Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] General: MMO + RPG

Comments

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591

Diversification is always a good thing Bill. It's the main reason why our family manufacturing business has flourished through these tough times in my industry.

Long live MMO+RPG.com 

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• Darknessguy64Darknessguy64 Member Posts: 233
    Originally posted by Samhael
    I don't come here for non-MMO news. I can get that elsewhere and in a better presentation. If you're going to change focus, I recommend you re-name and re-brand.  That way, instead of visiting daily, I'll know that visiting weekly is fine.

You realize you don't have to read every article right? It really isn't that difficult to be realistic and understanding about the needs of others instead of just about you.

• CazNeergCazNeerg Member Posts: 2,198
    Originally posted by Darknessguy64

You realize you don't have to read every article right? It really isn't that difficult to be realistic and understanding about the needs of others instead of just about you.

As long as the genre has existed, there have been people who want the RPG in MMORPG to be silent.  They see it as perfectly fine for a site dedicated to MMORPGs to talk about MMOs that aren't RPGs, but talk about any RPGs that aren't MMOs and they act like the sky is falling.  Hypocrisy at it's finest.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
    Through passion, I gain strength.
    Through strength, I gain power.
    Through power, I gain victory.
    Through victory, my chains are broken.
    The Force shall free me.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910
    Originally posted by CazNeerg
    Originally posted by Darknessguy64

As long as the genre has existed, there have been people who want the RPG in MMORPG to be silent.  They see it as perfectly fine for a site dedicated to MMORPGs to talk about MMOs that aren't RPGs, but talk about any RPGs that aren't MMOs and they act like the sky is falling.  Hypocrisy at it's finest.

How do you know that the people who object to the RPG being silent aren't the same people who also object to the MMO being silent?  I'm not saying you're wrong, btw, just wondering if you're basing this on groups rather than actual individuals.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• EpicentEpicent Member UncommonPosts: 648
    I'd actually like to see more rpg coverage. Would be awesome if you guys could consider reviewing so older rpg games that weren't that well known. You could call it rpg gems or something along those lines. Thanks for this :)
  • Thessik_IrontailThessik_Irontail Member UncommonPosts: 76
    Originally posted by Ozmodan
    Yes it is hard to qualify what is a MMO any more.

No, no its not.

• Thessik_IrontailThessik_Irontail Member UncommonPosts: 76
    Originally posted by TheRealDarkeus

Adapt or die.

I am glad you guys are moving to adapt.  :-)

That is a false dichotomy, as those are not the only two options, they could also continue to cover only MMOs and thrive by doing so. The idea that doing that = die, is the furthest thing from established.

Originally posted by lizardbones

How do you know that the people who object to the RPG being silent aren't the same people who also object to the MMO being silent?  I'm not saying you're wrong, btw, just wondering if you're basing this on groups rather than actual individuals. 

I would say both groups exist, people who object to just the one, and people who object to both.  But I would have no problem with somebody arguing that only games which are both MMO and RPG should be addressed on the site, because that would be a consistent position.  It's only the hypocrisy to which I have an objection.  A lot of posters seem to be acting like this is MMO.com, not MMORPG.com.

The Force shall free me.

• crack_foxcrack_fox Member UncommonPosts: 399
    Good! 
  • AstraeisAstraeis Member UncommonPosts: 378
    The real reason must be that just covering mmorpg's has become boring, and that I can believe.

It takes one to know one.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910
    Originally posted by Thessik_Irontail
    Originally posted by TheRealDarkeus

Adapt or die.

I am glad you guys are moving to adapt.  :-)

That is a false dichotomy, as those are not the only two options, they could also continue to cover only MMOs and thrive by doing so. The idea that doing that = die, is the furthest thing from established.

How do you know that they could restrict the scope of what they cover and still thrive?  You are not privy to their financial information any more than anyone else here who doesn't work for MMORPG.com.  They probably have a much better understanding of what they make from advertising, and whether or not expanding the scope of the website will allow them to "thrive" or not.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Good choice, now I can stop visiting IGN and other big sites wading through COD after COD article to find the info on RPG's I was actually looking for.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• TorrmwyreTorrmwyre Member UncommonPosts: 66
    Originally posted by Thessik_Irontail
    Originally posted by Ozmodan
    Yes it is hard to qualify what is a MMO any more.

No, no its not.

I bet you're an expert on the subject, huh.

• MaelzraelMaelzrael Member UncommonPosts: 405

I enjoy the honesty of this article. Thank you for proving real journalism still exists somewhere, if only in small parts. 

On topic, I love rpg's almost as much as mmorpgs if not more in some cases (fire emblem awakening comes to mind) so I welcome this change. Also you guys should go ahead and cover the skyrim legendary edition and Fire emblem on the 3ds. Just my 2 cents. :D

• BrynnBrynn Member Posts: 345
    I welcome you covering single player RPGs. I wish there were more of them, I miss them.
    Originally posted by Brynn
    I welcome you covering single player RPGs. I wish there were more of them, I miss them.

Kickstarter will be giving us a fantastic crop of them in the relatively near future.

The Force shall free me.

• ApollosWillApollosWill Member UncommonPosts: 82

One stop shopping for all your MMORPGs and RPGs.??

