Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What grinds my gears.

LostarLostar Member UncommonPosts: 891
Firstly, a responsive to some of your knee jerk reactions:
Originally posted by Aulliwyn

I'll make this simple. Yes, I am talking about dungeons being gated. Yes, I am aware these topics have been discussed in the past and sometimes at length (So you can take your 'Google is your friend' comment and shove it).

However, I still do not agree with the outcome so I will continue to want to discuss and debate these issues ad nauseam.

Some of your comments are ridiculously smug. It's sad that some of you have this mentality that cross faction communication is more trouble than it's worth. It works fine in many games, the most recent in personal experience being The Secret World.

And as I stated in the OP: I preordered the Physical Imperial Edition early last month. I have a ton of positives about this game but that is not what this post is about. What is so difficult to comprehend?

And no, cross faction communication is not available. FFS!

tl;dr? They make pills for your ADHD.

Things that disappoint me about The Elder Scrolls thus far:

• No option for cross alliance communication. Just because it's in World of Warcraft doesn't mean it's good. A huge chunk of TES lore is about political intrigue. Zenimax is robbing us of the opportunity of forming any intrigue of our own. It stunts roleplay possibilities. Yes, it saves us from harassing comments. However, we lose far more. Never will we be able to playfully taunt our opponents while we lay siege to their castle whilst they huddle within. Nor can we take part in epic political roleplay scenarios within the game. Yes, it could also cause issues of so-called PvP cheating but 1)through the glory of alternate forms of communication it can happen anyways, and 2) I call that intrigue and (to me) intrigue=enjoyment because it is something to overcome. The community can own the dialog of the story they collaboratively form through peaceful negotiations, shadey cross-allaince bribes, or all out trash talking warfare. To rob us of this experience just because it has been the MMO standard since WoW is cruel for a TES game.
  •  
  • No crossing the political lines except through end game and only under very limited circumstances. You are chained to your lands and Cyrodiil until end game. Beyond that you are able to finally explore one of the other's lands with a story to back it up. This makes no sense from a lore/roleplay perspective especially since the release of the Explorer's Pack for preorders. Zenimax could make it difficult to cross the borders since the fueding alliances are at war. Perhaps you have to sneak past border guards. But to make it impossible was, and still is, the biggest shellshock for me. As an orc I could still sneak into Stormwind. As an Omni-Tek employee I was still able to slip into Old Athen. The fact that there is this restriction on a TES inspired MMORPG makes no sense.
  •  
  • Gated content that is only unlocked through level/quest requirements or alliance affiliation. This is when you come to a zone border and it states that you do not meet the requirements to enter. FOR THE LOVE OF TALOS LET MY FACE GET RIPPED TO SHREDS BY THE MONSTERS BEYOND THAT GATE. I do not care. Just LET ME EXPLORE like I am in a...I don't know...Elder Scrolls game?
  •  
  • Chests and gathering nodes that are 1 player and gone that causes resentment towards anyone within your vicinity. They need to adopt how Guild Wars 2 handled this.
  •  
  • Restrictions with grouping and the bugs that happen while grouped. While I was in a group tonight I had to relog in order to get into the same instance of the area they inhabited. I also hear that certain quest instanced areas are problematic for grouping.
  •  
  • Animation is still floaty. Jumping reminds me of WoW. I wish the movement and animations were tighter like that of GW2.
  •  
  • No true aiming. For instance when I decided last second to use my spell on another target and switch to the new target mid cast the spell would still land on the target that the crosshairs were over during the beginning of the cast. Very discombobulating for a TES player. 
  •  
  • No choices with quest rewards. If I want to play a Bow wielding, cloth wearing Bosmer but the quests only give me a single reward to "choose" from and that reward is plate, maces, and leather jerkins.....I'm going to find myself at a disadvantage. Workaround: adopt crafting very early in the game or run the locked chest circuit and hope for the goods.
  •  
  • No auction houses outside of the guild. This. is. SOBAD ZENIMAX
  •  
  • ...ect.ect.ect.

No I do not agree horses are too expensive and inventory banks are too small. I would hate for this game to turn into an instant-gratification game. I'd rather feel like I earned that horse through time and effort and be proud of specializing in my craft, realizing what I want and need while selling the rest to keep my inventory clutter free. GW2 collection tabs are for hoarders. Let's try the smaller inventory and watch the economy really move...provided they change their ludicrous idea of guild only AHs.

