Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do you think ESO will eventually give in to the F2P or B2P model?

Just gonna keep this short;

A lot of people, so I've seen/heard from, believe that ESO will turn into what SWTOR once did. TERA switched, The Secret World switched, Rift...etc.

Do you think dishing $15/mo will be a bit much to some players? I mean even ArcheAge in RU Beta is $9/mo for premium.

xoxo

Comments

• KattycakeKattycake Member Posts: 37
    Originally posted by Robokapp

warhammer didn't...

it depends if the game's good or not. good games work under any payment model. bad games don't work under any payment model. 

Right :-P I mean from current beta impressions?

xoxo

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

It will not turn into B2P, B2P games launches like B2P, after that will almost all potential players already own a copy.

F2P is possible, it really depends on if the players support the game or not.

• rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870
    History has the tendency to repeat itself.  Why should this time be any different?

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

• KattycakeKattycake Member Posts: 37
    Originally posted by Loke666

It will not turn into B2P, B2P games launches like B2P, after that will almost all potential players already own a copy.

F2P is possible, it really depends on if the players support the game or not.

The Secret World is the only game I know of that was Subscription turned to B2P because Guild Wars 2 was their competition at the time (release dates were close together). I'm thinking F2P might happen if the hype drops.

xoxo

• a6point6a6point6 Member UncommonPosts: 44

Don't think so. Everyone i know loves the game. But i think after some time they will have to allow "trials" and a lower subscription fee.

But if they keep the promise with content and keep developing on the player base requirement. Sure but with lower subfee.

They already shown they are fast at taking critic from players and enough is against a thing they fix it.

• Castielle101Castielle101 Member CommonPosts: 81

I believe the game will go F2P.  ESO, while a great game seems more like an online RPG than an MMO.  It doesn't do anything that any other MMO doesn't do better.  What it does do is let you play ES with friends.  I don't think that's enough to warrant 15$ a month for long.

Cas

Join the fan-powered community wiki for Elder Scrolls Online.
    http://elderscrollsonline.wiki.fextralife.com/Elder+Scrolls+Online+Wiki

• whisperwyndwhisperwynd Member UncommonPosts: 1,668

It will or it won't. Those playing will be either pleased or depending on what the cash shop will then be forced to sell, won't be pleased at all.

Time will tell.

• laokokolaokoko Member UncommonPosts: 2,004
    I dont' think it really matters because some of the f2p games have so many limitations, most people will sill subscribe to it anyway.
  • NotimeforbsNotimeforbs Member CommonPosts: 346
    Originally posted by rodingo
    History has the tendency to repeat itself.  Why should this time be any different?

Because history repeating itself is only a tendency.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Yes, I believe at some point they will, when? I have no idea... I actually quite like the game, and based on what I've seen I'd probably sub long enough to get my fill ( again I have no idea how long that would be). Yet I still believe at some point the nature of  today's gamer will force the game into a F2P type of model. I think that's the fate of just about anything going with a sub these days.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• Mesk4Mesk4 Member UncommonPosts: 4
    the secret world system to me would be the best, b2p and micro transaction for DLC, but TSW was pretty much build for that with that issue system, on TESO it might not be that  great. I'm willing to pay subs as long as they keep their word and they give constant content update.
  • NotimeforbsNotimeforbs Member CommonPosts: 346
    Originally posted by Castielle101

I believe the game will go F2P.  ESO, while a great game seems more like an online RPG than an MMO.  It doesn't do anything that any other MMO doesn't do better.  What it does do is let you play ES with friends.  I don't think that's enough to warrant 15$ a month for long.

Cas

"Online RPG" vs "MMO"

First of all, I disagree - it definitely feels like an MMO.

Second of all... an MMO that feels more like an RPG... but with friends, instead of an MMO, is a good thing.  That's pretty much exactly what the idea of an MMO was always supposed to be in the first place.  Somewhere along the way... apparently, "MMO" changed to mean something else (by virture of the fact that I even have to point this out); started to suck; and adopted F2P to justify keeping people playing just to bring money in.

Having said all of that - I think it will remain Subscription.

• BatCakezBatCakez Member Posts: 127

Cas

Name another game that's like it. Please. I do insist.

Don't say Tera, or Wizardry, because that's still horizons off.

