Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SoE new Zombie MMO called H1Z1

Comments

• SabiancymSabiancym Member UncommonPosts: 3,150

Wow people....you do know that SWG was more than just Star Wars right?  If anything, the Star Wars aspect of the game was secondary.  If SWG fans were all about the IP, than why would the game tank the second they implemented the NGE?  They didn't remove Star Wars iconography, if anything, the NGE added more.  Yet everyone quit.  It's really not that hard to understand.  SWG was about gameplay.  Sandbox gameplay.  It doesn't matter what the backdrop was.  

That is what Smed was getting at.  It's amazing that it even has to be explained.

I'd play a Hello Kitty mmo if it had all the features of pre-cu SWG.  I really think that's the problem with mmo's and mmo players today.  Everything is gambled on the IP, the surface of the game.  Which may get people in initially, but it always falls flat on their face because no one remembered to add substance.  It doesn't matter how cool the IP or original universe the MMO is set in, people will get used to it and become bored.  It's community, economics, PvP, end game PvE, meta gaming, etc. that keeps an MMO going.

If they get the sandbox mechanics right.  I'll be the first to play a zombie MMO.

• GardavsshadeGardavsshade Member UncommonPosts: 907
    Originally posted by FinalFikus
    Originally posted by ste2000

Are you sure it isn't a hoax?

2 Hoaxes with the same name?

That would be diabolic..................... no definitely that's the new SoE MMO

And dedicated to the swg fans that haven't found a game to call home since 2005?

zombie MMO? not interested. PASS.

There is no list of features for MMOs, no matter how complete or perfect that would overcome my disdain for the zombie genre.

@Sabiancym ... AND I would NOT play a Hello Kitty MMO even if it was made like original SWG.!! The IP does matter for me.

Virtual World + Story/I.P. + Gameplay / Features + Ingame Social/Grouping. All or nothing. Gameplay by itself is not enough, no matter how good it is.

• HarafnirHarafnir Member UncommonPosts: 1,350
    So I am guessing skillbased, craftingoriented, with the ability to build houses and defenses, when he talks about "SWG". That part I like. Zombies? Not so much. pretty much anything but zombies would have been fine. Heck, Sharknado influenced had even worked better. Or John Carter influen..... Wait, no. Not that. Not that, ever...

"This is not a game to be tossed aside lightly.
    It should be thrown with great force"

• ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194
    Originally posted by firefly2003

And dedicated to the swg fans that haven't found a game to call home since 2005?

You do realize that an actual SWG2 is not possible right?

EA bought Star Wars rights for the next 10 years............ forget about Star Wars Galaxies

Also you know that everything that comes out of Smedley mouth needs to be translated into real world language........... so it could be everything.

That is not entirely true Disney retain rights to make games outside of EA here is a press release back from May of last year..

I don't want to start another discussion explaining why is not possible to have 2 Star Wars MMO developed by different Publishers running at the same time.

I spent lots of time few years ago when SWG closed, trying to explain how Licensing work.

The reason why SWG closed was because SWTOR was launching around the same period.

Publishers spend lots of money to buy a license, they don't want to compete with other Publishers that sell similar products, that's the point of buying a license, which is not only buying the permission to use the IP, but also to use it exclusively

Of course Disney can develop certain type of games or even sell other licenses to other publishers, but they cannot develop another MMO until EA own a license to do so.

• IkifalesIkifales Member UncommonPosts: 305

A Walking Dead type universe could have extremely deep social struggles and dynamics in the community. And in a SWG style sandbox MMORPG?

Hell yes!

I hope the OP is right.

DayZ is cool but it still can be run on private servers and is not really an MMO.

FE was a neat idea but it was too craptasitc of an implementation.

A zombie survival AAA Sandbox MMORPG...there is not a single game like that.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by dumpcat

Jeff Strain's Undead Labs is making the same thing but for consoles only

http://www.tentonhammer.com/undead-labs/interviews/jeff-strain/May-16-2011

At the Lab we refer to the game we are making as a “survival sandbox” game.

We want to drop you into the heart of a zombie apocalypse and let you put your personal survival plan to the test in an open world,
    with no predefined quest paths, no levels, no corridors, and no canned character progression; just you, your plan, your equipment, and your wits.

• xeniarxeniar Member UncommonPosts: 805
    Originally posted by Nadia

We want to drop you into the heart of a zombie apocalypse and let you put your personal survival plan to the test in an open world,
    with no predefined quest paths, no levels, no corridors, and no canned character progression; just you, your plan, your equipment, and your wits.

issnt that talking about state of decay?

Did that not flop? Or was that a diffrent game?

• aikatearsaikatears Member UncommonPosts: 33
    Originally posted by xeniar

Originally posted by Nadia

issnt that talking about state of decay?

Did that not flop? Or was that a diffrent game?

Not flop really nice game, the devs have plans on making a mmo game bigger version of state of decay. So far its the only one planned.
  • R.LimaR.Lima Member UncommonPosts: 135
    Smedley just answered some questions over at Twitter. It will not be a sci-fi or a western theme. At this point, I am quite sure it will be zombies.
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    SOE always strikes me as a company that tries to profit off of whatever is hot at the time.......Zomibes....Like that hasn't been done a million tiems already but if they can make a few bucks off it why not?
  • atuerstaratuerstar Member Posts: 234

I do so hope you are wrong.

