Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] General: MMO + RPG

BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565

From here on out, you might see a lot more RPG coverage, that's without the MMO, on MMORPG.com. Today, Managing Editor Bill Murphy lays out why and what it means for the MMORPG coverage you've come to know and love. TLDR? It doesn't mean much. Read on!

Read on to find out why there's no need to fear the RPG.

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

Comments

• bliss14bliss14 Member UncommonPosts: 595
    The way of the do-do?  So you will flush it down a toilet??  Just delete, sheesh.
  • FearumFearum Member UncommonPosts: 1,175
    oh god, Moba's too? I thought we already had a toxic community here ;P
  • Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713
    DOOOM!!!! Naw, this pretty cool. Actually I can't wait to see your review on stick of truth as I haven't pulled the trigger yet.

While you're at it, I wouldn't mind seeing some more mobile MMO/RPG coverage! I find the sites specializing in mobile games to be too forgiving and I've also come to respect this sites tastes. Just a thought!

• Righteous_RockRighteous_Rock Member RarePosts: 1,234

It's all good with me bro - I like all types of games, I like the writers here (I still want to see Gw2 vs ESO pvp Bill vs Rob no hard feelings Rob, love your writing especially, just thought the broken ESO vs GW2 would be sweet Karma since you laughed at Bill before about GW2 - no pun intended with "Karma"), and finally this is where I normally come for my gaming news anyhow.

I completely understand the need to expand your horizons. It's a welcome expansion in my opinion, there is a lot of riff raff fly by night mmorpg's anyhow that really won't draw many viewers, so what else are you going to talk about? Can't keep writing GW2 articles.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002

Sounds good to me. Doesn't make sense to have a site that covers a genre of game where, when they do call themsevles "mmo" they only release a few a year.

No reason for me to go to another site to find out my rpg info which makes it easier for me.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • ozmonoozmono Member UncommonPosts: 1,211

Even though I'm weary of changes to your sites after you guys killed RTSGuru recently and turned it into a Esports site I don't really have a problem with this so long as it doesn't equate to reduced articles about actual MMORPGs.

With that said I'd personally like to request an article about Kingdom Come, deliverance. Very successful recent kickstarted RPG. It would be good contrast to the nonsense article that you published about pantheon failing because of "kickstarter fatigue" 

• CecropiaCecropia Member RarePosts: 3,985

Can't say I blame you guys. We're all gamers here, not just MMO gamers, afterall.

What stood out for me was: "We're going to make it so that when you default to GameList.cfm on the site, only MMOs are present, and that you'll have to do some additional sorting and poking around to see the RPGs, MOBAs, etc."

It's high time we put an end to calling games like LOL/WoT and so on, MMOs. Nice.

And: " We will strive to be selective, in many ways more so than recent years with the MMO list". 

Thank you and finally!

Categories, Grouping, Classification are all our friends ;)

"Mr. Rothstein, your people never will understand... the way it works out here. You're all just our guests. But you act like you're at home. Let me tell you something, partner. You ain't home. But that's where we're gonna send you if it harelips the governor." - Pat Webb

• LyrianLyrian Member UncommonPosts: 412
    I think with time we'll move onto defining the 'old' types of MMORPGs as Virtual World Simulators. Then leave MMORPGs as whatever they are now.
  • JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849
    Good! I think this site is great, from the writers to the forums and just the overall layout of the site makes navigating very easy. Im glad you guys will start covering a broader selection of games.
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

• FuriantFuriant Member UncommonPosts: 30
    All that, and the fact that when enough people complain away all the things that make MMOs interesting, there ends up being very few interesting MMOs to write about.
  • TheHavokTheHavok Member UncommonPosts: 2,423
    Sounds good to me.  Keep up the good work!
  • TibernicuspaTibernicuspa Member UncommonPosts: 1,199

This game already covered games that no one else called MMOs, like Age of Empires Online.

Nothing has changed. This site is still covering non MMO games to get more money.

• jnpcjnpc Member UncommonPosts: 4
    Well that was about time. I like this site and it's community, most of the time I'm playing an MMO but I do buy a lot of games on Steam, and why not have you guys reviewing those games too?! It is only logical that we keep our clicks to the minimal.
  • IGaveUpIGaveUp Member Posts: 273

Anybody who drinks Dunkin Donuts coffee over Starbucks is okay with me.

