Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Best gear will be looted, not crafted.

Comments

• AkemiZenAkemiZen Member Posts: 24
    Originally posted by Gdemami

Considering how there is way more low level dungeons these days and thus they are no longer just end game content, I do not think your statement is true.

Also, what people do once they hit level cap? Leave?

PVP!  :D  I honestly prefer a balance of end game pve and pvp but find I stop playing games that do not have end game pvp, faster.

• LahuzerLahuzer Member UncommonPosts: 782
    Originally posted by greenreen
    Originally posted by Stiler
    Originally posted by timidobserver
    Originally posted by DMKano
    Or...snip

The resource gathering, quality of resources affecting the item, having to sell at a house rather then the AH, etc.

IT allowed die hard crafters to stand out, make a name for themselves, and actually become sought after.

What other games did that aside from SWG/UO?

Well Ryzom has quality levels for materials that do that. When you harvest the item because of weather or season can change the quality too, you dig resources up. Haven and Hearth had stands to sell goods as did Wurm Online. I haven't seen both together but separately those things have been in some other games.

Mortal Online and Age of Wulin/Wushu as well...

• ImperialSunImperialSun Member Posts: 212

Originally posted by CazNeerg

The majority (a substantial majority) don't raid, and therefore don't care about raid gear.

Considering how there is way more low level dungeons these days and thus they are no longer just end game content, I do not think your statement is true.

Yes that's about the size of it...just leave. And they will.

My gut instinct  is that ZOS did not learn from BWs mistakes when making their first MMORPG and woefully underestimated how quickly players will exhaust the games content and leave. It is probably only a couple of weeks worth of play for the majority to hit level cap...hence the measures they introduced to artificially extend the grind:

nerfed pvp progression

nerfed group xp progression

hell you can't even farm to level any more. You have to follow the linear story based PvE content as the only viable means of levelling. Forget doing it via pvp any more.

that with the nerf to crafting makes this look more and more like a run of the mill, on rails themepark with gear grind.

these are the games true colours. I just can't wrap my head around why the sudden 180 on everything they promised from day one :(

Also ill never understand the logic in an official representative of the company telling a closed beta tester that they are no longer making the game for MMORPG players or elder scrolls fans, but going their own way...

that at is truly shocking even considering some of the other pr nightmares ZOS have had recently.

• KnotwoodKnotwood Member CommonPosts: 1,103

Well that PTS is ALMOST right..... 

What he fails to see on crafted gear is Legendary Enchantments that Enchanters make,  which are probably equal to that of raid gear drops with enchantments on them.  I personally see myself leveling Enchanter as a must.

Crafters will most likely seek out enchanters with legendary enchants to put on the legendary gear that they create, to make it as powerful as raid drop gear.

• ApraxisApraxis Member UncommonPosts: 1,518
    Originally posted by Latronus
    Originally posted by Apraxis
    Originally posted by timidobserver
    I find it hilarious that people think that crafters should be able to make gear that is superior to end game raid gear. On what planet does that even make sense. 

On every planet, except the raiding one. Point is, for most players it is the better solution. Crafters get their credits, pvp player don't have to raid for their gear(just buy it from crafters, and give them credits for their work), and any other player basicly, too.

And this was one reason why DAoC worked out that good.. until ToA, until the best gear did come from Raidlike content.

Ok.. i do get that raiders do want some incentive.. but can this incentive be, that every other group is forced to do raiding, too, although they all hate raiding? No.. no not really.. not in any imaginable world, planet or universe.

It's been this way for a long time.  Casuals want the best gear but don't want to raid.  Raiders want the best gear to set themselves apart from the casuals.  Crafters want to their time crafting to have meaning and be rewarded for it.  

Now, if the numbers were there that crafting should provide the best rewards then there would be more MMOs where this was the case.  I bet the demographics just will not support your argument.   If they did, then crafted gear would be the best.  Since this is a subscription game, they made the decision that would bring in the most $$$$$.

It's been since WoW.. and didn't work in any other game beside WoW. So no.. its not the answer of all and everything.

Secondly, even in WoW, Blizzard himself commited, that the group of players Raiding is a huge minority(below 5% of all WoW players), and therefore they casualiesed Raiding.. no more 40 people raids down to 20, and easier and all.

And.. you don't have to give out gear to raids. Give out money, give out resources or whatever tradable equivalent to working ingame currency. So you can balance out different activities, give all of them some currency in whatever form, and let the crafters make the gear, which can be bought from everyone with said currency.

