Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Seriously??? I was a devoted fan of all ultima until this...

Comments

• Colt47Colt47 Member UncommonPosts: 549
    Do people just really like being alarmists on MMORPG.com?  I saw this post and went over to the site to see if I could find any information on the housing and it seems like someone just saw the permanent lot thing for pledgers and threw a tantrum.   I don't doubt housing is going to be pricy, but there seems to be different plot sizes that can handle differently scaled structures.  The "pay upkeep or you lose the plot" is kind of annoying, but otherwise there isn't a lot that seems bad about housing.
  • InsaneMembraneInsaneMembrane Member Posts: 130
    Originally posted by Colt47
    Do people just really like being alarmists on MMORPG.com?  I saw this post and went over to the site to see if I could find any information on the housing and it seems like someone just saw the permanent lot thing for pledgers and threw a tantrum.   I don't doubt housing is going to be pricy, but there seems to be different plot sizes that can handle differently scaled structures.  The "pay upkeep or you lose the plot" is kind of annoying, but otherwise there isn't a lot that seems bad about housing.

That is exactly what seems to happen... I just urge people to go and have a look at the site and make informed decisions. Informed decisions these days, especially if you are an EA UO fanboi, are very rare to find though.

The upkeep for the lot isn't going to be anything major, especially when you consider what happened in UO. Loss of your house and EVERYTHING included in it, and the land it was on.

When UO was actually still played and popular, you also could find land, so yeah that was a bitch.

• rildrild Member Posts: 5

Let's also remember that housing and other amenities will be available for purchase with in-game gold. There is no need to purchase anything beyond a copy of the game with your hard-earned cash. Of course, I myself have dropped a good sum into Portalarium's coffers, and it's been some of the best money I have spent in recent memory. The whole experience has been highly rewarding.

My friends who don't game certainly thing I've gone off my rocker spending so much money for digital goods. You know though, I feel the same way about it as I do NPR. I like not hearing commercials on my radio station, and I don't want some big-wig publisher messing up my dream-game! That's why I support independent game developers. And Portalarium is in turn supporting other developers like Chris Roberts and Brad McQuaid and others. Did you know Portalarium (along with Warren Spector and a host of others) has helped to launch a game development program at University of Texas? Pretty cool!

http://moody.utexas.edu/news/ut-austins-denius-sams-gaming-academy-names-industry-leader-warren-spector-director

• bills317bills317 Member Posts: 11
    Originally posted by Neo_Viper

I agree, this is my main worry about this game. For me, it's very simple - if I can't own a house (without forking out $500 or more before the game is even finished), I won't play. But since the game will be "free to play" apparently, at least I'll be able to try it without giving a cent.

And mark my words - I won't be the only one pissed if he can't get a property in the game. Housing was very important in UO too, but UO had many shards, this game will only have one game world. If they don't change that, the amount of people quitting when they realize they don't have a chance in hell to get a plot of land to build their own house will be massive.

And don't get me even started about the gold farmers. The Asians will be all over this game with massive amount of farmers grabbing all the house spots and selling them back to players for huge amounts of real world cash.

Not just Asians. See also Markee Dragon lol.  That *** hoarded more prime spots then IGE lol. 

• bills317bills317 Member Posts: 11

I nearly turned white the other day when they wanted me to increase my pledge to Lord so I can get that Castle & Lot.

How much you ask? 12k  , frickin twelve thousand dollars.  Fuck Lord British.

• Aartemis-SoHAartemis-SoH Member UncommonPosts: 9

Every lot size  is available in game with in-game money.  There will be "Limited" lots at launch and will release more with every Episode Release, However they have stated time and time again that there WILL be lots available at launch for IN-GAME purchase..

The reason they are waiting to announce the total number of available lots is because is has NOT been finalized yet.  They are going to wait to see how many they have pledged, and then add an additional amount.

You can upgrade to larger lots in-game with in-game money as well. 

As with Star Citizen, anyone backing now is doing so because they believe in the game and want it to be as good as possible.  For Backing, you get rewarded with early placement and unique house types.  You do NOT have to upgrade your pledge to get a Castle, you can earn one in game.  You may have to wait for lot to open up or new ones to release but such is a part of life.

Fast Lanes at amusement parks. First Class on Airplanes, Heck even "more comfortable seats".  Better seats at concerts...

Come on..  This is nothing new.   Pay up front or Earn it later - I don't know why it's such a point of contention.   

