Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Review] South Park Stick of Truth: Becoming the Cool Kid

Comments

• DavidJagneauxDavidJagneaux Staff WriterMember UncommonPosts: 11

Originally posted by clumsytoes44

Please tell me you can kill kenny over and over for S & G's :)

Yep, after he dies in battle after a turn or two he will automatically come back to life! True story!

• BeadmanBeadman Member UncommonPosts: 154
    Bill, will there be any website changes to accommodate for the inclusion of non-MMO RPG's? Such as an easier way to work with the list of games? I would like to be able to split games up by MMORPG, SRPG, and MRPG (are those even the terms?).
  • GhavriggGhavrigg Member RarePosts: 1,308

"...simply due to the fact that the options of Fighter, Mage, Thief, and Jew are all extremely different."

It's funny, I read a couple reviews previously that said they play similarly with slight differences. I hope they are as different as you say though.

Gonna get this game as soon as possible and play the hell out of it regardless, though.

• moosecatlolmoosecatlol Member RarePosts: 1,530
    Can't really blame them for reviewing single player RPGs. With the MMO genre as awful and stagnant as it is, I find myself okay with an accurate review of a solid game.
  • DavidJagneauxDavidJagneaux Staff WriterMember UncommonPosts: 11

Originally posted by DeanGrey

Bill, will there be any website changes to accommodate for the inclusion of non-MMO RPG's? Such as an easier way to work with the list of games? I would like to be able to split games up by MMORPG, SRPG, and MRPG (are those even the terms?).

Hey Dean, in Bill's column addressing the changes he sort of sheds some light on this, stating:

"We're going to make it so that when you default to GameList.cfm on the site, only MMOs are present, and that you'll have to do some additional sorting and poking around to see the RPGs, MOBAs, etc. We're also not suddenly going to have columns and editorials about upcoming RPGs poking all over the site. Most of our RPG coverage will be like other major outlets: reviews, previews, and video let's plays. "

Article - http://www.mmorpg.com/showFeature.cfm/feature/8277/Bill-Murphy-MMO-RPG.html

Hopefully that answers your question!

• BuddyDudeBuddyDude Member UncommonPosts: 52

Originally posted by BillMurphy

Originally posted by GeezerGamer

Originally posted by Kyleran

Looking forward to the review of the new Madden NFL later this year.

Heh, Yeah, my 1st thought was "MMORPG?"

:) - MMO + RPG

Translation, we need money and MMORPGs are too boring lately.  I always go to mmorpg.com  to learn about cooking. It is not the end of the MMORPG it is the end of Google PR based niche domain names.  SEO is not what it used to be, fact. 

Onward white knights! 

• firefly2003firefly2003 Member UncommonPosts: 2,527
    Pre-ordered this  on Steam got to play for an hour last night (working ahead in classes) I tend to explore every nook and cranny in RPGs for goodies and hidden stuff :) So far Im enjoying the game and hitting kids with my Jew Stick....yes I picked the Jew class...

• firefly2003firefly2003 Member UncommonPosts: 2,527
    Especially if you like finding all the hidden goodies and easter eggs...

• IncomparableIncomparable Member UncommonPosts: 1,138
    Its a good game. All its missing is some online mode or coop mode unless that is already in. I was looking forward to this game anyways, and glad to see the review.

“Write bad things that are done to you in sand, but write the good things that happen to you on a piece of marble”

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    Originally posted by Randayn

As for South Park, there is toilet humor with some pretty profound meaning hidden behind it all.  Unfortunately, some people will just never loosen up and become a little (or alot) less sensitive...for those, there is always the Gilmore Girls.

I agree, I'm also a SP fan, Stone and Parker are great. (Team America was great too :) )

so I probably shouldn't even go this way, but I think it's only fair to say that... eer... actually the first few seasons of GG wasn't bad either :) funny and well-written dialogues, witty ripostes, cool references to movies and bands... and ofc Lauren Graham. She's awesome. The last few seasons weren't that good, but the start was cool.

edit: Incomparable, I don't think an online mode would do any good to the game. FGO was wrecked by it for example - and it also was a nice little game until Fox tried to turn it into a combat-craved, pvp action game.

• dreamscaperdreamscaper Member UncommonPosts: 1,592

Originally posted by BillMurphy

Originally posted by Kyleran

Looking forward to the review of the new Madden NFL later this year.

Heh, Yeah, my 1st thought was "MMORPG?"

:) - MMO + RPG

MMO + RPG = MMORPG, which is what this site is supposed to be about.

MMORPG - MMO = RPG, which is a different genre, and the one this article falls into.

<3

• BeadmanBeadman Member UncommonPosts: 154

Originally posted by DavidJagneaux

Originally posted by DeanGrey

Hey Dean, in Bill's column addressing the changes he sort of sheds some light on this, stating:

"We're going to make it so that when you default to GameList.cfm on the site, only MMOs are present, and that you'll have to do some additional sorting and poking around to see the RPGs, MOBAs, etc. We're also not suddenly going to have columns and editorials about upcoming RPGs poking all over the site. Most of our RPG coverage will be like other major outlets: reviews, previews, and video let's plays. "

Article - http://www.mmorpg.com/showFeature.cfm/feature/8277/Bill-Murphy-MMO-RPG.html

Hopefully that answers your question!

