Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Am i the only one?

Comments

• onlinenow25onlinenow25 Member UncommonPosts: 305
    Originally posted by CommoX
    Originally posted by onlinenow25
    Originally posted by reeereee
    Originally posted by Soki123
    Worst combat in an MMO, bar none..

Incorrect, FFXIV has the worst combat. 

Uh.... its basic tab targeting with actually really well done animations.

Unlike ESO which is basically tab targeting with terrible animations. 

While the animations on some weapons (glares at the bow) are weak and or lackluster, I've not once used tab in the entirety of the beta I've played through 5 characters and over 30 levels.

At least not for targeting. I might have used tab in some other function, but in combat I simply faced what I was attacking and either used my basic or charged attacks and other abilities.

I find the combat to be enjoyable with the abilities I have experienced, again I'm a bow user and I find the bow a tad lackluster compared to other weapons.

Am I missing some awesome thing by not using tab? I've never had trouble keeping track of which target I should be killing with or without tabbing.

No what your missing is that the game has target locking just like a Tab Targeting and its combat does not vary far if at all from Tab Targeting combat which is why you need to read and take in the whole sentence that I typed.  The word in Orange changes the point of the sentence which you ignored.  By saying Basically, it means while there are changes to the combat it boils down to the same mechanics as Tab Targeting, instead of Tab Targeting it is Reticle Targeting.  All the mechanics of Tab Targeting are present the only thing that changed was what is used to target.

Meaning every mechanic of Tab Targeting is there.  As far as spells and arrows are concerned every attack locks on to the target and will not miss.  Yes you can "dodge"  roll them, but that just drops you from being a target, you can't actually dodge attacks with out the dodge mechanic.  You can't hide behind objects once a spell has been launched for it not to hit you.

Now melee is a bit different, but its still the same as other MMOs, for single target attacks you still need a target to even use the skill because the skill needs to lock on to something to be used. 

I am amazed that people are falling for the combat being truly new and not realizing that its Tab Targeting changed to Reticle Targeting.  (Yes I don't say aiming because you don't need to aim just have your mouse in the area that it considers a target)

• DreycraftDreycraft Member UncommonPosts: 107
    Nope you aren't the only one, I love the combat too. Each weapon swing feels heavy and when you make contact you can actually tell, especially with the killing blow using a two-handed weapon. I am concerned that the game will not be ready for launch on 4/4 though, big time. Believe me, I want this game, bad, but all the issues I reported during the last weekend almost a month ago were still present, none that I experienced last time were resolved, not one. The one that pissed me off the most was the fact that the Dragonknight's ultimate ability Dragon Leap was still broken, if it was something tiny I could understand them missing it, but that's the Dragonknight's coolest ability so come on. Also last time I didn't experience any latency issues, this weekend I've had them the entire time, it made the game unplayable all day and night Friday and most of Saturday, today was better though but still bad. And NO it's not on my end, every other mmo I'm currently playing are all latency-free and my download speeds are lightning fast as usual, I did like 8 speed tests all weekend to be sure. Yes I know what everyone will say, "this is BETA!" and I'll say, "no s**t" but I've participated in many mmorpg betas and usually each session gets better with the issues, not worse, especially when less than a month from early access/release. I'm really hoping that I just drew the unlucky short straw for this session and everything went wrong for me, because last time was great. I just hope that they didn't fix those bugs I reported for some unknown to me reason, but there was a reason for them doing so and they'll be resolved for launch. 
  • frostgardianfrostgardian Member Posts: 7
    the melee combat I enjoyed however the spells auto hitting was disappointing,  would love to see same spell usage as skyrim
  • TelondarielTelondariel Member Posts: 1,001
    Originally posted by dukelunar
    Finally someone agrees with me on that, only have seen lots of hate on the combat in this game.

The people you see hating are the same ones that have been repeating their messages for months.  Judging by the in-game beta chat, they are a minority.  Less than a minority, as they won't even be playing the game.  

For myself, I love the combat.  In the last 2 beta weekends I've played with 3 builds of the two classes I want to play at launch.  Completely different styles and dynamics, and both quite fun.  Not boring or clunky at all.

You always have to consider the source of the hate you hear.  Look up their post history, and you will undoubtedly see a pattern.  Take that into consideration, and move on.

