Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Classes Problems

weston101weston101 Member UncommonPosts: 12
Ok i love eso the story the graphics it's great at least what my old computer can do, but my biggest problem is the class system over all seem to limit me and that is not what elder scrolls games are, ok i don't mind the 3 sub class break down in a class but love the class system and let us pick and chose from the 12 sub class system thier is, so we can play the way we want,

Comments

• udonudon Member UncommonPosts: 1,803
    Originally posted by weston101
    Ok i love eso the story the graphics it's great at least what my old computer can do, but my biggest problem is the class system over all seem to limit me and that is not what elder scrolls games are, ok i don't mind the 3 sub class break down in a class but love the class system and let us pick and chose from the 12 sub class system thier is, so we can play the way we want,

It's not as open as a game like TSW for sure but it's also much more open than a tree system like Rift that makes you spend more than half your points to get to the best abilities in a tree and I think it works fine for how the mechanics of the game are designed.  Anyways, it's way to late for them to even think about removing class restrictions from this game.  It would mess up every PVE encounter not to mention what it would do to PVP.  You can't just change a thing like this after you have put all the content in place and expect it to work, the two have to be designed around each other from the start.

Either you can live with ESO's class system or you are going to have to pass on the game because at this point there is no real option for them changing it.

• DaxamarDaxamar Member UncommonPosts: 593

I like the class system to be honest. Theres a lot of things you can do with it.

We did  Banished Cells wit 2 sorcs and 2 templars. 1 sorc was medium armor, melee type, me the othe rsorc was ranged magic with pet and staff. One Templar was the tank (sword and board), and the other was the healer in cloth ans staff. I saw people sue bows, and melee wepons on different classes. It was a good mix. You also get rewards from quest that may not fit your idea of a class, but you can use them. Try them out. Not all will work out, but its your choice.

As always in any MMO that gives you freedom to mix and match there the min/max crowd. Sure there better combos to get the most bang out of your class, but the choices are there.

You want a templar to have more mana, wear cloth. You want you sorc to have more armor, wear medium or even heavy armor. You can do it. Just remeber theres down sides to every choice you make. Theres combos that you can do that make you worthless tho. Im sure people will give examples.

• weston101weston101 Member UncommonPosts: 12
    i think my over all problem with the whole class system is it does limit u on the play style and es games alaways been about play u'r way, even thow it's a small limit it still seems wrong fo eso to have it, but on the same hand thats my biggest problem with the game over all will that and how will end game be cause i'm not a pvp player so once story is done whats left, but for that we just have to wait and see if they add alot of stuff like they said every 6 weeks,  ok 2 problems not sure to get pc or just get a ps4 later and get it thier but what can i say personal problem.
  • deakondeakon Member Posts: 583

It doesn't really limit your play-style tbh you can play in any style with any class, class adds a flavour to each play-style for sure but imho it's just enough to make me want 3 alts

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135
    i think my over all problem with the whole class system is it does limit u on the play style and es games alaways been about play u'r way, even thow it's a small limit it still seems wrong fo eso to have it, but on the same hand thats my biggest problem with the game over all will that and how will end game be cause i'm not a pvp player so once story is done whats left, but for that we just have to wait and see if they add alot of stuff like they said every 6 weeks,  ok 2 problems not sure to get pc or just get a ps4 later and get it thier but what can i say personal problem.

Yes  and no.

If your interpretation of Elder Scrolls is 'Skyrim', then in that regard it definitely feels more limited. However this isn't the first Elder Scrolls game to have class based abilities. That said, I actually went through and checked, and many of the skills from the previous ES games are actually in the TESO as well.

It is more restrictive than the single player games in the general sense, but it's also implemented in such a way that it offers you quite a bit of freedom. It's just a different system than w/ previous games, is all. And each game had different mechanics for how they handled skills to begin with.

I think a lot of people look too much at the class skills as the end-all be-all of skills. Some even go as far as to assume you need to spec all points into a single tree to have a decent / legit setup. Given that the majority of skills are actually tied to your weapon, armor, guilds, AvA, and world trees, this couldn't be further from the truth. I've found it best to view the class skills as more of extra utility that each class brings to the table. They are different, but they aren't really limiting. I've found all classes can fulfill the general roles, none of the classes feels particularly 'weak' with any of the weapons or armor. It's just minor differences to how they approach each build.

To each their own, though. This is why I keep telling people to approach games like new games. When you start expecting them to behave like other games, it usually leads to all kinds of assumptions that the devs can rarely actually live up to.

• Jagwar_FangJagwar_Fang Member UncommonPosts: 264

Balance.  It's all about balance.  Balance isn't a big deal in a single player ES title but here it is.  Classes make it easier to tweak the games balance because there are more defined skill sets to work with.

That being said.  There is way more flexibility to play like you want in this game than there is any other MMO I've played.

• Castielle101Castielle101 Member CommonPosts: 81

I think the class system is probably one of the bright spots of the game.  It really feels like you can be just about anything. 

