Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

so what kind of Video Game is NOT considered MMO games?

13»

Comments

• Kevyne-ShandrisKevyne-Shandris Member UncommonPosts: 2,077
    Originally posted by Kyleran
    Madden NFL, but I'm not quite sure why, I mean there's 24 characters on the field right?

Sounds stupid now, but mark my words, these sites will one day complete whoring themselves out and include them based on player interest.

About the sum of it. When I see card games included as a MMO, it's time to just change the name of the site to an generic game site, instead.

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by Forgrimm
    Originally posted by nariusseldon

Since when?

WoW dungeons are 5,10, 25-man. That is hardly massive .. in fact, smaller than even a BF4 game. Ditto for NWO, GW1, DDO, .....

You must think that all words in a label needs to be literal ... just that LoL and D3 are listed here shows that it is not true.

Instanced dungeons are only one part of WoW. You failed to mention the non-instanced zones in which hundreds of players can be in simultaneously.

and a) no one does anything with anyone else anyway even in those zones except tagging mobs you are about to attack to steal that mine nodes from you, and b) leveling up is only very small part of the gameplay .. most is the instanced gameplay at end game .. and very many would just queue dungeons to level up anyway.

Originally posted by Kevyne-Shandris
    Originally posted by Kyleran
    Madden NFL, but I'm not quite sure why, I mean there's 24 characters on the field right?

Sounds stupid now, but mark my words, these sites will one day complete whoring themselves out and include them based on player interest.

About the sum of it. When I see card games included as a MMO, it's time to just change the name of the site to an generic game site, instead.

nah .. just broaden the meaning of MMOs to include more games. Problem solved.

In fact, isn't that already happening?

• dave6660dave6660 Member UncommonPosts: 2,699

Freecell.  Even the most egregious marketing and advertising people couldn't spin that as an MMO.

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387
    Originally posted by dave6660

Freecell.  Even the most egregious marketing and advertising people couldn't spin that as an MMO.

Freecell Online

Come check out our Freecall MMO card game. Play online with millions of other Freecell players as oyu chat and share scores with millions of other players in this massively populated multiple online card game of the ages!!

Free trial at FreecellOnline.com

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• Ender4Ender4 Member UncommonPosts: 2,247

Originally posted by nariusseldon
    Originally posted by Loke666  
    No, it is not since you only interact with 4 other players there at the same time. "Massive" games have massive gameplay.
    Since when?

WoW dungeons are 5,10, 25-man. That is hardly massive .. in fact, smaller than even a BF4 game. Ditto for NWO, GW1, DDO, .....

You must think that all words in a label needs to be literal ... just that LoL and D3 are listed here shows that it is not true.

Go play WoW on expansion day, go to the first zone in the expansion. You will see hundreds of people. WoW is not a good example at all. LoL you never have more than a 5v5, that is not massive by any means.

Originally posted by Ender4

Go play WoW on expansion day, go to the first zone in the expansion. You will see hundreds of people.

Sure .. and in two weeks, that zone will be a ghost town.

Wow typically releases expansion .. what .. every 18 months? That is roughly 78 weeks. So most of the time, wow is really not that massive except the cities which act as lobbies.

Furthermore, it is not like those quest leveling players are grouping or anything. They may as well be in an instance. Sometimes phasing will separate them anyway.

• Originally posted by lizardbones
    Is the place players are interacting a world, and is it persistent?
     If Yes, then it's probably an MMORPG (World of Warcraft, Eve).
     If No, then it's probably just an MMO (Diablo III, Call of Duty).

Maybe you wrote this differently from what you meant to write, but I would say that Diablo 3 is an RPG but not an MMO.