Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Elder Scrolls Online Beta Review

So...Elder Scrolls Online. Whodathunkit way back in the day when the ES series first came out in the 1990s? Although, the type of gameplay that the series offers just screams MMO. The real question, however, is can they do it right. Let's break it down...

**EDIT**

I leveled from 1-12 as a male, Bretan mage of DaggerFall over the course of the beta weekend. I played 1-10 in Tamriel and leveled 10-12 in Cyrodiil (PVP) with about 8 runs through the three 12-15 dungeons.

GRAPHICS: 8.5/10

I saw a few complaints about the graphics of this game in chat, but I am guessing they were mostly from people who are used to playing single player games and not MMOs, or were playing at a lower graphical setting. On ultra the game looks great, and really helped immerse me in the game world. There are a few critiques with some textures, but it wasn't enough to distract me from the overall visual aspects of this game.

There were also a few graphics bugs here and there both in the game world (e.g. some floating MOBS) and character bugs (e.g. odd non-symmetrical facial alignments); however, I am discounting them since they were few and fully expect them to be addressed come launch.

SOUND: 10/10

I thought sound was just sound before, but ZOS (Zenimax Online Studios - the makers of ESO) have really done their job. They have good game world music, sound effects, and all the quests (at least the ones I did through levels 1-12) were all fully voice acted! It's comical to think that SWTOR used this as one of their primary selling point for their game, while in ESO it's just another feature in their list of features. Some of the voice actors are well known actors and actresses and really help bring life into the character. Especially early on in the game with John Cleese voice acting a Don Quixote-type character. It really impressed me because he did an excellent job, and I just love Don Quixote (so I am biased here).

The beautiful sounds and voice acting follows previous Elder Scrolls games, like Skyrim, and maintains that reputation.

INTERFACE: 9/10

For the most part really clean and well done. It takes a bit getting used to with the menu bar system (e.g. the rotation needed for potions), but overall top notch. I like the fact they are trying to get away from MMO screens looking like spreadsheets, and making it look more like a game to be played. The default is no floating texts, no buffs shown, no name plates, etc. It's great. It's clean and immersive.

1st person is done very well, and I actually played my whole gameplay in that mode. The only downside is not knowing when a large charge attack is happening, since it appears in red on the ground. Easy to see in 3rd person, but who really looks at the ground in 1st person. I hope that they make it so a red outline on the edges of the screen occurs or something to help indicate charge attacks in 1st person.

As for no floating texts on damage and healing, I can live with that. Honestly, I healed all the dungeon instances I ran, and I rarely looked at party health bars in the party window. Instead I was looking at the actual player (OnMouseOver shows their health bar). This was necessary, since this game isn't click-target-based. Thus, you need to know where the person is that needs healing, because you need to aim the heal at them or the area they are in.

I won't say it's innovation, since non-click-targeting is in other ES games, and in DarkFall Online, but it is done so well here. An idea is only so good as it's implementation, and they did a great job with putting gaming back in MMOs, rather than looking at numbers and tables, etc. This leads me to the next section.

COMBAT: 9/10

Combat is great. It is non-click-targeting and action driven. You can move/roll out of enemy attacks, and need to aim your bow/spells at enemy players. It can get kind of frustrating with lag, especially for spells with a timer. Since some spells need a "valid target" to cast and a "valid target" to exist at the end of cast. This allows enemy players through movement or lag to not get casted on. I guess it's to conserve magicka (mana) for the caster, since the spell would miss, but I think starting the cast can be done without a valid target, as long as the end cast has a valid target.

This is also an interesting subject area, because like Rift and all classless MMO games, ESO has a great level of freedom for the player. There is an archtype that the player chooses to play (i.e. mage, fighter, rogue, healer) and that defines the player to some degree, but then it doesn't in another. It's hard to explain in a short space, but I will try.

Each weapon/armor has different skill options, as well as just a base class option of skills (e.g. mage) which the player can choose to use. There are no restrictions in the type of weapons and armor that a player wears so a mage could wear heavy armor for example. And instead of a staff use a sword and shield. Hence, if you need a tank in an instance and you are all mages, one can be a tank (this actually happened and worked). Also, I played a mage, but had a spec in healing and since we needed a healer I healed the party.

