Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Bosscamping

Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

There was allways a group of people camping the bosses in the lower level open world instances...

I joined one of these groups and found out why..

I got green and blue drops every minute or so

I got a pile of gear, which cam in handy while crafting

It was the only way to keep your crafting skill on par with your level

Just demolishing the gear you found for the materials..

I think its another of those things that shows there needs to be done a lot of work to their instancing and phasing parts of the solo leveling content

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

Comments

• AzmodeusAzmodeus Member UncommonPosts: 268
    Sounds like EQ1 boss camping deep in dungeons.  I better get my name on the "lists" now.   JBOOTS!!   :)
      OMG I am Ancient!
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719

Lol yeah. Saw much more of that this weekend than any previous weekend...the kind of people they let in to beta weekends these days, Oy!

But like I said in another thread, all instances of players "gaming the system" are looked at and are part of the tweak cycle. With the type of player-instanced looting we have, it'll probably be a quick fix to get those bosses to stop dropping anything for you more than, say, once every 30 minutes.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• paul43paul43 Member UncommonPosts: 198

They have to fix the boss camping ofcourse, I camped too yesterday to get money to pay for repairs so I could do dungeons and to experiment with crafting. But there also was public dungeons that had working bosses that spawns every 10 minutes.

Bit of a problem in the public dungeons is that the bosses are all killable by a single player, so when there is 20-50 guys killing one boss, it dies incredible fast they probably should increase health/armor on the boss so it scales with the ammount of players in the area.

Just think when they fix it, and you wait 10 mins or whatever the time is to "clear" the dungeon and get achivment for it, and the boss die when you blink, or you sneeze or whatever.

• ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534
    Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

There was allways a group of people camping the bosses in the lower level open world instances...

I think its another of those things that shows there needs to be done a lot of work to their instancing and phasing parts of the solo leveling content

orly?

hm, never farmed a boss in ESO, yet my crafting skill always gave me usefull armor and weapons.

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    Originally posted by Thane

orly?

hm, never farmed a boss in ESO, yet my crafting skill always gave me usefull armor and weapons.

I suspect that people who do not want to spend time gathering materials from nodes will be "forced" to resort to other means to keep their crafting level matched to their adventuring level.

I often end up in the opposite situation, where I'm "forced" to level-up my adventuring, otherwise I can't advance my crafting any further...

• AsariashaAsariasha Member UncommonPosts: 252

Once the game goes live, such issues will most likely be gone. Always keep in mind that you are playing a beta that bottlenecks players at a certain level and guess what all these players are doing. Right, they farm stuff.

It could be a problem on later levels, but with further zones and zones of opposing factions opening up at max level, there should be enough possibilities to farm.

• ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534
    Originally posted by SpottyGekko

I suspect that people who do not want to spend time gathering materials from nodes will be "forced" to resort to other means to keep their crafting level matched to their adventuring level.

I often end up in the opposite situation, where I'm "forced" to level-up my adventuring, otherwise I can't advance my crafting any further...

and i guess that's where guilds come into play :)

through progression in your crafting tree you get like 1-3 servants giving you some recources per day (at least i saw that perk, havent tested em in beta), but i guess that's not really enough for real crafting in the end.

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    Originally posted by DMKano

Phasing can be exploited for farming like crazy in ESO - not going to go into details but it's pretty obvious on how to do it.

You can farm bosses - chests, whatever you want.

Another thing to note is that you can fix broken quests in the same way - in your current phase the quest mob is bugged - it's working just fine in the other 20+ phases. (it obviously won't fix quests that are universally bugged - those can only be fixed by Zenimax in their future patches)

Hint hint....

That's the beauty of mega-server tech - as you are playing ESO - it feels like one world to you - there are actually many copies of the same world running in the background - these are the phases - and there's LOTS of them.

(phase farming FTW or FTL???)

actually those are instances.... phases is where those instances are in a different part of the story/quest and have different content..... so actually they are in a different phase, the name is pretty selfexplanationary

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• free2playfree2play Member UncommonPosts: 2,043

And if you free the old guy in cold harbor and then log out a few times you can farm lock picks. The thing being, once the game launches you will see a decline in this sort of behavior.

