Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SoE new Zombie MMO called H1Z1

Comments

• FinalFikusFinalFikus Member Posts: 906
    Originally posted by Force_Fire
    Originally posted by MMOExposed
    I am surprised that this site has less insider leaks than other game sites.

Agreed, it's been on lock down for sure.

Well maybe we are not the target audience.

"If the Damned gave you a roadmap, then you'd know just where to go"

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

Gotta say there's been like two good zombie games in the last few years, State of Decay and Left 4 dead 2.  The rest have mostly been bug ridden indie nonsense. I can't say the market is saturated with these titles when most aren't worth trying let alone playing.

Name one of those other titles where Zombies even matter? Those games are nothing but gank fests.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

Originally posted by Reklaw

Building a society/community was to me what SWG was about. Living in that virtual universe. Sure a big + it was in one of my most beloved universe's

Re-build society in a zombie effected sandbox game world with SWG feature's could make some interesting game.

So wile at first I thought no way this could atract me as a former SWG Vet when thinking about most of SWG community/social feature's. The more I think about it it might even work out.

Zombie apocalypse w/ cash shop. They just happen to take station cash in this version of the end of the world.

Originally posted by Distopia
    Gotta say there's been like two good zombie games in the last few years, State of Decay and Left 4 dead 2.  The rest have mostly been bug ridden indie nonsense. I can't say the market is saturated with these titles when most aren't worth trying let alone playing.

Kind of harsh. DAYZ helped the experts back down to reality.

• KuinnKuinn Member UncommonPosts: 2,072
    Originally posted by asrlohz
    The market is a bit saturated with Zombie games. I doubt it will be in demand when the game comes out.

Depends entirely on how it's made. How broad are the sandbox elements? Can we build our own towns and fortresses? What's the end role of the zombies? Can them be studied and turned into scientific content, mutations, crafting, whatnot. Will the game even be just about zombies? Aliens sent the virus and are coming in behind?

We dont know anything about the game, I would not say the game will fail because "it's just another zombie game".

• AldersAlders Member RarePosts: 2,207
    This would be so awesome, if only it wasn't zombie related.
    Originally posted by FinalFikus

Maybe a little harsh, but you missed my edit, as Dayz is a perfect example of that edit, the zombies in the game are worthlessly put in there, as they mean little to the way people play that game.

Maybe a little harsh, but you missed my edit, as Dayz is a perfect example of that edit, the zombies in the game are worthlessly put in there, as they mean little to the way people play that game.

Because it's a mod of military sim. You would be amazed at the npc soldier behavior.

There are other mods for it as well. Epoch you can even build. It wasn't too difficult for them to add to a mod:)

Look at the sales of this mod, in it's state, with bad zombies. Years had been spent telling us these kind of features would ,with out any doubt, have the opposite outcome. Same with minecraft. GTA wont even get mentioned in the mmo space.

It's fun talking about those games. It's cool to play a game people like to hear about.

Who talks about what they do in a themepark? Who would listen?

Because it's a mod of military sim. You would be amazed at the npc soldier behavior.

There are other mods for it as well. Epoch you can even build. It wasn't too difficult for them to add to a mod:)

Look at the sales of this mod, in it's state, with bad zombies. Years had been spent telling us these kind of features would ,with out any doubt, have the opposite outcome. Same with minecraft. GTA wont even get mentioned in the mmo space.

It's fun talking about those games. It's cool to play a game people like to hear about.

I have a lot of of fun with a couple different ARMA2 mods. I'm also very fond of the base games in the series, I never liked Dayz all that much. WHile the concept is sound, the execution and the way people approach it left a lot to be desired.

What do themeparks have to do with anything here though?

I have a lot of of fun with a couple different ARMA2 mods. I'm also very fond of the base games in the series, I never liked Dayz all that much. WHile the concept is sound, the execution and the way people approach it left a lot to be desired.

What do themeparks have to do with anything here though?

Ok. I see what you are saying.

Nothing to do with themeparks, everything to do with games people aren't embarrassed to actually talk about the gameplay. (that children now make fun of.)

I agree DAYZ as a commercial product is lacking, but it is  an indication of what people want, rather than a familiar fix.

Same with minecraft and the rest.

