Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Review] Shadowrun Returns: Dragonfall - The Feel of What Shadowrun Should Be

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Shadowrun: Dragonfall is the follow up DLC (a full campaign's worth) to Shadowrun Returns. Shadowrun Returns, released last summer, was the second coming to video game glory for this postmodern sci-fi meets fantasy magic apocalypse RPG franchise that knew early video game success with phenomenal games on the Super Nintendo and the Sega Genesis but more recently had its name drug through the mud in 2007 with a terrible FPS released for the X-Box 360 and Windows PC. 

Read more of Rob Lashley's Shadowrun: Dragonfall - The Feel of What Shadowrun Should Be.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• PyukPyuk Member UncommonPosts: 762
    My only real complaint about Shadowrun's latest is that defeated enemies still don't drop any loot, which makes no sense from an RPG standard. Looting one's victim's is all part of the fun. Otherwise, this is a solid RPG and a great nod to the Shadowrun IP, imo. Oh, and a more destructible environment might have been nice. *shrug*

I make spreadsheets at work - I don't want to make them for the games I play.

• gw2foolgw2fool Member UncommonPosts: 164
    NOT an mmorpg!
  • KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646

No word of a retail box for this?

Shadowrun is an amazing series, and the 16 bit games were superb.  I'd recommend picking them up and dusting off your old Genesis or SNES consoles.

Is this game an MMORPG though ....? ... doesn't sound like it.  Is it the same people that did those games 20 years ago?   I don't recognize Cliffhanger, so a bought / traded IP?  That could be bad, dunno.. maybe someone can help on this.

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

• PoporiPopori Member UncommonPosts: 334
    Originally posted by gw2fool
    NOT an mmorpg!

Bill made a post saying the site was now MMO + RPG and will cover whatever the hell they feel like because reasons.

• strawhat0981strawhat0981 Member RarePosts: 1,198
    I just started playing this game with no prior gameplay, it seems like a great game. Should I play the games pre this one?

Originally posted by laokoko
    "if you want to be a game designer, you should sell your house and fund your game. Since if you won't even fund your own game, no one will".

• PoporiPopori Member UncommonPosts: 334
    Originally posted by strawhat0981
    I just started playing this game with no prior gameplay, it seems like a great game. Should I play the games pre this one?

The prior games are way, way better than this version if you can get past the decades old graphics.

SRR is good in its own regards but it doesn't do the IP justice.  I'd really recommend playing the older games if you can get them.

• strawhat0981strawhat0981 Member RarePosts: 1,198
    Originally posted by Popori

The prior games are way, way better than this version if you can get past the decades old graphics.

SRR is good in its own regards but it doesn't do the IP justice.  I'd really recommend playing the older games if you can get them.

I can get them.... thanks for the heads up!!!

Originally posted by laokoko
    "if you want to be a game designer, you should sell your house and fund your game. Since if you won't even fund your own game, no one will".

If you want to be blown away with a terrific RPG, pick up the Genesis title first.

The SNES game is completely different.  It's good, but not as fluid as the Genesis game.

The SNES cart even costs more, go figure, when (IMO) the Genesis game was the better of the 2.

• ohgodtherats707ohgodtherats707 Member UncommonPosts: 85
    (slap to the face via internet!!) Morons!!!! stop crying on this forum about RPGs having no place here on the site. In case you didn't get the memo
  • GrakulenGrakulen Staff WriterMMORPG.COM Staff LegendaryPosts: 894

Originally posted by Karteli

If you want to be blown away with a terrific RPG, pick up the Genesis title first.

The SNES game is completely different.  It's good, but not as fluid as the Genesis game.

The SNES cart even costs more, go figure, when (IMO) the Genesis game was the better of the 2.

I liked the SNES game better but I was a SNES honk as a kid.

NOT an mmorpg!

Correct. It's a RPG Review. 

No. This is a digital download only. They funded this game through a kickstarter and digital distribution is less expensive. 

• SamhaelSamhael Member RarePosts: 1,498

NOT an mmorpg!

Bill made a post saying the site was now MMO + RPG and will cover whatever the hell they feel like because reasons.

Yes, this was a true shame for the site. It's already starting to go downhill and I expect there won't be much more point in coming here for MMO news in the very near future.

If they would re-focus to what they were actually *good* at, it would be a much stronger site. Oh well. Such a pity.

• HokieHokie Member UncommonPosts: 1,063

Thanks Rob. Never played ShadowRun much as a P&P game and never played any of the console versions. But Ive always loved the setting.

I was a little underwhelmed with SR: Returns, so Ive steered clear of this release.

I think you may have changed my mind. I'll read a few more reviews, maybe watch a video review or two.

Which leads me to ask. Why didnt you do a video gameplay review? You know, and highlight what youre talking about?

"I understand that if I hear any more words come pouring out of your **** mouth, Ill have to eat every fucking chicken in this room."

• JeardawgJeardawg Member UncommonPosts: 31
    Originally posted by Samhael

NOT an mmorpg!

Yes, this was a true shame for the site. It's already starting to go downhill and I expect there won't be much more point in coming here for MMO news in the very near future.

If they would re-focus to what they were actually *good* at, it would be a much stronger site. Oh well. Such a pity.

If your leaving, Can I have your stuff??!!!

Originally posted by Grakulen

No. This is a digital download only. They funded this game through a kickstarter and digital distribution is less expensive. 

/sigh

It's only less expensive because it was made to be so .. like a newly released movie, direct to video (or direct to television / cable).

I guess the new IP devs / producers didn't have backers to believe in their rendition of Shadorun =P  .. which leads me to wonder why....  are the new owners of the IP that bad?

• Matticus75Matticus75 Member UncommonPosts: 396

Shadowrun is an amazing series, and the 16 bit games were superb.  I'd recommend picking them up and dusting off your old Genesis or SNES consoles.

Is this game an MMORPG though ....? ... doesn't sound like it.  Is it the same people that did those games 20 years ago?   I don't recognize Cliffhanger, so a bought / traded IP?  That could be bad, dunno.. maybe someone can help on this.

The IP used to belong to FASA, and was sold to Microsoft, then sold back to the original creator of Shadowrun, this is a kickstarter project, also the music score btw is the same guy that made the SNES/SEGA games of Shadowrun, The art direct is true to the creators and original vision of the game, so its not owned by some off brand group of people looking to cash in; they are trying to bring the game back

• Matticus75Matticus75 Member UncommonPosts: 396
    I agree with the review totally, hit it EXACTLY on the head, probably the best review that matches my opinion I have ever seen IMO, good job
  • Nemesis7884Nemesis7884 Member UncommonPosts: 1,023

NOT an mmorpg!

wow nothing goes by you

• BrokenSilenceBrokenSilence Member UncommonPosts: 321
    Eh.. 
  • gw2foolgw2fool Member UncommonPosts: 164

NOT an mmorpg!

Pardon me for not reading every post on the website!

Now that I am aware of this adjustment, I will look forward to many more good rpg reviews!

• Agent_JosephAgent_Joseph Member UncommonPosts: 1,361
    NOT an mmorpg!

yeah you are right , you know it is not  mmorpg site anymore, We (mmo players) lost our  hub.

• dontadowdontadow Member UncommonPosts: 1,005
    In table top rpgs all enemies don't do loot, must don't.that's why loot feels special.

Originally posted by Hokie

Which leads me to ask. Why didnt you do a video gameplay review? You know, and highlight what youre talking about?

I did a first 15 minutes / First impressions. It's on the site somewhere. Here is the link to where it is on our YouTube : 

• EndoRobotoEndoRoboto Member Posts: 275
    Polly