Thanks David!

That is a bit of a shame. It sounds like RPG content will not be easy to navigate. I hope that there is a point where simple dropdown menus let us sort by the types of games.

• AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,004

Say on the site if it's going to be other games than MMORPGs otherwise it becomes a site of random games. There is else where I can go for that. Up to you.

Still though, for South Park fans this game is worth looking into.

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

• MargraveMargrave Member RarePosts: 1,360
    The Stick of Truth is awesome! It's an awesome rpg! Funny as hell too!
  • TygranirTygranir Member Posts: 741
    Will this game be coming to the next gen systems?

SWTOR Referral Bonus!
    Referral link
    7 day subscriber level access
    Returning players get 1 free server transfer

Leveling assistance items given to new player!

See all perks Here

• CazNeergCazNeerg Member Posts: 2,198
    Originally posted by Tygranir

It's on the next gen system known as the PC.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
    Through passion, I gain strength.
    Through strength, I gain power.
    Through power, I gain victory.
    Through victory, my chains are broken.
    The Force shall free me.

• RazeeksterRazeekster Member UncommonPosts: 2,591
    Anyone else find it slightly funny that one of the very few popular IPs that has successfully transitioned itself into a good game is... South Park? Matt Stone and Trey Parker can do no wrong in my eyes.

Smile

• TygranirTygranir Member Posts: 741
    Originally posted by CazNeerg

PCs don't have generations, components of them do. Thanks for the reply though. For more clarification, does anyone know if this game will be ported to PS4?

SWTOR Referral Bonus!
    Referral link
    7 day subscriber level access
    Returning players get 1 free server transfer

Leveling assistance items given to new player!

See all perks Here

• RazeeksterRazeekster Member UncommonPosts: 2,591

PCs don't have generations, components of them do. Thanks for the reply though. For more clarification, does anyone know if this game will be ported to PS4?

No, it will not. It is only for PS3, Xbox 360, and PC. Maybe in the future it will be ported but that is unlikely.

Smile

• JJ82JJ82 Member UncommonPosts: 1,258

Originally posted by Samhael

MMORPG - MMO = South Park Stick of Truth

The article was good but the topic doesn't belong here.

So what you are saying is that they should only review games which can fairly be labeled as both MMOs and RPGs?  Because that would knock a lot, arguably most, of the MMOs out of the running.

Why do we come to this site instead of IGN?

I came for the promotions and to see if the forums are as bad as its reputation is. I was not disappointed.

Anyway, have the game now and its a blast. Innovative in so many ways, funny story and tons of jokes.

"People who tell you you’re awesome are useless. No, dangerous.

They are worse than useless because you want to believe them. They will defend you against critiques that are valid. They will seduce you into believing you are done learning, or into thinking that your work is better than it actually is." ~Raph Koster
    http://www.raphkoster.com/2013/10/14/on-getting-criticism/

• AIMonsterAIMonster Member UncommonPosts: 2,059

20 hours seems a bit inaccurate.  Most reviewers as well as me clocked in at about 12-14 hours.  The main story takes about 8-10 hours.  Full completion efficiently probably takes about 15 hours (you have to be thorough as there are a lot of missables and you have to load a save before doing the "choice" you get in the game without spoiling anything).  I'm really not sure what you'd have to be doing to get the 20 hour+ number.  I'd say 40 hours is about average for an RPG, so this is considerably shorter than average.

The game is worth it if you are a South Park fan.  If you aren't you probably won't appreciate a lot of the humor and references to South Park, though they also parody a lot of things including video games.  Still, at full price you are looking at the same price per hour a movie would cost (possibly more) and for most people that's very expensive.

• CazNeergCazNeerg Member Posts: 2,198
    Originally posted by AIMonster

The game is worth it if you are a South Park fan.  If you aren't you probably won't appreciate a lot of the humor and references to South Park, though they also parody a lot of things including video games.  Still, at full price you are looking at the same price per hour a movie would cost (possibly more) and for most people that's very expensive.

That is the only thing that has stopped me from buying so far, the price per hour of value seems a little high.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
    Through passion, I gain strength.
    Through strength, I gain power.
    Through power, I gain victory.
    Through victory, my chains are broken.
    The Force shall free me.

• dikebom12dikebom12 Member Posts: 1
    Its a very good game, playing with warrior and now im with mage, but the game its very easy like the review said and very fast, done all the sub quests of the game with only 7 hours of gameplay. to bee exaclty 7:00:54 hehe, but u guys must play this game. FUN TIMESS
  • dave6660dave6660 Member UncommonPosts: 2,699
    Does it come with a bag of Jew gold?

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville

• WightyWighty Member UncommonPosts: 699

It's a WOW clone RPG... Cartooney graphics and they use swords and stuff...

What are your other Hobbies?

Gaming is Dirt Cheap compared to this...