This opens the door to playing with your friends and letting them play the classes they want. There is no longer any need to wait 30 mins to find a tank. Just have at least one of your friends have a heavy armor set in their inventory and perhaps a skill point or two in a "tanking" skill line and viola. So just a great system in general.

**EDIT**

Perhaps the combat is 8.5 rather than 9. The problem is that there is no collision detection between players, npcs and other players. In other words, you can just walk rigth through other characters as if you or they or both were ghosts. Hitting mobs and rolling through them in combat feels somewhat empty in that regards, although hitting npcs (especially during a charge attack) makes them react, which is a nice touch. 

Putting in collision (a la WaR) is an interesting feature, although there is always room for abuse by people who can just then swarm an important npc so no one else can access it, etc. But for combat reasons, I feel it just adds to the immersiveness which allows tanks to really hold-the-line and allow nothing through.

QUESTING: 8.5/10

So far, one of the best questing systems I have played in an MMO and I've played a...lot. It helps that the quests are fully voice acted, but the quest system itself is well designed. Rarely, did I feel like I was grinding the quest mill (although that's inevitable), and it was more about helping these people with issues that mattered to them. It may not have mattered to me much as a player/character, and a few times I was like so why am I doing this besides needing xp. But it did seem that the quests that you were doing did matter to the npcs that you were helping. It wasn't kill 10 rats, then kill 10 wolves because...God, only knows. It was at least kill X because it greatly affected the npc is some manner, so it gave some weight and meaning behind the quests.

To push it that much further would be trying to incorporate meaning into the player to do these quests. However, this would come to a great expensive of both time and resources for the actual payoff, since it would require what SWTOR did and give different options to the player that mattered, and then thus different quest chains (including voice acting) for all those different choices. In ESO, it makes no difference, and the end result is the same, which either completes the quest or forwards you to the next one. There are some "red" texts which are finalized choices, but I don't think they actually affect the gameplay much, and exist to give the appearance that it mattered. And truthfully, that works perfectly fine for me.

Besides questions, there are dark anchors which work to a similar style as public quests (PQs) that existed in WaR and then in Rift. They resemble Rift a bit more, since they are essentially rifts, but here ESO does a much better job, since they are much rarer (I hope it stays that way) and keeps them unique. This then adds a freshness to the questing procedure and acts as a break for the player. It also allows them to involve themselves in a social aspect (i.e. needs many people to do them), which also gives a break from soloing.

All quests so far are soloable (at least up till level 12 where I left off). Everything expect the formal dungeons, which I will talk about next.

DUNGEONS: 9/10

So there are two types of dungeons in ESO public and private (my own terms). Public ones are dungeons that are like any other place in the game world, except in a dungeon type atmosphere.  There are quests there, and some additional loot. However, these are not instanced and so it can get very busy in them. In beta all of these dungeons were incredibly easy because there were way too many people in them. Post launch I feel it will be less crowded and then meeting the odd adventure in there will be great. Because it would let the player meet a stranger, who has similar goals, and possibly end up teaming with them.

Private dungeons are instanced dungeons and act similar to the dungeons in World of Warcraft. They look gorgeous and play well. The three that you can do at around level 12 are short and quick and fun. They have a perfect amount of difficulty that it makes it challenging and rewarding to complete. They are kind of short (maybe 20-30 mins), but ESO has wisely made three of them. This helps people who don't want to spend 1.5-2h doing a dungeon still allow them to do them, but for those who do can do the others.

The difficulty is at a good setting (please don't dumb it down) at this point, and our party wiped a few times which is great. It should be challenging!

PVP: 9/10

All PVP is done in Cyrodiil which is a separate instanced large alliance vs alliance vs alliance (AvAvA) area. I believe ZOS said it's bigger than the starter areas for the different alliances. Regardless, it's a game unto itself and is worth at least a try.

I won't get into all the details, since there is a lot. But to summarize there are three different factions (instead of the classic two) and everything is there for the taking. There are many castles which can be claimed by the different factions and taking and defending them is a large part of this scenario.

