Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Editorial] Diablo 3: Patch 2.0.1 - A Whole New Way to Play

BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565

Last week, Blizzard released the 2.0.1 patch for Diablo III. While it has been in development for a long while, the team behind the update has been relatively quiet leading up to its release. It might be a good guess that the developers of this patch wanted to virtually 'see' players' faces on seeing all that had changed.

Read more of Suzie Ford's Diablo III: Patch 2.0.1 - A Whole New Way to Play.

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

Comments

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

Where is the PS4 release date?

Where is the XB1 announcement?

Is RoS going to release for Xbox 360 and PS3?

17 days to PC release.

• Righteous_RockRighteous_Rock Member RarePosts: 1,234
    Right now my Barbarian whirlwind is just sickening op. I can just melt faces with it, before the patch I felt gimped compared to my ranged counterparts, but now I can kill a mob before they even get a shot off, it's wonderful. They are all like what the heck man save some for us.
  • SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    Originally posted by Righteous_Rock
    Right now my Barbarian whirlwind is just sickening op. I can just melt faces with it, before the patch I felt gimped compared to my ranged counterparts, but now I can kill a mob before they even get a shot off, it's wonderful. They are all like what the heck man save some for us.

Wait 'til you play with a Demon Hunter using both the forward shooting fan shot that levels about 3 screens followed by the multishot into the air that takes out any stragglers. :D I just ran around collecting Nephalem Glory orbs and items. :D

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

A friend plays D3 and says it's now fun to play again.

I would like to know what other company could release a game where the game play is dominated by an experimental feature, and then after a year come up with the actual game play, never implement some features that should have been in at release and still make money.  It is nothing short of amazing.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• orbitxoorbitxo Member RarePosts: 1,956
    yah loot  .2.0 is pretty dam good, this will be my casual game!!!-  they really did a good job breaking the cookie cutter molds by revamping the unused abilities!

iam using new abilites on my DH that i never thought of using!!!-devs encopuraged to experiment!! iam so happy now!

I never really played Diablo 2, but lots of others have said that the game wasn't really "great" until the expac.

Blizzard is very good and reinventing itself.

Sure, they lose some people along the way, look at WoW and all the changes there!

But they seem to always attract people back and attract new players.

It is truly amazing.

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048
    Originally posted by BadSpock

I never really played Diablo 2, but lots of others have said that the game wasn't really "great" until the expac.

Sure, they lose some people along the way, look at WoW and all the changes there!

It is truly amazing.

I'd disagree. D2 was great before the Xpac, though the Xpac added a lot to the game that really made it amazing. 

Though thats old blizzard. If Wows continued decline into bad decision after bad decision shows, they aren't exactly doing well as far as 'rehatching' things, D3 in particular was over-all considered the worst of the Action RPGs released with only "Polish" being its only advantage (which considering its also had the most money put into it, it better be). 

Diablo 3 to me even with the changes isn't worth the price. It still comes off as a weaker game then PoE and Torchlight in its design elements, at least for a die hard ARPG fan like myself. If it was $20, I'd think of it, but currently I have no desire to play the expansion, particularly for someone like me where 'loot grind' always took a back seat to the leveling experience and creating various character builds seeing how far I could get them or ditching them to make an all new character. 

• elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335
    Game is fantastic now.  My Wizard can use all his skills! Yay! and be viable and fun and I don't die quite as fast now unless I stand in those Auras and fire/poison abilities, ;D
  • laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591

I wonder what Jay Wilson thinks about the changes? "fuck that loser" LMAO

Sorry but the RMAH was and always will be very sleezy to me. RIP

I'm glad to hear people are enjoying the new game.

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713
    Originally posted by Purutzil

It is truly amazing.

I'd disagree. D2 was great before the Xpac, though the Xpac added a lot to the game that really made it amazing. 

Though thats old blizzard. If Wows continued decline into bad decision after bad decision shows, they aren't exactly doing well as far as 'rehatching' things, D3 in particular was over-all considered the worst of the Action RPGs released with only "Polish" being its only advantage (which considering its also had the most money put into it, it better be). 

Diablo 3 to me even with the changes isn't worth the price. It still comes off as a weaker game then PoE and Torchlight in its design elements, at least for a die hard ARPG fan like myself. If it was $20, I'd think of it, but currently I have no desire to play the expansion, particularly for someone like me where 'loot grind' always took a back seat to the leveling experience and creating various character builds seeing how far I could get them or ditching them to make an all new character. 

Always love it when people throw out their opinions as fact. Pretty sure Diablo 3 was critically praised. You give the impression that the consensus was "It's really polished, but sucks". There was quite a vocal minority of hatred for the game though. Like most games honestly, and I imagine most of the people hating on it never even played it.

• Mors.MagneMors.Magne Member UncommonPosts: 1,549

I'm not buying Diablo 3 because 3rd person perspective was OK 10 years ago, but 1st person is more immersive and what we should expect using today's technology. 

In fact, given that this game was made by a wealthy publisher, we should expect total compatibility with Oculus Rift.

The inferior 3rd person viewpoint explains why the trailers for Diablo 3 do not involve in-game graphics. 

The reason why we have a 10-year-old re-hashed game is because the big publishers don't want to produce anything original or different that might be a financial risk - in the minds of their directors and accountants.

As I keep writing, the way ahead is Kickstarter.

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916

It really really really pisses me off to no end when people make generalisations like "PvP was never a major component of Diablo 2". Says who? 80% of my Diablo 2 time was spent PvP-ing. Diablo 2 has one of the most fun pvp systems not like the stupid joke we have in MMOs. Dark Age of Camelot, GW2, WOW, baaaah. Diablo 2 did it way better.

What is even MORE amusing is that it is usually the people who played Diablo 2 for like 200-300 hours that say that PvP was not a major component. That explains why you spent so little on the game. Back in the day I spent thousands of hours playing Diablo 2 because of the PvP. But what can some people who played single-player or openbattlenet understand. 

So no, PVP IS a major component of the Diablo series. How many hours did you play Diablo 2? 10, 50, 100?

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• Solar_ProphetSolar_Prophet Member EpicPosts: 1,960

Originally posted by Mors.Magne

I'm not buying Diablo 3 because 3rd person perspective was OK 10 years ago, but 1st person is more immersive and what we should expect using today's technology. 

In fact, given that this game was made by a wealthy publisher, we should expect total compatibility with Oculus Rift.

The inferior 3rd person viewpoint explains why the trailers for Diablo 3 do not involve in-game graphics. 

The reason why we have a 10-year-old re-hashed game is because the big publishers don't want to produce anything original or different that might be a financial risk - in the minds of their directors and accountants.

Oh God, the irony.

This is exactly what people would've said had Blizzard basically made D3 into D2 with updated graphics, like the haters 'claim' they wanted. It doesn't matter what Blizzard had done with the game, the same vocal minority would still have found a reason to bash it.

As for the rest of the post... obviously a troll attempt. But hey, I'll bite.

Isometric perspective is standard with most of these games. Many of the best games ever made, from RPGs to action, have made use of perspectives other than first person. In fact, I'd even say that first person games are in the minority even today.

But I guess to you games like Divinity: Original Sin, Tomb Raider, XCOM, Warframe, Total War games, Planetary Annihilation,  Castlevania, etc. are all '10 year old rehashed games' because they're not in first person, right?

Grow up, kid.

Originally posted by Fendel84M

It is truly amazing.

Always love it when people throw out their opinions as fact. Pretty sure Diablo 3 was critically praised. You give the impression that the consensus was "It's really polished, but sucks". There was quite a vocal minority of hatred for the game though. Like most games honestly, and I imagine most of the people hating on it never even played it.

The blinkers are strong with this one.

Right back at you kiddo. The fact of the matter is, Diablo 3 is / was hated by a vocal minority of players. Furthermore, the lengths some people went to in order to bash the game were truly incredible, including (but not limited to) reviews from people who hadn't even played the game, people claiming to get hacked even though they had authenticators (add AFTER they got hacked), and even several people & bloggers claiming to have had their accounts hacked despite not even having battle.net accounts!

The only reason the game gets so much hate is because it's trendy these days to hate on corporations, and Blizzard in particular (lots of Totalbiscuit & Kripparian sheeple... err, fans). It's always been a solid game, and the recent changes only serve to cement its place as the best ARPG out there, period. The only game in its league right now is Marvel Heroes, IMO.

AN' DERE AIN'T NO SUCH FING AS ENUFF DAKKA, YA GROT! Enuff'z more than ya got an' less than too much an' there ain't no such fing as too much dakka. Say dere is, and me Squiggoff'z eatin' tonight!

We are born of the blood. Made men by the blood. Undone by the blood. Our eyes are yet to open. FEAR THE OLD BLOOD. 

#IStandWithVic

Originally posted by Solar_Prophet

*snip

Whoa whoa, don't you know that on MMORPG.com everything Blizzard does or has ever done is garbage?

Except the stuff that isn't.

And whatever else they (but not you!) say.... unless "they" is you, then they are a bunch of noobs and suck ups...

Anyway, 2.0 is amazing.

Still waiting for XB1 announcement and PS4 release date.

I just hope Crusader is fun to play.

• SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    Originally posted by fivoroth

It really really really pisses me off to no end when people make generalisations like "PvP was never a major component of Diablo 2". Says who? 80% of my Diablo 2 time was spent PvP-ing. Diablo 2 has one of the most fun pvp systems not like the stupid joke we have in MMOs. Dark Age of Camelot, GW2, WOW, baaaah. Diablo 2 did it way better.

What is even MORE amusing is that it is usually the people who played Diablo 2 for like 200-300 hours that say that PvP was not a major component. That explains why you spent so little on the game. Back in the day I spent thousands of hours playing Diablo 2 because of the PvP. But what can some people who played single-player or openbattlenet understand. 

So no, PVP IS a major component of the Diablo series. How many hours did you play Diablo 2? 10, 50, 100?

PvP wasn't a feature of Diablo 2. It was a button you toggle on or off that allowed you to kill other players. There were no leaderboards, there was no ranked play, guild battles, etc. other than those planned by and executed by private individuals. 

As for how long I played Diablo 2? I quit playing daily about 2 years ago and still play occasionally.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• BariliosBarilios Member Posts: 6
    The game is still complete garbage
  • laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    Originally posted by Solar_Prophet

Originally posted by Mors.Magne

Oh God, the irony.

This is exactly what people would've said had Blizzard basically made D3 into D2 with updated graphics, like the haters 'claim' they wanted. It doesn't matter what Blizzard had done with the game, the same vocal minority would still have found a reason to bash it.

As for the rest of the post... obviously a troll attempt. But hey, I'll bite.

Isometric perspective is standard with most of these games. Many of the best games ever made, from RPGs to action, have made use of perspectives other than first person. In fact, I'd even say that first person games are in the minority even today.

But I guess to you games like Divinity: Original Sin, Tomb Raider, XCOM, Warframe, Total War games, Planetary Annihilation,  Castlevania, etc. are all '10 year old rehashed games' because they're not in first person, right?

Grow up, kid.

It is truly amazing.

The blinkers are strong with this one.

Right back at you kiddo. The fact of the matter is, Diablo 3 is / was hated by a vocal minority of players. Furthermore, the lengths some people went to in order to bash the game were truly incredible, including (but not limited to) reviews from people who hadn't even played the game, people claiming to get hacked even though they had authenticators (add AFTER they got hacked), and even several people & bloggers claiming to have had their accounts hacked despite not even having battle.net accounts!

The only reason the game gets so much hate is because it's trendy these days to hate on corporations, and Blizzard in particular (lots of Totalbiscuit & Kripparian sheeple... err, fans). It's always been a solid game, and the recent changes only serve to cement its place as the best ARPG out there, period. The only game in its league right now is Marvel Heroes, IMO.

Hate to break it to ya:

But D3 was fundamentally broken. It sucked for the majority. Even Blizzard agreed, the new patch speaks for itself.

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• blubstererblubsterer Member Posts: 88

[...]There was quite a vocal minority of hatred for the game though. Like most games honestly, and I imagine most of the people hating on it never even played it.

You are right to call out people for stating opinions as a fact. But guess what? I think you did the same. Where is your source that the people who hated on the game were the minority? Or never played it? I agree that the "haters" were very vocal, but vocal people aren't necessarily a minority with no clue what they are hating on.

I played Diablo III at launch for a while together with a view friends. And we all detested this game. And left silently. I really have no proof that this is what happened majoritarian. But it is at least just as likely as your statement. Maybe I'm wrong and you have strong evidence for your claim. If not it's opinion stated as fact ...

• cesmode8cesmode8 Member UncommonPosts: 431

I love the changes.  Pure awsomeness.  Sadly many are so turned off by the fact that the game should have been like this, or similar to this, at launch or soon after... but Im willing to overlook it and pay box price for RoS(I think).

As long as the game doesnt allow us to fall into cookie cutter builds, glitching for XP gains, and if a nub lvl 60 can catch up to the 250billion gold gearsets people have when RoS drops and we all have fresh lvl 70s..

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    The game is finally in a really good place and it's about to get even better in a few weeks. I'm glad they've turned it around. Now I just need to get my sleep pattern back on track cos this game is ruining my life.
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • biogermbiogerm Member UncommonPosts: 168

so let me get this, 

more then a year later, they come up with things that should have been in the game from the first place, and they want me to spend 40$ on it?

ok, il help you blizz, here is how you buy back people to come back to you.

