Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General: Harry Potter MMO Put on Indefinite Hold, Site Disappears

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

The unofficial Harry Potter MMO has been put on indefinite hold and the website containing information about the game has disappeared from the web. There is no real reason given for the shutdown, nor is any timeline given for when the game might resurface.

t hurts us all:( our hearts are broken and torn. Bio-Hazard Entertainment and all its team love every single one of you loyal wizards and thank you for everything you have done. Sometimes people just like to ruin things for others. As loyal HP fans we all stand strong and united! Please remember here at BHE we love you all and you are the greatest fans we could have asked for! BHE site coming soon so you can join us in all our productions!

The team is discussing using what they have made and making their own MMO based off of what you guys have suggested, except not HP related. But lets all unite together and show WB that this is needed! WIZARDS UNITE!

Source: Massively

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• TygranirTygranir Member Posts: 741

So WB didn't like what they had so far. Good for them for stopping a possibly mediocre MMO

SWTOR Referral Bonus!
    Referral link
    7 day subscriber level access
    Returning players get 1 free server transfer

Leveling assistance items given to new player!

See all perks Here

• Solar_ProphetSolar_Prophet Member EpicPosts: 1,960
    Originally posted by Tygranir

So WB didn't like what they had so far. Good for them for stopping a possibly mediocre MMO

Just because WB didn't like it (supposedly) doesn't mean it was bad; it just means that WB didn't see it as being profitable enough. Big difference.

Good luck to Biohazard, if Wizard 101 can skirt the edge of the HP franchise successfully, then they should be able to do the same with a bit of effort.

AN' DERE AIN'T NO SUCH FING AS ENUFF DAKKA, YA GROT! Enuff'z more than ya got an' less than too much an' there ain't no such fing as too much dakka. Say dere is, and me Squiggoff'z eatin' tonight!

We are born of the blood. Made men by the blood. Undone by the blood. Our eyes are yet to open. FEAR THE OLD BLOOD. 

#IStandWithVic

• esarphieesarphie Member UncommonPosts: 76
    The Harry Potter franchise is fiercely protected by Rowling and Warner Bros on her behalf. She won't even let e-books of her work be distributed anywhere but through her own site. I would not have imagined this game would ever see the light of day... and so it went.
  • esarphieesarphie Member UncommonPosts: 76
    The Harry Potter franchise is fiercely protected by Rowling and Warner Bros on her behalf. She won't even let e-books of her work be distributed anywhere but through her own site. I would not have imagined this game would ever see the light of day... and so it went.
  • EndoRobotoEndoRoboto Member Posts: 275
    Didnt mmorpg just feature this game last week? Sad times.
  • arapanasatiarapanasati Member Posts: 1

According Bio-Hazard it was shut down because certain users contacted WB. The users claimed that Bio-Hazard was attempting to monetize the game. Bio-Hazard denied the claims.

I'm not sure I buy any of that. They claimed they would release the first gameplay video 'soon' and then the site goes down a day later. They also claimed they would take a staff photo to prove people were working on it. Seems too convenient that the website gets shut down just before there is any proof of a game being worked on. I remember reading something about a wizarding shop where users would (in the future) be able to buy things to support the games development. That could be the monetazation in question.

• zephyr3zephyr3 Member UncommonPosts: 1
    From the beginning, this seemed totally fake... I knew it wouldn't work out and I was surprised any major gaming news outlet would take notice of it just because of the early developer log video.

They weren't too convincing with their work history and background and the models they showed were not of good enough quality for the brand.

I don't really expect their new project to see the light of day either, but let them prove me wrong.
  • sumo0sumo0 Member UncommonPosts: 115
    How would a harry pothead, ahem, potter MMO be anyways? Would there be running 5000 harry potters around?
  • SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916

This whole "development project" had an odd smell about it.

I'm not at all surprised to see it vanish in a "puff of magic smoke", lol

• tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227

Probably for the best, if it is true that they could not monetize the game it would always remain more of a fan mod then anything else.

Now i would love a game set in that world, mostly because the  Harry Potter-series is one of the more sane and muted urban fantasy series and it lends it self very well to multiplayer. But to build a decent sized world for it would take so so much time. Especially to make the key locations impressive enough.

Any way... I wish Bio-Hazard the best of luck with future projects.

This have been a good conversation

• IncomparableIncomparable Member UncommonPosts: 1,138
    The game would have a weird community. I doubt a lot of the existing mmo community are fans of the Harry lore. It's more for kids unless it happens to be a good game that is in the Harry universe. Which will still have a weird community by mixing different demographics of age groups.

“Write bad things that are done to you in sand, but write the good things that happen to you on a piece of marble”

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766
    The people that grew up on Harry Potter are probably not interested in playing an MMORPG based on it. Unless it had dark themes, it would probably end up being a light hearted wizard MMORPG ala Wizard 101, and that wouldn't work well with the age of the group that grew up on it. I think it could have been cool but it would have been super niche.
  • SeelinnikoiSeelinnikoi Member RarePosts: 1,360

BWAHAHAHAHA!

Look what they had posted on the About page:

The online world of Harry Potter
    This production is being presented by  Bio-Hazard Entertainment.
    All characters and designs are all owned by Warner Brothers, any use of these outside of the production are strictly prohibited. This is a PRODUCTION WEBSITE and is not the final website for the MMO! 

Harry Potter online will allow millions of Harry Potter fans to come together and experience the world they have come to love. The MMO will allow the player to create their very own wizard and travel into the infamous world, battling the dark arts, learning new spells/professions and partcipate in yearly and daily events (Tri-Wizard, Christmas, etc). The game is based on the gigantic world created by Rowling and new locations and zones designed specifically for the MMO. 

This game will go beyond many of the normal MMO's by allowing players to experience a game that hinders away from the normal MMO style and layout. The game will be designed for a wide range of ages to play and enjoy. You will see familiar places and faces and even see brand new places and faces!

What to Expect!

Character/Classes

Auror-Tank

Guardian-Dps

Lamorian-Healer

Summoner- Dps- Summons pets and minions

Schools to choose from:

Hogwarts

Beauxbatons Academy of Magic

Durmstrang Institute

Professions:

Herbalist Master- creates herbs for potion masters and wand masters

Potions Master- creates potions of healing, poisoning and used for wand masters

Cloth Master- creates clothes for wizards, used for pet masters

Wand/Cane Master- creates wands for wizards and wand upgrades

Pet Master- creates pets and minions for summoners

Mount Crafter- Creates Mounts for players (unlocked at level 55)

Gatherer- Gather items for the professions as well as crafts items for wand masters, pet master and mount master

Enchanter- creates enchants for all items in game

FUN EVENTS
    Tri-Wizard Tournament
    Wizard Duels
    Wizard Battles
    Wars
    Dungeons
    Qudditch
    Christmas
    Quidditch World Cup
    Halloween

http://archive.is/52ciI

If you are a Star Wars fan, why not try the Star Wars The Old Republic?
    New players can get a welcome package and old/returning players can also get a welcome back package and 7 days free subscription time! Just click here to use my referral invitation
  • tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227

Oh god that was... Bland...

Classes... In a HP mmo... That sounds very... lazy... One of the few times i would say a free-form system is a must.

This have been a good conversation

• AlomarAlomar Member RarePosts: 1,299
    Had no idea this was even in production, which says it all tbh. An IP as big as HP, of which I am a huge fan, should only be attempted by a large AAA developer or at least have AAA experienced leads. Hate to bash oh these guys work, but an HP mmo deserves nothing but the best.
    Haxus Council Member
    21  year MMO veteran 
    PvP Raid Leader 
    Lover of The Witcher & CD Projekt Red
  • Ramonski7Ramonski7 Member UncommonPosts: 2,662
    Sorry to sound cynical but it seems like to me this was setting the stage for a KS-like project ran from their own website and the group got caught with their hands in the cookie jar. That's when WB shut it down before they could even attempt to get started.

"Small minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas."

• Pig-EyePig-Eye Member Posts: 115

They should have started making this before the last book was even released.

The window of opportunity slammed shut on an HP mmo years ago...

I got your Deliverance!

Where's my banjo?!!

• AlusciaAluscia Member UncommonPosts: 39
    Wasn't Turbine purportedly working on an HP MMO? At least, that was the buzz when WB acquired them.

If so, this is most likely a C&D. Can't really play with an IP you haven't been given leave to use.
  • SkeeterslintSkeeterslint Member UncommonPosts: 71

Well when you use an IP without permission what do you expect is gonna happen, your gonna get shutdown at the least or sued at the most.If they just got shutdown they got lucky since WB has much deeper pockets for lawyers then these clowns.

• DauntisDauntis Member UncommonPosts: 600

The lesson here is, don't work on something this grand unless you have the license. Or just be original.

I think the more likely story of it's demise was a "Cease and Desist" order from WB. Hence the poofing.

Help support an artist and gamer who has lost his tools to create and play: http://www.gofundme.com/u63nzcgk

• docminus2docminus2 Member UncommonPosts: 184

I think we are not missing out on anything with it being gone - too many IP MMOs that made coockie-cutter style games and ended up - in the best case - struggling for survival in this fierce environment.

--------------------------------------------
    Youtube newb:
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC96N3cxBuqKTPV2BQNlzGUw