Like I said, it's a game unto itself and in Cyrodiil you can gather, quest, and even do dungeons, but they are public. So you can do a great job clearing a dungeon, only to have the enemy from another alliance come kill you and your party and then kill the boss and take the loot. So great. Reminds me of Ultima Online and EQII (pvp server). However, public dungeons are easy, and are not like instanced dungeons with elite mobs. It would be nice to see at least some public dungeons with instanced-dungeon-difficulty and loot (i.e. random world bosses spawning in there a la Aion).

The mass PVP battles were epic and fun. It's a great feeling to use a siege weapon to break down a castle wall or pour boiling oil onto enemy players as they try to storm your alliance's castle.

**EDIT**

It was beta but lag in Cyrodiil was just terrible. I am hoping it was just stress testing the server, and that it will be addressed come launch. Lag did not affect the score I gave PVP, if it exists come launch it would, since at times it was unplayable. However, when it was lag free it was very enjoyable.

CRAFTING: 8/10

I only crafted a bit in this game just to test it out. I only scratched the surface, but from what I saw it seemed quite indepth and interesting. At first glance it looked like the very boring WoW-ish crafting system, but it's not. It has some twists and aspects that makes it refreshing. Although, I didn't fully test it out, so I am still unsure. However, it seems to have some aspects that were taken out of EQII crafting with quality of items, etc. I really like the idea that you can add more of a material to create higher level gear. That was a very smart design. I believe the devs have said that crafted gear will be considered top gear. I hope that I am remembering that correctly.

Of the gear that I crafted from level 1-10 the gear was better than quested gear received. However, it's much better, since you can make the gear have qualities added to them, which is beyond just enchantments, and something I won't get into.

I just hope that top level crafters are a rarity, which in turn would make uber gear rare. I just hope they don't generic-it all down to the boring philosophy that "we are all winners." Inequality creates competition and pushes people to be better. Seeing a great crafter make a great weapon pushes other crafters to also attain that level. If everyone eventually becomes this, it just belittles the overall profession and rarity of the items to the point of it being normal and generic gear. But that is purely my $0.02.

OVERALL GAMEPLAY: 8.5/10

I went into beta not knowing much about ESO. To be honest, I haven't really been following it that much. I watched a few YouTube videos about it, like Shoddycast, but it really didn't grab my attention. I got invited to the previous beta, but I didn't even bother claiming my code to test it. For this beta, I am glad I did. I was pleasantly surprised how much I enjoyed the game.

It's kind of hard to categorize this game, since it takes aspects from many different game genres so it's more of a hybrid. There are aspects of ES (i.e. Skyrim), MMO, theme-park-yet-sandbox. I think it's all a hard balance to maintain. MMO players are a demanding bunch, so to juggle all these features can be a difficult task. So far, I believe they are succeeding.

FINAL THOUGHTS:

I really appreciate the relatively slower paced leveling system. I don't think MMOs should design their game to be able to be max level in a week or even two weeks. They put years into making a game world, only to be blown past it in a week? It never made sense to me. This trend is actually a nail in the coffin for MMOs, since once it's "end game," there better be more. I mean if devs really love their world, then the player base should love just being in it, end game be damned. Reaching end game shouldn't be the primary goal, but just a goal and the focus should be playing the game. Single player games succeed because it's a great game to play through, not because of the end game (well it's over by then). I hope ZOS keeps a slower paced leveling system. The game is meant to be played and the world to be enjoyed.

SIDE NOTE:

I hope this game does well, it seems like a lot of hard work went into making it. I just hope that the company stays true to their fans. $60 initial purchase and $15/m, I think is the dollar cap that should be implemented. I really do not like how the industry is trying to exploit their playerbase with micro-transactions, especially DLCs. I forsee a large backlash from the community if ZOS tries to charge what they already are, and then tries to take further advantage of their playerbase. I just hope they do not get greedy and instead keep with these price points, and give everything the players deserve for their $15/m; rather than try to do some future DLC idea. I feel that would be terrible and would only hurt the game, and the ES brand, which stands for great quality, value, and gameplay for their players.

http://thetwinkednoob.blogspot.ca/

**EDIT**

Baseline for the numbering system that I used.