And yes. There are a lot of positives. And despite the seething hate I have for the negatives I still preordered the physical Imperial Edition.

Comments

• VelocinoxVelocinox Member UncommonPosts: 1,010

• Gated content that is only unlocked through level/quest requirements or alliance affiliation. This is when you come to a zone border and it states that you do not meet the requirements to enter. FOR THE LOVE OF TALOS LET MY FACE GET RIPPED TO SHREDS BY THE MONSTERS BEYOND THAT GATE. I do not care. Just LET ME EXPLORE like I am in a...I don't know...Elder Scrolls game?

Don't the single player Elder Scrolls games level with you?

'Sandbox MMO' is a PTSD trigger word for anyone who has the experience to know that anonymous players invariably use a 'sandbox' in the same manner a housecat does.

When your head is stuck in the sand, your ass becomes the only recognizable part of you.

No game is more fun than the one you can't play, and no game is more boring than one which you've become familiar.

How to become a millionaire:
    Start with a billion dollars and make an MMO.

• LostarLostar Member UncommonPosts: 891
    Originally posted by Velocinox

Some of the do...Not expecting that with TESO. I expected freedom to explore anywhere...everywhere...no matter the danger of being roflstomped. Heck..I don't care if it pops up with a dislog window that says "You get the strange feeling you will be far out of your depths beyond this point"....just let em in goddamnit. If they are locking people because of unfulfilled quest prerequisites and they don't want the player to see the quests that lay beyond because it could spoil the immersion of the previous quests...then let me in and just make sure I am locked out from viewing/interacting with the NPC involved with that quest. Form an instanced environment for those people who did not complete the quest requirement like how Cat's EyE Quay and many other places change based on your quest progression..

I don't know but anything is better than this.

• RaagnarzRaagnarz Member RarePosts: 576

The game is just poorly designed. It has absolutely nothing in it that made an elder scrolls game, an elder scrolls game. Its a completely generic mmo with an elder scroll skin strapped o it. its got ES lore...and thats about it for the ES stuff. It even craps all over that. Gone is total freedom. Gone is pickpocketing. Gone is swimming underwater.  Gone is interacting with almost every object. Gone is being able to kill NPC's and becoming an outlaw. Gone is designing your character from scratch anyway you want, can't have that have to have "classes" in an MMO. Gone is total exploration, invisible walls abound, and there are plenty of lore breaking immersion with the faction realms. Pet peeve of mine, I love how your armor "breathes" with you. Go for painted on textures.

The questing is decent I will give them that. The voice acting is passable and gives me a SWTOR level of immersion while doing the quest. The quests are more quality over quantity approach which I appreciate. The quests are more memorable because there is a story behind all of them, unlike other MMO's which fill up your log of 100 worthless fire and forget quests. The faction pvp is fairly well done...but where in the hell is collision detection?

Overall the game is at best mediocre, at worst a blantant cash grab to steal money for ES fans before it goes ffree to play or buy to play. The bottom line is there is nothing in this game that makes an elder scrolls game, an edler scrolls game. Once the initial box sales/month are done, I'm not sure the game is going to have the legs to stand on. Its going to piss off Es fans for not being ES enough. Lets face it they are the core market this game is going after. This game remind me of SWTOR, bank on the built in fan base, but make your game with almost nothing that fan base is expecting or wanting.

• paul43paul43 Member UncommonPosts: 198

I was in the undead dungeon yesterday, was going great untill last boss... The last boss wasn't even there, so we couldn't complete the quest/event. There's a lot of bugs, ending up in wrong instance, with no good way to teleport over, players crashing/DC'ing and coming back just to see him marked as "offline" in the group menu. Some players ninja'ing all the boxes making us wait before we can pull next group of mobs etc.

You basicly need ingame gold to group and do dungeons, need gold to teleport, gold to repair etc. That's actually what I liked about AoC, you could just come and play, no repair bills, and potions were cheap and sold by npc's.

I can see that if a group fails or a player fail there is going to be some unhappy group players because of the repair bill and teleport cost.

