Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do you think ESO will eventually give in to the F2P or B2P model?

Comments

• AeonbladesAeonblades Member Posts: 2,083

If they do, it won't be any time soon. If the stress test this weekend for an old build that doesn't have the experience changes/ crafting changes/ collision detection is any indication, the game is going to be a resounding success as for every person that did not enjoy the beta there were dozens to take their place. I met a lot of people who were upset they could only play this weekend as they were already addicted.

Down the line in a few years it may go B2P, but I wouldn't worry about the game becoming the crap fest that is B2P/F2P gaming any time soon.

Currently Playing: ESO and FFXIV
    Have played: You name it
    If you mention rose tinted glasses, you better be referring to Mitch Hedberg.

• Soki123Soki123 Member RarePosts: 2,558
    Originally posted by Aeonblades

If they do, it won't be any time soon. If the stress test this weekend for an old build that doesn't have the experience changes/ crafting changes/ collision detection is any indication, the game is going to be a resounding success as for every person that did not enjoy the beta there were dozens to take their place. I met a lot of people who were upset they could only play this weekend as they were already addicted.

Down the line in a few years it may go B2P, but I wouldn't worry about the game becoming the crap fest that is B2P/F2P gaming any time soon.

You have repeatedly said for every 1 person that doesn t like it, dozens will. Really, you seriously think that? Of my guild I ve gamed with for years, 100 people, I think 5 are going to buy it. Im sure Im not the only case like this. If it happens to be the case, I guess we finally found the WoW killer. This I highly doubt though.

Originally posted by Soki123

You have repeatedly said for every 1 person that doesn t like it, dozens will. Really, you seriously think that? Of my guild I ve gamed with for years, 100 people, I think 5 are going to buy it. Im sure Im not the only case like this. If it happens to be the case, I guess we finally found the WoW killer. This I highly doubt though.

I know it for a fact. The tiny representation of your small guild vs fans of the MMO genre and fans of the TESO franchise is miniscule to the point where it really doesn't matter. For every 1 person that does not enjoy the game, several more will. All the people complaining on gaming websites like this is a tiny fraction. There are what, maybe 5000 users that post here every day? It's such an insignificant amount to take anything anyone here says seriously.

People on gaming websites do nothing but trash talk WoW constantly, and yet it remains a resounding success. Why? Because the small portion of people whining on forums makes up said tiny fraction of players.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,001
    Originally posted by Iselin

I mean, shit... I either want to play a game or not. If I don't, no amount of financial model changing will ever get me to play it :)

If I do want to play it the only thing that would make me pause and think is if the game is "free" to play, do I have the ability to put-up with their immersion-breaking intrusive marketing with all their "blue light special!" shit.

This is the same for me.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

ESO will be the only major MMO available on consoles.... a new market.... a fresh game for many.... everyone is underestimating the number of console players that will fall for the game and so, it will be a game of wowish proportions on the consoles..

This will keep the game a subscription game for much much longer.

The PC release is only the pre release of the console version... we will be the bughunters and when released on consoles, the game will be of perfect proportions...

Hmm. XBox1 and PS4 only though. Limited market - especially factoring in geography. And the fact that some of us have both. And the Xbox live issue as well.

And there will be competition. Titanfall this month on XBox1, PC and 360. Not an mmo .... well its online, multiplayer only, over-arching individual story, character advancement .... I won't argue it is but ... it looks pretty and plays well .... a good home whilst ESO works out its bugs!

And if Destiny hits is September launch date ... well Bungie may not want the mmo label just like Zenimax have tried to define TESO as "not a traditional mmo" but Destiny will launch just about when console players who opted to try ESO might be getting bored. That 3-4 month in point.

Agree there is added potential, don't see it as that great though.

I know it for a fact. The tiny representation of your small guild vs fans of the MMO genre and fans of the TESO franchise is miniscule to the point where it really doesn't matter. For every 1 person that does not enjoy the game, several more will. All the people complaining on gaming websites like this is a tiny fraction. There are what, maybe 5000 users that post here every day? It's such an insignificant amount to take anything anyone here says seriously.

People on gaming websites do nothing but trash talk WoW constantly, and yet it remains a resounding success. Why? Because the small portion of people whining on forums makes up said tiny fraction of players.

I agree that it s a vocal minority, but that doesn t make it fact, that TES fans will ever embrace the MMO idea behind it. I can tell you I ve met more TES fans that don t want an online version of it, as it can t properly adapt that feel of the game. I can definitely agree with this. Just because you say for every 1 person that doesn t like it,  a dozen will doesn t make it fact. Besides of all the  MMO gamers out there, I highly doubt of evey 13 MMO gamers 12 will stick with it. That's just a number that can t be achieved.

• Jagwar_FangJagwar_Fang Member UncommonPosts: 264
    Originally posted by a6point6

Don't think so. Everyone i know loves the game. But i think after some time they will have to allow "trials" and a lower subscription fee.

