Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

WildStars Combat

AnnekynnAnnekynn Member Posts: 1,437

Im going to compare WildStars combat to WoW (and most games that derive their combat from that). If youve read this post and think what im describing is a bad system, id love to hear why.

In WildStar you can tab to select targets, but you can only lock onto them (if you chose) in PvE. In PvP you have to manually face your target at all times. In WoW you always lock onto the target, so wherever they move as long as they are within range of your attacks and there are no line of sight issues you can hit them.

In WildStar all attacks can be dodged. For instance, if something fires a Fireball at you you can move out of its way. In WoW you cannot through player skill dodge attacks. All attacks are dodged through the game calculating a hit/miss.

In WildStar most (or all) attacks have an AoE effect. So your default attack hits whats in front of you in an area resembling a thin rectangle. Meaning if there is more than one target in front of you you will hit them both. So if there is an enemy to the left of you and one to the right of you, you could reposition yourself to attack both at the same time. In WoW all attacks except those designated as AoE will attack only 1 target only. So when you shoot a Fireball, if there are things between you and your target that Fireball will fly THROUGH them and then only hit the target you had selected.

In WildStar you can only bring 8 offensive skills to a fight. So even though at level 50 you will have 30+ skills, you have to pick and chose which skills you like or want. You can change this outside of combat freely, but once youre in combat youre locked to your choices. This especially in PvP makes the flow of combat significantly smoother as there isnt a massive diarrhea of abilities being used by each player. In WoW all skills/spells are available at all times once you get them, forcing you to manage 20+ skills at the same time to be truly effective (for most classes, Rogues get off easy).

In WildStar you have interrupt armor which has to be knocked off first before you are vulnerable to crowd control abilities. Bosses can also be crowd controlled, but require multiple players to coordinate. In WoW anyone can crowd control you at any time, and youre welcome to roam the world sheeped, blinded, rooted, disarmed, feared and poisoned. There are diminishing returns on subsequent CC's.

Comments

• AvulAvul Member Posts: 196
    The combat system is fine and one of the few strengths of this game. Sometimes it's a little bit twitchy but I'm o.k. with that. The only fact I dislike so far is the need to look at the ground while fighting Mobs or other players. With the huge amount of killing quests it should call itself "WildStare" because you're constantly staring at the floor.. You can't enjoy the environment because of it. That's a little bit sad.

Elite: Dangerous - Space Exploration & Trading.

• AnnekynnAnnekynn Member Posts: 1,437

Originally posted by zelaex
    The combat system is fine and one of the few strengths of this game. Sometimes it's a little bit twitchy but I'm o.k. with that. The only fact I dislike so far is the need to look at the ground while fighting Mobs or other players. With the huge amount of killing quests it should call itself "WildStare" because you're constantly staring at the floor.. You can't enjoy the environment because of it. That's a little bit sad.

Well, I would imagine with a little practice that red stuff on the ground will be seen with periphery vision. Its no different than fire on the ground in games like WoW. You wouldnt fight bosses all the while staring on the ground waiting for it to light up, you would just notice it and move out of the way.

• RoweinRowein Member Posts: 44

I really like the WS combat telegraphs. I think it makes me more of an active participant rather than just tab/target spam my hot keys. I like the idea that I can build my Toons abilities to my liking. Another player won't know how I have built my attacks until he's in the middle of a fight.

The PVE seems a little easy but I am sure they will adjust all of the little things continually to try and balance everything. WOW has been around for ten years and they still screw with the balance every month of so.

I have only been a weekend warrior for WS so I have no idea how elder PVP is but it is my hope that that will be the focus of my game.

Rowein

• TygranirTygranir Member Posts: 741
    The combat was fun at first, but it tends to lose it's appeal pretty quick. Just my opinion though

SWTOR Referral Bonus!
    Referral link
    7 day subscriber level access
    Returning players get 1 free server transfer

Leveling assistance items given to new player!

See all perks Here

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Originally posted by Annekynn
    Im going to compare WildStars combat to WoW (and most games that derive their combat from that). If youve read this post and think what im describing is a bad system, id love to hear why.In WildStar you can tab to select targets, but you can only lock onto them (if you chose) in PvE. In PvP you have to manually face your target at all times. In WoW you always lock onto the target, so wherever they move as long as they are within range of your attacks and there are no line of sight issues you can hit them.In WildStar all attacks can be dodged. For instance, if something fires a Fireball at you you can move out of its way. In WoW you cannot through player skill dodge attacks. All attacks are dodged through the game calculating a hit/miss.In WildStar most (or all) attacks have an AoE effect. So your default attack hits whats in front of you in an area resembling a thin rectangle. Meaning if there is more than one target in front of you you will hit them both. So if there is an enemy to the left of you and one to the right of you, you could reposition yourself to attack both at the same time. In WoW all attacks except those designated as AoE will attack only 1 target only. So when you shoot a Fireball, if there are things between you and your target that Fireball will fly THROUGH them and then only hit the target you had selected.In WildStar you can only bring 8 offensive skills to a fight. So even though at level 50 you will have 30+ skills, you have to pick and chose which skills you like or want. You can change this outside of combat freely, but once youre in combat youre locked to your choices. This especially in PvP makes the flow of combat significantly smoother as there isnt a massive diarrhea of abilities being used by each player. In WoW all skills/spells are available at all times once you get them, forcing you to manage 20+ skills at the same time to be truly effective (for most classes, Rogues get off easy).In WildStar you have interrupt armor which has to be knocked off first before you are vulnerable to crowd control abilities. Bosses can also be crowd controlled, but require multiple players to coordinate. In WoW anyone can crowd control you at any time, and youre welcome to roam the world sheeped, blinded, rooted, disarmed, feared and poisoned. There are diminishing returns on subsequent CC's.

...cant say anything..NDA...

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• Righteous_RockRighteous_Rock Member RarePosts: 1,234
    How is it, that I type the letter "W" and I get a stern warning about breaking the Wildstar NDA, yet you get to discuss combat, targeting, dodging, aoe effects. .... WTF?

Originally posted by Righteous_Rock
    How is it, that I type the letter "W" and I get a stern warning about breaking the Wildstar NDA, yet you get to discuss combat, targeting, dodging, aoe effects. .... WTF?

Nothing I said breaks NDA because its all public knowledge. Watch the Twitch streams for starters, everything ive said has been clearly shown/demonstrated by those permitted by Carbine to do so.

Originally posted by Nitth

Cant say anything.... except about things like what Carbine has shown themselves of the game at and by others permitted to do so.

• AzureProwerAzurePrower Member UncommonPosts: 1,550
    Originally posted by Annekynn

Originally posted by Nitth

Cant say anything.... except about things like what Carbine has shown themselves of the game at and by others permitted to do so.

Rather save my opinions for when the NDA completely drops rather than tip toe around it like 'oh yeah, I saw it on some stream and didn't experience for myself first hand. Totally.'