Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I just can't seem to find a game... I know I'm not the only one.

2»

Comments

• BoneserinoBoneserino Member UncommonPosts: 1,768
    Originally posted by aesperus
    Originally posted by fivetigers

It seems like every game I try falls into 1 of 2 categories, it's either a WoW clone (which I'm not a fan of) with maybe 1 or 2 novel features, but inherently the same as WoW, or an Indie game with tons of promising features but god awful implementation and gameplay.

I've tried tons of games and nothing can keep my attention for more than a few days (if even that much).  Everything is the same, either a WoW clone or a disappointment.  Maybe I'm not giving games enough time and I've overlooked something.

Either way, I'm fairly certain that what I'm looking for does not exist (yet), but I'd be willing to try something that even has half to most of these features.  So if you're reading this and any particular game comes to mind (I'd even be interested in single player games or console games) feel free to mention it.

·         Classless skill-based or multi-classing (think The Elder Scrolls 1-5, or D&D type character creation/progression)

·         BIG open world (no invisible borders, minimal use of instances, and go anywhere I want as long as I can survive there)

·         Nonlinear gameplay (not just hub to hub to hub… travel/exploration is encouraged)

·         Action combat (no tab targeting, have to manually aim/dodge/block, etc.)

·         Gear can be acquired through questing, crafting and looting (not all from 1 source)

·         Non-combat gameplay options (Trade (think trade routes and goods, not just player to player item exchange), Exploration, Construction)

·         Fantasy setting

·         PvP isn’t forced on you

You're not the only one.

However you guys all have the same problem. You're approaching games like a shopping list. Which is basically an indirect method of backseat designing a game. You're basically thinking of how you would make a game, without actually making one, and then looking for someone else to do that for you.

I'm not trying to imply that it's somehow practical for everyone w/ dreams of what would make the perfect MMO to go out, raise 10s / 100s of millions of dollars and create their own. However, it also illustrates just how unlikely it is for some other designer to do everything you'd like in a game, in a genre that is reliant on pleasing 100s of thousands, if not millions of players to survive.

You'd have much better luck, if you approached MMOs similar to how most people approach single-player / smaller-scale multiplayer games. Go with what looks interesting, and approach it like a new product. Don't approach each new MMO based on a pre-defined list of features you want to see. Doing so can ONLY lead to dissapointment. By comparing it to a shopping list of features you are setting the game up to fail (for you) before you even play it. Because instead of looking for features you like in the game, you're looking for features it does not have, and then judging it based on what you aren't finding. It's an inherently negative way to go into playing a new game.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying you should be content w/ WoW clones. And I too have my own wishlist of features I would love to see in an MMO. Heck, if I had the time & resources I'd probably be making my own. But I don't, and I can't, so I'm not going to expect others to do it for me.

Instead I approach each new MMO for what they are. I accept certain tradeoffs that are inherent to the genre (if you want more freedom / sandbox design, you're going to have to accept fundamentally different gameplay from a theme park, for example. Instancing / zoning is also inevitable, etc. etc.) I weigh the things I like about the game, with the things I don't like about the game, and then I come to a conclusion.

Am I having fun? Do I support what the game's trying to do?

- If the answer is yes to both, then I play the game. It's that simple. Even if it has flaws, I take note of those flaws, remember them, and go back to enjoying the game.

+1

Copy and paste this to every LFG thread.

I want a game that has Pandas, but is not like WoW!   Why can't I find this game ??

Good luck in your search OP.

FFA Nonconsentual Full Loot PvP ...You know you want it!!

• rockin_uforockin_ufo Member UncommonPosts: 378
    Check out Eldevin. It seriously hits all your points, don't dismiss it because it's a browser game. It has more depth then 90% of the new MMOs released.

Whenever i step outside, somebody claims to see the light
    It seems to me that all of us have lost our patience.
    'cause everyone thinks they're right,
    And nobody thinks that there just might
    Be more than one road to our final destination--

• KuuhnKuuhn Member Posts: 41

Final Fantasy XI 10 years ago.

