Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

After Only two Stress-Tests, my friend is complaining non-stop about ESO

sludgebeardsludgebeard Member RarePosts: 788

Ranging anywhere from core design flaws to instancing to reptitviness of combat, my friend complained non-stop on skype for over an hour and half, eventually forcing me to just straight up stop playing so I could wait an hour for him to get off the game.

Why am I posting about this? Because during the first stress test He LOVED - and I mean LOVED the game! He clamoured about how it was a great representation of an Elder Scrolls game. He even went as far to make a facebook group for all of us so we could form a guild post-launch. We played for roughly 12 hours straight the first beta weekend and then a few more 3 hour sessions thrown in when we had time. 

Now flash forward a couple weeks and his opinion had done a complete 180, why is this?

[mod edit]

- He refused to roll a Character on Aldmeri Dominion or Daggerfall Covenant.

When he started saying how repetitive the game had become I asked him "Dude why dont you just roll an alt on a different faction". To which he then claimed their wasnt a point because he wouldnt be playing either faction at launch and that their shouldnt be factions anyways. What?? How does this even remotely add up, but I just tried to ignore it.

- He began spouting forum posts like gospel. 

So we both frequent alot of the same forums and as crazy as it might sound to you guys, he began saying quotes that sounded very familiar to me, like things that didnt sound like his opinion but rather something he gathered from an outside source and was reciting rather than stating. I quickly found the post he was directly quoting but didnt confront him, it was pointless because you know what post it was? One of the biggest troll posts on the forum. Hundreds of comments with heated opinions on both sides. This was it for me, I wasnt going to be a dick and call him out but I had enough. 

- He still wants it to be 1999

At the end of the conversation when I had just lost all effort he said one thing I still remember clear as day, 

"Why cant they just make a "GOOD REAL MMO" like EQ again?"

Ill let you form your own opinions from there but to me this just speaks to the overall MMO community.

People are so ready to throw their lives away on a single game, one MMO to rule them all, that they lose out on playing a fun game and just enjoying it with their friends.

They micro analyze everything to the smallest detail to figure out what is wrong with the game rather then themsleves.

They dont want to change their ways or try something else in the game to make it better.

They quickly go to forums and to other opinions that are the same as theirs to validate why their opinion is right.

Does this sound like anyone you know or in your community? 

Comments

• fs23otmfs23otm Member RarePosts: 506

Gets the popcorn...

Most of the people on this forum agree with your friend... so be prepared.

• SawlstoneSawlstone Member Posts: 301
    Originally posted by sludgebeard

Nope, sounds like an ass though. I stopped playing with my RL friend in WOW because he had an attitude that was conflicting with my gameplay. We are good friends in RL....I hate his fucking guts in game. :)

• NomadMorlockNomadMorlock Member UncommonPosts: 815

Ranging anywhere from core design flaws to instancing to reptitviness of combat, my friend complained non-stop on skype for over an hour and half, eventually forcing me to just straight up stop playing so I could wait an hour for him to get off the game.

Why am I posting about this? Because during the first stress test He LOVED - and I mean LOVED the game! He clamoured about how it was a great representation of an Elder Scrolls game. He even went as far to make a facebook group for all of us so we could form a guild post-launch. We played for roughly 12 hours straight the first beta weekend and then a few more 3 hour sessions thrown in when we had time. 

Now flash forward a couple weeks and his opinion had done a complete 360, why is this?

[mod edit]

- He refused to roll a Character on Aldmeri Dominion or Daggerfall Covenant.

When he started saying how repetitive the game had become I asked him "Dude why dont you just roll an alt on a different faction". To which he then claimed their wasnt a point because he wouldnt be playing either faction at launch and that their shouldnt be factions anyways. What?? How does this even remotely add up, but I just tried to ignore it.

- He began spouting forum posts like gospel. 

So we both frequent alot of the same forums and as crazy as it might sound to you guys, he began saying quotes that sounded very familiar to me, like things that didnt sound like his opinion but rather something he gathered from an outside source and was reciting rather than stating. I quickly found the post he was directly quoting but didnt confront him, it was pointless because you know what post it was? One of the biggest troll posts on the forum. Hundreds of comments with heated opinions on both sides. This was it for me, I wasnt going to be a dick and call him out but I had enough. 

- He still wants it to be 1999

At the end of the conversation when I had just lost all effort he said one thing I still remember clear as day, 

"Why cant they just make a "GOOD REAL MMO" like EQ again?"

Ill let you form your own opinions from there but to me this just speaks to the overall MMO community.

People are so ready to throw their lives away on a single game, one MMO to rule them all, that they lose out on playing a fun game and just enjoying it with their friends.

They micro analyze everything to the smallest detail to figure out what is wrong with the game rather then themsleves.

They dont want to change their ways or try something else in the game to make it better.

They quickly go to forums and to other opinions that are the same as theirs to validate why their opinion is right.

I will never get that 1 minute of my life back. 

If you want to play this game play it.  If you want to play it with others, find others who like the game.  Join a new gaming community or guild.  Don't let other people ruin your game time.

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Suggest to your friend he see a doctor. Lithium is usually the first med prescribed for bipolar disorder.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• BraindomeBraindome Member UncommonPosts: 959
    Originally posted by Iselin
    Suggest to your friend he see a doctor. Lithium is usually the first med prescribed for bipolar disorder.

Consider the state of the industry I would say all MMORPG players are in need of some Lithium at this point.

• DaxamarDaxamar Member UncommonPosts: 593

Not one of my friends sound like that. I know a few who wont play they game, they are waiting for Wildstar.

Still, they do not sound off to me like that at all..

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

I'd blame your friend's radical attitude change in illegal drug use, frequently is the cause for such personality shifts.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• AzzrasAzzras Member UncommonPosts: 407

Sounds like quite a few people.

Games are for having fun.  To many people act like it's their profession.

Anyway, see you in game.

• AzzrasAzzras Member UncommonPosts: 407
    Originally posted by fs23otm

Gets the popcorn...

Most of the people on this forum agree with your friend... so be prepared.

Every poll, and I mean EVERY SINGLE POLL THAT HAS BEEN MADE about people going to play ESO has been the vast majority of people on this forum.

There are plenty that hate the game, plenty that troll the game, and plenty that genuinely have concerns about ESO or found it wasn't for them. 

Which category do you fall under?

• timidobservertimidobserver Member UncommonPosts: 246
    Your friend sounds like one of those people that will turn against something if you like it just so that they can bash what you like. I bet he would stop bashing it so much if you started to act like you didn't like it so much. 
  • VoiidiinVoiidiin Member Posts: 817

Why do i get the strong feeling that this "friend" does not even exist and that all the conversation they "had" was just hyperbole by the OP to mask his true intention of wanting a throw back game similar to [mod edit]/Pantheon ?

Well whatever the case maybe why do we as a gaming populace need to be swayed to one game type over another ? Seems to me there is quite enough players for any game that is well made and attracts the attention of players. It falls on the developers to create a gaming experience that holds the attention of its player base and moves forward with that goal in mind.

Clearly some companies do not see this, we see Funcom and Turbine suffering from this lack of progress, and we will continue to have games get cancelled or dev teams get cut in order to combat the lack of funds generated by their games.

I think in the long run SoE might have the right of things here, and realizing that sandbox games are the only way that content can be constant is by allowing it to be emergent and player created/focused. The never ending treadmill of creating more content to fill the needs of the content hungry players is not a very viable business model for an under funded game developer. Blizzard gets away with this because of the sheer enormity of its player base resulting in sustainable revenue.

Ramble ramble ramble...

Lolipops !

• GrunchGrunch Member Posts: 493

. I quickly found the post he was directly quoting but didnt confront him, it was pointless because you know what post it was? One of the biggest troll posts on the forum.

This is deeper then you realize. Your friend might actually be that forum troll...

I was talking with someone I work with about ESO and since he is a WoW fanboy he told me they messed up because the only way to play any other race aside from Imperial was to pre-order the game. I have no idea how someone can just think that up and how crazy and stupid it sounded irl. Here is what he should have said:

"ESO is going to suck because its going to be better then my current mmo that I have devoted soooo much time and real life cash into (buying gold/items/PL from Korean farmers).

"I'm sorry but your mmo has been diagnosed with EA and only has X number of days to live."

• RebelScum99RebelScum99 Member Posts: 1,090

Now flash forward a couple weeks and his opinion had done a complete 360, why is this?

I think you meant 180.  Otherwise, he'd still love the game.  

• Originally posted by RebelScum99

I was just about to make a post about this aswell. -hehe-

It's hard to believe that a whole page went without anyone mentioning this.

• whisperwyndwhisperwynd Member UncommonPosts: 1,668

Every new Mmo goes through this. Those that hate always seem to have more acid in their rants than those that simple find it meh or not for them. Whether fan or hater, anyone that take games so seriously really need to get a step back and see why they are so.... emotional?

• sludgebeardsludgebeard Member RarePosts: 788
    Originally posted by RebelScum99

DO YOU REALIZE WHAT YOUVE DONE!>!

My credibility was already hanging on a thread after the conspiracy theory about my friend actually being me, because of course I love arguing with myself about games ive aready pre-ordered for me and my girlfriend.

Plot twist: My Girlfriend is also me.

• KnotwoodKnotwood Member CommonPosts: 1,103

And you wonder why we all love to play solo.  OP is proof!

I think shoddycast goes through this every day also.   Did you remember when he screamed holy hell when imperial race was in the CE..  My lord, I thought the guy was going to have a heart attack at age 26.

• drakolasdrakolas Member UncommonPosts: 45

Why do they call it the xbox 360?

Because when you see it you turn 360 degrees and walk away.

• seacow1gseacow1g Member UncommonPosts: 266

My credibility was already hanging on a thread after the conspiracy theory about my friend actually being me, because of course I love arguing with myself about games ive aready pre-ordered for me and my girlfriend.

You're hilarious lmao.

More on topic though I honestly think all this division is actually good for us as a community. It takes all types of gamers for great games to be made. But if one particular group sounds madder/louder than the rest maybe it's because they feel no one has listened to them in awhile? Now maybe some of that is their own fault but if you find that you are feeling happy with the games you're playing then go ahead and just enjoy it. Try to have some sympathy for the mad guys who just want to be heard. You never know, someday you might be one of them.

• BeelzebobbieBeelzebobbie Member UncommonPosts: 430
    I think it's the other way around, before the beta everybody was saying that this game is gonna fail bigger then swtor but now I feel like most people on this forum loves ESO and thats rare :)
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002

I think that the idea of your friend complaining non-stop for such a long time speaks VOLUMES about what the real issue is.

Who does that?

if he's changed his mind he's changed his mind. That's great. But for so long and wouldn't stop? If I was married to a woman who did that I'd divorce her. Though I probably wouldn't have married her in the first place.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • KnotwoodKnotwood Member CommonPosts: 1,103
    Originally posted by drakolas

you can go 360 degrees and end up going the opposite way.  It takes calculus to do it, but if you orbit the sun in a 24 hour cycle  and turn at a rate of 7.5 degrees per an hour, you can be facing the opposite direction. and then all that is needed is a short burst to go the other way, provided the momentum of your orbit has not sped you up too fast, then it might take more thrust for Escape Velocity to get you to flow the opposite direction. 

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719

But do you keep your clothes in two separate closets? image

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646

Your friend might be on to something.   However all the [mod edits] make this thread useless, without knowing what your friend actually said.  Did you intentionally add them?

I mean really, your friend used to love this game, but now he says [mod edit].

Really?

BTW impersonating a moderator is against this sites EULA.  By typing [mod edit] (in red before) you are impersonating an MMORPG.com representative.

Maybe other people's opinions matter?  Many expected the new age of MMORPG'ing, especially from a Bethesda derivative.  Instead of cutting others down, just accept that some don't like what you like.

Some like, some don't.  Stop making people who don't like what you like out to be crazy folks.  ESO is good for what it's worth.  It's no Skyrim, it's no WoW.  It's a decent mediocre MMORPG, this time set in the ES world, which will sell regardless.

Settle down, geez.

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

• CazNeergCazNeerg Member Posts: 2,198
    Originally posted by Knotwood
    Originally posted by drakolas

you can go 360 degrees and end up going the opposite way.  It takes calculus to do it, but if you orbit the sun in a 24 hour cycle  and turn at a rate of 7.5 degrees per an hour, you can be facing the opposite direction. and then all that is needed is a short burst to go the other way, provided the momentum of your orbit has not sped you up too fast, then it might take more thrust for Escape Velocity to get you to flow the opposite direction. 

*stops drinking out of trophy* "Nerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrd!!!!!!"

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
    Through passion, I gain strength.
    Through strength, I gain power.
    Through power, I gain victory.
    Through victory, my chains are broken.
    The Force shall free me.