Read the Housing FAQ for Official Information

https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/?page_id=19#faq_52

How can I purchase a Lot Deed?

There are three ways to purchase a Lot Deed. Backers at Citizen level and above receive Lot Deed with their pledge. Players can also purchase a Lot Deed in the game through earned in game currency. Finally players can purchase Village size Lot Deeds from the Add On store.

• Aragon100Aragon100 Member RarePosts: 2,686
    Originally posted by bills317

I nearly turned white the other day when they wanted me to increase my pledge to Lord so I can get that Castle & Lot.

Yeah it is a joke. 

Only arround 20% of the playerbase will have a chance getting a house, rest will be without them, and it is a major game feature.

Good example of pay to win.

• BigdaddyxBigdaddyx Member UncommonPosts: 2,039
    Originally posted by Aragon100
    Originally posted by bills317

Yeah it is a joke. 

Only arround 20% of the playerbase will have a chance getting a house, rest will be without them, and it is a major game feature.

Good example of pay to win.

12K dollars? damn!!!!

This is why i stay away from kickstarters. 

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by InsaneMembrane
    Originally posted by Ginaz
    Hmm, I remember swg having open world housing that didn't cost people extra real money.  If a game that began its development almost  15 years ago can let players having housing like that, then why can't this one?

Who said they cant? The bottom line is that they are not going to. So you have to ask: Why?

What is the budget they're working with again? What is the projected income?

I'm not quite sure this information is public for SWG, however I would assume SWG for one had a much larger team (I've heard over 100 devs actually), secondly a larger budget as well as projected rate of income during development. Even considering today's tech. World design is essentially the same procedure as it was in SWG. It took a very large team to create that world and it was largely auto generated as far as terrain goes (IE very few landscapes created by hand.)..

I find it funny someone would expect the scope of SWG from a kickstarter with a fairly short development plan.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• PAL-18PAL-18 Member UncommonPosts: 844
    Bumbling around for too long in the game (meaning several years) will result in Lord British dying from starvation during his imprisonment, which also means a game over.

So, did ESO have a successful launch? Yes, yes it did.By Ryan Getchell on April 02, 2014.
    **On the radar: http://www.cyberpunk.net/ **

• pappacubepappacube Member UncommonPosts: 99
    ...supply and demand.....sucker born every minute....a fool and his money are soon parted.....<insert here>
    Originally posted by pappacube
    ...supply and demand.....sucker born every minute....a fool and his money are soon parted.....

Yes it would be such a better world if people stopped supporting the entertainment they enjoy.

• BigdaddyxBigdaddyx Member UncommonPosts: 2,039
    Originally posted by Distopia
    ...supply and demand.....sucker born every minute....a fool and his money are soon parted.....

Yes it would be such a better world if people stopped supporting the entertainment they enjoy.

Not that i care what people spend their money upon.. But 12K is still pretty insane

Originally posted by Bigdaddyx
    Originally posted by Distopia

Not that i care what people spend their money upon.. But 12K is still pretty insane

Oh I agree that's an outrageous price for my standards on digital products, on the other hand there are people who spend that much on a piece of chocolate. I"ve always looked at it as a status thing, some like to flaunt.

• BarCrowBarCrow Member UncommonPosts: 2,195

If there is something I like that I feel is overpriced ..I don't buy it. I've never expressed condemnation towards Ferrari or Fiat Spain because I couldn't afford their cars.

Then again...housing intrigues me for about an hour before I wonder why I wanted one in the first place. These houses look pretty sweet tho. I know there are special houses for pledges..or at least a "before any of the common peons"  head-start  type of thing in regards to housing. However, I could have sworn that a few reports, interviews, update  info on various forums and the Portalarium site itself  (as well as some posting on this topic) confirmed that housing of many types would be available under some means besides actual cash money.

• AstrobiaAstrobia Member Posts: 23
    Originally posted by BarCrow

If there is something I like that I feel is overpriced ..I don't buy it. I've never expressed condemnation towards Ferrari or Fiat Spain because I couldn't afford their cars.

Then again...housing intrigues me for about an hour before I wonder why I wanted one in the first place. These houses look pretty sweet tho. I know there are special houses for pledges..or at least a "before any of the common peons"  head-start  type of thing in regards to housing. However, I could have sworn that a few reports, interviews, update  info on various forums and the Portalarium site itself  (as well as some posting on this topic) confirmed that housing of many types would be available under some means besides actual cash money.