Lock boxes like bosses provided a source of color coded gear. It was essential when trying to flesh out the crafting system because just farming ore or wood for 3 hours, taking it back to a station and making gear, then refining that gear didn't yield any pitch or anything needed to enhance gear.  Also the research system required looted gear.

The only thing I didn't try was when you right clicked gear, you could enchant. I never tried to make base gear, enchant it, then deconstruct it to see if I got the elusive enhancement parts. Recipes aside from the ones from cold harbor weren't in the game either. Not on noob Island anyway.

These are all things that won't impact the game though, once it's out of beta. People will find more efficient ways to level crafting once the game goes to launch. It has never been lucrative to farm 'trash' in the opening area of any game. Just something to get your feet wet with.

• hg2012hg2012 Member Posts: 69
    Originally posted by Thane

orly?

You only need your crafting at level 5 in order to unlock the perk that unlocks the next load of mats at level 15 (i.e. the metalwork perk to use steel). Bar that there's nothing stopping you crafting any gear within the perks level range, you can start crafting as late as level 14 and immediately craft a level 14 piece instead of having to craft useless level 1's then 2's then 3's... etc first. And even if you are above level 15 and yet to reach level 5 crafting you don't even have to craft to get your crafting skill up as extraction also boosts your crafting level... just mine a ton of ore to process or save all your junk for recycling.

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    Still hoping I will get into the game once beta is over.  Spent about 2-3 hours playing this beta and really didn't have much fun even though I treated the game like I would Skyrim or any other TES game.  Hoping it's because of beta and not having the will to level and progress knowing the character gets wiped soon.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• azarhalazarhal Member RarePosts: 1,402
    Instance boss camping has been in since last summer (when I joined beta).  They haven't changed anything to discourage it...
  • DrDwarfDrDwarf Member Posts: 475
    So how do we jump from phase to phase ? 
  • WaidenWaiden Member UncommonPosts: 500
    Originally posted by DrDwarf
    So how do we jump from phase to phase ? 

Relog ? :)

• RattenmannRattenmann Member UncommonPosts: 613

Wow, this sounds great.

Finally a game with boss camping again. Social experience in downtimes incoming! MAJOR positive point for ESO right there.

MMOs finally replaced social interaction, forced grouping and standing in a line while talking to eachother.

Now we have forced soloing, forced questing and everyone is the hero, without ever having to talk to anyone else. The evolution of multiplayer is here! We won,... right?

• DilweedDilweed Member UncommonPosts: 222

Just because you don't know any other way, doesn't mean there isn't another way.

I had plenty crafting materials without camping...

• TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,026

I found a boss like this too. I simply /bug reported it. Nothing else we can do.

Who knows if this still exists in current build.

You stay sassy!

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    Originally posted by azarhal
    Instance boss camping has been in since last summer (when I joined beta).  They haven't changed anything to discourage it...

Did they change any other things to the instancing/phasing system  based on player input....   Or  where there just not enough people testing to see the negatives of the system...    Solo stories having their immersion ruined... And groups just not working, either they end up in the wrong instance, or they all need to perform the actions required by the tests singlehandedly..

my biggest worry is that there where not enough testers around to detect the negatives of the system on overcrowded servers?

are thre any changes towards the system on the internal test servers?  Or are they planned?  Is it even discussed among the developers

• DilweedDilweed Member UncommonPosts: 222
    Originally posted by azarhal

Did they change any other things to the instancing/phasing system  based on player input....   Or  where there just not enough people testing to see the negatives of the system...    Solo stories having their immersion ruined... And groups just not working, either they end up in the wrong instance, or they all need to perform the actions required by the tests singlehandedly..

my biggest worry is that there where not enough testers around to detect the negatives of the system on overcrowded servers?

are thre any changes towards the system on the internal test servers?  Or are they planned?  Is it even discussed among the developers

Ofc it has been discussed, you can't program a mmo with only retards, you think you are the only one who thinks about stuff like this?

Also, I had 0 problems with phasing when I started quests with friends.

You might get into trouble if you are way ahead in the quest but that is like in every other mmo, you can't complete stage 2 if you haven't completed stage 1, otherwise you can just about skip every quest until last stage...