Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

TESO: The bad and the good.

The bad parts about TESO:
  • Fighter's Guild and Mage's Guild quests AND characters are THE SAME for ALL the factions! Honestly, that is repulsive!
  • So, so much copypasta quest design up towards 15
  • PvP zone's objectives are 100% symmetrical, making it gamey and non-immersive, and it has NO connection to the PvE world what so ever.
  • Everything is conservative: potions are shit, selling stuff to vendors gives you shit cash, mounts cost two kidneys and your brain stem, combat is generic and underdeveloped, skill branching rarely has an actual impact on combat performance, graphics are safe "for the lowest common denominator" BS, Tara Strong voice acts like EVERY. SINGLE. FEMALE. NPC. and grouping sucks and most of the time a group of two people will have to do everything twice anyway. NERF FUN!
  • Dungeons are weak excuses for group content, they're just a series of rooms with idiot mobs standing bunched together and the final boss doesn't take any effort at all and barely even has two mechanics.
  • World design is about making players waste time running around rocks rather than actually make it authentic.
  • The writing is sickeningly cliché. The overarching plot is actually so vapid I am convinced it was written by a spider that fell into an inkwell.
  • Voice acting in the Morrowind parts of the game makes me want to punch this game's designers. Under NO circumstances should an Ashlander speak in a soft voice with an old English accent!!
  • At least 4 broken quests plagued each of my characters across two factions. Beta excuse is running thin with a month left.
The good things about this game:
  • Crafting is well thought out, though if you are an altoholic prepare to be pissed off as the character learns the recipes, not the player (more time wasting BS)
  • Exploring is well rewarded, with lots of nodes to find and rune displays, which I must admit tends to get me excited.
  • Music is okay, but not as good as canon Elder Scrolls games. Manages to have its own identity.
  • A very small number of areas are rather well made. Though off the top of my head I can only think of Daggerfall.
  • Makes me appreciate (but too late) just how good Warhammer Online really was.

TL;DR: The most cynical, plastic and soulless MMO I've played, except for Tera.

Based on game play up until level 14 on Ebonheart Pact and Daggerfall Covenant.

Comments

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    Originally posted by Cantorage
    • Fighter's Guild and Mage's Guild quests AND characters are THE SAME for ALL the factions! Honestly, that is repulsive!   There might be a reason behind this....  but since its not really a game for alts, i guess i can live with it
    • So, so much copypasta quest design up towards 15  Didnt see it or notice it
    • PvP zone's objectives are 100% symmetrical, making it gamey and non-immersive, and it has NO connection to the PvE world what so ever. Thats your opinion, i really loved this PvP game, for me its a break from the well done stories in PvE, and it works rather refreshing..  And the symetrical part is obviously done for ballance reasons, but very well hidden by the scenery and landscapes.. its only visible on the map
    • Everything is conservative: potions are shit, selling stuff to vendors gives you shit cash, mounts cost two kidneys and your brain stem, combat is generic and underdeveloped, skill branching rarely has an actual impact on combat performance, graphics are safe "for the lowest common denominator" BS, Tara Strong voice acts like EVERY. SINGLE. FEMALE. NPC. and grouping sucks and most of the time a group of two people will have to do everything twice anyway. NERF FUN!  This is mostly stuff i like about the game
    • Dungeons are weak excuses for group content, they're just a series of rooms with idiot mobs standing bunched together and the final boss doesn't take any effort at all and barely even has two mechanics.Tell me something new about dungeons in MMO´s
    • World design is about making players waste time running around rocks rather than actually make it authentic. WoW, did you ever play an MMO you liked?
    • The writing is sickeningly cliché. The overarching plot is actually so vapid I am convinced it was written by a spider that fell into an inkwell. There are some cliches, there are some refreshing things
    • Voice acting in the Morrowind parts of the game makes me want to punch this game's designers. Under NO circumstances should an Ashlander speak in a soft voice with an old English accent!! Opinions opinionsopinions to which i disagree
    • At least 4 broken quests plagued each of my characters across two factions. Beta excuse is running thin with a month left. It was a 3 month old build, meant for testing the servers, what else did you expect, bugs thgat where there miraculously disapearing
    • Crafting is well thought out, though if you are an altoholic prepare to be pissed off as the character learns the recipes, not the player (more time wasting BS)
    • Exploring is well rewarded, with lots of nodes to find and rune displays, which I must admit tends to get me excited.
    • Music is okay, but not as good as canon Elder Scrolls games. Manages to have its own identity.
    • A very small number of areas are rather well made. Though off the top of my head I can only think of Daggerfall. Its the best looking MMO  created..

You are allowed an opinion, but thats just it an opinion, to which i dont agree..

Makes me wonder what MMo´s you did like and for what reasons? 