Good luck with the expansion.

• whisperwyndwhisperwynd Member UncommonPosts: 1,668
     This is more than fine by me. A little extra news on other genres of games is always welcome to those who play them, like me!  
  • hfamgamerhfamgamer Member UncommonPosts: 64

"The way of the do-do?  So you will flush it down a toilet??  Just delete, sheesh."

He was referring to a flightless bird that is now extinct, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dodo, much like common knowledge appears to be in this day and age.

• jbombardjbombard Member UncommonPosts: 598

As long as you cover what you decide to write about in a professional manner it's all good.  RPG, MMOs, Action-RPGs, MMOFPS, it's all good.

I would like to see less stories about games you have barely played(if at all) simply because you disagree with the premise(i.e. Scarlet Blade).  If you disagree with something and don't want to cover it properly, just don't cover it.  You do more harm by not giving publicity.  Unless your goal is just to stir shit up, then shame on you.  If you are going to cover something give it a fair shake and cover it like a professional.

• ChirikitiChirikiti Member CommonPosts: 18

More Coverage = More Sources of Advertising

The "But that's a bit cynical look at the not-so-rosy side of videogame enthusiast press" is basically the bottom-line reasoning. No need to dress it up

• CazNeergCazNeerg Member Posts: 2,198
    They already devoted coverage to MMOs that aren't RPGs, so it makes sense they would cover RPGs that aren't MMOs.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
    Through passion, I gain strength.
    Through strength, I gain power.
    Through power, I gain victory.
    Through victory, my chains are broken.
    The Force shall free me.

• LonzoLonzo Member UncommonPosts: 294
    Maybe you leave out all the crap mmos flooding the markets and no one plays

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749

I agree with the folks about the more coverage is the better.

Also Stick of Truth is fun. Just as that SP pic above, I don't play wow so I loved that episode poking wow - though I have to admit (maybe the Truth effect of the Stick), now that 4-5 years passed, that pic is almost like looking into the mirror :) even that wrist... holding... thingy is accurate :)

• Agent_JosephAgent_Joseph Member UncommonPosts: 1,361
    change site name and all ll be OK !
  • LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965

Last time I posted a topic claiming that mmorpg's are slowly fading away, and that you need no more proof than this site new found focus on singleplayer RPGs. I was banned ( for hundredth time ) and the topic was deleted.

Well at least I am glad you guys came out clean and explained the thing.

Yes mmorpgs have reputation. Yes they are risky investments that usually blow in investors faces. Yes its genre that had most potential but became most stagnant in the industry. Yes there is almost no new serious mmos being produced - you can not build whole site on 2 games in production. And yes , mmo community is shit...

So yes, its just logical you guys cover some other games...

But can you really do it ?

Single player RPGs have calm and benign fan base that doesnt like to argue. This site has reputation of wasp nest, and immaturity of first grade.

Although mmo have RPG in the name, they share very little in-common. (Unless we are talking kingdom of Amalur)

So thats a poor connection.

And yes, RPG fans are far less likely to obsesively browse web reading every article on their soper hyped game in making. Generating far less revenue... Not to mention that web marketing for RPGs is far less active than one for F2P trash titles.

I say. You guys better branch out to cover massive multiplayer games.

Like DOTAs , Dayz's , Starbound's , Minecrafts , shooters ...

This is where the wind is blowing, and fits better this sites immature agressive crowd.

• plescureplescure Member UncommonPosts: 397

It's all good. I'm a lazy person. Having to go to multiple sites for different games was wearing out my "clicking finger"

If someone is talking in general chat in a language you dont understand, chances are they're not talking to you. So chill out and stop bitching about it!

• KuinnKuinn Member UncommonPosts: 2,072

Look, an article from years ago that never got published on the site!

Can you finally at least somehow differentiate mmorpgs from other games on your news feed? Color code or something. It's frustrating on this site when you are looking for new mmorpgs, see a new game pop up and it's just some LoL clone or something else that has nothing to do with MMO's.