Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Review] Fantasy Realm Online: Moon Haven: A Pleasant Surprise

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Ultima Online is often credited with introducing us to the concept of a virtual world rife with adventures, but even that has been subject to the test of time. Games have since phased out features in hopes to ‘make it big’ with some innovation they’ve created. Sadly, not many developers take a look at what made the genre great in the past. Fear not though, for Seamless Network Systems saves the day with Fantasy Realm Online

Read more of Tyler Rowe's Fantasy Realm Online: A Pleasant Surprise.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• falc0nfalc0n Member UncommonPosts: 385
    I certainly do miss the old school rpgs so I'll have to check this out when I get home. Thanks for an honest review.
  • RemyVorenderRemyVorender Member RarePosts: 3,991
    Nice find. Thanks for the write up. It would be great for this site to dig like this more often, instead of placing the emphasis on what's already hot.

Joined - July 2004

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713
    While I think it's cool someone making an old school MMO like this. I really don't see a reason to bother trying this instead of just playing Ultima Online? Still a good population going there.

• TorrmwyreTorrmwyre Member UncommonPosts: 66

Originally posted by Fendel84M

While I think it's cool someone making an old school MMO like this. I really don't see a reason to bother trying this instead of just playing Ultima Online? Still a good population going there.

Just for those looking for a change of pace I guess. I tried to replay Ultima Online a while back and I didn't get the same enjoyment out of it. It could just be nostalgia and rose-tinted glasses, but who knows.

• sumo0sumo0 Member UncommonPosts: 115
    One of the things that IMO made the genre great back then was the lack of F2P.
  • BrokenSilenceBrokenSilence Member UncommonPosts: 321
     I do think it's great that games like this are being made still, however this just isn't my cup of tea anymore. 
  • SomeHumanSomeHuman Member UncommonPosts: 560
    I downloaded it and played for about an hour.  I like the level of thought that has gone into all the skills and whatnot, but I don't think it should be rated as high as in the feature.  For a game like this, I think Eldevin is the place to turn right now.  I know Eldevin was rated higher, but I still feel, while this title, F.R.O., is charming, it's just not great or much fun.

Gaming since 1985; Online gaming since 1995; No End in Sight! My YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8POVoJ8fdOseuJ4U1ZX-oA

• itchmonitchmon Member RarePosts: 1,999
    Eldevin is another game kind of along these lines, if one appeals to you, you might wanna try the other.

RIP Ribbitribbitt you are missed, kid.

Currently Playing EVE, ESO

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and not clothed.

Dwight D Eisenhower

My optimism wears heavy boots and is loud.

Henry Rollins

• noluknoluk Member UncommonPosts: 22

This really grows on you over time.  I am so glad I went back and tried it again.  It can become a compulsive experience.