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• whisperwyndwhisperwynd Member UncommonPosts: 1,668
     The Good, the Bad, and this right here....is the Ugly.
  • Castielle101Castielle101 Member CommonPosts: 81

I enjoyed the beta this weekend and so far have enjoyed ESO.  That said, it feels badly mislabeled as an MMO.  If your sole definition of an MMO is lot's of people playing online, then I guess it qualifies, but most MMOs have people working together to accomplish things, and ESO seems more about exploration and branching out on your own.  I must admit I really enjoy this.  Feels like a breath of fresh air from other MMOs, however, I can understand when people are disappointed because it lacks MMO features just about every other MMO has.  If you can start looking at it as just another game to play that you happen to be able to play with friends if you wish and can overlook the subscription then I think you will enjoy this game.  If you can't, then you will just see it as another run of the mill MMO.

Cas

Join the fan-powered community wiki for Elder Scrolls Online.
    http://elderscrollsonline.wiki.fextralife.com/Elder+Scrolls+Online+Wiki

• muffins89muffins89 Member UncommonPosts: 1,585

I agree with you on the world design. Glenumbra was a nightmare to navigate.

• Redhawk2006Redhawk2006 Member Posts: 105
    Originally posted by muffins89

I love how they allegedly took the mini-map away to encourage exploration, then put impassable cliffs, ravines and rocks all over the place so you have to take the long way to get anywhere unless you stick to the roads. Exploring often just gets you stuck somewhere having to backtrack or pay exorbitant Wayshrine fees to get back.

• Redhawk2006Redhawk2006 Member Posts: 105
    Originally posted by Lord.Bachus
    • Fighter's Guild and Mage's Guild quests AND characters are THE SAME for ALL the factions! Honestly, that is repulsive!   There might be a reason behind this....  but since its not really a game for alts, i guess i can live with it
    • PvP zone's objectives are 100% symmetrical, making it gamey and non-immersive, and it has NO connection to the PvE world what so ever. Thats your opinion, i really loved this PvP game, for me its a break from the well done stories in PvE, and it works rather refreshing..  And the symetrical part is obviously done for ballance reasons, but very well hidden by the scenery and landscapes.. its only visible on the map
    • Everything is conservative: potions are shit, selling stuff to vendors gives you shit cash, mounts cost two kidneys and your brain stem, combat is generic and underdeveloped, skill branching rarely has an actual impact on combat performance, graphics are safe "for the lowest common denominator" BS, Tara Strong voice acts like EVERY. SINGLE. FEMALE. NPC. and grouping sucks and most of the time a group of two people will have to do everything twice anyway. NERF FUN!  This is mostly stuff i like about the game
    • Dungeons are weak excuses for group content, they're just a series of rooms with idiot mobs standing bunched together and the final boss doesn't take any effort at all and barely even has two mechanics.Tell me something new about dungeons in MMO´s
    • World design is about making players waste time running around rocks rather than actually make it authentic. WoW, did you ever play an MMO you liked?
    • The writing is sickeningly cliché. The overarching plot is actually so vapid I am convinced it was written by a spider that fell into an inkwell. There are some cliches, there are some refreshing things
    • Voice acting in the Morrowind parts of the game makes me want to punch this game's designers. Under NO circumstances should an Ashlander speak in a soft voice with an old English accent!! Opinions opinionsopinions to which i disagree
    • At least 4 broken quests plagued each of my characters across two factions. Beta excuse is running thin with a month left. It was a 3 month old build, meant for testing the servers, what else did you expect, bugs thgat where there miraculously disapearing
    • A very small number of areas are rather well made. Though off the top of my head I can only think of Daggerfall. Its the best looking MMO  created..

You are allowed an opinion, but thats just it an opinion, to which i dont agree..

Thanks for expressing your  "opinion, opinion, opinion" of his opinion. There is no more devastating rebuttal of someone's opinion than to call it an opinion, which is why we have a mob of people here reminding us hourly that every opinion of this game other than positive opinions is just an opinion.

• SpawnbladeSpawnblade Member UncommonPosts: 204
    Originally posted by Redhawk2006
    Originally posted by muffins89

I love how they allegedly took the mini-map away to encourage exploration, then put impassable cliffs, ravines and rocks all over the place so you have to take the long way to get anywhere unless you stick to the roads. Exploring often just gets you stuck somewhere having to backtrack or pay exorbitant Wayshrine fees to get back.

What is... 'M'.

• BladorthinBladorthin Member UncommonPosts: 27

While I agree with a couple of your bars, I don't agree with them all, and I can list , and more good things….

The questing experience I encountered was typical of previous TES games and in my opinion very good. I am sorry you don't find it to your liking, and if you have gotten to level 14 and find the quests unimaginative, I suspect that this just ins't the game for you.