Of course the crafter will have to invest a lot of those currency in resources and other stuff to be eben able to craft... but that is another point.

And i or noone talked about casuals or hardcore.. or are you one of those who think that only raiders are hardcore and anyone else is not? I guess you just played WoW and no other game at all. And maybe one or two bad wow clones afterwards.

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] UncommonPosts: 0
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • EvoexEvoex Member UncommonPosts: 13

You guys are dumb.

http://tamrieljournal.com/tesoelite-crafting-qa-summary-paul-sage/

Q&A as of 2 days ago with the Devs.

Q: Is the gear we create on par with the highest level gear we can get from drops?

A: Yes, or better.

Q: Will the reward of say Legendary or Epic crafts be a notable difference then a drop anyone can get from a dungeon?

A: Legendary items do not drop…

/thread

• CazNeergCazNeerg Member Posts: 2,198

Dungeon does not necessarily mean raid.  Dungeons can be small group instances, Raids are for large groups, and I'm not aware of any major release that has raids prior to endgame.  (Unless it has expansions which have raised the level cap, with leftover raids from when the cap was lower.)

And what people do at level cap varies from game to game.  Raiding isn't the only option.  And statistically speaking, yes, a very large portion of players leave when they hit level cap, because they treat endgame as exactly that, the end of the game.  There have been various numbers batted around over time, but the synthesis of the estimates is that people who are actually in any way serious about raiding only make up 5-10% of the population of any given MMO.

In ESO specifically, we have 50+, 50++, and Cyrodiil all as endgame activities with no connection to raiding.  The adventure zones aren't even dedicated zones for large groups, they include small group content as well.  So raiding, in the traditional sense, isn't even in this game.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
    Through passion, I gain strength.
    Through strength, I gain power.
    Through power, I gain victory.
    Through victory, my chains are broken.
    The Force shall free me.

• ImperialSunImperialSun Member Posts: 212
    Originally posted by ImperialSun

..snip

Also ill never understand the logic in an official representative of the company telling a closed beta tester that they are no longer making the game for MMORPG players or elder scrolls fans, but going their own way...

that at is truly shocking even considering some of the other pr nightmares ZOS have had recently.

You know, hearsay is not admissible in a courtroom.

Going their own way is what Indie developers are praised for.... do you think they fancy themselves as an Indie team that just happens to have financing. Maybe they've read all the complaints about AAA MMOs all delivering the same experience and they want to break out of it in some ways.

I've said before I hope we don't overwhelm them from all our disparate requests into losing their vision of the game while playing see-saw just to make each group satisfied. After all, they have to be the ones who come to work everyday and WANT to work on it. They have to be the ones interested in introducing the least amount of bugs and not just milking development for a paycheck. Doesn't that mean that somewhere in the scope of the project they felt like they had some "say" in the product. That's what Indies get out of their work, the ability to put the picture in their mind on paper instead of just duplicating what already exists. On their coattails are the single-player ES fans telling them it should be just like ES and on the MMO side they seem to have pulled some PTS testers in who are all about min/maxing. The only way to find that middle ground is to make a different game - is it not.

I think you are right.

sadly that means they have been bullshitting what was their core demographic for years.

also making a game based on some un fathomable middle ground that will appeal to a very small audience does not sound conducive to a successful game with a long shelf life. 

It sounds like a niche game then?

i hear what you are saying but they are not indie are they? They a mainstream professional game developer with a budget likely running into the hundreds of millions. We deserve far better than what we are getting especially as they are charging premium pricing and have already started knocking out the pay gated Content for additional money.

they are quick enough to milk fans on that basis so they should at least honour their promises and original vision and give us the game they have been promising for years not some paint by number gear treadmill that just happens to have Elder Scrolls in the title....

• achesomaachesoma Member RarePosts: 1,726

If legendary gear and enchants can only be crafted, then how exactly is the best gear looted?  I love forum logic.

Also, with soft caps, how crucial is it to have that extra percentage of stats anyway? 

Preaching Pantheon to People at PAX  PAX East 2018 Day 4 - YouTube
  • Kevyne-ShandrisKevyne-Shandris Member UncommonPosts: 2,077
    The only martyr testers are the ones not trying to up their views, follows, and likes who you don't hear from.