I'll help chip in for the time machine. I kick myself every day for how much I took that game for granted. At the time I played it and enjoyed it.. but not I look back at the generally true experience it provided and miss many of those features that just aren't available in a lot of current games.

• hallucigenocidehallucigenocide Member RarePosts: 1,015

all i want is a damn sci-fi mmo that is'nt all about flying space ships and not half fantasy(looking at u swtor)

i wanna kill aliens and robots etc and not a bunch of humanoids and "space" versions of earth animals

I had fun once, it was terrible.

• fivetigersfivetigers Member UncommonPosts: 208
    Originally posted by hallucigenocide

all i want is a damn sci-fi mmo that is'nt all about flying space ships and not half fantasy(looking at u swtor)

i wanna kill aliens and robots etc and not a bunch of humanoids and "space" versions of earth animals

Have you tried Firefall?  It's fun, but last time I played it (6 months ago), there wasn't a ton of content.  Maybe they've added more now. 

Me

Her

• Mors.MagneMors.Magne Member UncommonPosts: 1,549

Perpetuum fits your description roughly - it might be the game for you.

• MindTriggerMindTrigger Member Posts: 2,596

I'm just sitting here waiting to try The Repopulation.  It ticks off the checkboxes I'm looking for, and if the game fosters emergent gameplay as it seems to, the players will be most of the content, as it should be.

I was stoked about Star Citizen, and still kind of am, but it's not going to be deep enough to replace the MMORPG experience I want.  In fact, the game's designed seems to be very confused about what it is going to be.  All we can do is wait and see.

A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.

• Mors.MagneMors.Magne Member UncommonPosts: 1,549

Elite: Dangerous fit's the OP's description exactly if we substitute the word 'fantasy' for 'sci fi'.

It's coming out soon.

• sakersaker Member RarePosts: 1,458

Originally posted by kinky10
    The promised land of mmo's sadly bud I don't think it exists.... :(  

Yup we're all desperately waiting on the coming of the MMO messiah. And probably about as similar a real likelihood.

• hallucigenocidehallucigenocide Member RarePosts: 1,015

Originally posted by fivetigers

Have you tried Firefall?  It's fun, but last time I played it (6 months ago), there wasn't a ton of content.  Maybe they've added more now. 

checked a video of it and it looked like a shooter and i'm pretty horrible at those =/

Originally posted by Mors.Magne

Perpetuum fits your description roughly - it might be the game for you.

it looked pretty cool but the controls was'nt to my liking

I had fun once, it was terrible.

• fivetigersfivetigers Member UncommonPosts: 208
    Originally posted by Mors.Magne

Elite: Dangerous fit's the OP's description exactly if we substitute the word 'fantasy' for 'sci fi'.

It's coming out soon.

I can't get over the whole "I'm a spaceship" thing, which is why I've been avoiding Eve, even though it has lots of what I'm looking for.  Which kind of sucks for me, but maybe I'll cave in and try them sometime.

Me

Her

• AsgrimAsgrim Member UncommonPosts: 92

Istaria meets every one of your points except for action combat. It's also completely F2P if you are fine with playing one human character and not owning any land. It's a great way to get a taste of the game.

But Istaria isn't perfect. It's an old game. It used to run like shit when it came out (called Horizons back then), but now that computers are much more powerful and the team has been tweaking it for years, it runs pretty smooth. Consistent dev updates and a very friendly tightknit community. You can play as a dragon, but I honestly wish there were more bipeds in the game. Anyway, I'd recommend the Chaos shard.

The only other game that comes close to meeting your requirements was already mentioned -- Asheron's Call.

• SquishydewSquishydew Member UncommonPosts: 1,107

I'd love to see a version of Darkfall or Mortal online that isn't crap and functions properly.

The idea is great, we just need an AAA company to execute it properly.