Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ignorant Reviews

filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906

Why do people feel the need to speak their mind about a game calling it complete crap.  These people have issues either a game is completely good or completely bad and there is no middle ground.  I have kicked quite a few people out my guilds for puking nonsense about another mmo in the guild chat.  If they are gonna speak about a game they should at least be honest about it.  I have been playing games for longer then I would like to admit and although I am not a fan of some games I do see the good they have.  Every game has good sides and every game has bad sides.  There will never be a perfect game.  The trick is can you live with the imperfections or not.

So after a process of asking questions and seeing if they are reasonable people i'll make an educated decision and it has happened that people have been removed from the guild because I felt they would do nothing but harm the other players.  When a player is that close minded it creates a huge disturbance.  As I said before and a lot of readers are not seeing NO GAME IS COMPLETE CRAP AND NO GAME IS PERFECT.

[mod edit]

Are you onto something or just on something?

Comments

• ozmonoozmono Member UncommonPosts: 1,211

Whilst I agree there is no way I'd ever kick someone out of a guild for it. A better response would be to just ask them to explain in greater detail and not be so one sided as you sort of, have done here.

People give their opinions to convince and unfortunately some people don't feel the need to try and be objective when they do so. That said there is a collective wisdom. The overly enthusiastic fans counter the disgruntled ones and vice versa. Look at metacritic for example. Most people vote either ten or one but collectively the scores are pretty solid. You get some people exaggerating the good and some people exaggerating the bad. Even with people so bias, there is truth to be found. That's the look on the bright side version ;) I suppose the other alternative is to just not engage with people who are completely bias but as I said I think your example is a bit of an overreaction.

• whisperwyndwhisperwynd Member UncommonPosts: 1,668
    Originally posted by RaSungod
    Originally posted by filmoret
    Why do people feel the need to speak their mind about a game calling it complete crap.  These people have issues either a game is completely good or completely bad and there is no middle ground.  I have kicked quite a few people out my guilds for puking nonsense about another mmo in the guild chat.  If they are gonna speak about a game they should at least be honest about it.  I have been playing games for longer then I would like to admit and although I am not a fan of some games I do see the good they have.  Every game has good sides and every game has bad sides.  There will never be a perfect game.  The trick is can you live with the imperfections or not.

[mod edit]

Not necessarily, it could be that  the OP dislikes negative extremists. The rant of a negative opinion without rhyme nor reason to it.

I don't know him/her so I can't make that assertion. Just a different point of view.

• ozmonoozmono Member UncommonPosts: 1,211
    Originally posted by whisperwynd

[mod edit]

Not necessarily, it could be that  the OP dislikes negative extremists. The rant of a negative opinion without rhyme nor reason to it.

I don't know him/her so I can't make that assertion. Just a different point of view.

If you just take him by the OP than I think that is the logical conclusion to be made. The person you responded to is much harder to decipher by his post in here alone. Did he not read the original post? Did he misunderstand? Or was he just being unnecessarily antagonizing?

Originally posted by ozmono

[mod edit]

If you just take him by the OP than I think that is the logical conclusion to be made. The person you responded to is much harder to decipher by his post in here alone. Did he not read the original post? Did he misunderstand? Or was he just being unnecessarily antagonizing?

As it was for me. this is why I offering a possible alternative in case it was a misunderstanding. If it was to antagonize, there's very little I could do but resort to the same. Like to be sure beforehand..  j/k  image

• Kevyne-ShandrisKevyne-Shandris Member UncommonPosts: 2,077

But if they can't live with those imperfections...the game WILL be crap to them.

There's little balance in user preferences. Either they like a game for what value they see in it or they don't. RARE is a player who can tolerate what they don't like and fairly evaluate a game (there's no incentive to promote a game that fails to meet a player's needs).

• RiannesRiannes Member UncommonPosts: 98

I dont know about others but for me if my kids do smthing wrong i would point this out to them and may be they can do better nx times. i dont want to spoil my kids. it can be a hard process but in the long term it would do them good. but if some other kids not my child do smthing wrong i couldnt care less.

kids example may be extreme but yea its kind of work in a similar way. while there may be some people who bash the game for the sake of bashing, there are also some people who do it because they care.

• RiannesRiannes Member UncommonPosts: 98
    Originally posted by Riannes

I dont know about others but for me if my kids do smthing wrong i would point this out to them and may be they can do better nx times. i dont want to spoil my kids. it can be a hard process but in the long term it would do them good. but if some other kids not my child do smthing wrong i couldnt care less.

kids example may be extreme but yea its kind of work in a similar way. while there may be some people who bash the game for the sake of bashing, there are also some people who do it because they care.

and there are others who think in another way.

they pay for the game and they expect the product/service worth their money.

id say they are customers and have the power to criticize the game.

its like when you go to a restaurant and its terrible food, terrible service and afterward you tell friends its shi t. nothing odd about this imo. it just smthing that happen.

• HrimnirHrimnir Member RarePosts: 2,415

[mod edit]

One man's "negative extremist" is another man's rational objective reviewer.

I'm sorry but him getting on a power trip and kicking people out for saying bad things about other mmo's indicates to me he is likely the one with the distorted view of reality.  Granted, he really did those people a favor by kicking them out.

"The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently."

- Friedrich Nietzsche

Originally posted by Hrimnir

One man's "negative extremist" is another man's rational objective reviewer.

I'm sorry but him getting on a power trip and kicking people out for saying bad things about other mmo's indicates to me he is likely the one with the distorted view of reality.  Granted, he really did those people a favor by kicking them out.

I was only offering an alternate view. He may be a douche, I have no clue. 

Whilst I concede the extremists will have supporters of his views, if the rant is just 'This sux because your mother' type stuff without any explanation, I fail to see the objectivity. It's contextual. Though I agree actions taken summarily against opposite viewpoints is pretty weak for a leader to take.

• filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
    Hahaha this took quite a funny twist.  My Rift guild had over 1k members and my SWTOR guild has around 500.  I don't think someone on a powertrip can get guilds to be this big.  Yes I was doing my guild a favor they don't need garbage being thrown down their throats about solid fun games like GW2, WOW, Aion, ect ect.. Yes all of these games have their issues and I'm glad to discuss them.  But they also have very fun and engaging gameplay as well.  When someone is stubborn like that they will not be much good for a solid guild of level headed players.  If they were my children it would be different how I teach them, but we are all free to choose our friends.
    Hahaha this took quite a funny twist.  My Rift guild had over 1k members and my SWTOR guild has around 500.  I don't think someone on a powertrip can get guilds to be this big.  Yes I was doing my guild a favor they don't need garbage being thrown down their throats about solid fun games like GW2, WOW, Aion, ect ect.. Yes all of these games have their issues and I'm glad to discuss them.  But they also have very fun and engaging gameplay as well.  When someone is stubborn like that they will not be much good for a solid guild of level headed players.  If they were my children it would be different how I teach them, but we are all free to choose our friends.

Large guilds tend to rule themselves as well, becoming democratic in nature (Some at any rate). So, if the majority finds an individual toxic to the group, then the leader should intervene and decide to act. Happens all the time. I certainly don't know the details of the convo but ultimately you as leader get the consequences of those decision, good or bad. They're yours to make.

• hallucigenocidehallucigenocide Member RarePosts: 1,015

some people just are'nt that good at expressing themselves and that can often make them seem hateful

it's also  easier to say something is crap than to offer up a complete analysis of what's good and bad with it.

i'd say kicking someone out for such a reason seems pretty rude. it's not that hard to ask someone to tone it down a little or take it in private chat if they're engaged with someone else. kicking them out just for 1 thing you disagree with kind of makes you the same as what you accuse them ofbeing.

I had fun once, it was terrible.

• Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483

Sounds a bit childish to me, kick someone from your guild because they don't have the same opinion of you. I'ma take my ball and go home, pfft...

Just because you have a difference in opinion from someone else does not mean they are ignorant, and that's a bit childish as well to call someone that for that reason.

So I'm guessing someone said something bad about Elder Scrolls Online and you're having a fit over it? I sometimes wonder how some people get along in real life, do they pitch a fit when someone has a difference of opinion in real life? Or do they just do it online....

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

Maybe you should read post 11 and for your benefit I changed the original post.

That you have warehouse guilds that can't even be run by one player to begin with?

We see them in WoW, too big for their britches and shattering about every 4 months into other guilds...as they don't agree with that guild's leadership. ^-^

• LoverNoFighterLoverNoFighter Member Posts: 294

So after a process of asking questions and seeing if they are reasonable people i'll make an educated decision and it has happened that people have been removed from the guild because I felt they would do nothing but harm the other players.  When a player is that close minded it creates a huge disturbance.  As I said before and a lot of readers are not seeing NO GAME IS COMPLETE CRAP AND NO GAME IS PERFECT.

Maybe this will stop the conservatives from harassing me for kicking idiots out of my guilds.

Judging by your actions, one could argue that you're the close minded one.

• SybnalSybnal Member Posts: 261

Well, in his defense, he's kinda right.  You are saying that no game is perfect and no game is crap.  To quote The Dude, "That's just like..your opinion man."  To some, games ARE crap, even if they do have 1 or 2 little features that arn't.   They might not be total crap to YOU, but to others they are sh!t.

Now, as for people in guild chat annoying you with negativity (or being positive about other games?). A good leader would just make it a rule in a sticky on the forums. Or put it in the MoTD.  At least then, when people go on about stuff like that, you can't say they weren't warned, instead of kicking someone out of the guild for saying a game is crap totally out of the blue.  Kinda makes you look like an intolerant fascist.

Originally posted by Sybnal

Well, in his defense, he's kinda right.  You are saying that no game is perfect and no game is crap.  To quote The Dude, "That's just like..your opinion man."  To some, games ARE crap, even if they do have 1 or 2 little features that arn't.   They might not be total crap to YOU, but to others they are sh!t.

Now, as for people in guild chat annoying you with negativity (or being positive about other games?). A good leader would just make it a rule in a sticky on the forums. Or put it in the MoTD.  At least then, when people go on about stuff like that, you can't say they weren't warned, instead of kicking someone out of the guild for saying a game is crap totally out of the blue.  Kinda makes you look like an intolerant fascist.

Or, like better run guilds they have different chat rooms for different groups (e.g., Family chat; 18+ chat; Multi-gaming chat, etc), so folks won't be offended.

• syriinxsyriinx Member UncommonPosts: 1,383

Kicking people for this sort of thing is perfectly acceptable-if its clearly stated in the rules that this behavior isnt allowed.

And really, it *should* be in the rules of a respectable guild.  Im not talking about people that didnt like a game, but the people that constantly have to talk about how WoW sucks, or another persons old mmo was awful...these people are usually bad for the guild.  Its really a form of trolling, even if its not quite intentional.  

• laokokolaokoko Member UncommonPosts: 2,004

I dont' like reviews which put their personal opinion on the game "like if it is good or bad".  

They should talk more about what is inside and what's not.  

• Jagwar_FangJagwar_Fang Member UncommonPosts: 264

[mod edit]

So, people trashing another game in guild chat will HARM other players?  Exactly how will they HARM other players?  Are they going to cause others to say slit their wrists?   Will it cause others to take an entire bottle of sleeping pills and drink a fifth of Jack to swallow them all?  Or could it cause some of your guildies to load up their guns and end it all?  If anyone would harm themselves because of "Guild Chat" they have deeper issues and you are not capable of playing savior anyway.

Now for your last sentence.  By calling out conservatives, you are by default calling yourself a liberal.  Liberals are by their own admission tolerant of others.  By making this statement and your entire post, you are by definition being intolerant, the exact opposite of what you claim to be.  There is a word for that...

I must say that I wouldn't be in your guild.  I am a grown adult and I don't need a guild leader protecting me from others spewing their opinions about other games mind you in guild chat.  I am more than capable of telling someone to STFU and don't need people like you making my decisions for me and telling me what I can and can not hear.

• Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    Originally posted by Bannuk

So, people trashing another game in guild chat will HARM other players?  Exactly how will they HARM other players?  Are they going to cause others to say slit their wrists?   Will it cause others to take an entire bottle of sleeping pills and drink a fifth of Jack to swallow them all?  Or could it cause some of your guildies to load up their guns and end it all?  If anyone would harm themselves because of "Guild Chat" they have deeper issues and you are not capable of playing savior anyway.

Now for your last sentence.  By calling out conservatives, you are by default calling yourself a liberal.  Liberals are by their own admission tolerant of others.  By making this statement and your entire post, you are by definition being intolerant, the exact opposite of what you claim to be.  There is a word for that...

I must say that I wouldn't be in your guild.  I am a grown adult and I don't need a guild leader protecting me from others spewing their opinions about other games mind you in guild chat.  I am more than capable of telling someone to STFU and don't need people like you making my decisions for me and telling me what I can and can not hear.

Best post in this thread.

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

My guilds are not America so people cant just say what they want.  First sign of racism or gold selling I kick them out without any conversation.  If my guilds were empty I would tend to listen to your suggestions, however they are full of people who are playing the game and enjoying themselves.  If anyone interrupts that they get kicked out plain and simple.  I'm not a babysitter.  I don't act like any kind of authoritative leader ask any of my guild mates.  I just don't put up with any garbage.  Close minded people are harmful to guilds because they tend to be unreasonable about more then just their review of particular games.  Sorry I'm not trying to build guilds for dumb players.  And unreasonable people are dumb so I just avoid them entirely.  Try having a few unreasonable friends in your life they are a waste of time.
  • BloodaxesBloodaxes Member EpicPosts: 4,662

Having many people doesn't mean anything you could be one of those random annoying people that randomly invites people in their guild without saying a word for all we know.

Kicking someone for saying X game is crap is childish, period.

Originally posted by Bloodaxes

Having many people doesn't mean anything you could be one of those random annoying people that randomly invites people in their guild without saying a word for all we know.

Kicking someone for saying X game is crap is childish, period.

I'm glad your not a news broadcaster someone would sue you for slander.  I never said I kick people out for just saying a game is crap.  Share your opinions don't put words in my mouth.