Loot in dungeon is horrible, I did 15 runs this weekend, and I'm using one blue necklace I got, while I did get many blue items, like bows, light armor chest piece, medium armor pants, two handed weapons, there was nothing I could use myself as a tank. I also got many duplicates(but with different names from different bosses), how many necklaces with +stamina or health do I really need?

Although I didn't open many boxes. I hope they change the boxes to a single box after each boss, and each player can loot their own box. Because waiting for the loot whores to clear a room for boxes every room is getting old fast.

Well that's my big negative concerns I belive, I have many posetive things to say about the game, but this I guess was a thread about the negatives so.

• Swids2010Swids2010 Member Posts: 244

• No option for cross alliance communication. Just because it's in World of Warcraft doesn't mean it's good. A huge chunk of TES lore is about political intrigue. Zenimax is robbing us of the opportunity of forming any intrigue of our own. It stunts roleplay possibilities. Yes, it saves us from harassing comments. However, we lose far more. Never will we be able to playfully taunt our opponents while we lay siege to their castle whilst they huddle within. Nor can we take part in epic political roleplay scenarios within the game. Yes, it could also cause issues of so-called PvP cheating but 1)through the glory of alternate forms of communication it can happen anyways, and 2) I call that intrigue and (to me) intrigue=enjoyment because it is something to overcome. The community can own the dialog of the story they collaboratively form through peaceful negotiations, shadey cross-allaince bribes, or all out trash talking warfare. To rob us of this experience just because it has been the MMO standard since WoW is cruel for a TES game.
    •  
    • No crossing the political lines except through end game and only under very limited circumstances. You are chained to your lands and Cyrodiil until end game. Beyond that you are able to finally explore one of the other's lands with a story to back it up. This makes no sense from a lore/roleplay perspective especially since the release of the Explorer's Pack for preorders. Zenimax could make it difficult to cross the borders since the fueding alliances are at war. Perhaps you have to sneak past border guards. But to make it impossible was, and still is, the biggest shellshock for me. As an orc I could still sneak into Stormwind. As an Omni-Tek employee I was still able to slip into Old Athen. The fact that there is this restriction on a TES inspired MMORPG makes no sense.
    •  
    •  
    • Chests and gathering nodes that are 1 player and gone that causes resentment towards anyone within your vicinity. They need to adopt how Guild Wars 2 handled this.
    •  
    • Restrictions with grouping and the bugs that happen while grouped. While I was in a group tonight I had to relog in order to get into the same instance of the area they inhabited. I also hear that certain quest instanced areas are problematic for grouping.
    • Animation is still floaty. Jumping reminds me of WoW. I wish the movement and animations were tighter like that of GW2.
    • No true aiming. For instance when I decided last second to use my spell on another target and switch to the new target mid cast the spell would still land on the target that the crosshairs were over during the beginning of the cast. Very discombobulating for a TES player. 
    •  
    • No choices with quest rewards. If I want to play a Bow wielding, clother wearing Bosmer but the quests only give me a single reward to "choose" from and that reward is plate, maces, and leather jerkins.....I'm going to find myself at a disadvantage. Workaround: adopt crafting very early in the game or run the locked chest circuit and hope for the goods.
    •  
    • No auction houses outside of the guild. This. is. SOBAD ZENIMAX
    •  
    • ...ect.ect.ect.

No I do not agree horses are too expensive and inventory banks are too small. I would hate for this game to turn into an instant-gratification game. I'd rather feel like I earned that horse through time and effort and be proud of specializing in my craft, realizing what I want and need while selling the rest to keep my inventory clutter free. GW2 collection tabs are for hoarders. Let's try the smaller inventory and watch the economy really move...provided they change their ludicrous idea of guild only AHs.

And yes. There are a lot of positives. And despite the seething hate I have for the negatives I still preordered the physical Imperial Edition.

Well put nearly all the same things I was having issues with in this weekends beta the gated content Is the biggest killer for me. I love to be able to wander were my wim takes me having only recently finished another play through of skyrim  and then playing this you begin to notice how shallow this game is.

