Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Enough with the twitching already!!!

DauntisDauntis Member UncommonPosts: 600

Anyone else tired of people clammoring for twitch combat in MMORPGs?

Why should my geared out supposably awesome warrior have to depend on my keyboard skills in an RPG?

Twitch players have all the rest of gamedom to slap around their great eye-coordination and quick fingers, why can't we have at least one genre for us slow old bastards?

Help support an artist and gamer who has lost his tools to create and play: http://www.gofundme.com/u63nzcgk

Comments

• SomeHumanSomeHuman Member UncommonPosts: 560
    I totally agree.  I like some "twitch" games, but I usually turn to a FPS for that.  I prefer a more strategic combat in an MMORPG.  I'd be all for a turn-based combat system in some of the up-and-coming titles.  I have more fun playing a round of Hearthstone than I do running around ESO smacking stuff.  But I enjoy the world exploration and other elements of your typical mmorpg like ESO. 

Gaming since 1985; Online gaming since 1995; No End in Sight! My YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8POVoJ8fdOseuJ4U1ZX-oA

• Righteous_RockRighteous_Rock Member RarePosts: 1,234
    Whats your list of "twitch" mmorpgs look like? From my experience, there really are not many "twitch" mmorpgs available so I am wondering what your considering to be "twitch" ?
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,348

Why, indeed, should your success in a game depend on what you do in that game?  Surely the answer to that is obvious.

Now, twitch combat isn't the only way to prevent combat from being completely stupid and boring, but it is probably the most common.

• Man_of_LeisureMan_of_Leisure Member Posts: 37
    While I don't quite share the OP's aversion to action oriented combat, I do find it funny that 'tab targeting' as become a kind of boogeyman and jumping around like a crack head is considered skillful play rather than careful timing and chosen technique.
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,001
    Originally posted by Quizzical

Why, indeed, should your success in a game depend on what you do in that game?  Surely the answer to that is obvious.

pretty much this.

I have to say, I didn't LOVE pvp until I pvp'ed in tera. It's very difficult for me to go back to tab target games.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

Now, twitch combat isn't the only way to prevent combat from being completely stupid and boring, but it is probably the most common.

That depends on exactly what it is you do. In his example, his success in the game would depend on how he built his character vs the other being learning to get the timing of certain visual queues memorized.

And as far as non-twitch combat being boring.....Have you played WoW lately? I stopped recently because I couldn't keep up with the need for raiding. It wasn't for boring combat. In fact, the most popular mods downloaded in WoW are to assist with combat rotations since it's actually more difficult that probably 95% of the people in this forum will admit do.

Originally posted by GeezerGamer

That depends on exactly what it is you do. In his example, his success in the game would depend on how he built his character vs the other being learning to get the timing of certain visual queues memorized.

And as far as non-twitch combat being boring.....Have you played WoW lately? I stopped recently because I couldn't keep up with the need for raiding. It wasn't for boring combat. In fact, the most popular mods downloaded in WoW are to assist with combat rotations since it's actually more difficult that probably 95% of the people in this forum will admit do.

Doesn't that make it easy then? 

• RaysheRayshe Member UncommonPosts: 1,279
    While i dont mind a twitch style game here or there, honestly im for the traditional Rotation style game. Give the Twitch players there game so they stop whining and then we can get back into our games. So long as the market doesnt become pure twitch based i see no problem throwing them afew titles.

Because i can.
    I'm Hopeful For Every Game, Until the Fan Boys Attack My Games. Then the Knives Come Out.
    Logic every gamers worst enemy.

Originally posted by Righteous_Rock

Easy? I never thought of WoW's combat as easy. Not in the sense or context it's generally referenced here at MMORPG.COM. But if by easy, you mean giving me more information as to help me make a better decisions, then yes.

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713
    Can't we have both? You know, like we currently do?

• XiaokiXiaoki Member EpicPosts: 3,846

Dear God no.

I would rather success in combat be based on skill and not spreadsheets.

The EQ/WoW style of turn based combat has gone about as far as it will go and it is time for a change.

I want MMO combat to evolve and improve, not be cemented in the past and stagnate.

• Vermillion_RaventhalVermillion_Raventhal Member EpicPosts: 4,198
    Positioning games can be annoying too.  Sometimes locking on a target would be great in this games to allow you to run around but focus your fire on the the right person.  
  • d_20d_20 Member RarePosts: 1,878
    Originally posted by Fendel84M
    Can't we have both? You know, like we currently do?

Exactly.

OP, you still have FFXIV, WoW, Rift, etc.

As for me, I can't handle projectiles that curve around trees and corners. Movement and LoS should matter in games for a lot of people.