WOW-baseline WOTLK expansion:

Graphics: 6/10

Sound: 6/10

Interface: 6/10

Combat: 6.5/10

Questing: 5/10

Dungeons: 7/10

PVP: 5.5/10

Crafting: 4/10

Overall: 5/10

Comments

• Castielle101Castielle101 Member CommonPosts: 81

I honestly think the UI is the worst part of ESO so far.  Feels so stripped down and minimal (not to mention confusing).  Combat is also not a strong suit of this game, but when has that ever been the strong suit of an ES game...

Cas

Join the fan-powered community wiki for Elder Scrolls Online.
    http://elderscrollsonline.wiki.fextralife.com/Elder+Scrolls+Online+Wiki

• CazNeergCazNeerg Member Posts: 2,198
    Stripped down and minimal are only a bad thing in a UI if the minimalism reduces the functionality.  I don't think it does in ESO.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
    Through passion, I gain strength.
    Through strength, I gain power.
    Through power, I gain victory.
    Through victory, my chains are broken.
    The Force shall free me.

• CryptorCryptor Member UncommonPosts: 523

IMO UI is great, I am tired of UIs taking up third of my screen.

After playing for few days I agree with this review, this game is well worth getting.

• kkarrabbasskkarrabbass Member Posts: 152

It would help, if you first mentioned your class, race, level, all those things that are relevant to your experience.

Secondly, would be helpful to explain your numbers, why they are not 10/10.

• LokbergLokberg Member Posts: 315
    Originally posted by kkarrabbass

It would help, if you first mentioned your class, race, level, all those things that are relevant to your experience.

Helps if you read the damn post man, he said he was a level 12 mage who healed the instance dungeons they did.

Race dont have any impact on the review.

secondly since you dident read the review i can understand why you dont know why he dident give all 10/10.

• kkarrabbasskkarrabbass Member Posts: 152
    Originally posted by Lokberg

Helps if you read the damn post man, he said he was a level 12 mage who healed the instance dungeons they did.

secondly since you dident read the review i can understand why you dont know why he dident give all 10/10.

I hope you do not have double standards, and you have read 2 short lines of my response. I wrote "first". Is it damn simple enough?

Secondly, race has fundamental impact on game play experience. Different alliances have different game plays (quest lines, zones, etc.) and their qualities.

Thirdly, since you are good at guessing and assuming, tell me how did he come up with those fractions like 8.5/10? Why not 8/10, or 9/10?  Did he calculated them somehow? Or just made  them up to look more plausible?

Isn't numerator supposed to be an integer number?

• LokbergLokberg Member Posts: 315

I hope you do not have double standards, and you have read 2 short lines of my response. I wrote "first". Is it damn simple enough?

Secondly, race has fundamental impact on game play experience. Different alliances have different game plays (quest lines, zones, etc.) and their qualities.

Thirdly, since you are good at guessing and assuming, tell me how did he come up with those fractions like 8.5/10? Why not 8/10, or 9/10?  Did he calculated them somehow? Or just made  them up to look more plausible?

Well since english aint everyones native tongue maybe you should word it better saying. Your first sentence should be class level and race. ( still dont think race matters since its all objective i dident like daggerfall convenant for example but others like it it since i see alot of guilds recruiting for it.)

And thirdly ofcourse he made em up people needs numbers man they cant just read the text and get a feel for what the op want to say. Its like Totalbiscuit says "numbers are worthless" but people seem to want em.

Obviosuly he wasent to taken aback by the graphics/questing  to give it and 8 but not impressed enough to give it a 9 in his book so 8.5 had to do.

Edit.

You could read your first as he dident mention it at all and most of it he did if you took time to read through the wall of text.

• DignaDigna Member UncommonPosts: 1,994

If we had a hard and fast numbering system that defined what and 8 out 10 was versus a 10 out of 10, say for ALL MMOs not just ESO that would be fine. But we don't. Not that it would be impossible, in fact it wouldn't be difficult at all.

The problem is that once we implemented the system, everyone would have to make posts explaining why THEY feel that game X is an 8.5 in graphics vs the other guy thinking game X is a 6 in graphics.