You are correct. We have seen 1 or 2 of the generic houses for the village lots in the early release pre-alphas. Starr Long has confirmed even the addon store lots which don't state they come with a house will come with one of these generic common "available to the masses" houses and that a lot more will be available before launch (probably looking at least 5 per lot type). Additionally I'm aware of several projects in the community to design, model and submit additional houses for Portalarium to use. These include designs like players inns, pubs and storefronts. Those that are accepted will be added to the generic "buy with in game gold" pool of houses.

Still the sentiment is partly correct. Only those who buy a land plot with real money are absolutely guaranteed to be able to place a house. There WILL be a limited number of lots available at launch, much less then the current 30k number of backers, but that's a topic worth expanding on.

Under the current design housing lots are predefined locations you can claim in towns. These towns along with their layouts are handmade to keep them looking realistic and interesting (rather then boring residential blocks) and have fixed sizes. So of course since the number of towns you can sensibly fit on the map is limited the number of lots available will be limited. 

Now before the funding campaign started they sat down and figured roughly how many towns they could sensibly fit on the map and thus how many lots they could possibly offer for sale... They then offered half that many. That doesn't mean that there will be twice as many lots available in the game at launch as get sold... There will be a large number of unclaimed lots on day one, but that estimate was the total number they could possibly fit, not how many will be ready by launch...

You see they plan for the map to be a living breathing thing. This means over time towns will grow in size and new towns will pop up, they are even adding in a limited number nodes for players and guilds to found their own player towns (which can be besieged and fought over for control). Additionally in response to player feedback they decides to explore the idea of wilderness lots, which are lone lots you can find near POI in the wilds, although they will be extremely limited in number, more will pop up over time.

They've also employed other mechanics like recently founded forest towns that have predefined player lot layouts, but they are unmarked and covered in trees. As industry in said town starts to booms the trees will be cut down and the lots will become available.

And of course there the big one... Each expansion will add more map to the game then the previous expansion. This means more towns and more housing lots. The map at launch is 1/9th of the planned map, and it will probably wind up being an even smaller ratio of the total lots that wind up becoming available over time.

So yes there will be a land rush. But active players will constantly have new opportunities to grab lots with in game gold as time goes on. As more will be gradually released each week. Also... you will always be able to claim whatever lot you want for a house in singleplayer offline mode. :-P

• AstrobiaAstrobia Member Posts: 23
    Originally posted by Solar_Prophet
    Pay to win at its finest. Garriott can go *beep* himself in the *beep* with a diseased *beep* and a *beep* with a pineapple in his *beep* while getting a *beep* in the eye socket because he's a useless sack of moose *beep*. Greedy *beep* bastard. *beep* you, you *beep*.

I'd agree with you if the housing in anyway offered any kind of advantage that wasn't otherwise available. 

All the benefits of owning a house can be gained by spending ingame gold on expanding you bank, renting vendors is the town marketplaces/bazaars (which will probably get more foot traffic anyway) and renting instanced rooms from inns or gypsy wagon camps.

There is no combat benefit to owning a house and financial benefit is purely circumstantial based on location (which will be determined by the players not the developers). They just serve as a decorative feature to show off your epeen.

As for Richard Garriott being greedy... He's one of the biggest philanthropist in terms or percent of his wealth redistributed in the entire industry... So you know... Guess if you were an EA fanboy or something I would understand where you are coming from. Just looks like blind misdirected rage at the moment. 

Originally posted by Astrobia
    Pay to win at its finest. Garriott can go *beep* himself in the *beep* with a diseased *beep* and a *beep* with a pineapple in his *beep* while getting a *beep* in the eye socket because he's a useless sack of moose *beep*. Greedy *beep* bastard. *beep* you, you *beep*.

I'd agree with you if the housing in anyway offered any kind of advantage that wasn't otherwise available. 

All the benefits of owning a house can be gained by spending ingame gold on expanding you bank, renting vendors is the town marketplaces/bazaars (which will probably get more foot traffic anyway) and renting instanced rooms from inns or gypsy wagon camps.

There is no combat benefit to owning a house and financial benefit is purely circumstantial based on location (which will be determined by the players not the developers). They just serve as a decorative feature to show off your epeen.

As for Richard Garriott being greedy... He's one of the biggest philanthropist in terms or percent of his wealth redistributed in the entire industry... So you know... Guess if you were an EA fanboy or something I would understand where you are coming from. Just looks like blind misdirected rage at the moment. 