As the devs don't pay them to be their Q&A testers. What they get at best are part time troubleshoots, if that.

I like finding things in games that needs to be polished -- bad joins; UV problems; the stuff that screams UNPOLISHED CRAP! But if beta "testing" is more about filling out paperwork and free promotion, it's not worth the time to download, install and maintain a separate game copy (more so 2 months later and you see the same bad joins; UV problems and the same UNPOLISHED CRAP!).

And yes, someone spending their time troubleshooting DOES need to be compensated, as time = money, be it RL cash or virtual currency.

Most are on test servers NOT to troubleshoot though, they just want a launch day heads up (which is why there's so much crap still left on launch day -- quests that are buggy that go unfixed shouldn't exist, as that's a public face of a game where thousands will go see, for example. Polishing it after those thousands have already done it...is b-a-d Q&A. Moreso, if the devs have a stack of reports of the problem and it remains on the backburner for ONE stupid combat move, they find more important to waste weeks on -- hello, SOE!!!).

Cause and effect. Want good Q&A make it worthwhile in participating -- things are fixed so the troubleshooter doesn't feel like they're wasting their time, especially.

Originally posted by achesoma

If legendary gear and enchants can only be crafted, then how exactly is the best gear looted?  I love forum logic.

Also, with soft caps, how crucial is it to have that extra percentage of stats anyway? 

LEGENDARY ENCHANTMENTS, something the high lvl guy did not touch on in his post.  HES SEEING A HALF FINISHED PIECE OF GEAR AND COMPARING IT TO DROP GEAR.

Raiders only get gear equal to LEGENDARY QUALITY enchants on them.

• CazNeergCazNeerg Member Posts: 2,198
    Originally posted by Knotwood

LEGENDARY ENCHANTMENTS, something the high lvl guy did not touch on in his post.  HES SEEING A HALF FINISHED PIECE OF GEAR AND COMPARING IT TO DROP GEAR. 

Raiders only get gear equal to LEGENDARY QUALITY enchants on them.

Also, his entire argument was based on the fact that there were enchantments available on drops that aren't available on crafted gear.  So what?  Depending on a particular character's build, those enchantments may not even be something you want to use.  Just because it's unique doesn't mean it's categorically better.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
    Through passion, I gain strength.
    Through strength, I gain power.
    Through power, I gain victory.
    Through victory, my chains are broken.
    The Force shall free me.

• RhazmuzRhazmuz Member UncommonPosts: 208

But cant we put legendary enchantments on dropped gear?

The crux of the "dropped better than crafted" debate, is wheter the set bonuses which can only be gained on the dropped gear is better than the ones we can get on our crafted gear. Everything beyond that is equal right, seeing as enchants can be applied to all items, and dropped gear can come with the same traits as crafted gear?

Originally posted by Rhazmuz

The crux of the "dropped better than crafted" debate, is wheter the set bonuses which can only be gained on the dropped gear is better than the ones we can get on our crafted gear. Everything beyond that is equal right, seeing as enchants can be applied to all items, and dropped gear can come with the same traits as crafted gear?

NO you cannot put enchamtents on dropped gear that has the embedded enchaments on them.   This is what Paul Sage said yesterday....

He told the guy that you cannot upgrade the drop gear because its got the embedded enchant on it, which makes drops gear stand out (unique).

You get the drop and the enchantment on that drop gear is the Embeded enchant, then you have to get a crafter to upgrade the gear to legendary.

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] UncommonPosts: 0
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • ThorbrandThorbrand Member Posts: 1,198
    Legends are only crafted even you raid gear can only be upgraded to legends through crafting. Best gear should always be crafted only in every game.

NO you cannot put enchamtents on dropped gear that has the embedded enchaments on them.   This is what Paul Sage said yesterday....

He told the guy that you cannot upgrade the drop gear because its got the embedded enchant on it, which makes drops gear stand out (unique).

You get the drop and the enchantment on that drop gear is the Embeded enchant, then you have to get a crafter to upgrade the gear to legendary.

I can confirm that on some dropped gear it doesn't have the enchant option when you right click it and have an enchantment of that item type in inventory. That one I did see on some dropped gear. It wasn't post 50 gear so someone there has to comment on those types.

This is actually why Pual Sage wanted to say Enchanters were going to be the most lucrative craft.   Its because the blacksmith or tailor makes the end game quality gear, and then the enchanter can put a legendary enchantment on it, making it as powerful as any raid drop gear.