• TalemireTalemire Member UncommonPosts: 839
    IMO, we don't have enough of 'em. ESO is the only title I've played that actually does twitch-based combat correctly without the clunky movement-locked animations *cough*Tera*clears throat*.
    Isaiah 41:10
  • JimmydeanJimmydean Member UncommonPosts: 1,290
    I think there needs to exist both.  Some people just enjoy that style of gameplay. While it's not for me, I can certainly see the appeal especially in PVP environments. You are already bunny hopping and running in circles, might as well aim at the same time.

Easy? I never thought of WoW's combat as easy. Not in the sense or context it's generally referenced here at MMORPG.COM. But if by easy, you mean giving me more information as to help me make a better decisions, then yes.

But here is how to succeed in WoW - it's as easy as 1,2,....3 Just follow these three steps to become a legendary raid champion

1. Know your rotation, gear specs

2. Memorize the fights and move accordingly, you will know when to move because you have the fights memorized and therefore there is no need to react in a "twitch" manner

3. Execute your rotation as best you can and yes addons make that easier but addons are part of the game.

World of Warcraft - Easy peezy lemon squeezy

But here is how to succeed in WoW - it's as easy as 1,2,....3 Just follow these three steps to become a legendary raid champion

1. Know your rotation, gear specs

2. Memorize the fights and move accordingly, you will know when to move because you have the fights memorized and therefore there is no need to react in a "twitch" manner

3. Execute your rotation as best you can and yes addons make that easier but addons are part of the game.

World of Warcraft - Easy peezy lemon squeezy

As opposed to twitch based gameplay, where you aim in the general direction of the Monster you are fighting and left click.

• DauntisDauntis Member UncommonPosts: 600

There is room for both, but it seems the upward trend is towards twitch.

I guess the comparison for me is. Dungeons and Dragons vs Boffer Combat vs the SCA. If my character has attributes that help them aim or make them faster why should they be completely neutered because I only have one arm and have to play the game with just the one hand? It is an RPG I want the role-play of my characters badassness to matter and not my handicap to hold back a supposedly perfectly healthy being.

This is also, maybe a separation between MMO and an MMORPG.

Help support an artist and gamer who has lost his tools to create and play: http://www.gofundme.com/u63nzcgk

• ThorkuneThorkune Member UncommonPosts: 1,969
    I miss the combat in SWG
  • DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    Originally posted by Jimmydean

As opposed to twitch based gameplay, where you aim in the general direction of the Monster you are fighting and left click.

I think the biggest difference in the systems is when they swing back.

The whole thing really falls into games are going to keep on advancing towards "realistic" simulated fantasy and dice roll mechanics are old. Standing there bashing each other over the head rolling dice to decide the out come worked for PnP because there was a lot more imagination involved. In games it looks silly.

They're hardly perfect now but it's taking baby steps towards "realistic" fantasy.

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by Dauntis

Why should my geared out supposably awesome warrior have to depend on my keyboard skills in an RPG?

Twitch players have all the rest of gamedom to slap around their great eye-coordination and quick fingers, why can't we have at least one genre for us slow old bastards?

Because no one owe you a genre and that the devs produce for whoever they want to cater to?

Originally posted by DamonVile
    Originally posted by Jimmydean

I think the biggest difference in the systems is when they swing back.

The whole thing really falls into games are going to keep on advancing towards "realistic" simulated fantasy and dice roll mechanics are old. Standing there bashing each other over the head rolling dice to decide the out come worked for PnP because there was a lot more imagination involved. In games it looks silly.

They're hardly perfect now but it's taking baby steps towards "realistic" fantasy.

I think it boils down to......"Because they can" I don't think online games from last decade could have supported combat closer to real time.

I enjoy both styles. I am playing GW2 and I think there is room for it and of course improvements. That said, I also enjoy games where I build my character and HE does the dodging.

• YoungCaesarYoungCaesar Member UncommonPosts: 326

This is the reason mmorpgs suck these days... You want your awesome warrior to play by itself, this system only works for themeparks, in a sandbox you WANT twitch skill so it doesnt come down to a lvl 100 insta killing lvl 50-60 noobs, and gear doesnt make that big of a difference

I'm pretty sure at this point we have made a switch from MMORPG players playing MMORPGs, to FPS players playing MMORPGs. They are the wave of the future, and would probably be happier if MMORPGs were just reskinned FPSs with swords instead of guns.
  • RaysheRayshe Member UncommonPosts: 1,279
    Originally posted by YoungCaesar

This is the reason mmorpgs suck these days... You want your awesome warrior to play by itself, this system only works for themeparks, in a sandbox you WANT twitch skill so it doesnt come down to a lvl 100 insta killing lvl 50-60 noobs, and gear doesnt make that big of a difference

Not quite true, the only time Twitch skill will help you is when you know its coming. if you don't then something will one hit you without you even having time to piss yourself.

Because i can.
    I'm Hopeful For Every Game, Until the Fan Boys Attack My Games. Then the Knives Come Out.
    Logic every gamers worst enemy.