Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Secret World: Funcom Profits Down Due to Crowded F2P MMO Space

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Funcom has released its Q4 2013 financial statements. The numbers are down sharply from a year ago. According to the report, Age of Conan and The Secret World are still viable properties that make money but the revenue gain is leaner due to an increasingly crowded free to play MMO market. Funcom reported revenue of $23.6M in Q4 2012 as opposed to $21.4M in Q4 2013.

According to the Funcom Financial Report:

"The activity level decreased leading up to the November and December sale, resulting in lower revenue as expected. Player numbers and revenues from Age of Conan and Anarchy Online were relatively stable in the fourth quarter considering the competitive pressure.

Check out the full report at th link above.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    So they're blaming competition for numbers being down? Doesn't that mean the only reason why they... never mind. *Sigh*
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • RhazmuzRhazmuz Member UncommonPosts: 208

I think a reason is also the ever sleep enducing pace with which they release new updates.. Now Tokyo is postponed yet again, and have even been broken down into further separate updates in order to get anything out in a somewhat timely fashion.  

AOC and TSW have been great game for me, but Ive stopped playing bot due to how slow they are at updating them.. a shame.. At least ESO is here soon

• VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872

There is PLENTY of room on the market for a good game.

Unfortunately most companies aren't able to deliver such, that's the problem.

• Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    Originally posted by FlyByKnight
    So they're blaming competition for numbers being down? Doesn't that mean the only reason why they... never mind. *Sigh*

It's a valid reason, and one that even applies to the big players like WoW.

There's a ridiculous amount of MMO's on the market right now, with new ones popping up constantly.

Sure, it's not the only reason, but it's definitely something that's part of it.

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• jazneojazneo Member UncommonPosts: 52

the combat in game sucks that reason no one play it 

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

This is what happens when you do not not make proper PvP in 2014. 

TSW has some of the best PvE in the business.

Let this be a lesson.

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • Solar_ProphetSolar_Prophet Member EpicPosts: 1,960
    Originally posted by bcbully

Let this be a lesson.

The PvP crowd is niche. Always has been, always will be. Period. So unless you actually have some kind of proof to back up your ridiculous assertion, kindly go back to your little badly translated kung fu game that almost nobody has heard of or cares about (despite the fact it's FFA PvP). Thanks.

AN' DERE AIN'T NO SUCH FING AS ENUFF DAKKA, YA GROT! Enuff'z more than ya got an' less than too much an' there ain't no such fing as too much dakka. Say dere is, and me Squiggoff'z eatin' tonight!

We are born of the blood. Made men by the blood. Undone by the blood. Our eyes are yet to open. FEAR THE OLD BLOOD. 

#IStandWithVic

• KrimzinKrimzin Member UncommonPosts: 687

F2P is going to come crashing down in the near future. Sub Games like Eso are going to show developers that players dont mind paying a monthly for a solid game.

Just because I'm a gamer doesn't mean I drive a Honda.
    Best Duo Ever

Lets see your Battle Stations /r/battlestations
    Battle Station 
  • BraindomeBraindome Member UncommonPosts: 959

Let this be a lesson.

What kinda statement is that? Lol.

• MamasGunMamasGun Member Posts: 152

Let this be a lesson.

Lol. No, no, no no no no, no.  The reason their numbers are down is not because no one is PvP'ing.

Loves: SMITE, WildStar, Project Zomboid, PSO2, DCUO,

Worst Online Communities: WoW/WoD(the OG MMO Trolls), DayZ/WarZ, SMITE/LoL/DOTA, EVE Online, APB
    "I’m ready for
    All the comparisons
    I think it’s dumb and it’s embarrassing
    I’m switching off
    No longer listening
    I’ve had enough of persecution and conditioning
    Maybe it’s instinct- We’re only animal"
    - Lily Allen, Sheezus

• DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802
    Originally posted by Solar_Prophet

The PvP crowd is niche. Always has been, always will be. 

That's probably true but it's still no excuse for the horrible mechanics of their pvp. 

All factions start at the same spot with a 10 sec invulnerability buff. Then they all run towards the zone where the relic is being defended. By the time you arrive the buff is off and you have 2 options:

-Run into the large aoe of the defenders

or

-Wait and get slaughtered from behind by the other respawners

Oh and of course the client makes this a messy and laggy experience.

To spice the mix up a bit more there are still bugs which have been never fixed. You will still frequently hear things such as:

"Sorry, guys my UI is glitched and I can't plant the relic."

"How much time is left? My UI is broken and it won't show me the timer."

Harbinger of Fools
  • AppokAppok Member Posts: 20

Solution: Make better content and fix the animations

• Geebus80Geebus80 Member Posts: 92

ahh the old corporatist schtick, free market, free market when speaking to the gov about regulation, but as soon as profits are down they blame that same  free market.

In this case it is more about bad content and poor effort on the part of funcom to keep up with their customers needs than saturation though.

• ulrik12345ulrik12345 Member Posts: 4

The F2P market is crowded with BAD and generic F2P titles, which is what TSW suffers from. Generic and uninteresting game-mechanics seen a billion times in the MMORPG genre. The game-mechanics as well as the gameplay in most MMORPGs are stuck in 2004, and those who have advanced beyond target based combat  and repetitive button-mashing always seem lack an other crucial aspect such as interesting quests, decent graphics etc. In an MMORPG you will ALWAYS have to choose between either good and interesting combat, fun and engaging quests or decent graphics.

The secret World: Good graphics and cool quests - Downright shitty target-based combat from 1999. 

Age of Conan: Good graphics and decent storytelling (good from 1-20) - Shitty target-based combat mixed with DanceDance Revolution.

Vindictus: Good graphics and good and well executed combat - Shitty storytelling and boring quests.

The market is too crowded for another game where you have to choose and sacrifice one or another. 

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    This game was a failure before it was even released.
  • RusqueRusque Member RarePosts: 2,785

I've been saying this since the advent of f2p. Eventually you reach such a critical mass of f2p titles that you spread those who are the "payers" too thin and can't support anything anymore.

f2p only works when you have a concentration of people willing to shell out in the cash shop, once you divide those people across too many games, f2p's true colors will show.

• DeaconXDeaconX Member UncommonPosts: 3,062
    This MMO would be hands down the best out there right now, if only the combat weren't so drab.

Why do I write, create, fantasize, dream and daydream about other worlds? Because I hate what humanity does with this one.

BOYCOTTING EA / ORIGIN going forward.

• CazNeergCazNeerg Member Posts: 2,198
    The F2P market isn't anywhere close to crashing.  As more games come out, some of the weaker ones will probably shut down, but the market itself isn't going anywhere.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
    Through passion, I gain strength.
    Through strength, I gain power.
    Through power, I gain victory.
    Through victory, my chains are broken.
    The Force shall free me.

• SentimeSentime Member UncommonPosts: 270

As far as AoC, it's one of the worst F2P models out there.  If it wasn't such a scam I'd still be playing AoC and encouraging others to try the game. 

Funcom can't see the forest through the trees.

• flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454
    Originally posted by DeaconX
    This MMO would be hands down the best out there right now, if only the combat weren't so drab.

I have to agree.  The story and questing in this game is amazing.  If it wasn't for the lackluster combat I would still be playing. 

If an MMO only could give us the total package instead of doing one or two things right. 

• TsumoroTsumoro Member UncommonPosts: 435
    Originally posted by DeaconX

I would concur, TSW has awesome PVE with its story and how you approach quests. Plus the characters are fantastic. But the combat, doesn't seem to match up with the quality behind the game. Which is odd, considering AOC was always praised for its combat system, no idea why they couldn't just merge the two!

• CetraCetra Member UncommonPosts: 359

stop making bad games.

Age of Conan is a launch flop at least with fun combat.

You made secret world with shit combat.

Most impt element in a mmo is COMBAT. Every mmo developer should get this basic  into their head.

• syltmackasyltmacka Member UncommonPosts: 404
    i think the combat is fine. but its hard. oh so friking difficult.
  • orbitxoorbitxo Member RarePosts: 1,956

you guys are so funny only focusing on TSW n AOC...when clearly they have other games. in mobile etc...

lets not forget TSW brought them most of last years revenue.

cleary one- if not the best mmo out there!- they should of stayed with sub base imo. i would of supported it 100%!!!!

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    Originally posted by justmemyselfandi

That's how competition works.

You want to compete, you deliver AAA goods with AAA effort and you do. not. stop.

If you can't compete, you get shoved out of the way.

A lesson Funcom has yet to learn.