• AsariashaAsariasha Member UncommonPosts: 252
    I think some zones simply are not available in beta. Or do you mean mini dungeons that are not available due to missing quest requirements?
  • ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534

errr. yea, so you played the stress test and know it all know?

lemme do some corrections:

* there is NO PROBLEM in communicating between alliances. you can talk to ebenheart if you are daggerfall and so on

* no AH is a prob for you? LOL whatever.

* actually you can do all pve lands, including those of "enemy" alliances in pve, since pvp ONLY takes place in cyrodill (you just need to get to those areas)

etc etc

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• Matticus75Matticus75 Member UncommonPosts: 396
    "Our studies have shown, with demographic collection information, and our award winning Algoritms for post release consumer behavior patterns, that we have determined that allowing exploration as the OP indicated stresses our customers and results in a %1.568 decrease in revenue year-over-year, of course factoring in the nelgilble increase of the customer type that is similar to OP's point......sorry for the inconvenience, and have a nice day"
  • GutgehnaghtGutgehnaght Member UncommonPosts: 2

Another Thread by someone who has no clue about the game and writes like he/she/it knows it all.

Just for you: THERE IS NO LVL GATED CONTENT YOU CANNOT TEST IT ATM BECAUSE IT IS JUST NOT THERE FOR YOU IN THIS BETA TEST!

It was stated by alot of closed beta Testers that you can try and run as a lvl1 Char to the other zones to get your ass fucked by a lvl50 NPC.

Originally posted by Gutgehnaght

Another Thread by someone who has no clue about the game and writes like he/she/it knows it all.

Just for you: THERE IS NO LVL GATED CONTENT YOU CANNOT TEST IT ATM BECAUSE IT IS JUST NOT THERE FOR YOU IN THIS BETA TEST!

It was stated by alot of closed beta Testers that you can try and run as a lvl1 Char to the other zones to get your ass fucked by a lvl50 NPC.

I did not see these statements. However, was this "fact" also stated by any of the developers? If the gated content is indeed a product of beta restrictions and nothing else: fantastic. Strike 1 off my "Bad-Zenimax-BAD!" list.

And I think you mistake my ability to form readable material as me trying to present myself as an intellectual or a 'know-it-all'. Never did I make such claims. That is ludicrous. No clue about the game. HAH! I only played every damned beta since last November for 20+ hours each weekend. 

However, there is no reason for you to be such a prick. I mean seriously...did I offend you? Are you so easily butthurt over what I said here? My god..I think you and people like you (staring at you, Thane) just post to post...you just spew crap with little to no worth. Get lost.

• RigamortisRigamortis Member UncommonPosts: 207

I did not see these statements. However, was this "fact" also stated by any of the developers? If the gated content is indeed a product of beta restrictions and nothing else: fantastic. Strike 1 off my "Bad-Zenimax-BAD!" list.

And I think you mistake my ability to form readable material as me trying to present myself as an intellectual or a 'know-it-all'. Never did I make such claims. That is ludicrous. No clue about the game. HAH! I only played every damned beta since last November for 20+ hours each weekend. 

However, there is no reason for you to be such a prick. I mean seriously...did I offend you? Are you so easily butthurt over what I said here? My god..I think you and people like you (staring at you, Thane) just post to post...you just spew crap with little to no worth. Get lost.

Just my 2 cents,  but before you write a manifesto taking ESO to task on several fronts,  perhaps post bullet point information that is correct?  Otherwise,  all it look like you are doing is trolling.....

-Rig

Former GM and associate game designer for SOE and Square Enix.  (2001-2008)
  • FandinFandin Member UncommonPosts: 55

So anyways, yes it's true areas were left out of this beta. In the beta forums it was stated by a dev in some notes about this most recent event, it was designed to be a stress test with content to lvl1-17 available. Also stated in this post was the fact this was a old build of the game just because of that very reason. How much farther along the closed test servers are? I dunno, and don't claim to.

Hope it helps a little. For what it's worth, no game will ever be perfect in every ones eyes. If eight years of SWG taught me anything, it's to take the good with the bad and just have fun. Sometimes not always possible, but that's why we have such a nice large selection of MMO's. Something for everyone.

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719

Seems to be a lot of people who haven't paid any attention to this game for the past year attempting to debate design elements that were talked to death here months ago. 