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163
    I don't understand how Smed thinks that a sandbox game that isn't sci-fi based is going to make swg vets feel right at home. I'm no fan of post apoc zombies....if i was I would play DayZ We have had a few of those now and most have kinda fell short. Most SWG vets were also Star Wars fans, (not all, but most). 

We have had high-fantasy, post apoc, semi fantasy and present world based sandbox games or games with sandbox elements. None have done what SWG did. Perhaps nothing ever will be what swg was back in 03-04, but I still keep hoping for it and based on what is in the pipeline the closest thing to it seems to be The Repopulation, and even it has it's flaws.  For me it will somewhat fill the void, but part of the experience for me in SWG was living in the world of Star Wars and being just a common bro with not much of a background trying to make a name for myself in real time.

Who knows, maybe this H1Z1 trademark is humor.....raising a game from the dead sort of joke....(one can dream) xD
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• oblivitaroblivitar Member UncommonPosts: 13

game will be fully unveiled with gameplay footage tomorrow.

heres the new site they have up.  https://www.h1z1.com/home

• BigdaddyxBigdaddyx Member UncommonPosts: 2,039
    Originally posted by oblivitar

game will be fully unveiled with gameplay footage tomorrow.

heres the new site they have up.  https://www.h1z1.com/home

Thanks for the link.

No matter what people say about SOE..they do like to bring something new to MMOS every now and then. I am sure they will add something unique to this game too like EQN.

I would love to have good zombie MMO. nothing is more fun than blasting zombies with a shotgun.

• Shoko_LiedShoko_Lied Member UncommonPosts: 2,193
    Originally posted by ste2000

Since Smedley recently announced something for the SWG veterans, this is probably what he was talking about......... a Zombie MMO.

It will probably be a cross platform game developed also for PS4, since at the moment Zombies sells, particularly on Console.

That's pretty amusing imo. If you think about it a zombie themed mmo can easily incorporate many of the features that SWG did so well. On top of that SWG and talk of zombies is interestingly symbolic.

Here's some features that go well with the zombie theme.

:Open world

:Crafting

:Resources

:Item decay

:Stimulants/Medical needs

:Construction/Homes/Fortresses

:Foraging & Harvesting

:Camping

:Hunting

:PVP

:Potential factions

:Skill trees rather than level based

:Large variety of game play styles

:Meaningful and impacting interactions with other players.

While I'm not sure if I'd enjoy a zombie mmo, it seems that there is potential for one to be good. I've been playing DayZ Standalone and while it's very early in development, I've found it to be a lot of fun and so I see a lot of potential down the road with upcoming additions.

• TelondarielTelondariel Member Posts: 1,001
    Originally posted by Reklaw

Building a society/community was to me what SWG was about. Living in that virtual universe. Sure a big + it was in one of my most beloved universe's

Re-build society in a zombie effected sandbox game world with SWG feature's could make some interesting game.

So wile at first I thought no way this could atract me as a former SWG Vet when thinking about most of SWG community/social feature's. The more I think about it it might even work out.

Zombie apocalypse w/ cash shop. They just happen to take station cash in this version of the end of the world.

Pretty much.  Dave and Smed have gone Full Retard with Station Cash fever.  Landmark is a micro transaction Cash Shop fest.  I have no doubt that EQN will be fully integrated as well.  

• AlleinAllein Member RarePosts: 2,139
    Originally posted by Telondariel

Pretty much.  Dave and Smed have gone Full Retard with Station Cash fever.  Landmark is a micro transaction Cash Shop fest.  I have no doubt that EQN will be fully integrated as well.  

What have you "needed" to buy in Landmark or does having a cash shop make it a fest by default?

• AlleinAllein Member RarePosts: 2,139
    Originally posted by Tiller
    I don't understand how Smed thinks that a sandbox game that isn't sci-fi based is going to make swg vets feel right at home. I'm no fan of post apoc zombies....if i was I would play DayZ We have had a few of those now and most have kinda fell short. Most SWG vets were also Star Wars fans, (not all, but most). 

