PvP without turning it into a FFA gank fest... what exactly does not feel TES? 

I have registered a lot of time in all the TES series starting with daggerfall. I think the conversion from single player to MMO has been done very well. Certain things have to be altered to make the transition between genre, but overall it is much better than I originally thought it would be.  

-Atziluth-

- Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity.

• superconductingsuperconducting Member UncommonPosts: 871
    Originally posted by Arndush

cheers.

This happened with SWTOR too. They started with the Hero Engine, but it didn't meet all their needs, so it was heavily modified. What ESO now uses and what SWTOR now uses, bares little resemblance to the Hero Engine, or each other.

Yep. I get that. I get that ESO has nothing to do with SWTOR. I know that ESO uses a custom-designed engine, believe me.

Was only trying to state that ESO's roots were once shared with SWTOR. I stated it badly however.