It sounds practical, but is it?

I find (opinion coming up), with one stop shopping places, both the physical, but certainly also on the web, the more a site/store branch out, the quality become worse.

One stop shopping in the physical world still have some value. Even if less quality, time is saved.

But it is completly different on the web. The more a site have to cover, the harder it is for the user to find what they really need and want.

I have used MMORPG.com for years, and don't worry, that's not going to change, but I do want to put in my two cents, as I do not want to see this site, lose the value it have given me.

I go to MMORPG because I do want to play an RPG, but an RPG, where I can interact with a community within the game.

Of course I have an interest in Single-player RPGs as well, but I go elsewhere for that information, and I do not visit those sites as frequently as MMORPG.com, because let's face it, an RPG does not change as often as MMORPGs does.

I really hope, Bill, that you are just dipping your toes in the water, and find that it is not yet needed, as there are still ton of meat on MMORPGs, especially now with Kickstarter projects.

• Whiskey_SamWhiskey_Sam Member UncommonPosts: 323
    Everyone sells out eventually.

• moosecatlolmoosecatlol Member RarePosts: 1,530
    I'll be okay with this if Bill mans up and plays some Muramasa.
  • NevulusNevulus Member UncommonPosts: 1,288

That's cool. I'm happy for u guys finally throwing in the towel  and I understand from a business standpoint. Now as a mmo fan I am disappointed. You are now just basically a bootleg Gamespot or IGN. 

I don't mean to be rude but that's the simple fact, you are now competing with IGN and the others. So how will mmorpg.com differentiate itself? What will you offer that I can't simply get from IGN or Gamespot?

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

I was going to spell it out in factual terms but instead i will keep it simple.This site creates the negativity here NOT the readers.I do not need to spell it out,this site knows the WHY.

No matter what content or articles this site runs,it just needs to keep it REAL and not FAKE or hidden Agenda.That earns respect from readers and loses a lot of the negativity.

The analogy would be like someone saying  "look how great the prices are at so and so store".The FAKE would be by not telling the users that it is all stolen goods.See how it works,i hope my analogy made sense,it spawns negativity because all the people in the know would  feel the NEED to tell the real truth behind that store.

We all love gaming news,we love to chat about it.I am also sure MANY users here lover various gaming genres so of course it is all good,IF kept REAL.

Three simple words...Keep it REAL.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    When I first found out about mmorpg.com from a post on Vn forums, now IGN years ago, Mmorpg.com was all about mmo's. It seemed more honest, and more un-biased articles. Fast forward to today. It's like any other gaming sight that don't have the ***** to give us a no BS review. Bottom line is they're going away from just mmorpg's to everything else because they are like everyone else, greedy. Branch out get a piece of pie from everyone and prosper. This site has lost one of the most important things, integrity. May as well go back to IGN if there's nothing special with this site anymore, which use to be it was all about MMORPG's only.

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

• GameByNightGameByNight Hardware and Technology EditorMMORPG.COM Staff, Member RarePosts: 786
    Originally posted by Nevulus

That's cool. I'm happy for u guys finally throwing in the towel  and I understand from a business standpoint. Now as a mmo fan I am disappointed. You are now just basically a bootleg Gamespot or IGN. 

I don't mean to be rude but that's the simple fact, you are now competing with IGN and the others. So how will mmorpg.com differentiate itself? What will you offer that I can't simply get from IGN or Gamespot?

The same thing you have always been able to get. Just because we cover more single-player and cooperative RPGs doesn't mean that our MMORPG coverage is going to be any different. You can also look at it from the other side. Just because we start covering RPGs doesn't mean any of those other sites are suddenly going to be covering MMOs any more than they already are.

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,610

I and many others come to mmorpg.com to find out about MMOs. I get wanting to expand and make more money but dont do it at the cost of what made this webpage so great. You start mixing RPG info in with MMO info and that just becomes a pain to the hardcore MMO fans that come here for the down and dirty on new MMOs. Please make it easy to side step the RPGs from the MMOs. 

For starters like the soon to launch list on the main page, why does it have to have rpgs and mmos in there, why cant rpgs have their own list? Maybe a tag on the header of each review or article that says RPG or MMO so you know before you click it if you care. The harder it is to find the info I need on MMOs the less likely this will be my first stop for info. 

Originally posted by Nanfoodle

I and many others come to mmorpg.com to find out about MMOs. I get wanting to expand and make more money but dont do it at the cost of what made this webpage so great. You start mixing RPG info in with MMO info and that just becomes a pain to the hardcore MMO fans that come here for the down and dirty on new MMOs. Please make it easy to side step the RPGs from the MMOs. 

For starters like the soon to launch list on the main page, why does it have to have rpgs and mmos in there, why cant rpgs have their own list? Maybe a tag on the header of each review or article that says RPG or MMO so you know before you click it if you care. The harder it is to find the info I need on MMOs the less likely this will be my first stop for info. 

The site isn't named MMO.com.  I come here for info on MMORPGs.  If I can "suffer" through the inclusion of MMOs that aren't RPGs, I'm sure you can make it through the inclusion of RPGs that aren't MMOs.

The Force shall free me.