Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nameplates?

TrixxellTrixxell Member UncommonPosts: 17

Has there been any Official word as to whether they are going to have nameplates in the game? So far they have been in some of the Beta's but greyed out option, and not in others.

This seems to be my one biggest complaint about the game so far. With the aimed targetting to see who someone is I feel like i'm spinning in circles just to see the names of the people around me.

Comments

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719

I seem to remember this being an option already but it has been turned off the past 3 beta weekends... 

From their support page:

CAN WE SEE THE NAMES OF OUR ENEMIES? CAN WE SEE THEIR RANK OR LEVEL?

Updated 03/02/2014 08:08 AM          Published 12/24/2013 10:39 AM

Players can choose to enable nameplates for themselves, allies, and enemies. The details can be adjusted in the Settings menu under Interface. An enemy player's rank is displayed symbolically next to their name when a player has them targeted.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• TrixxellTrixxell Member UncommonPosts: 17
    Originally posted by Iselin

I seem to remember this being an option already but it has been turned off the past 3 beta weekends... 

From their support page:

Players can choose to enable nameplates for themselves, allies, and enemies. The details can be adjusted in the Settings menu under Interface. An enemy player's rank is displayed symbolically next to their name when a player has them targeted.

Very good news indeed for me, I kept searching the Beta forums for an answer and never really found a definitive answer.

Thanks for the info i missed.

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

From their support page:

I allways play without nameplates... Its more immersive... But sometimes nameplates come in handy, if they implement them in the final release, then i hope i can set a hotkey for quickly switching them on or off..

optional things being optional like this are allways a win win

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

From their support page:

I allways play without nameplates... Its more immersive... But sometimes nameplates come in handy, if they implement them in the final release, then i hope i can set a hotkey for quickly switching them on or off..

optional things being optional like this are allways a win win

I have to say, I'm usually the opposite and turn them on. But these past 3 beta weekends without them have gotten me used to it. It has grown on me to the point where I'll probably leave the off too.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• ReticulataReticulata Member UncommonPosts: 98

From their support page:

I have searched all of the settings in-game and was unable to find the option to turn names on. It seemed that people in zone chat also indicated that there were no toggle-on for name plates.

This is my biggest complaint with the game, as it ruins immersion for me, especially in pve. It seems everyone is anonymous and it is often hard to tell who is an npc and who is a player. You could run into the same player 500 times over the course of a few weeks and never know his name or form any sort of connection to the person, unless you took the effort of manually mousing around to examine him all 500 times. That does not happen, so people just blindly run past nameless faces, endlessly.

Ruins the sense of community for me.

SOE changes name to Daybreak games, cause dey break games.
  • berenimberenim Member UncommonPosts: 162

I do not mind nameplates or an option to turn them on or off, but for me it is hard to grab why the lack of nameplates lowers immersion. Contrary, irl we do not have nameplates, so them missing raises my immersion, as I have to check if that's an NPC or player, it feels more like a world and less like a game. At least for me everything that gives the world feeling (less GUI stuff onscreen, less numbers, and so on) raises immersion.

But each to his/her own, as they can be handy if it is possilbe to switch them on and off quickly.

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    Originally posted by berenim

I do not mind nameplates or an option to turn them on or off, but for me it is hard to grab why the lack of nameplates lowers immersion. Contrary, irl we do not have nameplates, so them missing raises my immersion, as I have to check if that's an NPC or player, it feels more like a world and less like a game. At least for me everything that gives the world feeling (less GUI stuff onscreen, less numbers, and so on) raises immersion.

But each to his/her own, as they can be handy if it is possilbe to switch them on and off quickly.

I can imagine that it's only a matter of time (5 or 10 years) before we will have "nameplates" above our heads in RL.

Using something like a combination of Google Glass, GPS and mobile phone ID's, it should be possible to project peoples' "names" above their heads in a HUD overlay projected directly onto your retina by a low-power laser. All the tech is either already available or under development currently. All that's needed is to combine it into a single application.

We recognize people in RL because the human eye is very good at picking-out the small details in faces and the subtle differences in body shape and movement patterns. All those talents honed over millions of years of evolution are utterly useless in video games, because the amount of possible character detail is miniscule compared to RL. It's impossible to tell avatars apart "by the way that they walk", because they all use the same animation.

You could easily find your Orc buddy in a line-up of Khajits, but seriously doubt you'll pick him out in a group of Orcs. Not without a nameplate.

I will mostly play PVE without nameplates, but in certain situations they are very convenient to have. In PVP I'll have to see how distracting it is, specially in mass PVP.

• TrixxellTrixxell Member UncommonPosts: 17
    Originally posted by SpottyGekko

We recognize people in RL because the human eye is very good at picking-out the small details in faces and the subtle differences in body shape and movement patterns. All those talents honed over millions of years of evolution are utterly useless in video games, because the amount of possible character detail is miniscule compared to RL. It's impossible to tell avatars apart "by the way that they walk", because they all use the same animation.

You could easily find your Orc buddy in a line-up of Khajits, but seriously doubt you'll pick him out in a group of Orcs. Not without a nameplate.

This is the exact reason why I'm in the corner of requiring nameplates for enjoyable gameplay and a sence of community.

The detail of the game is not good enough (as the technalogy doesn't exist for mmo's yet) to be able to recognize a friend or passing aquaintance by the subtile things a person usually uses in real life. Thus the only way to easily mimic this sence of recognition is with nameplate in my opinion.