• BatCakezBatCakez Member Posts: 127
    Originally posted by Mesk4
    the secret world system to me would be the best, b2p and micro transaction for DLC, but TSW was pretty much build for that with that issue system, on TESO it might not be that  great. I'm willing to pay subs as long as they keep their word and they give constant content update.

TSW went B2P, because F2P probably wouldn't allow them to profit long enough in keeping the game up. Aside from that, the game definitely wasn't subscription material, and the next best thing their grubby little greedy hands could get ahold of, was B2P. If you think their system is the best, lord help us.

Also, GW2 started the B2P trend, not TSW.

• DrunkWolfDrunkWolf Member RarePosts: 1,701

Its a 100% fact that it will go free to play.

i would say after about a year.

It honestly should be free to play at launch

• CazNeergCazNeerg Member Posts: 2,198
    Every game will eventually reach a point where it's company feels like they aren't getting enough revenue from the subscription only model.  At that point, a given game will either shut down or adopt some kind of Freemium approach.  AAA games tend to reach that point more quickly than lower budget games, because it costs more to maintain their quality level with new content over time.  The successful games are the ones that go Freemium, while the failures skip straight to shutting down.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
    Through passion, I gain strength.
    Through strength, I gain power.
    Through power, I gain victory.
    Through victory, my chains are broken.
    The Force shall free me.

• I think it will go F2P, but not B2P. There's a lot of criticism and so far everyone I've sent a beta key to has been unimpressed (to say the least) by the game. I don't think it's that bad, but not good enough to play when there's so many games to play I can get more enjoyment out of.

• jdnycjdnyc Member UncommonPosts: 1,643

If they need to change business models, I see them doing what TSW did.

Go B2P.  Offer membership (re: subscription) or DLC ala carte.

I think they will fight this for some time though.  The game is coming out on PC/Mac, Xbox One, PS4.  There's a lot of mileage and opportunity to reach players.  A lot of people that decree the doom of ESO seem to forget about that part.

I'd be a little more worried about the PC only cartoon wannabe.

• yaminsuxyaminsux Member UncommonPosts: 973

I wouldnt want ESO to be B2P/F2P.

One Reason:

Keeps whiny players out. I'll pay for that....seriously.

• skyline385skyline385 Member Posts: 564
    The game has the potential to be P2P. All will depend on the content provided after launch. If they can't provide any new content, then it's difficult in my opinion. Otherwise, like someone else stated, it can go the TSW path.

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719

I love the "give in" part of the title. Like there's this irresistible force pushing them that way... wishful thinking much?

If you want to wait 2 or 3 years, go for it.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• delta9delta9 Member UncommonPosts: 358
    yes it will eventually got free/try2p or b2p or it will be closed down
  • Castielle101Castielle101 Member CommonPosts: 81
    Originally posted by BatCakez

Cas

Name another game that's like it. Please. I do insist.

Don't say Tera, or Wizardry, because that's still horizons off.

I think you misunderstand what I meant.  I meant the MMO features of the  game have been done better in other games: Guilds, Crafting, UI, Social Functions etc.  The ES features they nailed pretty damn good.  Not knocking the game as an ES game, just the MMO part of it isn't anything new.  I think a lot of people would have been happier with something like what GW1 did, where once you left the cities it was just you and your group and the world to explore...but that's just my opinion.

Cas

Join the fan-powered community wiki for Elder Scrolls Online.
    http://elderscrollsonline.wiki.fextralife.com/Elder+Scrolls+Online+Wiki

• mcrippinsmcrippins Member RarePosts: 1,625
    Originally posted by DrunkWolf

Its a 100% fact that it will go free to play.

i would say after about a year.

It honestly should be free to play at launch

100% fact.. Where do people like you come from? So I can make sure to never visit there.

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    Originally posted by Iselin

I love the "give in" part of the title. Like there's this irresistible force pushing them that way... wishful thinking much?

If you want to wait 2 or 3 years, go for it.

Yeah, I always get the feeling that there's this hidden agenda behind many of these "F2P doom" posts, lol

It's like: "I actually quite enjoy this game, but I don't want to pay for it, so if it goes F2P in 6 months, I'm OK. Otherwise, I'll just cave and buy it now, because I'm not realistically going to wait 1 or 2 years before I play it."