You can buy a house for real life money and the ones that cant afford to spend 550$ will most likely not have a house in the game since only 20% of the players will be house owners.

That is pay to win.

Being a crafter with a house will be a huge advantage.

And how can they put so much time and effort on housing when so few will be able to have a house?

This game feel like a game where developers only care about players with a possibility to spend alot of real life money on the game.

• Violation419Violation419 Member UncommonPosts: 10

You can buy a house for real life money and the ones that cant afford to spend 550$ will most likely not have a house in the game since only 20% of the players will be house owners.

That is pay to win.

And how can they put so much time and effort on housing when so few will be able to have a house?

This game feel like a game where developers only care about players with a possibility to spend alot of real life money on the game.

This is a post about house lots from the executive producer... some people complain that they haven't released exact numbers and the logical answer is that they don't know how many backers they will have so they cannot release numbers until closer to release.  Hope this helps calm your fears about housing a bit :)

https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/forum/index.php?threads/lot-deeds-never-oversold.5733/

When will we get a UO style game with WoW dated graphics... Please see "Shroud of the Avatar" :)

• Violation419Violation419 Member UncommonPosts: 10
    Originally posted by BarCrow

That's correct!  We haven't had a chance to see them yet but I'm sure we will get a look at their in-game currency housing in a few months.

When will we get a UO style game with WoW dated graphics... Please see "Shroud of the Avatar" :)

• dontadowdontadow Member UncommonPosts: 1,005
    Originally posted by Mr.SeriousGuy

That is pay to win.

its meant to reflect the reality of the industrialized worlds housing market . not every one has a house . in a 3rd world country every one gets a mud hut with a thatched roof but in much of the northern hemisphere this is not the case . you need money . most mmorpgs developers just focus on money in game . oh you "hab a gajilron gold" in game big deal can you spend $550 for something in a game ?

the question is does this make the developers over privileged or greedy ? if your a true supporter you would say desperate but regardless of the one you pick it doesn't sound good 

What is the win condition and how does a house contribute to it.  If crafting was the key to success in this game, i wouldn't buy it, hate crafting.  

I see no issue with this system. Many of you are too young to realize this isn't new.  Back in the old Pen and Paper living campaigns I saw houses and plots of land in Greyhawk go for thousands of dollars.  It's your hobby, you are welcome to invest what you wish. 

• DihoruDihoru Member Posts: 2,731
    P2W for most idiots today seems to mean "Buying something with real money that I have to work for in-game! UNFAIR!!" to not say anything else regarding the mind numbing stupidity of saying xp pots are p2w or such.

Originally posted by dontadow
    Originally posted by Mr.SeriousGuy

That is pay to win.

its meant to reflect the reality of the industrialized worlds housing market . not every one has a house . in a 3rd world country every one gets a mud hut with a thatched roof but in much of the northern hemisphere this is not the case . you need money . most mmorpgs developers just focus on money in game . oh you "hab a gajilron gold" in game big deal can you spend $550 for something in a game ?

the question is does this make the developers over privileged or greedy ? if your a true supporter you would say desperate but regardless of the one you pick it doesn't sound good 

What is the win condition and how does a house contribute to it.  If crafting was the key to success in this game, i wouldn't buy it, hate crafting.  

I see no issue with this system. Many of you are too young to realize this isn't new.  Back in the old Pen and Paper living campaigns I saw houses and plots of land in Greyhawk go for thousands of dollars.  It's your hobby, you are welcome to invest what you wish. 

The more money you have real life the more you can "invest" and the better off you get when the "game" starts.

That is your version of game balance?

Really?

• GungaDinGungaDin Member UncommonPosts: 514

The more money you have real life the more you can "invest" and the better off you get when the "game" starts.

Really?

Why do you bother posting anymore?  Yes , the game won't be UO2 and housing, a major feature of the game, a lot of people can't afford.

Game is already being slammed, in the SotA forums, by backers, for all types of issues.   You aren't really adding much lol.  

Just don't get it, you just waste your time posting here.

Originally posted by GungaDin

Really?

Why do you bother posting anymore?  Yes , the game won't be UO2 and housing, a major feature of the game, a lot of people can't afford.

Game is already being slammed, in the SotA forums, by backers, for all types of issues.   You aren't really adding much lol.  

Just don't get it, you just waste your time posting here.

I suggest you use the ignore button if you dont like what i write.