Thus the reason they said, crafters can make the best gear in game and make gear better.

Look at it this way, the blacksmith and Tailore make the the RING (best end game gear without an enchant), and the Enchanter puts the GEMSTONE (the legendary enchant) in it.   Giving you that DIAMOND RING,(best end game gear)

• Kevyne-ShandrisKevyne-Shandris Member UncommonPosts: 2,077

Yuck.

That's like in WoW you got their terrific piece of gear with permanent gems in it, but the gems can't be resocketed with more useful gems. And jewelcrafters can't even put their elite gems in them, either.

Eww...

Originally posted by Kevyne-Shandris

Yuck.

That's like in WoW you got their terrific piece of gear with permanent gems in it, but the gems can't be resocketed with more useful gems. And jewelcrafters can't even put their elite gems in them, either.

Eww...

That is correct.

Which is why Crafters will make the best gear in game still.   Because the Blacksmisth or Tailor gets to CHOOSE THE TRAIT, and the Enchanter gets to CHOOSE the LEGENDARY ENCHANT.

Giving you customization!!!!

Ok, but then I need clarification:

Are the set bonuses counted as a enchant or is it separate from a enchant? In other words, can I have a "normal" enchant (+10 fire dmg or + 50 hp) on a piece which also has a set bonus, or does the set bonus "replace" the enchant "slot"?

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

Yuck.

Eww...

That is correct.

Which is why Crafters will make the best gear in game still.   Because the Blacksmisth or Tailor gets to CHOOSE THE TRAIT, and the Enchanter gets to CHOOSE the LEGENDARY ENCHANT.

So......why on earth would anyone want to be a blacksmith or tailor over being an enchanter? This doesn't sound appealing at all.

Are the set bonuses counted as a enchant or is it separate from a enchant? In other words, can I have a "normal" enchant (+10 fire dmg or + 50 hp) on a piece which also has a set bonus, or does the set bonus "replace" the enchant "slot"?

Triats are usually crafted onto the gear when the gear is made,  but made without enchants. 

Set bonus's can be looked at as traits, its pretty much the exact same thing as lower crafted set bonus's at special crafting stations around the world. 

Enchants are pretty much a separate ability or boost to something, like Trifling Glyph of Potion Boost, Increase pot effects by x amount, ect.

Traits are pretty much passive lower or lesser qualities found on the gear or weapon.   Like Sturdy, Impenetrable, Reinforced, Well-fitted, Training, Infused, Exploration, Divines...  ect.  which gives a boost somehow to mostly stats or passives.

Triats are usually crafted onto the gear when the gear is made,  but made without enchants. 

Set bonus's can be looked at as traits, its pretty much the exact same thing as lower crafted set bonus's at special crafting stations around the world. 

Enchants are pretty much a separate ability or boost to something, like Trifling Glyph of Potion Boost, Increase pot effects by x amount, ect.

Traits are pretty much passive lower or lesser qualities found on the gear or weapon.   Like Sturdy, Impenetrable, Reinforced, Well-fitted, Training, Infused, Exploration, Divines...  ect.  which gives a boost somehow to mostly stats or passives.

Cheers!

Follow up question then:

Can an item contain both a trait, an enchant and a set bonus? Or is it either enchant+set or enchant+trait?

Originally posted by GeezerGamer

Yuck.

Eww...

That is correct.

So......why on earth would anyone want to be a blacksmith or tailor over being an enchanter? This doesn't sound appealing at all.

Because its like making a DIAMOND RING...

Blacksmithing and Tailoring ALLOW you to make the best end game CRAFTED gear, and UPGRADE BOTH CRAFTED AND RAID DROPS to legendary quality,  no gear in game drops as legendary quality, it has to be upgraded to legendary quality.  Its like making a ring with no DIAMOND in it (Ehchant).

Enchanting will put that LEGENDARY ENCHANT in it.   Like putting the DIAMOND into the ring.

Raiders need blacksmiths and tailors to upgrade their raid gear to LEGENARY, but base best end game crafted gear can ONLY be made by these crafters. 

On the other hand,  Enchanters cannot Enchant Raiders drop gear, because Raiders already have the embedded enchant on them.   But Enchanters can make the LEGENDARY ENCHANTS which are put into CRAFTERS MADE  best end game gear.

Does that make sense a bit more>?