Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Preview] Rift: Introducing the Liberator - A Raid Healing Warrior

13»

Comments

• MyrdynnMyrdynn Member RarePosts: 2,479
    Originally posted by syriinx
    Originally posted by popezaphod

"...characters from every Calling (Mage, Warrior, Rogue, Cleric) to perform every role in the game."

And with this, I am completely glad that I stopped playing.  Mage tank?  Good grief.

What would be wrong with a mage tank?  Why shouldnt a mage be able to use magic to create defensive barriers to allow it to tank?

Exactly, I played a Mage Tank as far back as Asheron's Call, I used high War damage and life spells to protect myself while my dps killed.  I even got it so where I filled 3 roles, Tank, Debuffer and Healer, and eliminated damage from my build altogehter

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] CommonPosts: 0
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • HatefullHatefull Member EpicPosts: 2,502
    Originally posted by GeezerGamer
    A new Soul huh? The Soul system should have been a crowning jewel in the MMORPG genre. The ability to create a custom and potentially limitless play style would be an amazing addition to the genre. This was the reason I bought Rift when it launched. And during the leveling process, I experimented with these souls and had a blast doing it. Then I got to 50 and realized the cookie cutter effect was worse here than it was in WoW. 

Not even possible.  Your 'opinion' is based on I don't know what but it is not fact.  You are saying lies just for the sake of saying something.  And you are wrong.  I am not a huge fan of either game, but I do at least realize the differences between that as I have actually played both of them to max level (WoW a few times, Rift twice) and I know what you are saying is dead wrong.  WoW does not have 1/10 the ability to customize a class.  Dead wrong.

This update looks good I may re-install and have an other run through.

If you want a new idea, go read an old book.

In order to be insulted, I must first value your opinion.

• MitaraMitara Member UncommonPosts: 755

Okay so now we got the classes in place. 

Now we only need two things:

1. Mages that can actually do more damage than warriors

2. Dynamic replayable content.

Once you have done Torvan rep, you will realize how exceptionally static and unrepeatable this game is.

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270
    Originally posted by Hrimnir

God this just kills me.  This community RIPPED on Rift so friggin hard for MONTHS after its release.  But then it goes F2P and has a good F2P model, and all of sudden 80% of the comments are about how great the game is and blah blah blah.

I guess its easy to overlook all those "terrible/plastic uninspired graphics" and "themepark wow clone" and "horrible lore/story", etc etc etc, when its "free".

Noone is claiming that it has stopped being a WoW clone.  As for the terrible graphics, they did a massive revamp and now the spells and animations are infinitely more impressive.  The races are still a bit dull, but the graphics are much much better than when everyone was complaining about them.   Also the horrible story / lore was fixed in the expansion.

• HorusraHorusra Member EpicPosts: 4,411
    If they add a better more diverse leveling I would come back as an alto-holic their is not much that , makes me want to roll a new character and I get bored.
  • syriinxsyriinx Member UncommonPosts: 1,383
    Originally posted by Hatefull
    A new Soul huh? The Soul system should have been a crowning jewel in the MMORPG genre. The ability to create a custom and potentially limitless play style would be an amazing addition to the genre. This was the reason I bought Rift when it launched. And during the leveling process, I experimented with these souls and had a blast doing it. Then I got to 50 and realized the cookie cutter effect was worse here than it was in WoW. 

Not even possible.  Your 'opinion' is based on I don't know what but it is not fact.  You are saying lies just for the sake of saying something.  And you are wrong.  I am not a huge fan of either game, but I do at least realize the differences between that as I have actually played both of them to max level (WoW a few times, Rift twice) and I know what you are saying is dead wrong.  WoW does not have 1/10 the ability to customize a class.  Dead wrong.

He is technically wrong, but the soul system isnt as good as it sounds on paper.  Due to synergies between souls there are definitely soul combos that are significantly better than others, and hybrid combos are much less effective now than they were before storm legion.

And despite the fact that Rift has more possibilities, WoW has much more gameplay variety and the individual builds have greater depth.  And PvP works a LOT better with WoW's system as well.

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Originally posted by Hatefull

How about............experience, and lots of it? I played both WoW and Rift extensively. Based on your post, I don't believe you have. You are admittedly "Not a huge fan of either game" You said you played "to max level". Playing TO max level is not the same as playing AT max level. And that is where the breakdown occurrs.

Since you aren't sure where my opinion comes from, I'll explain. I leveled a Mage as Nec/Lock/Chloro, basically a Warlock. This worked very successfully from 1-50........"just like you said.."TO max level" But then AT max level, it failed....completely. If I wanted to be a DPS mage in Heroics and raids, I had limited choices. I had to pick from a small hand full of  pre-established cookie-cutter builds. So just imagine in WoW. Leveling your Warlock to level cap and then discover, you need to become a Pyro-Mage. 

I'd love to hear how your highly personalized builds translated successfully into raiding or heroics.

• AroukosAroukos Member Posts: 571
    Very good and solid game with an excellent payment model. The only thing that keeps me away from turning back is the client itself.
  • WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,361
    Originally posted by evilastro
    Originally posted by Hrimnir

God this just kills me.  This community RIPPED on Rift so friggin hard for MONTHS after its release.  But then it goes F2P and has a good F2P model, and all of sudden 80% of the comments are about how great the game is and blah blah blah.