Cas

Join the fan-powered community wiki for Elder Scrolls Online.
    http://elderscrollsonline.wiki.fextralife.com/Elder+Scrolls+Online+Wiki

• NotimeforbsNotimeforbs Member CommonPosts: 346

I think this is more a problem of people trying to play this game like any other MMO and not trying to meet the game where it actually is.

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Originally posted by Notimeforbs

I think this is more a problem of people trying to play this game like any other MMO and not trying to meet the game where it actually is.

Yup I agree. And there is a learning curve... and you can gimp yourself. That's the flip side of more open class systems vs. WOW's hand-holding, no-gimp system as it's currently implemented.

That is actually my one and only concern about the game retaining players. I'd like to believe that MMORPG fans enjoy the challenge of picking abilities to design their own class. But it may just frustrate the casual WOW player who comes by thinking "WOW but in Tamriel."

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

Originally posted by Iselin

Yup I agree. And there is a learning curve... and you can gimp yourself. That's the flip side of more open class systems vs. WOW's hand-holding, no-gimp system as it's currently implemented.

That is actually my one and only concern about the game retaining players. I'd like to believe that MMORPG fans enjoy the challenge of picking abilities to design their own class. But it may just frustrate the casual WOW player who comes by thinking "WOW but in Tamriel."

I agree.  It's very easy to gimp yourself with your first character.  Luckily, Live will feature a respec system that will help with this issue.  But I think once players get to that first boss fight (which will probably be Gutripper in the Mage's Guild line)... they're in for a serious wake-up call.

• LagKingBongLagKingBong Member Posts: 54
    Any CC v the first few solo bosses do wonders. Just make sure by lvl 7 you have a utility/CC skill to make all future battles less pokemon-esq from there on.
  • GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

They should not call them classes, it's misleading.

Class in TESO = mage school. Everyone in TESO is a mage :/

• LagKingBongLagKingBong Member Posts: 54

Correction: "I saw mostly mage-builds in TESO during the beta".

Which was not my experience. And it seems you are vastly underestimating the term "mage". Very versatile meaning, especially in this game. Some magical attacks are geared for physical builds and so on. Just because everyone can cast fire rune doesn't make everyone a mage.. :/

Originally posted by LagKingBong

Which was not my experience. And it seems you are vastly underestimating the term "mage". Very versatile meaning, especially in this game. Some magical attacks are geared for physical builds and so on. Just because everyone can cast fire rune doesn't make everyone a mage.. :/

II think he's referring to the fact that all Class Abilities in the game run off of Magicka - all of them.  And if you look, all Weapon Abilities run off of Stamina - all of them.

He's just making an overly technical play on words.

Any CC v the first few solo bosses do wonders. Just make sure by lvl 7 you have a utility/CC skill to make all future battles less pokemon-esq from there on.

Also... use your Quick Sips.  They help a lot.

• DraemosDraemos Member UncommonPosts: 1,521

II think he's referring to the fact that all Class Abilities in the game run off of Magicka - all of them.  And if you look, all Weapon Abilities run off of Stamina - all of them.

Staves abilities use magika.

Correction: "I saw mostly mage-builds in TESO during the beta".Which was not my experience. And it seems you are vastly underestimating the term "mage". Very versatile meaning, especially in this game. Some magical attacks are geared for physical builds and so on. Just because everyone can cast fire rune doesn't make everyone a mage.. :/

That is indeed a difference between mage and non-mage - one can cast the fire while the other can't.

Basic attacks and weapons skills are just a filler for your mage school skills. Pure melee builds are not viable.

Weapons do not even have their ultimates...

Originally posted by Draemos

Are you sure about that?  I'm not arguing for the sake of arguing, I'm genuinely curious.

• whisperwyndwhisperwynd Member UncommonPosts: 1,668
    Originally posted by Draemos

Staves use stamina as well.

http://esohead.com/skills?line=33

II think he's referring to the fact that all Class Abilities in the game run off of Magicka - all of them.  And if you look, all Weapon Abilities run off of Stamina - all of them.He's just making an overly technical play on words.

No. I am refering to simple fact of lack of specialization.

Everyone in TESO is a mage with option for some melee ability.

Are you sure about that?  I'm not arguing for the sake of arguing, I'm genuinely curious.

Yep, staves use magica as their resource.

Originally posted by Gdemami

No. I am refering to simple fact of lack of specialization.

Everyone in TESO is a mage with option for some melee ability.

Well.. if you want to really get into it... that's all any class in any MMO is.  The whole game is "Magic the Gathering."  So I don't really understand what your point is.

• whisperwyndwhisperwynd Member UncommonPosts: 1,668
    Originally posted by Gdemami

Yep, staves use magica as their resource.

No they don't. All weapons use stamina.

http://esohead.com/skills?line=33#category:2;line:33

This is for the destruction staff, the resto also uses stam.

that's all any class in any MMO is.

That is of course not true.

Originally posted by whisperwynd
    No they don't. All weapons use stamina.http://esohead.com/skills?line=33#category:2;line:33This is for the destruction staff, the resto also uses stam. 

Either they changed it in later builds(beta weekend build was dated) or there is an error on the site.

In beta weekend, staves used Mana as their resource pool.

Imo, it is just an error on the site.