Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] WildStar: Stepping Out From the Shadow

13»

Comments

• jimbobfurleyjimbobfurley Member UncommonPosts: 104
    Originally posted by BadOrb

I think it looks more like Dragons lair and space ace rather than WOW , but what do I know.

Cheers,

BadOrb.

Two games (Dragon's Lair, Space Ace), that sure drained me of quarters ... ah the memories :)

• montgojjmontgojj Member Posts: 2
    awesome

n/a

• cydoneqcydoneq Member UncommonPosts: 66
    pls, i need a timemachine to drive to 2155 to play the ultimative mmorpg that is going to slave the world world

• fiontarfiontar Member UncommonPosts: 3,682

If Wildstar had actually looked like the first trailers, which actually looked like early Pixar films, I would have been happy. However, it does look like WoW in Space, which isn't a good thing 10 years after WoW.

There is a big reason why it looks so much like WoW. Not only are many key developers former Blizzard devs, but the Art Director came from WoW. Several months ago, there were a series of official screenshots that looked so much like they could have been from WoW it was uncanny. The texture style was identical to the WoW "signature look".

I think they've tried to differentiate a bit more since, but they aren't going to scrap years worth of texture work because of the backlash.

So, yeah, if the game had actually ended up looking like an earlier Pixar film, that would have been killer, but it does look too much like WoW and for many of us, if we wanted WoW, we'd just go back to WoW.

They might still make up for it in game play, but most people are highly visual and if they don't like the look of a game, it's hard to even get the chance to try to win them over on game play.

With ten years of WoW clones failing hard, I just don't get the decision. Even by the time WS first started development, it was clear that trying to clone WoW was a recipe for disaster. Did they think that somehow the problem was that the clones were not good enough clones and that was the problem?

Want to know more about GW2 and why there is so much buzz? Start here: Guild Wars 2 Mass Info for the Uninitiated

• kidaharukidaharu Member Posts: 2
    Originally posted by fiontar

If Wildstar had actually looked like the first trailers, which actually looked like early Pixar films, I would have been happy. However, it does look like WoW in Space, which isn't a good thing 10 years after WoW.

There is a big reason why it looks so much like WoW. Not only are many key developers former Blizzard devs, but the Art Director came from WoW. Several months ago, there were a series of official screenshots that looked so much like they could have been from WoW it was uncanny. The texture style was identical to the WoW "signature look".

I think they've tried to differentiate a bit more since, but they aren't going to scrap years worth of texture work because of the backlash.

So, yeah, if the game had actually ended up looking like an earlier Pixar film, that would have been killer, but it does look too much like WoW and for many of us, if we wanted WoW, we'd just go back to WoW.

They might still make up for it in game play, but most people are highly visual and if they don't like the look of a game, it's hard to even get the chance to try to win them over on game play.

With ten years of WoW clones failing hard, I just don't get the decision. Even by the time WS first started development, it was clear that trying to clone WoW was a recipe for disaster. Did they think that somehow the problem was that the clones were not good enough clones and that was the problem?

the first trailers you looked are in-game graphics..now..surprised?

zoom in characters.. more!

and WOD is developing the warplot. wildstar already has the warplot. if so, wow is wildstar clon?

WOD is developing the housing system. wildstar already has that. if so, wow is wildstar clon?

• aymanzoneaymanzone Member UncommonPosts: 35
    40 man raids? Epic feel? No nerfing nonsense? Fuck the casual criers who can't see all pve raid content? I'm in!!!
  • MamasGunMamasGun Member Posts: 152

"Why not play WoW?"  "Just go back to WoW."  "WoW did it first, and WoW did it better!" "This game is a clone of WoW!"  "WoW has stylized realism, Wildstar has Cartoon Graphics."  "Mists of Pandaria isn't about Pandas... it's about war."

I can tell Wildstar has the WoW community nervous.  They can hide behind the "W* is WoW 2.0= fail" logic, but I know they are upset at Wildstar.  How?  EVERY WILDSTAR POST HAS WOW PEOPLE LITTERING IT WITH COMMENTS LIKE I MENTIONED ABOVE.

Not just that, but the past couple of WoW updates I've read (both from 3rd party sites and WoW's own forum) have had comments talking about Wildstar, not even WoW. 

So, just being a fly on the wall, and observing all of the things WoW players are -desperately- trying to say about Wildstar lets me know- Wildstar is doing something right.  If you can have a community so up in arms over your game that they only discuss your game being like their game, and not even discussing their own game, then you're on the right path.

I say all of this to say- If you like WoW, you like WoW.  A lot of people thought WoW was boring.  I've tried WoW multiple times and have never ever been able to get into it- between the cartoony graphics not looking as good as they could to the combat system not holding up to todays fast-paced standards, WoW has always been a letdown for me.  But if you like it- good for you, you have your game already, and have for 10 years.  However, some people have been waiting for a game like Wildstar- and it's finally here. 

Wildstar Day 1 purchase+lifetime sub for me and my partner- something I've never done for an MMO, but am eager to do for Wildstar!

Loves: SMITE, WildStar, Project Zomboid, PSO2, DCUO,

Worst Online Communities: WoW/WoD(the OG MMO Trolls), DayZ/WarZ, SMITE/LoL/DOTA, EVE Online, APB
    "I’m ready for
    All the comparisons
    I think it’s dumb and it’s embarrassing
    I’m switching off
    No longer listening
    I’ve had enough of persecution and conditioning
    Maybe it’s instinct- We’re only animal"
    - Lily Allen, Sheezus

• SeasonedSeasoned Member Posts: 1

absolutely set a record for the fastest unstall in my entire life. if I were to use a phrase to explain it, WoW and Tera meet one day got married and had a child named WildStar. boring questing typical grind, PVP is sub par, Graphics don't exist, if I had a 5 year old in charge of graphics this is what the end product would be. Just another over hyped MMO with nothing new to offer a typical cash grab.

• popezaphodpopezaphod Member UncommonPosts: 58
    Looking forward to trying WildStar.  No desire to play World of Pandas.