• No cross alliance communication: done this way deliberately. Having played both types of PVP, this is way better than the opposite. There is also no teabag animation to perform on corpses.
    • "political lines"... yup. It's called faction lock - just like DAoC had. Love it.
    • "gated content" - nope. You can go wherever you want and have your ass handed to you by high level mobs...enjoy!
    • ...etc....

Google is your friend. All of this has been discussed to death over the past 12 months and you'll find many developer interviews addressing every single point. If you're interested enough to pass judgement on it and create a post, you should probably learn a bit more about it... don't you think?

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• DignaDigna Member UncommonPosts: 1,994

This was version .17x. While a lot of folks initially thought that this was the patch to add the collision detection (.18) they (devs) made  a statement that this weekend was for the purposes of stress testing again and not bug finding in the new version.

Throughout the beta forums over the weekend were closed beta testers (perma testers vs weekenders) that were pretty much saying 'This is in' and 'Wait til the next comes out' etc.

*shrug*

I'm enjoying the game and looking forward to opening day which is (sadly) 4 weeks away.

The lack of an AH doesn't bother me but for the purposes of my own gameplay (not much for guilds) we'll see how it plays out.

• Mors.MagneMors.Magne Member UncommonPosts: 1,549

95% of the problems with MMORPGs come from the fact that games never get funded unless the developer shows their directors a previous example(s) that have done financially well.

This is because as graphics improve, they require AAA financial backing to get the graphics 'up to scratch'. This means that nobody is prepared to take a risk with that sort of money - so the accountants / directors do not select innovation - they select what has worked financially before.

The answer  for us gamers is to back new games on kickstarter - because they live or die based on the ideas / concepts, rather than being a repeat.

Good examples include Elite: Dangerous, Star Citizen, and of course - Oculus Rift. Kickstarter is the future as far as new experiences are concerned.

• BloodaxesBloodaxes Member EpicPosts: 4,662

I'm pretty sure OP is talking about gated dungeons/caves/whatever you want to call them not zones.

Just saying.

I'll make this simple. Yes, I am talking about dungeons being gated. Yes, I am aware these topics have been discussed in the past and sometimes at length (So you can take your 'Google is your friend' comment and shove it).

However, I still do not agree with the outcome so I will continue to want to discuss and debate these issues ad nauseam.

Some of your comments are ridiculously smug. It's sad that some of you have this mentality that cross faction communication is more trouble than it's worth. It works fine in many games, the most recent in personal experience being The Secret World.

And as I stated in the OP: I preordered the Physical Imperial Edition early last month. I have a ton of positives about this game but that is not what this post is about. What is so difficult to comprehend?

And no, cross faction communication is not available. FFS!

tl;dr? They make pills for your ADHD.
  • evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270
    Originally posted by Velocinox

They do, a system like that would have been really cool.  Just scale everyone down to the level of the lowest level person in the group and have the content scale to that level.  Probably too hard for a MMO though. 

Originally posted by Reham34

I'll make this simple. Yes, I am talking about dungeons being gated. Yes, I am aware these topics have been discussed in the past and sometimes at length (So you can take your 'Google is your friend' comment and shove it). However, I still do not agree with the outcome so I will continue to want to discuss and debate these issues ad nauseam. Some of your comments are ridiculously smug. It's sad that some of you have this mentality that cross faction communication is more trouble than it's worth. It works fine in many games, the most recent in personal experience being The Secret World. And as I stated in the OP: I preordered the Physical Imperial Edition early last month. I have a ton of positives about this game but that is not what this post is about. What is so difficult to comprehend? And no, cross faction communication is not available. FFS! tl;dr? They make pills for your ADHD.

So most of your points have been discussed at lengths so those questioning your knowledge do have points.  But it seems you get very defensive when they question your post.  I would think being a member of this site since '04 you would know what was coming when you make a post like this.  Heck I've been here what a month and know it. 

I knew this would bring the fanboys and girls out of the woodwork. I still hate when a topic is derailed.

...Defensive? And here I thought I was being offensive against their posts.;p

Yes I have been a member of this site for nearly a decade now and I stand by my position: You can enjoy a game and still bee critical of it.

...And yes, if they were correct in their observations of the intent of this thread, then they would have a point. But they weren't and they aren't.

Sorry for the format of my posts. I'm making them from my phone this morning.