A concrete grading system would add more basis to what we glean from someones numeration (if we assume they were sticking to the system) but without an explanation is it still personal opinion.

Not knocking the OP, btw. I felt it was a good read and agreed with most of it. Maybe just a tad bit more on why the loss of the points when the items were less than 10.

• Tindale111Tindale111 Member UncommonPosts: 276
    i would like to add what i consider one important score to this. map layout on what ive seen so far 9.33/10 as opposed to say final fantasy 0.7/10. on a side note can any game score 10/10 ? theres always room for improvement tho on ultra setting i think this is easily the best looking mmo out their 
  • markyturnipmarkyturnip Member UncommonPosts: 837

Nice review.

The tone of some of these responses saddens me, and reminds why I went off MMOs.

After playing the beta, I also think I will get this game... but I also suspect I will be playing a lot of it solo. The community depresses me too much.

• VolenibbletsVolenibblets Member UncommonPosts: 246

I clearly must be missing something...only got to level 7 so maybe I didn't get far enough to see the good stuff. It is enjoyable enough but I don't think anything but the music would get over 6/10 so far and I don't feel I'm being too stingey. I am a huge fan of the Elder Scrolls series...and maybe that's the problem! 

That said I have yet to come across a point where grouping was desirable or necessary so perhaps group play adds a lot. And I also didn't get to see pvp, so likewise I may be missing a huge chunk of its charm. I can only comment on the NPC banter 'go there, talk to him, kill that and come back for supper' content which seems to make up a lot of the early levels with dozens of players flying in all directions on errands. 

As others have said about it, if it's done one thing it's really revived my love of skyrim which had waned a while back. ESO just teases a similar experience with the added bonus of playing with mates but it seems to deliver about 10% of the depth or atmosphere so far. And I don't have to pay a sub for skyrim... 

• Big-CronkBig-Cronk Member Posts: 61

So much bitching and moaning these days haha

I thought it was a well written review and I agree with what the op has written. I too was not that interested in this game until I played the beta weekend. Its looking like it my be at the top of my list right now. Is this game for everybody? the answer is a stern no. But for those who would enjoy an mmo like this it is very well made. If you didn't enjoy it then I hope you find a game to enjoy one of these days, but youll never be happy if you maintain the hyper critical attitude a lot of people seem to have in this generation.

All in all, well written review

• ThorqemadaThorqemada Member UncommonPosts: 1,282

TESO is a 7 with downs like the UI at 5.

"Torquemada... do not implore him for compassion. Torquemada... do not beg him for forgiveness. Torquemada... do not ask him for mercy. Let's face it, you can't Torquemada anything!"

MWO Music Video - What does the Mech say: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FF6HYNqCDLI
    Johnny Cash - The Man Comes Around: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0x2iwK0BKM

• CalvenCalven Member Posts: 151

Well since english aint everyones native tongue maybe you should word it better saying. Your first sentence should be class level and race. ( still dont think race matters since its all objective i dident like daggerfall convenant for example but others like it it since i see alot of guilds recruiting for it.)

And thirdly ofcourse he made em up people needs numbers man they cant just read the text and get a feel for what the op want to say. Its like Totalbiscuit says "numbers are worthless" but people seem to want em.

Obviosuly he wasent to taken aback by the graphics/questing  to give it and 8 but not impressed enough to give it a 9 in his book so 8.5 had to do.

Edit.

You could read your first as he dident mention it at all and most of it he did if you took time to read through the wall of text.

[mod edit]

Made-up numbers still require an explanation. Crafting received 8/10 even though OP said he only scratched the surface of it. How can we trust the 8 if he only scratched the surface of it? Should he not refrain from reviewing something he only just 'scratched the surface of'? Why not a 10, then? Op does make valid points but they are only positive. Now, I refuse to believe that OP didn't have at least a few problems or issues with some of the features or lack of them and I'd very much like to hear about those as well. I like OP's review, though it comes across more as a summary of the features in-game than an actual review. kkarrabbass only made his post to help the OP to improve his review and include other details that would help the readers to gain a more complete perception of ESO.