I guess its easy to overlook all those "terrible/plastic uninspired graphics" and "themepark wow clone" and "horrible lore/story", etc etc etc, when its "free".

Noone is claiming that it has stopped being a WoW clone.  As for the terrible graphics, they did a massive revamp and now the spells and animations are infinitely more impressive.  The races are still a bit dull, but the graphics are much much better than when everyone was complaining about them.   Also the horrible story / lore was fixed in the expansion.

so now all the nukes (xxx bolt) are different ? every nuke looked the same but recolored was lame....

• MaroxadMaroxad Member Posts: 28
    Originally posted by Holyfleadip

Stupid, a plated healer in a tin can protected by cloth-bag mage tank. 

"Please protect me", he said to the guy in the dress.

Mage tanking makes a lot of sense, and I have tanked as a mage in various D&D campagins. Instead of mitigating damage through plate mages can mitigate damage through wards, spells, shields, debuffs, stoneskin, illusions, defensive buffs, counterspells and so on. It will be interesting to see how the clothbag mage tanks like. It has a lot of potential for fun.

• LonzoLonzo Member UncommonPosts: 294
    Now if the game was not that PURPLE!

• NagilumSadowNagilumSadow Member UncommonPosts: 318
    Let's be honest, it doesn't get any better than Rift.
  • syriinxsyriinx Member UncommonPosts: 1,383
    Originally posted by NagilumSadow

f2p model?  Yes.

Game?  Not in my top 5

Originally posted by syriinx

f2p model?  Yes.

Game?  Not in my top 5

When are you returning to "Watch Winders revealed"?

• GregorMcgregorGregorMcgregor Member UncommonPosts: 263
    Argent back yet? No? Then not returning... EVER! G.F.Y.T.

No trials. No tricks. No traps. No EU-RP server. NO THANKS!

...10% Benevolence, 90% Arrogance in my case!
  • VoiidiinVoiidiin Member Posts: 817

Let's be honest, if Rift was as good as you imply, we would all be calling new themeparks Rift clones, not WoW clones. Fact of the matter is Rift is a very well done game but it has alot of drawbacks that lots of MMO gamers do not want to ignore.

Me, i still enjoy playing it off and on, and will continue to do so.

Lolipops !

• SimShadowsSimShadows Member UncommonPosts: 1

Well, rogues shouldn't qq anyway. Tactician Healing is actually pretty competent.

• iamflymoloiamflymolo Member Posts: 152

My two cents on a few conversation points:

Cookie cutter builds: This is truly a problem in Rift. Before Storm Legion there were endless builds that worked and you would see points spent across two and three souls work effectively in multiple situations. Since Storm Legion, end game tends to be dominated by 61 point builds, with the only choice being where you put your other 15 points, and even those choices are limited. Even the leveling process was hurt badly. I had multiple leveling builds that utilized 3 different souls in terms of point spread that were all crushed by SL changes and now a good leveling build will almost never include points spread across three souls. Hartsman has acknowledged this issue however, and has promised fixes in patch 2.7. Like all promises from all developers I'll believe it when I see it, but to be fair the Rift team did get it right the first time around so they probably could do it again.

Story and Lore: This was fixed in Storm Legion in terms of the SL zones themselves which have fantastic stories and decent lore. It remains broken in the 1-50 zones and, imo, even more broken with all the changes to the early zones along with the Iron Pine Peak change. Much of the lore that was explained well in the launch version has been dropped, leaving new players more confused than ever as to what's going on in Telara.

Graphics: There is such a colossal difference between low graphic settings and high graphic settings - the largest I've ever seen in a game - that I tend to believe that most people who complain about graphics have never been able to enjoy the high settings. My first 1-50 experience was on an older computer and when I got a new computer that could play Rift on maximum I was absolutely floored at the difference. This does not include casting animations, which remain largely uninspired compared to games that take pride in animations, but when you hear people say things like, "plastic," it tends to be an indication that they have only seen low to medium settings.

Check out the linked video at the 3:30 mark for a visual comparison of low vs high. Unfortunately I was not yet using quality game recording software at the time I made this video so some of the impact is lost, but the difference is still very noticeable.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LqjTtobXkWs

edited for easier readability within the wall of text. :)

Originally posted by Voiidiin

Let's be honest, if Rift was as good as you imply, we would all be calling new themeparks Rift clones, not WoW clones. Fact of the matter is Rift is a very well done game but it has alot of drawbacks that lots of MMO gamers do not want to ignore.

Me, i still enjoy playing it off and on, and will continue to do so.

Themepark with an acute dose of sandbox for good measure. It isn't perfectly ideal, naturally. However, with regard to design - more importantly the high level of competency in its design - Rift tends to shine above many.

• hfamgamerhfamgamer Member UncommonPosts: 64
    This soul sounds like the cleric class in WaR. I miss healing by swinging a big ass hammer :p
  • MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387

Lib+Pally+Warlord

man Warrior-Priest all the way babe!!!

Philosophy of MMO Game Design