Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Free-to-Win

LerxstLerxst Member UncommonPosts: 648

Title kind of says it all.  I'm looking for that elusive F2P game that doesn't require money to be "competitive", or stand a chance in the game against other players.  I'm not even hung up on genre anymore, really, just looking for a traditional style MMORPG.

World of Tanks - came close, but eventually the lack of money spending bites you in the ass when you get pitted against much higher damanging, faster moving, well armored tanks you can't win against without spending money to be on equal ground with.

LoL - Not bad, but I really don't like the MOBA style of game overall.  Besides, too many people treat it like it's their livelihood to be much fun these days.

Project Gorgon - Has what it takes, but is only in alpha and only a small fraction complete.  Not enough to it to really consider a game... and doubtful it will be a F2P model.

Uncharted Waters Online - Has been a total clusterfuck for a while and changed publishers recently.  Still lots of pay-to-win devices everywhere you turn, and more people begging for even more methods of paying to win.  Looks like it's destined to always be that way.

Comments

• Nickhead420Nickhead420 Member UncommonPosts: 251
    Have you tried Planetside 2?  It's a pretty decent futuristic FPS.  Similar to BF 2142 but open.  It's 3 factions fighting an open world war over 3 (soon to be 4) continents, with infantry and land and air vehicles.  You can play completely free and stay competitive, as you earn points to unlock weapons, abilities and extras.  You can pay, but it mean doesn't you'll do any better.  You can buy weapons (usually around $7 each) but for the most part, all weapons are pretty much equal.  One might hit harder, but has way more recoil.  You can get all of those weapons for free as well.  It just takes a little bit to save enough points to do so.  With 0% xp bonus, you get ~100 xp per kill.  For every 250 xp, you get one cert point (and there's bonuses for a lot of things).  Weapons cost 500-1000 certs.  Pretty much the ONLY things you HAVE to pay for (can't unlock via certs)are camos and vehicle ornaments (brush guards, hood ornaments, horns).  Members ($15 a month) get a constant xp boost of 25-50% and continent queue priority.  Not really a big deal.  I'd give it 7.5/10 for free players, 8.5/10 for paid.  Definitely worth checking out.  My best advice is to to give it some time.  Don't get discouraged and rage quit in the first 10 minutes.  Take a little time to get yourself acquainted with the game.  And join a squad!  Don't try to lone wolf it in your first few hours.
  • PAL-18PAL-18 Member UncommonPosts: 844
    PlaneShift and thats it pretty much.

So, did ESO have a successful launch? Yes, yes it did.By Ryan Getchell on April 02, 2014.
    **On the radar: http://www.cyberpunk.net/ **

• PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,072
    Neocron 2 is completely free last I checked.

Istaria is also free provided you create just 1 human character.

I haven't played either of these games for long enough to state whether they are good games or not; just thought I would offer those two as suggestions for what you may be looking for.

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

• AsgrimAsgrim Member UncommonPosts: 92

Istaria is a great game for one the free human character because you can multi-class every single available class. Take Warrior to level 100, then Cleric, then Druid, then Mage. You can also qualify for special classes once your skills reach certain levels, like Reaver or Knight of Creation.

You do have an adventure rating, so if you're not careful you'll find yourself having to fight monsters that are much tougher than you because you mixed too many low level classes. It's best to take one to 100 and then start adding.

Istaria has a great, deep crafting system. Gathering and crafting is a whole other game with different tiers and the ability to level crafting classes to 100.

You could literally play years on one character. And if you sub, you can own land and build on it. Or start as a young dragon and work your way up to becoming a massive ancient dragon. Dragons don't own plots -- they shape their own lairs.

I'm honestly surprised that more people don't play Istaria. It had a rocky start back in the day and switched owners a few times. But the current devs who have been running it for the past several years or so are really committed and consistently patch and tweak the game.

It's old. It's not perfect. You have to be able to look past the flaws and the not so great character/creature models. The world is wide open, the community is tight-knight and the game is very immersing.

• AeonbladesAeonblades Member Posts: 2,083

Rift - Completely F2P, no content behind a paywall other than certain classes which aren't required at all to get to max level and enjoy the game

Honestly can't think of any other MMO right now that is completely F2P without forcing you to pay money other than Rift atm.

Currently Playing: ESO and FFXIV
    Have played: You name it
    If you mention rose tinted glasses, you better be referring to Mitch Hedberg.