• lunatiquezlunatiquez Member UncommonPosts: 381
    Originally posted by GwapoJosh

Am i the only one enjoying the combat in this game? Combat feels so much better in this BETA than it did in the previous BETA.

Share your opinion on the combat in ESO.

As far as I know, the combat in this beta is the exact same as last beta. No changes have been made for this one. It's just for server stress testing.

It's this term called "delusion".

Well yes, it's good to love the game, but you should do some research first, or maybe read the patch note.

This is the very same build as the last beta, they just added some server configurations.

• JHenryJHenry Member Posts: 188
    Originally posted by greenreen

How dare you like something in this game.

I predict your thread won't go over page 1 while the thread complaining about underwater combat will make 8 pages.

Yes, I like the combat.

how dare you underestimate his post. Look, it became page 4 already :P

SOLA - www.solaguild.com
    (christian guild. Being christian is not required for membership though)

• KattycakeKattycake Member Posts: 37
    I wish the combat was like in all Elder Scrolls (mainly magic). Chucking fireballs and frostbolts left and right no designated weapon needed.

xoxo

• Kasp3rKasp3r Member Posts: 67

Unlike ESO which is basically tab targeting with terrible animations. 

eso has tab targeting?

• DreycraftDreycraft Member UncommonPosts: 107
    Originally posted by Telondariel
    Finally someone agrees with me on that, only have seen lots of hate on the combat in this game.

The people you see hating are the same ones that have been repeating their messages for months.  Judging by the in-game beta chat, they are a minority.  Less than a minority, as they won't even be playing the game.  

For myself, I love the combat.  In the last 2 beta weekends I've played with 3 builds of the two classes I want to play at launch.  Completely different styles and dynamics, and both quite fun.  Not boring or clunky at all.

You always have to consider the source of the hate you hear.  Look up their post history, and you will undoubtedly see a pattern.  Take that into consideration, and move on.

Great comment, couldn't have said it better myself. Never once did I think, "man this combat is so clunky" it just isn't at all. And the ones complaining they wish the spells or bows were like Skyrim, it would be terrible in this game, especially during PvP. It would be a horrible, HORRIBLE experience having 8 melee players smashing your face in while you pathetically try to aim and hit one player with only one fireball or arrow before dying.

• baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311

Originally posted by dreycraft
    Originally posted by Telondariel Originally posted by dukelunar Finally someone agrees with me on that, only have seen lots of hate on the combat in this game.
    The people you see hating are the same ones that have been repeating their messages for months.  Judging by the in-game beta chat, they are a minority.  Less than a minority, as they won't even be playing the game.     For myself, I love the combat.  In the last 2 beta weekends I've played with 3 builds of the two classes I want to play at launch.  Completely different styles and dynamics, and both quite fun.  Not boring or clunky at all.   You always have to consider the source of the hate you hear.  Look up their post history, and you will undoubtedly see a pattern.  Take that into consideration, and move on.
    Great comment, couldn't have said it better myself. Never once did I think, "man this combat is so clunky" it just isn't at all. And the ones complaining they wish the spells or bows were like Skyrim, it would be terrible in this game, especially during PvP. It would be a horrible, HORRIBLE experience having 8 melee players smashing your face in while you pathetically try to aim and hit one player with only one fireball or arrow before dying.

yeah, i agree it would be horrid and it's really not that fun in skyrim either to be honest.

sniping with a bow is cool only because they die in one or two shots and are not another player that can evade your arrows easily by simply strafing.

• MMO-RelicMMO-Relic Member UncommonPosts: 81
    Yeah, I really didn't notice much of a change. Could be subtle.

Acolytes Gaming (forums.acolytesgaming.com)

Sheep or Shepard- Make up your own damn mind.

It is true, the older you get, the less patience you have for those who watch a Youtube video and from that believe they know it all.

• flguy147flguy147 Member UncommonPosts: 507
    Yeah its the same build as the last beta but I think it feels better when you start to get more abilities and more morphs.  And also getting some of the ones that you wanted for your hot bar.
  • a6point6a6point6 Member UncommonPosts: 44

This client build was made like december 26th.

This beta was not for showing a real product, but for continues stretching stress on servers.

Thats why ppl saw the same bugs etc. They have a stable release being played by the deticated beta players.

In this one there are bug fixes, improvements to animation, improvements to effects, collision detection, real

loot prices instead (1g). New pve mode, harder mobs, skipable starterzones.

You are not gonna see these fixes and improvements before launch.

Im glad they are overstressing servers. this beta went much better in pve but abit more laggy in pvp.

But keeping in mind we are gonna be divided on EU and NDA servers,

it seems to become stable serverside.

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] CommonPosts: 0
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by inemosz

Am i the only one enjoying the combat in this game? Combat feels so much better in this BETA than it did in the previous BETA.

As far as I know, the combat in this beta is the exact same as last beta. No changes have been made for this one. It's just for server stress testing.

Well yes, it's good to love the game, but you should do some research first, or maybe read the patch note.

This is the very same build as the last beta, they just added some server configurations.

It could simply be a matter of better performance for these people, which may make things like combat smoother. There's no reason to call people delusional when explainable circumstances could cause such a noticeable difference.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

Originally posted by Dren_Utogi
    Originally posted by a6point6

This beta was not for showing a real product, but for continues stretching stress on servers.

Thats why ppl saw the same bugs etc. They have a stable release being played by the deticated beta players.

In this one there are bug fixes, improvements to animation, improvements to effects, collision detection, real

Im glad they are overstressing servers. this beta went much better in pve but abit more laggy in pvp.

starting to see the xcuse trainipulling in.... choochooo

Not really. More like facts, and cant really take it serious from a guy who stress test servers and then off the game cause he gets a few lagspikes, when thats the whole point :P

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    Originally posted by Heavy-armor-warrior

Nope. Count me in!

You guys know that this is exactly the same build as in the previous beta?

I think this only means that it took you guys some time getting used to the combat, and that you finally grasped what it is all about...  Combat truely is fun in this game with quite some depth in the end... Its much more then pushing buttons in the correct order (Cycle) while standing still on the spot

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• lunatiquezlunatiquez Member UncommonPosts: 381
    Originally posted by Distopia
    Originally posted by inemosz

It could simply be a matter of better performance for these people, which may make things like combat smoother. There's no reason to call people delusional when explainable circumstances could cause such a noticeable difference.

Well, these people didn't mention which part of the combat that got better after all.. 

• MMO-RelicMMO-Relic Member UncommonPosts: 81

Love how the cynics are consistently cynical. ;)

Acolytes Gaming (forums.acolytesgaming.com)

Sheep or Shepard- Make up your own damn mind.

It is true, the older you get, the less patience you have for those who watch a Youtube video and from that believe they know it all.

• blayugsblayugs Member Posts: 108
    The lag was worse this beta but that is because they invited more players to stress test. Atleast it fixed the 5min loading screen wait from the previous beta weekend.

After playing several characters to level 12 this beta weekend I found that AvAvA was the fastest way to level  and make gold, followed by solo grinding mobs then questing. 
    Dungeons were the worst way to get xp which was sad, but that didnt stop me from doing back to back dungeon runs.
  • Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

I hope they ad trains...,. please let them add trains of mobs... i loved training them

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

I hope they ad trains...,. please let them add trains of mobs... i loved training them

yeah lets "bum" the guy who states the facts. Im posting facts here, and im 50%/50% on the game still. ive payed the price and gonna play the first month, after that i still dont know.

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] CommonPosts: 0
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • NomadRedNomadRed Member Posts: 13

I played it for the first time this weekend and I was blown away at the whole thing. I didn't expect much from it, but with everything on ultra it looks fantastic. The combat was great too, I love the frenetic or dynamic way in which your blocks and dodges are real and nor just stats. It ran so smoothly too. I'm actually waiting for Wildstar, but I have to say, ESO is definitely worth playing if you don't like Disney Pixar looking games. It reminded me a lot of Age of Conan except much faster and a graphics overload.

I couldn't get in last weekend because the queue was like 1500+, hahaha.

Anyway, peace out.

Never Expect and Never Oblige...!!!

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919

Devs have two jobs to do:

1. Design a combat system

2. Implement said combat system

Whether you like the combat system they decide to go with is subjective; do they have GCDs, tab targeting, is it FPS, are there chained styles, CD. Whatever they decide at the end of the day you will either a) like it, decide it works b) accept it c) dislike it / feel it doesn't work. Subjective.

And then they implement it and that should be bug free - regardless of whether you like it.