A fine 'review' and I'm always happy to see other people enjoying themselves. Perhaps refrain from reviewing things you only tried out or 'scratched the surface' of. I agree, crafting is great in ESO but awarding a feature with such a high grade when you've only performed a very limited part of the feature makes me suspicious of the rest of your review. Otherwise, thank you for a nice read :)

• sionidesionide Member Posts: 42

Hey all,

I've read all the posts, as well as the critiques, and I agree with the short comings of the review. I just didn't want to write pages and pages. Because (A) who would read it, not many (B) I wanted to write enough to give an overall sense of the game, without scaring anyone from reading it.

I tried to make it brief enough but informative enough for people who had a bit of time to read it would get the information they wanted without making it feel like reading a novel. After having wrote it, I went to bed (it was after 1 am), and immediately though that I made the review sound too positive and left out a lot of the negatives. I wanted to put them in there, but honestly just forgot about them. I'll edit them in.

The critique about the numbering system is valid, but only to a degree. It has merit to be critical of, and yes they are just made up and clearly subjective, but that is the point of them in my case. It's my personal review and how I would rate such a feature. A arbitrary 10/10 is hard to define (as is all the values). A 10/10 is an experience that I would feel lacks nothing and offers more than I honestly could imagine (i.e. Jessica Alba). I put numbers in to give an overall impression for those who wanted a quick summary. If someone wanted more info they can read what I wrote. I could write about each feature (probably pages for each section), but I will refrain unless others really want it.

However, the comment about why .5 and not whole numbers? I think it was already addressed by another poster. Asking why .5 is the same as why whole numbers like 8 or 9. Why not .3333 etc, then you are just being outlandish and there always needs to be some sort of limit to the qualitative definitions. Defining things to be qualitative is what some critiques wanted, but that is outside the scope of this review and belongs in the realm of academia of the social sciences. Not to say they don't have a valid point, but I wrote term essays on this kind of stuff, so it's just more distracting rather than adds to the review. Addressing questions like "why 8 and not 7?" is something to look into, but again requires more writing, which is something I enjoy doing but am wary about how much a reader will actually accept before just giving up and stop reading the whole piece. Now giving a baseline to the numbers does make sense, and I will add them here (using WoW as a baseline).

WOW-baseline WOTLK expansion:

Graphics: 6/10

Sound: 6/10

Interface: 6/10

Combat: 6.5/10

Questing: 5/10

Dungeons: 7/10

PVP: 5.5/10

Crafting: 4/10

Overall: 5/10

Lastly, giving a review of something that I "just scratched the surface of" is justifiable, because it's a review of levels 1-12 and that is the crating score that I give it from that experience. My whole experience is really scratching the surface, since the cap is 50, etc, etc. It might seem like a valid argument, but just remember the review is always relative to levels 1-12 and in that, I explored each section enough to feel justified in giving it a score and comment. And I will take the critique of one of the posters and put my level, class, alliance, race at the top of the review.

Thanks.

sio.

• ZinzanZinzan Member UncommonPosts: 1,351

Good post, I disagree with a lot of what you say, but as with any point of view it's all based on personal opinion.

Expresso gave me a Hearthstone beta key.....I'm so happy :)

• nerovipus32nerovipus32 Member Posts: 2,735
    Originally posted by Castielle101

I honestly think the UI is the worst part of ESO so far.  Feels so stripped down and minimal (not to mention confusing).  Combat is also not a strong suit of this game, but when has that ever been the strong suit of an ES game...

Cas

The UI is pretty much identical to skyrim.

• SolarRainSolarRain Member UncommonPosts: 32
    Originally posted by nerovipus32
    Originally posted by Castielle101

Cas

The UI is pretty much identical to skyrim.

That's the problem, the UI was shit in Skyrim too. The minimal design is ok, even though I personally think the aesthetic they use is one of the ugliest things I've ever seen.

I don't get why people keep praising the UI, unless these people are using a controller. The UI is designed for consoles/controllers. This is clearly obvious thoughout the game, from combat to crafting. For instance when extracting you highlight an item with your mouse, then having to press E to add, then R to extract. It's extremely clunky and awkward, but with a controller it just feels right. Skryim was the same, it always felt far more fluid and just 'right' when using a controller.