But if they keep the promise with content and keep developing on the player base requirement. Sure but with lower subfee.

They already shown they are fast at taking critic from players and enough is against a thing they fix it.

Lower Sub amount?  You do realize that $15 a month has been the standard for a long time.  There is no need to lower it IMO.  They could go F2P because that brings in more $$$ but I hope not.

I agree that it s a vocal minority, but that doesn t make it fact, that TES fans will ever embrace the MMO idea behind it. I can tell you I ve met more TES fans that don t want an online version of it, as it can t properly adapt that feel of the game. I can definitely agree with this. Just because you say for every 1 person that doesn t like it,  a dozen will doesn t make it fact. Besides of all the  MMO gamers out there, I highly doubt of evey 13 MMO gamers 12 will stick with it. That's just a number that can t be achieved.

Fair enough, make it whatever number makes you feel comfortable. I can begrudgingly agree that you may be right that my dozens comment may not be accurate, but it is accurate for WoW, I don't see why it can't be accurate for TES franchise seeing as it has just as large a following as Warcraft has had over the years.

Time will tell whether or not we are right about this anyway, my point being, people that are looking forward to the game aren't going to be coming onto forums to talk about, they are going to be playing it.

Personally, my friends and I have been waiting for an online TES game since Morrowind, but you are correct in saying it won't be everyone's cup of tea.

I appreciate the well thought out responses btw!

• RusqueRusque Member RarePosts: 2,785

How about, we (gamers) worry about playing games we find fun, and they (game companies) worry about their pricing models and sustainability of their game?

If ESO can't maintain itself with its sub base, then it will go F2P. But that will simultaneously mean that it wasn't really worth playing in the first place if it couldn't hold people's interest. And I'm saying that as someone who has pre-ordered and will be subbing, If sometime within the first 3 months it turns out that I've lost interest so be it. I'll have had my fun and I'll move on.

Fair enough, make it whatever number makes you feel comfortable. I can begrudgingly agree that you may be right that my dozens comment may not be accurate, but it is accurate for WoW, I don't see why it can't be accurate for TES franchise seeing as it has just as large a following as Warcraft has had over the years.

Time will tell whether or not we are right about this anyway, my point being, people that are looking forward to the game aren't going to be coming onto forums to talk about, they are going to be playing it.

Personally, my friends and I have been waiting for an online TES game since Morrowind, but you are correct in saying it won't be everyone's cup of tea.

I appreciate the well thought out responses btw!

Ya, it s not that it can t happen, but I just see WoW as a never again thing happening. Why, because the market is just too saturated, and games seem to lack the lasting power they once had. I enjoyed my time in TESO beta, but logged out after the last beta weekend and realized I like a couple games better. I wish it was my cup of tea, but just isn t:(

• thinktank001thinktank001 Member UncommonPosts: 2,144
    Originally posted by Kattycake

Just gonna keep this short;

A lot of people, so I've seen/heard from, believe that ESO will turn into what SWTOR once did. TERA switched, The Secret World switched, Rift...etc.

Do you think dishing $15/mo will be a bit much to some players? I mean even ArcheAge in RU Beta is $9/mo for premium.

If the subscriber numbers start to dip below 250k, then it may very well switch over to a microtransaction model.   At that point most publishers are just looking for that 2nd cash infusion before they put it into maintenance mode until shutting the game down.  The problem is that microtransaction models are just not viable in the west, at least there has not been one that has gained consumer approval. 

• squalleonahasqualleonaha Member Posts: 211

Huge fan base  + huge money investment = no to F2P or B2P.

there are rich people and farmer who will feed it.

just look at SWTOR, it'll live off the fans base untill it get back all the invested money + interest. might take years or maybe never happen and just shutdown like ....Warhammer online.

• ZinzanZinzan Member UncommonPosts: 1,351

It's fundimentally unsustainable as a box price game with a subs fee and a cash shop (let alone the pre-order content lock-out paywall).

TESO will go F2P at some point or will struggle to survive with a tiny subs base, this is inevitable. The modern MMORPG market is saturated to breaking point, on release they will get an incredible amount of players which will dwindle to almost nothing within 6 months once players have consumed all the content like locusts and moved on to the next feast.

This is the fundimental flaw of linear, themepark MMO's, once the content is gone all that is left is the end game and if the PvP/Raiding is not utterly amazing, the game fails.

People must realise this is the model, cash-in as much as possible at launch, pre-orders, cash-shop, subs fee's because once the rollercoaster grinds to a halt, the ride is over and everyone moves onto the next one.

Expresso gave me a Hearthstone beta key.....I'm so happy :)

• CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    Originally posted by yaminsux

I wouldnt want ESO to be B2P/F2P.

One Reason:

Keeps whiny players out. I'll pay for that....seriously.

OMG! Really? Did you even see the threads when WoW launched their Instant Level 90 Boost microtransaction? 