I felt that the voice acting was excellent, although some voices seem to be overused (seems to be pretty common in MMOs).

The PvP is the best in any game I have played to date, and that includes Dark Ages of Camelot. 

The graphics are fantastic...

I am very glad I pre-ordered the game and expect to be visiting Tamriel quite a bit over the coming months. If you are looking for an MMO with a different feel, you might try Wildstar. I had trouble playing it for the hour I did, but I suspect that some players may prefer it. No game can please everyone, and the MMO industry is big enough that you will be able to find the right game for you.

• kueykuey Member UncommonPosts: 39

Many of those bad points are common denominators in the MMO scene (particularly easy dungeons, copy paste quests, cliches) the only thing that frustrated me about ESO, more so than other games, was how solo-oriented the game is outside of PvP. It may be an AvA game but doesn't mean they had to make content outside of PvP so solo heavy. Hell, there are some quests out there where you wish other people would just clear off so you don't have to compete with them over quest objectives.

Mind you this is all based upon a Beta which had level restrictions. Content further down the line may become more challenging and group oriented as it's quite often that games make earlier areas a little easier to ease people into the game. Though I fully expect the cliches to continue (you'll never escape the good old cliche in MMOs as most of their focus goes into enhancing game longevity which is generally found in combat and end-game), and as for the voice acting, compared to some other games it's generally very good.

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,963

Funny how many people say that.

The game was seriously flawed when it was released. But with some more work invested it could be great.

• Hal9kHal9k Member UncommonPosts: 38
    Originally posted by Lobotomist

Funny how many people say that.

The game was seriously flawed when it was released. But with some more work invested it could be great.

It was great, at the end. But by that time the bad reputation carried from launch era was SO bad, it stuck forever. I tried it after it had been out for a few years, and the biggest downside was the population. It was really quite good, not just RvR but a very rich PvE experience too. Sadly, the diehards that comprised the population in it's later years were almost exclusively PvPers, but I went through an entire faction's PvE and it was great. I get why the game died, but it's always a shame when an entire virtual universe winks out of existence.

• MsPtibiscuitMsPtibiscuit Member Posts: 164

Goods:

• Questing is nice and well written
    • Skill system is nice, while there could have added more mechanics, like mana stealing or interrupting spells (But I've been playing Guild Wars for 6 years, so I'm demanding when it comes to LAS :p )
    • RvR is somewhat fun, as someone who have never enjoyed this type of PvP, I liked it.
    • Dungeons, while linear, were fun and was a bit challenging
    • The exploration is rewarding and fun, elite zones are a great system that reminds me of WoW Vanilla, and I like that. Special workstations too

Bads:

• It's solo, solo and re-solo. A friend told me that "ESO is a modern MMO, aka a MMO for people who don't like MMOs and want to play solo". It's extreme, but the idea is here.
    • Crafting is a bit automatic (No special recipe or what, you know, at level 10, how and what you'll be crafting for the rest of the levelling) and again, it is made for solo; everybody can do the jobs they need (Keeping 2 or 3 jobs isn't hard and doesn't cost you a lot of skillpoints) and you never need items from other professions.
    • RvR is instanced, cut from the PvE zones and has no impact in PvE.

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135

While the OP is right about some of the things, I just have to LOL at them overall.

ESO uses world reknown actors to do their voice acting. MMORPG.com forums - 'voice acting is completely garbage'. I mean, hell, they even have frikkin' dumbledor doing some of the voices. I guess some people are just never happy.

The writing, as well, is overall some of the best I've seen in an MMO. Doesn't stop people from skipping 90% of it, but that doesn't make it bad.

PvP being symmetrical? Yes and no. The keeps are (on paper, at least). This is, of course, not taking into account the differences in layout / terrain. From top-down (map perspective), they are indeed symmetrical, though. However, all the other objectives in the map are fairly asymmetrical. Thus adding depth, and a more 'natural' feeling to the map. However, this is probably the most 'valid' complaint the OP actually makes.

Literally everything else just comes across to me like whinning for the sake of whinning. It basically reads like 'all the features are garbage, because I don't like them'.

Game definitely has flaws, but the more they tweak the game, the more it seems to me like some people are just grasping at reasons to hate.

• keithiankeithian Member UncommonPosts: 3,191

whenever I put certain posters here on the spot that barrage the forums with generalizations and ask "so what MMO has that golden feature you love so I can understand where the gap is", they never answer. Its easy to give a generic opinion but not give any example of what game they are playing is any better. I'd have more respect if they said I don't like any MMOs and am playing a PS4 instead.

There Is Always Hope!

• Ender4Ender4 Member UncommonPosts: 2,247

I do not disagree with your post. You forgot how underwhelming the combat is in general though.

• PyatraPyatra Member Posts: 644

So this is all I can think of when I read the OP.

• SequiturSequitur Member Posts: 4
    These problems will amplify on launch day and thereafter. Game is in trouble, this most recent broken beta only confirms they need to delay the launch.
  • PyatraPyatra Member Posts: 644
    Originally posted by Sequitur
    These problems will amplify on launch day and thereafter. Game is in trouble, this most recent broken beta only confirms they need to delay the launch.

We only got the 3 month old version for stability also, they consolidated the EU and NA people onto one server.  For running at 2x capacity it did really well.

• CantorageCantorage Member Posts: 186
    Originally posted by Pyatra

We only got the 3 month old version for stability also, they consolidated the EU and NA people onto one server.  For running at 2x capacity it did really well.

How is that an excuse? What were they thinking?

"So since MMO gamers are idiots with poor taste and low standards, we're going to give them a 3 month old build with a UI coded on my Casio, because let's face it, 90% of those idiots will buy it anyway because of Stockholm syndrome"

• simsalabim77simsalabim77 Member RarePosts: 1,607

Thanks for expressing your  "opinion, opinion, opinion" of his opinion. There is no more devastating rebuttal of someone's opinion than to call it an opinion, which is why we have a mob of people here reminding us hourly that every opinion of this game other than positive opinions is just an opinion.

I think every single post on this site should have a giant disclaimer at the top stating, "THIS IS MY OPINION." 

• jazz.bejazz.be Member UncommonPosts: 962
    Originally posted by Pyatra

How is that an excuse? What were they thinking?

"So since MMO gamers are idiots with poor taste and low standards, we're going to give them a 3 month old build with a UI coded on my Casio, because let's face it, 90% of those idiots will buy it anyway because of Stockholm syndrome"

Coded on your Casio, hehe that's a good one, I have to remember that one :)

But seriously, why all the drama? Even if your experience in BETA was 100% polished, would it mean the whole game is polished? Probably not.

I'd rather have the essentials right (immersion, crafting, zone designs etc) with a few bugs, than the other way around. But that's just me.

As far as you and me are concerned, if we like the gameplay, we should buy it. Bugs and stability is really not something we should care about....YET. At least not if they're so minor. And they are quite minor right now. You make it look worse than it is.

• Soki123Soki123 Member RarePosts: 2,558
    To me, simply the game feels amateur. That's the only word/words I can come up for it.
  • BuddyDudeBuddyDude Member UncommonPosts: 52

this,  unless it is a good opinion (then it becomes a review) the white knights will simply dismiss it as opinion, with their opinion. 

"Bah this sucks it is just an opinion!" 

• BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465

For MMO fans, TESO is an "average game" that many have played before with the same linear mechanics (again) for a top premium price.

For ES fans, TESO delivers a lesser ES experience, certainly than Skyrim, and dare I say than Oblivion. All for  top premium price and sub.

So who are they aiming this thing at?

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937
    Originally posted by Burntvet

For MMO fans, TESO is an "average game" that many have played before with the same linear mechanics (again) for a top premium price.

For ES fans, TESO delivers a lesser ES experience, certainly than Skyrim, and dare I say than Oblivion. All for  top premium price and sub.

So who are they aiming this thing at?

Originally, we were told that they wanted to make an mmo but set in the Elder Scrolls Universe. Then there was a slip of the tongue where One of the head developers said it was essentially "skyrim online". My thought is that there was some backlash and they didn't want to alienate the legions of elder scrolls fans as they were the "known quantity" who might have interest in the game because of its origins. So the latter was said.

Players have, at times, suggested that they wanted to make a RvR game and just used the Elder Scrolls world as a viable and already fleshed out place to set their game.

My sense is they "thought too much" and really did want to make an Elder Scrolls mmo to reach out to mmo world and didn't realize the backlash and negative opinion that louder Elder Scrolls fans might have. They "thought" that it would be enough to be set in the Elder Scrolls world and they were very much invested in the RvR portion and "thought" that they could ride out the bad feelings/opinions that might be said.

I think they "thought" wrong and though I don't agree with everything that the OP said (or think some of it doesn't matter) it does seem that walking this tight rope might have been too much.

There's a lot of good in the game and a lot of fun to be had if one can let themselves have that fun. But I can easily see your first two lines as having quite a bit of weight in the truth column.

Expectations are a hard thing to manage and I"m not sure they are up to it.

yesterday, after playing about an hour in ESO and enjoying myself, I went to skyrim and put in 2 hours and admittedly had a better time of it as that is my preferred style of game. Open world, head out, find places to explore.  AS opposed to "somewhat open world, head  out, find quests that are short.

Like I said, I enjoy ESO but I suppose I'm in the corner of people who wanted Morrowind/Oblvion/Skyrim online.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo