Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why did the Developers try to deceive us with the fake aim based combat?

MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387

I dont understand the point of that.

Why not just have Tab-Target like it actually is?

Not a knock on the game's other aspects and fun value, but seem to be an insult of our intelligence, as if we wouldn't notice the difference.

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

Comments

• free2playfree2play Member UncommonPosts: 2,043
    It is tab targeting. When you have 3 targets facing you and you need to cycle through them to kill them, that is not reticular combat. There needs to be a cone based AoE relative to the swing for it to be aim based. The swing can't ignore all but one mob at a time.
  • darkheart84darkheart84 Member UncommonPosts: 84
    I knew something felt odd about it, apart from the fact that it feels like you're hitting air (what is collision detection)
  • baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311

Originally posted by MMOExposed
    Why did the Developers try to deceive us with the fake aim based combat?I dont understand the point of that. Why not just have Tab-Target like it actually is?Not a knock on the game's other aspects and fun value, but seem to be an insult of our intelligence, as if we wouldn't notice the difference.

you seem to be taking it personal. i don't think they are trying to insult anyone's intelligence. it's more likely that they are trying to keep the feel of an elder scrolls game rather than full on tab targeting without having to aim at all.

because IMO the ranged combat in skyrim would suck horribly bad in an mmo like this, especially in mass pvp.

• CalypsxCalypsx Member Posts: 38
    I don't see what's wrong with it, i'm having a lot of fun with the blocking as well.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] CommonPosts: 0
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • lunatiquezlunatiquez Member UncommonPosts: 381
    Originally posted by free2play
    It is tab targeting. When you have 3 targets facing you and you need to cycle through them to kill them, that is not reticular combat. There needs to be a cone based AoE relative to the swing for it to be aim based. The swing can't ignore all but one mob at a time.

Well, Blade & Soul has the very same system, auto-targeting like ESO. However, it does better because you can hit several enemies at once if they're on your weapon's reach.

Why can't ESO do the same? Ask them.

Note : I'm not talking about the flashy skills nor animation. Targeting.

• kkarrabbasskkarrabbass Member Posts: 152
    Originally posted by inemosz

Well, Blade & Soul has the very same system, auto-targeting like ESO. However, it does better because you can hit several enemies at once if they're on your weapon's reach.

I do believe one of the reasons could be that you have some skills damaging more than one opponent. Designing targeting as you suggested would make those skills redundant.

Originally posted by kkarrabbass

I do believe one of the reasons could be that you have some skills damaging more than one opponent. Designing targeting as you suggested would make those skills redundant.

Fair reason.

However, B&S and many other non-targeting games are also have that kind of skills & targeting with no problem. They could buff the AoE skills damage and/or buff the mobs' HP. Everything is possible.

• whisperwyndwhisperwynd Member UncommonPosts: 1,668
     It is what it is. I went into beta without expectations and just played what it was. It's playable and fun being subjective, each will determine that for themselves...
    Originally posted by whisperwynd
     It is what it is. I went into beta without expectations and just played what it was. It's playable and fun being subjective, each will determine that for themselves...

Indeed. Sadly it's not about expectations, it's just that some people have played better games.

Ignorance is bliss I think.

Indeed. Sadly it's not about expectations, it's just that some people have played better games.

It is to some. Those people that have played better simply need to return to said games and all is well. Bemoaning the lack of anything they can't have in games while having it others is rather silly and pointless.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

I've played better games than Mount and blade yet I still loved every moment of it. Same could be said for many other titles, your post makes no sense.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• ComafComaf Member UncommonPosts: 1,150

I dont understand the point of that.

Why not just have Tab-Target like it actually is?

Not a knock on the game's other aspects and fun value, but seem to be an insult of our intelligence, as if we wouldn't notice the difference.

I pay a lot more attention now to combat...loving it.

• NotimeforbsNotimeforbs Member CommonPosts: 346

No.  People have played games they like better.  I play lots of games.  TESO is far from the bottom of my list of best MMO's or best games in general.  It's definitely the best MMO I've played in a LONG time, and it is definitely one of the better gaming experiences I've had.

There's nothing wrong with TESO's targetting.  It's your expectations.  I never had to TAB target a single time.  And I never had an issue with hitting my mark.  All I had to do was aim at my target and press the button.  It obviously wasn't Call of Duty aiming precision.  Anyone who thinks it should be has unrealistic expectations.

For starters, this game isn't designed just for people with hyper bad-ass reflexes.  It's designed for everyone - ES fans and MMO players alike.  They are trying to bring both groups in.  And I think if people would take a practical approach to that fact, and base some reasonable expectations on it... they would see it actually works very well.

As for TAB targetting, a lot of that also has to do with managing between Healing your teammates vs attacking your enemy.  That's all it is.  That's why it's there.  It's so you don't have to constantly switch back and forth with the reticule - because this isn't just designed for the hyper-badass reflex guy.  Other people have to play, too.

• sketocafesketocafe Member UncommonPosts: 950
    I had no trouble using abilities on specific ranged targets without tabbing over. That's just ranged as well, with the lock on dealie it's a lot closer to the shitty old ways than melee is. What problems were you having with the aiming again?
  • tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227

Why chose the system they sid... if i should guess...

A: To make it more reliable as far as hit detection goes.

B: To make combat more tactical

C: To give more flavour and role to skills

That is my guess any way.

This have been a good conversation

Originally posted by kkarrabbass

Fair reason.

However, B&S and many other non-targeting games are also have that kind of skills & targeting with no problem. They could buff the AoE skills damage and/or buff the mobs' HP. Everything is possible.

Those are not AoE skills, but skills with damage distribution. And your buffing suggestion  would lead to game being even  more mundane.

My point is that the game is still in beta and open for changes/optimizations. If you've been reading the news and the latest PST patch notes, so far they've read the feedbacks and revamped the animations and many other things.

If they can make it better why do you so against it?

If the they make the game better, it'll lead to more players, isn't that a good thing?

My point is that the game is still in beta and open for changes/optimizations. If you've been reading the news and the latest PST patch notes, so far they've read the feedbacks and revamped the animations and many other things.

If the they make the game better, it'll lead to more players, isn't that a good thing?

Improvements on bugs and clunky animations is always good. Changing things because alot of vocal ppl that 'prefer' a said feature is not always doing the genre a service. 

Saying, however, a game should have this instead of that and post about it with venom in the words is either trolling or indeed fell prey to high expectations not being met. 

I'm not speaking of valid complaints of CTDs (for launches) or broken quests needing fixes, but the run of the mill preferences and then saying 'This game sucks' or 'It'll fail' because it didn't have them. 

Wasted energy IMO. Life's too short to get worked up over game features.

• mcrippinsmcrippins Member RarePosts: 1,626

Improvements on bugs and clunky animations is always good. Changing things because alot of vocal ppl that 'prefer' a said feature is not always doing the genre a service. 

Saying, however, a game should have this instead of that and post about it with venom in the words is either trolling or indeed fell prey to high expectations not being met. 

I'm not speaking of valid complaints of CTDs (for launches) or broken quests needing fixes, but the run of the mill preferences and then saying 'This game sucks' or 'It'll fail' because it didn't have them. 

Not only that, but people some people don't seem to know the difference between their personal preference and an actual problem with the game. Inemosz seems to think that it's a problem that targeting is the way it is. This wasn't an accident or a mistake. It's how they wanted it to be. I like it. Some won't. To try and change such a large mechanic at this point in the game would be absurd. Especially to something so generic as tab targeting. Soft targeting works fine. I personally think it's necessary for archers. Pin point accuracy in certain areas would be extremely difficult, and not fun for most people that enjoy the archer class. Tab targeting seems like it would just be straight up boring. This mechanic seems to be the best system they could have done for archers. This is just an opinion.

No, I am not against it. I am just trying to consider situation that some of us (possibly including myself) might underestimate cleverness of developers. Maybe, just maybe their choice may grant us more gratifying and diversified play stile on a long run.

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719

It's a conspiracy.... and why do you capitalize "developers" the way you capitalize God but not gods? ... just curious

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

Originally posted by Iselin

It's a conspiracy.... and why do you capitalize "developers" the way you capitalize God but not gods? ... just curious

So, new religion! New prophet!

• PigozzPigozz Member UncommonPosts: 886

Its sad that Tabula Rasa pulled this off much better years ago .. God I miss that game :(

I think I actually spent way more time reading and theorycrafting about MMOs than playing them

• DignaDigna Member UncommonPosts: 1,994
    Originally posted by mcrippins

Not only that, but people some people don't seem to know the difference between their personal preference and an actual problem with the game. Inemosz seems to think that it's a problem that targeting is the way it is. This wasn't an accident or a mistake. It's how they wanted it to be.

You pretty much hit it. If 1000 people say 'yes we want' and 100K say 'no we don't want' guess who is going to win? The devs have their own metrics. If too many are voting against (or for) something and its reasonable, they seem to be doing things in the prevailing directions. The starter areas for instance.

So many people found them boring/slow they....took them out. Personally I disagree with this  and will be doing the areas without qualms. The majority spoke and the devs listened.

If the majority asks for tab targeting (since there IS a light form of it - Tab lock vs tab targeting) I see it as a future option. If most don't mind the soft targeting (I don't) it will stay the way it is.

My personal opinion may be THE great change the game needs......but it probably isn't.