Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Character animation

Any words from devs. about fixing character animation? Movement is so stiffly, no smooth animation. I think it will be big problem for many players. Look at Skyrim ,how character has fluid movement's.

hmm

Comments

• Righteous_RockRighteous_Rock Member RarePosts: 1,234

You know what - I have hated all over ESO especially with regard to animations, but go hop into some other games and look at them with the same super critical over judgmental eyes. They aren't that great either. 

I may have held ESO to a higher standard as I have critiqued it over the past couple years. 

I just wanted it to be the best it could be.

• TorgrimTorgrim Member CommonPosts: 2,088
    Jumping also feels awkward, It's like Tamriel have low gravity or something.

If it's not broken, you are not innovating.

• DoushiDoushi Member UncommonPosts: 96

but the difference between skyrim and ESO is what? 200? 500? players at the same time swinging away and running around?

animations looks bad and armors and simple. but if they were really high def, only small fraction of players would be able to enjoy pvp. You cant have everything in MMO's.

mmorpg.com, the 4chan of mmo forums.

• pekshmaerpekshmaer Member Posts: 58
    Look at GW2 , designers and animators do their jobs exelent. This is 2014 , no 2004 and some student projects(i must say that). WoW characters has smooth movements! Im big fun of Elder Scroll serial but they must follow today standards.

hmm

• Preacher26Preacher26 Member UncommonPosts: 381

The run animations are really bad. The sprint "lean" really bothered me.

Not a game breaker but certainly expected better

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

Why repair that what is not broken?

The individual animations are actually quite good, they are realistic.  But much less flashy compared to other current MMO´s. They also feel slower because of the realisme and the way ESO is played..

The only problem with the animations is the impact they make in combat. A few months ago there was no impact at all and the weapons went straight trough the enemies. And precisely that part has improved greatly over the past two months.  Now you can really feel the impact of your blows on your enemies.  When you combine this with the collision detection system that has been turned on, you get some very realistic looking combat.

So all in all there is not much wrong with the actual animations.   Its more peoples perception to in game animations that is broken.

(Also i noted that on lower graphical settings somehow animations seem way less realistic then on Ultrahigh settings, i have no explanation for that, as there is no slider to reduce animation quality, i guess its just because of the lower quality armor textures)  But my solution to this is very simple, play at highest settings and its solved... and if your computer can not handle that, better get a PS4 and play the game on there, because that might be cheaper then buying a new PC.

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• WaidenWaiden Member UncommonPosts: 500
    Originally posted by pekshmaer
    Look at GW2 , designers and animators do their jobs exelent. This is 2014 , no 2004 and some student projects(i must say that). WoW characters has smooth movements! Im big fun of Elder Scroll serial but they must follow today standards.

GW2 maybe has nice animations .. there it ends

Originally posted by Dogblaster

GW2 maybe has nice animations .. there it ends

Nice... but far from realistic...  JUst look at the thiefs annimations, jumping trough the air upside down while doing dagger attacks is barely realistic..

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• Pig-EyePig-Eye Member Posts: 115
    They are not perfect, for sure, but they are leagues better than TSW. TSW is the only game that the animations just by themselves, were the deal breaker! 

I got your Deliverance!

Where's my banjo?!!

• WaidenWaiden Member UncommonPosts: 500
    Btw I like the animations in TESO. They are realistic and that is no problem for me :)
  • ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534

yea, but maybe the ESO only devs want a fluent gameplay when fighting in zergs instead of 5 fps?

just a thought. this is 2014, and you guys STILL didnt get it.

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870
    When I played the beta, I didn't notice to much off about the animations.  Their characters seem to use decent rigs and the movements do mostly have a sense of weight.  Due to the game's art style, the animations have to be kept toned down (what some call "realistic") and not be too stylized or else it will really start to look wonky.  The big thing I notice when looking at games and their animations are their walk/run cycles and basic jump animations.  The biggest offenders in getting those done wrong are Rift and Lotro.  I think the animators at Zenimax did a decent job with the assets they had and have at least pulled off decent walk/run cycles and jumps.   For those of you not familiar with the technical theory or golden rules behind animation, then I recommend you take a look at the Principles of Animations.  It's what all of us animators learn in the beginning and try to follow religiously.

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

Originally posted by rodingo

The biggest offenders in getting those done wrong are Rift and Lotro.

Add SWTOR on the list. I still cannot wrap my head around how such high budget title have so horrid animations.

• CryptorCryptor Member UncommonPosts: 523
    How can you compare animations from Thief and Skyrim to any mmorpg?  When I read this in your posts it quickly becomes obvious that you have no clue.
  • GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

Originally posted by Cryptor

How can you compare animations from Thief and Skyrim to any mmorpg?  When I read this in
    your posts it quickly becomes obvious that you have no clue.

There is no technical reason why animations could not be on same level.

AOC, Tera, AOW, other upcoming MMOs based on modern engines.

There is no excuse for TESO animations.