We have had high-fantasy, post apoc, semi fantasy and present world based sandbox games or games with sandbox elements. None have done what SWG did. Perhaps nothing ever will be what swg was back in 03-04, but I still keep hoping for it and based on what is in the pipeline the closest thing to it seems to be The Repopulation, and even it has it's flaws.  For me it will somewhat fill the void, but part of the experience for me in SWG was living in the world of Star Wars and being just a common bro with not much of a background trying to make a name for myself in real time.

Who knows, maybe this H1Z1 trademark is humor.....raising a game from the dead sort of joke....(one can dream) xD

I'm one of those that this might appeal to. While I'm a Star Wars fan, I'm not a huge fan of games based on the IP. I really wanted to like SWG, but couldn't get past the IP. At the time and even since, no games have really had the same elements all in one.

I think he was talking about a spiritual successor to SWG, which would appeal to me and many others into the survival/sandbox type games. Done right by a company with some cash, it could actually work instead of DayZ/Rust which issues are very easy to see and why neither will ever really take off.

A world where working together or against one another has a lot of impact. But something more then get gear, run around, die, get gear, run around, die repeat.

He said that it would be fully playable soon so I'm assuming alpha/beta is going to be announced tomorrow. Hopefully it has some scifi and appeal to those that liked the SW in SWG, but I'm just hoping for a quality game.

• oubersoubers Member UncommonPosts: 855
    Originally posted by SpottyGekko

This could be huge...

A post-apocalyptic MMO set in a zombie-filled world, but focused on PVE not PVP survival. So still a "survival" game, but more co-op than FFA. Could even include mutant humans and animals, resulting from exposure to irradiated and chem hazard zones left over from the chaos that would have resulted as the plague went global epidemic rapidly.

Very interesting...

Yes something similar to TSW settings but with some sandbox features (the SWG part)

i would buy that...

• LazzaroLazzaro Member UncommonPosts: 548

It's suppose to be a FPS, which I don't like.

• DarwaDarwa Member UncommonPosts: 2,181

Smed posted this on Twitter yesterday:

watch http://t.co/OfEekcv325 tmw between 5-6pm PST if you are interested in the new game we haven't announced. there is gameplay footage

— John Smedley (@j_smedley) April 8, 2014

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

same info

http://eq2wire.com/2014/04/08/first-gameplay-footage-of-soes-new-game-airs-tomorrow-on-gametalklive/

first gameplay footage of an in-development game at Sony Online Entertainment will be revealed on Game Talk Live from 5-6pm PDT (8-9pm EDT, 1:00 GMT, 2:00 CET).

• BidwoodBidwood Member Posts: 554
    Now... If it is a zombie survival horror can we assume OW PVP? ;)
  • DauzqulDauzqul Member RarePosts: 1,982
    Smed! We wanted a resurrected SWG...  not a resurrected fad of last year! COMEON!
  • SomeOldBlokeSomeOldBloke Member UncommonPosts: 2,167

This could be huge...

A post-apocalyptic MMO set in a zombie-filled world, but focused on PVE not PVP survival. So still a "survival" game, but more co-op than FFA. Could even include mutant humans and animals, resulting from exposure to irradiated and chem hazard zones left over from the chaos that would have resulted as the plague went global epidemic rapidly.

Very interesting...

Yes something similar to TSW settings but with some sandbox features (the SWG part)

We already played fallen Earth.

If FE had better combat and less clunky animations I'd still be playing it. If H1Z1 is a post apocalyptic survival game with the sanbox elements of SWG I would play it so would quite a few others I would think. If it ends up being the MMO version of DayZ/WarZ I think it will have limited appeal with a similar customer base as DFUW.

• BidwoodBidwood Member Posts: 554
    Originally posted by mbd1968

This could be huge...

Very interesting...

We already played fallen Earth.

If FE had better combat and less clunky animations I'd still be playing it. If H1Z1 is a post apocalyptic survival game with the sanbox elements of SWG I would play it so would quite a few others I would think. If it ends up being the MMO version of DayZ/WarZ I think it will have limited appeal with a similar customer base as DFUW.

http://www.polygon.com/2014/4/9/5598202/h1z1-zombie-mmo-sony-online-entertainment

He talks about burning peoples' structures down and forcing them to come out...  ganking, etc. I have a hard time imagining it as anything other than DayZ MMO. Which sounds bloody fantastic. And it would be extremely popular on console.