1st. dont call it "reaper of souls", just call it d3 "rebirth", that way people can understand you have built it from the ground up again.

2. explain to the world the the game was shit, and you are sorry for that and understand it was shit. and in order to fix it, every one will get something around 40$ refund to use on blizz games/shop. (better yet give them a copy of wow and a few month subs=wow numbers goes up=win)

3.profit.

simple right? 

I 3930k -- Rampage IV Extreme -- G.skill RipjawsZ 32 GB -- Corsair Force Series 3 120gb -- G.skill Phoenix Pro 60gb -- WD 1 TB Black -- Corsair H 100 -- Thermaltake Level 10 Gt Snow Edition -- Corsair AX1200 -- Asus 560 Ti Sli -- Microsoft Sidewinder X4 -- Logitech G5 -- DELL UltraSharp 2007FP -- Samsung Syncmaster Sa700 -- Logitech Z2300 -- Logitech G35 -- Logitech G600 White -- coming soon : Dell U2711.

• Darknessguy64Darknessguy64 Member Posts: 233
    Originally posted by biogerm

so let me get this, 

more then a year later, they come up with things that should have been in the game from the first place, and they want me to spend 40$ on it?

ok, il help you blizz, here is how you buy back people to come back to you.

1st. dont call it "reaper of souls", just call it d3 "rebirth", that way people can understand you have built it from the ground up again.

2. explain to the world the the game was shit, and you are sorry for that and understand it was shit. and in order to fix it, every one will get something around 40$ refund to use on blizz games/shop. (better yet give them a copy of wow and a few month subs=wow numbers goes up=win)

3.profit.

simple right? 

That has to be the most idiotic post I have seen in my 49 years of reading / hearing idiotic things people say/post. Good job.

• RadooRadoo Member UncommonPosts: 298

Rofl i just cant stop from laughing at how easily this company keeps fooling its game users.

This is just like the vanilla WoW to The Burning Crusade transition.

They ruined all the good challenging part of the game, silencing everyone with faster and more frequent drops. No more difficult tasks to perform at the end of which you'd feel a real sense of achievement, but senseless drops of this and that, soon to lose any value (everybody wearing the same things).

This D3 patch is the same sauce used with a different pasta! Another game, where they pull the same stunt and people are already foolishly praising Blizzard, because now they can easily defeat enemies and even get frequent rare loot.

Did you even notice how much they increased the dmg of the skills for all the existent classes?

Please read them patch notes!

Should you really be contempt with a game that just got at this ridiculous level of easy?

It's clear that the Blizzard of the Diablo 2 era is long dead, things have changed, internally, too much for this company to offer anything decent anymore.

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    Originally posted by Radoo

Rofl i just cant stop from laughing at how easily this company keeps fooling its game users.

They ruined all the good challenging part of the game, silencing everyone with faster and more frequent drops. No more difficult tasks to perform at the end of which you'd feel a real sense of achievement, but senseless drops of this and that, soon to lose any value (everybody wearing the same things).

This D3 patch is the same sauce used with a different pasta! Another game, where they pull the same stunt and people are already foolishly praising Blizzard, because now they can easily defeat enemies and even get frequent rare loot.

Did you even notice how much they increased the dmg of the skills for all the existent classes?

Should you really be contempt with a game that just got at this ridiculous level of easy?

It's clear that the Blizzard of the Diablo 2 era is long dead, things have changed, internally, too much for this company to offer anything decent anymore.

Please post me your torment level 6 video of you strolling around having an easy time and I'll join you in this cause. If not, shhh please... you have no idea what you're talking about.

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • FlawSGIFlawSGI Member UncommonPosts: 1,379
    Originally posted by Radoo

Have to agree. We decided to come back and check out the changes since we have heard how great the game is now. Starting fresh to experience everything all over again, we decided to try hard and it was to easy so we bumped it up to expert to give it a whirl. Well after a few hours and one play session we are halfway to level cap with nothing putting us in any danger. The legendaries are raining on us but they matter little since we level every few minutes and are able to craft gear now that is always the stat needed (as monk I always get dex/vit gear). We were going to save torment for when we cap out but it's looking like that level will be needed sooner than later otherwise I will find myself bored. If this is what's in store, I don't see any reason to declare the expansion with its one new class and adventure mode, a new way to play anything. 

RIP Jimmy "The Rev" Sullivan and Paul Gray.