• Righteous_RockRighteous_Rock Member RarePosts: 1,234
    Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

The individual animations are actually quite good, they are realistic.  But much less flashy compared to other current MMO´s. They also feel slower because of the realisme and the way ESO is played..

The only problem with the animations is the impact they make in combat. A few months ago there was no impact at all and the weapons went straight trough the enemies. And precisely that part has improved greatly over the past two months.  Now you can really feel the impact of your blows on your enemies.  When you combine this with the collision detection system that has been turned on, you get some very realistic looking combat.

So all in all there is not much wrong with the actual animations.   Its more peoples perception to in game animations that is broken.

(Also i noted that on lower graphical settings somehow animations seem way less realistic then on Ultrahigh settings, i have no explanation for that, as there is no slider to reduce animation quality, i guess its just because of the lower quality armor textures)  But my solution to this is very simple, play at highest settings and its solved... and if your computer can not handle that, better get a PS4 and play the game on there, because that might be cheaper then buying a new PC.

You need to check yourself at the door - you have serious fan boi goggles on man

• WingeyeWingeye Member Posts: 58

what i dont get is that since bethesda and zenimax kinda partnered up for this why didnt the beths give the animation data for zenimax to use? or better yet sell it to them

or does this have something to do with performance? too much moving parts?

well anyway i dont give a damn since i dont follow the game in anyway

just wanted to bring my nose into other peoples business

should have used motion capture to capture animations to begin with, way cheaper and effective than putting over 100 hours in to building a working animation rig by hand

and if they actualy used it who the hell was in the suit to make the movement so stiffy as you call it

Originally posted by Righteous_Rock
    Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

You need to check yourself at the door - you have serious fan boi goggles on man

No, i have not...

And i have actually professional annimators that work on other games agree with me...  Just browse the other 300 threads on this topic

The annimations are fine... and thats comming from someone that quit games in the past for bad animations ruining his immersion (Rift, Vanguard, EQ2) and yes thats me

• goboygogoboygo Member RarePosts: 2,141
    Any words from devs. about fixing character animation? Movement is so stiffly, no smooth animation. I think it will be big problem for many players. Look at Skyrim ,how character has fluid movement's.

Considering the design scope I didn't know they needed fixing.  This isn't a single player or "mulit" player console game, where you hop around in a room killing a boss.  There will be thousands of players together in the same general area fighting.  Each zone of Cyrodil is reported to hold up to 2000 players at once.  So its possible for all those players to converge in the same area. GW2 and WoW have smoother animations but they are rendering half the players as ESO.

• pekshmaerpekshmaer Member Posts: 58
    OK, you all talk about massive PvP over 200 players at same time ..Why waste time with PVE. Planetside 2 is for you than and there are much better and smoother character movement. Strafe Left/Right + Sprint in ESO is like from some low budget game. When you spend a lot of money on marketing and other staffs , invest some more in game engine and server.

hmm

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

No Skyrim does not have anything good in animations either.it was one of the early turn offs for me,so much bragging but the game still looked like it was using old Bethesda software/code and same lazy animations with not enough effort put into them,.It does take some work to make all those animations,my guess is the guys doing it were always under pressure to get it done FAST and not with HQ.

There is of course a fine line between super great HQ animations and low end ones,the frame rates and gpu/cpu lag.If for example you made models with tons of vertices and 150 frames of animation there is no way that would go off too smoothly,game play would be slowed down big time.

So in saying that,i think you just need to look at them and decide if good enough when compared to other games doing it better.IMO FFXI was always spot on with their animations and that is a 11 year old game made for the PS2.As i said there is always trade offs,FFXI did not have any lighting/shader effects and the models were very low poly.IMO i would keep models low poly because nobody sees anything aside from the face anyhow and sometimes even that is covered by a helmet.

TESO is just using really cheap animations,there is no arguing the fact,they COULD do better.Are they bad enough to say WHOA i am not playing,geesh of course not but if you asked a professional modeler graphic artist they would grade TESO's work as C minus.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• SolarRainSolarRain Member UncommonPosts: 32

I think the reason the the movements look so stiff and odd is because there aren't enough animation frames. The animations themselves look decent enough though. This is also really obvious when you see someone strafing quickly with A and D, and changing between two different animations rapidly, those transitions don't look smooth.

With running/sprinting it seems they didn't bother to emphasise the weight of characters as the feet impact the ground, even the heads don't bob very much/if at all. But torso and low body movements also seems to be missing.

All in all it's not terrible, but a little more work in the animation dept. adding a few more frames here and there to smooth things out would go a long way.

• Neo_LibertyNeo_Liberty Member UncommonPosts: 437
    looks great to me.

• RebelScum99RebelScum99 Member Posts: 1,090
    The animations are a bit stiff, but honestly, didn't really bother me.  Then again, I also enjoyed the combat, so I may just be crazy.  
  • NomadMorlockNomadMorlock Member UncommonPosts: 815

I've already seen two sets of patch notes that addressed improvement to animations for various abilities and classes and this is over and above the last two stress test clients used.

I really did not see much problem with the animations even in that version, but it's obvious that they are constantly revisiting this.  I'm satisfied with this.