Subscription players whine waaaaaaaaay more than F2P players. Sorry, that's just a fact. I've never seen more people saying that they're leaving a game, or entitled bullshit about how their whole time spent in a 10 year-old game is now somehow depreciated to a value of $60 like a bunch of cry babies. 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• CazNeergCazNeerg Member Posts: 2,198

Originally posted by tet666

Dream on...

There are a lot of good reasons old MMOs like DAOC stayed P2P so far none of them apply to newer (and way more expensive to develope) MMOs like ESO.

The main reason being that at the time it released, all games had subs.  ESO is a more fully developed game than DAOC was, by a fair margin.  When it eventually adds a free option, it will be because the market has changed, not because of any trait of the game.

Originally posted by arieste

Sure.  Eventually it will.  But there is plenty of worhthile fun to be had in the game before then.  To me, it's $50 for a month of play.  Whatever happens after, i'll cross that bridge when i get there (if i get there).

And there will be plenty of worthwhile fun to be had in the game after that.  If you stay subscribed to a game after it adds a free option it tends to be the case in most games that your experience doesn't change much, if at all.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
    Through passion, I gain strength.
    Through strength, I gain power.
    Through power, I gain victory.
    Through victory, my chains are broken.
    The Force shall free me.

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Originally posted by CrazKanuk

One Reason:

OMG! Really? Did you even see the threads when WoW launched their Instant Level 90 Boost microtransaction? 

Subscription players whine waaaaaaaaay more than F2P players. Sorry, that's just a fact. I've never seen more people saying that they're leaving a game, or entitled bullshit about how their whole time spent in a 10 year-old game is now somehow depreciated to a value of $60 like a bunch of cry babies. 

It's not that black and white.

There are whiners in all types of games. But what F2P games have more of is players who like to troll chat about how much the game sucks... it's a sport with some, just like it is here :)

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    Originally posted by Iselin
    Originally posted by CrazKanuk

One Reason:

It's not that black and white.

There are whiners in all types of games. But what F2P games have more of is players who like to troll chat about how much the game sucks... it's a sport with some, just like it is here :)

Lol, true, and that's probably just because they don't have the same sense of entitlement as someone who subscribes to a game who thinks that, somehow, their $15 is the straw that's going to break the camel's back :) You are NOT a beautiful and unique snowflake! Lol

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• NatjurNatjur Member UncommonPosts: 125

All MMO have a 'magic' number of subs they need to get to keep going forward and at this point in time, no one can tell if they will get that number. But based on pre-sales, its looking likely.

The secret world is a good game but only a small % of people were happy to pay for the sub, so they did not meet that 'magic' number and went FTP. It's too early to say if ESO will stay a sub game or not.

Wait 6 months, then it will be easy to tell or not. People need to see what the 'end game' is like to see if they will stay or not.

I am buying the game and will sub for at least 4 months and depending on the end game, longer.

• OziiusOziius Member UncommonPosts: 1,406
    Originally posted by DrunkWolf

Its a 100% fact that it will go free to play.

i would say after about a year.

It honestly should be free to play at launch

Well there ya go folks... thread over. It's %100 fact. 

• ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495

I personaly do not hope so.

But the thing is I think we have a much larger "I want it all and want it now prefered free crowd" that speak out louder then those who might accept a sub-fee.

So I can't say it will remain sub-based. But as said I do hope it will.

• AI724AI724 Member UncommonPosts: 249
    Count me in when it becomes B2P/F2P. I'm just gonna play Oblivion and Skyrim while waiting for that to happen :-)

• quixadhalquixadhal Member UncommonPosts: 215

Most of my friends agree with my assertion that the game is fun, but nothing new.. and not good enough to justify a full retail box price *AND* a subscription, especially with the unknown cash shop details hanging overhead.  I know one person who has said they have pre-ordered it, but they have a crazy level of disposable income and not much time, so they buy everything that comes out in the hopes it will be hold their attention for more than a few hours.

• PyatraPyatra Member Posts: 644
    Originally posted by quixadhal

Most of my friends agree with my assertion that the game is fun, but nothing new.. and not good enough to justify a full retail box price *AND* a subscription, especially with the unknown cash shop details hanging overhead.  I know one person who has said they have pre-ordered it, but they have a crazy level of disposable income and not much time, so they buy everything that comes out in the hopes it will be hold their attention for more than a few hours.

There will be no cash shop.  It has already been stated.

• CazNeergCazNeerg Member Posts: 2,198
    Originally posted by Pyatra

There will be no cash shop.  It has already been stated.

There will be no cash shop, at launch.  No matter how successful a game is, there is generally a lot of turnover in the development team post launch, and just because the group in charge now isn't planning on a cash shop or a free option doesn't mean the group in six months will share that view, or the group in two years.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
    Through passion, I gain strength.
    Through strength, I gain power.
    Through power, I gain victory.
    Through victory, my chains are broken.
    The Force shall free me.

• Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    I think it will go B2P/F2P with a subscription option.

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot