Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Secret World vs Other MMORPG's

Comments

• SiugSiug Member UncommonPosts: 1,257
    TSW is still one of the best theme park MMOs. It lacks in some aspects but excels in others like stories, questing and designs of zones. Also, I've never had any problems with TSW combat. Just hope they can develop it further and add more zones. Meanwhile I'll be playing ESO.
  • hallucigenocidehallucigenocide Member RarePosts: 1,015
    Originally posted by Pekish79

that sounds horrible tbh.. if you've gone the AR way all you have to do is set up red mist.

Yep number 7 overall in Stonehenge won and what is ur stats about PVP in TSW

before u say something is horrible would be nice to know where u come from and who are you

i am http://chronicle.thesecretworld.com/character/Ngoc

and i have no problem using builds with no consumer/builder mentality

yeah that build looks good on paper but it is not..  and as far as not usin builders you kind of shot yo self in the leg there using suppresing fire^^  anyway try as hard as you want PvP is still terrible in this game.. allthough i heard rumors of funcom trying to improve the aspect of PvP i highly doubt it will be successful. and if a game dont have good PvP it is hard for me to swallow since i cant stand farming the same dungeon/raid over and over again.

I had fun once, it was terrible.

• Pekish79Pekish79 Member Posts: 91

that built is good and it work i did 61 kills yesterday with it in stonehenge and i was highest DPS with very little death

i am still waiting you ingame name and the number of pvp kills u done...

i think some people wont admit they have no clue if you only play builder consumer you decided to limit urself to a type of built not the game forced you in it

and again PVE is boring but is PVE that is in his nature boring as repetition over and over of killing a stupid script

PVP is where the system shine and u can really do 10-16 very good built and at least 40 or more of decent built

PS: I am not sure that built will stay there in the chronicle i change built almost every match depending on the pug team i am in sometimes DPS sometimes Tank or heal... i can cover all role and each role (expect healer) i have debuff-damage-defence version

after 1 year+ of playing i still didnt do all the built i want i mainly AOE built but i would like to have 3 single target built as well 1 ranged and 2 melee one stun based and one spike damage... and again i could do a ranged spike damage as well

if a person think this combat is boring is just because he is boring to begin with and cannot think outside the box

again this because PVP if i only played PVE i would have stopped playing once finished the story making "new built" for a content i already won it's just boring in my opinion and i agree the people that only do PVE and that think combat is boring, AFTER you ended the game doing all quest and stories

• DomenicusDomenicus Member UncommonPosts: 290

Of course this game has some flaws... But the biggest ´flaw´ of all is to not appeal to the default MMO community that, somewhat is changing  bit from a mmoRPG to a mmoFPS. Most playes, today, are min-maxers who do prefer the e-peen contest (be it on PvP or be it grinding shiny armours on dungeons PvE) are the rule of the game. Its a matter of taste. Very few do prefer the story, the ambience, the feel, the RPG over  the combat, the grinding, the pvp (not that these last ones arent important, but for some they are all that matters on a MMO).

I am someone who enjoys just to log on TSW and walk over Londom going to RP on The Horned God, or visiting old places of fond memories (like in Kingsmouth and their memorable NPCs). I do agree that the combat is not as good as, in for example GW2 (which by the way I enjoy too), however thats not what I do look on TSW. I dont remember a game as TSW where most names are RP names, where you can easily find a place to RP and where I have a good breath of nostalgia (and feel of char development) when I return to low levels area (I only felt this on SWG where I would wander over Tatooine with great pleasure to remember old days).

I am not the normal audience of MMOs, I know... And I do fear I am a minory who can not help to hold the TSW game for much longer. As in SWG... But I do beg. If this game is going to fade away, let it fade away with some dignity. Different from SWG... I really hope that this game do not disappear so soon. 

• TheRealDarkeusTheRealDarkeus Member UncommonPosts: 314

I have never understood the combat complaint. I have played much worse in the MMO world. In fact, people talk about GW2's combat like it is a good thing. I don't particularly like it to be honest, too floaty, not enough impact.

Then again, I see complaints about combat in EVERY dang MMO forum or thread. I guess TSW just gets extra attention for some reason.

But whatever on that. TSW destroys most MMO games in Story, Quest Design, Lore and setting. Most games cannot even compete. That is why people play. Funcom is not perfect and nor is TSW. But man, it is better than most. And for as much as the combat is panned, this game is still #1 on the front page of this for highest rated game released. So it is doing something right. 

• Another_FanAnother_Fan Member UncommonPosts: 48
    Originally posted by TheRealDarkeus

I have never understood the combat complaint. I have played much worse in the MMO world. In fact, people talk about GW2's combat like it is a good thing. I don't particularly like it to be honest, too floaty, not enough impact.

Then again, I see complaints about combat in EVERY dang MMO forum or thread. I guess TSW just gets extra attention for some reason.

But whatever on that. TSW destroys most MMO games in Story, Quest Design, Lore and setting. Most games cannot even compete. That is why people play. Funcom is not perfect and nor is TSW. But man, it is better than most. And for as much as the combat is panned, this game is still #1 on the front page of this for highest rated game released. So it is doing something right. 

I don't know if you are just missing other frames of reference or one of those people that relentlessly tries to defend a game. TSW's combat boils down to count 5, fire filler, fire consumer, fire consumer and pray that the bugs in the client, and lag let your abilities activate while buffs are active

Add in that you get a couple animations per weapon why would you be surprised people think it's bad ?

• OrtwigOrtwig Member UncommonPosts: 1,163
    Originally posted by Another_Fan

I don't know if you are just missing other frames of reference or one of those people that relentlessly tries to defend a game. TSW's combat boils down to count 5, fire filler, fire consumer, fire consumer and pray that the bugs in the client, and lag let your abilities activate while buffs are active

Add in that you get a couple animations per weapon why would you be surprised people think it's bad ?

In other words, pretty much the same as every other MMO in existence.  Oh, except that you can equip every weapon and ability in the game and form completely unique decks/ builds. 

• DEAD.lineDEAD.line Member Posts: 424

Setting, lore, story and questing. Funny, because questing is something i'm sick of in mmos, but TSW does it better than anyone, so it's great.

The game does have alot of problem like animations, pvp, and, mostly combat. I think it's because of the builder/finisher mechanic. It's still forgivable imo since the rest feels so unique, even when compared to namy single player rpgs. Anyway, i'm not playing regularly, but follow up on updates. 

• rawfoxrawfox Member UncommonPosts: 788

I expected conspiracy, like nazi base in antarctika, pyramid secrets, area51, a city for my faction ..

I got myth and legends from gods and other beings, the whole mythology where is nothing to grab, else then your phantasy.

I got a house for my faction.

Played it for some time but could not get into that kind of phantasie ..

• ariestearieste Member UncommonPosts: 3,309
    Originally posted by Charlie12202

So, why do you love The Secret World and what makes it worth your wild and time?  

Best written MMO out of the 50+ i've played.  

Best quests - both in terms of story as well as difficulty and originality out of all MMOs i've played.

Some really great group instances - very challenging and interesting mechanics.

Great setting supported by a great art style.

Those are the things that stand out to me about TSW.  There are of course bad things too and other things that are just /meh.

"I’d rather work on something with great potential than on fulfilling a promise of mediocrity."

- Raph Koster

Tried: AO,EQ,EQ2,DAoC,SWG,AA,SB,HZ,CoX,PS,GA,TR,IV,GnH,EVE, PP,DnL,WAR,MxO,SWG,FE,VG,AoC,DDO,LoTRO,Rift,TOR,Aion,Tera,TSW,GW2,DCUO,CO,STO
    Favourites: AO,SWG,EVE,TR,LoTRO,TSW,EQ2, Firefall
    Currently Playing: ESO

• pappacubepappacube Member UncommonPosts: 99
    Later areas in TSW are not solo friendly.  The mob "tell" markers are off.  Many times i get hit when i am certain i am out of the marker area.  The mobs have waaaaaay to much HP and it takes too long to travel from point A to B exploring when you have to spend 3 min fighting every trash mob.  Game has built-in boredom requirements.... 

Differences from other MMOs:

• No classes or levels
    • Ability to equip any weapon and unlock all skills and abilities with one character
    • Clothes are statless and separate from gear  so no limit on ' look'
    • Investigation and stealth missions that require use of brain; caveat here: the game is set in modern day, so characters have in-game cellphones and browsers.  Google may be needed to solve some missions (e.g. wikipedia), but going to walkthrough sites are only necessary if stumped (or you hate using your brain).  See: 
    • Breadcrumb style quests instead of quest hubs
    • More emphasis on overarching storyline
    • Mix of high and low difficulty content within a single zone
    • Automated grouping tool, but no automated dungeon finder
    • Mix of horizontal and vertical progression
    • No falling damage

Things that are the same:

• Group dungeons and the trinity (though any character can play any role)
    • PvP is zoned and separate from PvE
    • Banking, auction house, post office
    • Cabals (guilds) best for difficult group content (nightmare dungeons, raids, lairs)
    • Endgame is a bit grindy (though there is no requirement to grind, and TSW is more about the journey anyway)
    • Mix of dodging and movement in combat, though you can cast while moving
    Originally posted by Ortwig

In other words, pretty much the same as every other MMO in existence.  Oh, except that you can equip every weapon and ability in the game and form completely unique decks/ builds. 

Crafting a build isn't combat. Don't understand why you are bringing it up. It's like telling someone who doesn't like the ride of a car, that there's lots of color choices. I also don't know where you are getting all MMOs combat is identical and TSW's is no worse. They tried for a very simplified combat system and so far have failed at getting it right. You can't go through the forums and not see the long standing bugs in how things work or the really OP abilities.

Crafting a build isn't combat. Don't understand why you are bringing it up. It's like telling someone who doesn't like the ride of a car, that there's lots of color choices. I also don't know where you are getting all MMOs combat is identical and TSW's is no worse. They tried for a very simplified combat system and so far have failed at getting it right. You can't go through the forums and not see the long standing bugs in how things work or the really OP abilities.

Sorry, you don't get to pick one aspect of combat you personally don't like (builder/consumer, which many MMOs use) and animations (which in many MMOs are average) and trash the entire combat system of one game as if it is somehow different.  If you don't like builder/consumer, then say builder/consumer.  The build system is every much as part of combat as everything else you mention, and you don't get to eliminate it from the discussion.  And please speak for yourself.  For as many people who don't like this style of combat, there are others who see no problem with it.

Sorry, you don't get to pick one aspect of combat you personally don't like (builder/consumer, which many MMOs use) and animations (which in many MMOs are average) and trash the entire combat system of one game as if it is somehow different.  If you don't like builder/consumer, then say builder/consumer.  The build system is every much as part of combat as everything else you mention, and you don't get to eliminate it from the discussion.  And please speak for yourself.  For as many people who don't like this style of combat, there are others who see no problem with it.

I think with that you have ruled yourself out.

• Agent_JosephAgent_Joseph Member UncommonPosts: 1,361
    I am still looking for answer what is wrong with TSW combat?... seems we NOT playing same game !
  • Pekish79Pekish79 Member Posts: 91

I like the game and i play it and i like the combat overall but it's not that hard to understand why they say is clunchy

the reaction time AFTER u push the button is slow u can push the other 2 botton and he is still doing the first action and queue the other two if u push other 2 botton it will end up forgetting the one you pushed before and skip it (overqueue of commnads)

not only there is no way to stop an animation if u decide in that istant that u need to impair you have to wait the end of the animation of the current ability (some are quite long) and ONLY THEN it will start slowly the impair one

some skill are faster then others so some playstyle suffer less then other but this is obvious in some of my built the chunckyness

But it's not a negative in my point of view it's more a strategic factor i know it's like that and is like that for me AND the enemy you may really hate it because u are impatient or because u push randomly button with no strategy and u feel the need to change on run all time...

but if u understand the rythm is like a dance and it require skill a different skill then smashing button wow style hyper-reactive where there in no reason to think ahede u can just istantly react to whats going on.

TSW require more brain less reflex and thats why many whine reflex if for everybody brain is for few elected primates.

• JaedorJaedor Member UncommonPosts: 1,173

Having played mostly themeparks up to that point, I was irritated in Kingsmouth by not being able to pick up a bunch of quests and run off to complete them. I knew intellectually that Funcom had designed it to NOT be a themepark with quest hubs but I was still stuck in my habit.

Then I had a lightbulb moment about how TSW is NOT your usual themepark. And it's been great ever since.

I strongly recommend you try to set aside everything you know about mmorpgs and just allow yourself to be a complete newbie for an hour. :)

I think with that you have ruled yourself out.

For someone who likes to pick one aspect of a thing and then turn around and call it the whole thing, the only person ruling themselves out is you.   Bye.

• DocBrodyDocBrody Member UncommonPosts: 1,926
    Originally posted by Jaedor

Having played mostly themeparks up to that point, I was irritated in Kingsmouth by not being able to pick up a bunch of quests and run off to complete them. I knew intellectually that Funcom had designed it to NOT be a themepark with quest hubs but I was still stuck in my habit.

Then I had a lightbulb moment about how TSW is NOT your usual themepark. And it's been great ever since.

I strongly recommend you try to set aside everything you know about mmorpgs and just allow yourself to be a complete newbie for an hour. :)

Having a quest log with a dozen quests is just stupid. Glad TSW changed that.

Their stories are great and they want you to focus on each story mission at a time.

Players can have 3 additional packet missions (less story focused) that is more than enough, aside from the main story mission and a regular story/investigation mission you can have in your log. I love the system.

• TheSedatedTheSedated Member Posts: 82
    Originally posted by Jaedor

Exactly this. And, in my opinion, TSW does a nice job in teaching you that it's not dependant on quest hubs. Look at the progression in Solomon Island. The first thing you'll see in Kingsmouth totally looks like a quest hub, but the missions there send you all over the place. When you enter Savage coast, there are some missions which lead you to the motel (which is nothing like a quest hub, but a death trap when you enter the dungeon shortly after getting to Savage Coast ^^) and then on to this friend of Boone, whose name I forgot. And that's it. From Blue Mountain on, you won't find many places where you have more than 2 main missions at one place. And if you haven't learned how all this works when you enter Blue Mountain, you're screwed anyways.

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749

That's exactly what I tried to point out to the dude in the other thread complaining about "quest hubs"... TSW's mission design is NOT quest hub based, and that's one of the strengths of the game. With it you can focus onto the story and the adventure itself.

TheSedated, he's called John Wolf, he's sending us onto two of my favourite missions, the Black House, and the League of Monster Slayers. Cool fella :)

• dreamscaperdreamscaper Member UncommonPosts: 1,592
    Originally posted by Reehay

I am exactly the type of player that The Secret World should capture - a mature adult who favors am immersive atmosphere, setting and story over graphics and flashy combat, complex and deep character progression over cookie cutter boring spam three skills gameplay.

The Secret World just  fails to do any of that.  Ya, the combat is mediocre. But so is the rest.  I bought it for 5$ and I still cant muster enough interest to play it past my first week. 

Then you are not the kind of player you think you are. TSW has the best atmosphere, setting and story in the entire genre. There are plenty of things it drops the ball on, but those are definitely not among them.

<3

• TheRealDarkeusTheRealDarkeus Member UncommonPosts: 314
    Ortwig, you pretty much took the words out of my mouth.

Sorry, my abilities come out just fine annd right on time. Not very convincing Fan....
  • fallenlordsfallenlords Member UncommonPosts: 683
    Originally posted by Charlie12202

What makes you love The Secret World? I followed this game when all of the trailers first came out and loathed over the fact that it had such a mysterious and challenging vibe to it. But when the game was released and I logged in for the first time I literally sat there and said what the f*** is this? 

I think the game play mechanics are horrid and the combat is disgustingly vague and repetitive. 

Keep in mind I haven't logged into the game for sometime so I'm not sure if the mechanics of The Secret World have changed at all. Have any of the updates helped at all? 

Why not just hop on Guild Wars 2 and go zerg around in WvW. 

My point being, I'm looking to get back into some old MMORPG's that I used to love. So, why do you love The Secret World and what makes it worth your wild and time? 

:P 

vs other MMO's it's a poor excuse for a game.  The people that defend it are the same people who have always defended it, staunch supporters who seem to my mind to lack reason and logic.   Which can mean one of two things, as far as I am concerned.

Play something good like A Realm Reborn if you want a good old fashioned MMO.  Or take a punt on alpha access to one of the many survival horror type MMO's that are out (if you want Zombies etc).  Only way I would give TSW another shot is if it came to console and was totally free.