Another zombie game - Im tired just typing it. I wont even touch upon how it dehumanises sickness and makes it allowable to murder the diseased. Instead I'll gladly watch that overused trope bandwagon trundle on by. Too many good and interesting games to pay attention to.

• AntiquatedAntiquated Member RarePosts: 1,415
    Originally posted by asrlohz
    The market is a bit saturated with Zombie games. I doubt it will be in demand when the game comes out.

The market is a bit saturated with Fantasy games. I doubt...oh, wait...

• XanothXanoth Member UncommonPosts: 116

The entertainment industry as a whole (not just games industry) has already shown us they aren't interested in new, taking risks or anything of that nature, what we're getting is reboots, remakes and more of the same.

I wouldn't be surprised if we get a zombie game from SOE over this, as over saturated as that market already is. Player cities and deep crafting could make it appealing enough to get involved with.

I'm not overly put off by that, I'm certainly not excited either... but I'm really bothered if this is what Smedly is talking about that SWG fans should be excited for...

If this is the bone that SWG fans have been thrown, honestly it feel like it's aimed at the balls.

This isn't the sandbox i'm looking for.

oow look, droids.

o/
  • Force_FireForce_Fire Member Posts: 145

Your statement isn't accurate...However,

I will say this, I think you're right about it not being SWG2. As much as I want it, I don't think Disney wants two SW MMORPGs out there. It's like you say.

"A Zombie Game" (all but confirmed)

• Righteous_RockRighteous_Rock Member RarePosts: 1,234

Zombies - think about them - usually slow, usually unresponsive to pain - usually trying to eat you - usually you want to get away.

Now - think about a real life outbreak of an infectious deadly disease - Think "The last of Us" 

Quarantines - people killing people, people hiding their disease - a race for the cure -  World Wide epidemic. 

The "diseased" for all intensive purposes are real life Zombies.

Zombies are not in just because it's a fad, Zombies are in because they can become reality!!! 

Honestly,

I loved SWG because it was set in the STAR WARS universe. That was the big draw for me. However, I wouldn't mind a "ZOMBIE" game as long as it was a "TRUE SANDBOX" experience with AAA money and hardware behind it. If it could be everything the Pre-CU SWG was without the bugs, sure I'd play it.  

I think that's what Smed was getting at. This will be an updated SWG with a Post Apocalyptic skin.

• LazzaroLazzaro Member UncommonPosts: 548

Originally posted by Force_Fire
    Honestly,I loved SWG because it was set in the STAR WARS universe. That was the big draw for me. However, I wouldn't mind a "ZOMBIE" game as long as it was a "TRUE SANDBOX" experience with AAA money and hardware behind it. If it could be everything the Pre-CU SWG was without the bugs, sure I'd play it.  I think that's what Smed was getting at. This will be an updated SWG with a Post Apocalyptic skin.  

It's going to be an FPS though.

Originally posted by Lazzaro

Honestly,

I loved SWG because it was set in the STAR WARS universe. That was the big draw for me. However, I wouldn't mind a "ZOMBIE" game as long as it was a "TRUE SANDBOX" experience with AAA money and hardware behind it. If it could be everything the Pre-CU SWG was without the bugs, sure I'd play it.  

I think that's what Smed was getting at. This will be an updated SWG with a Post Apocalyptic skin.

Well, I'll say this...

If SOE really wants SWG players to "COME HOME", this won't have a single FPS feature attached to it. If I can recall correctly, the dreaded NGE had an FPS function. We all know how that little experiment ended.

• LazzaroLazzaro Member UncommonPosts: 548

Originally posted by Lazzaro   Originally posted by Force_Fire Honestly,   I loved SWG because it was set in the STAR WARS universe. That was the big draw for me. However, I wouldn't mind a "ZOMBIE" game as long as it was a "TRUE SANDBOX" experience with AAA money and hardware behind it. If it could be everything the Pre-CU SWG was without the bugs, sure I'd play it.   I think that's what Smed was getting at. This will be an updated SWG with a Post Apocalyptic skin.  
     Well, I'll say this...

If SOE really wants SWG players to "COME HOME", this won't have a single FPS feature attached to it. If I can recall correctly, the dreaded NGE had an FPS function. We all know how that little experiment ended.

I agree with you, but smed said it was an FPS instead of 3rd person.

Originally posted by Force_Fire Honestly,   I loved SWG because it was set in the STAR WARS universe. That was the big draw for me. However, I wouldn't mind a "ZOMBIE" game as long as it was a "TRUE SANDBOX" experience with AAA money and hardware behind it. If it could be everything the Pre-CU SWG was without the bugs, sure I'd play it.   I think that's what Smed was getting at. This will be an updated SWG with a Post Apocalyptic skin.  
     Well, I'll say this...

I agree with you, but smed said it was an FPS instead of 3rd person.

I guess I won't be "coming home" afterall.

Of course Sony is set to release their version of the Oculus Rift Virtual Reality Headset at GDC as well.

MMORPG + FPS + VR?

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387
    I am surprised that this site has less insider leaks than other game sites.

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

Originally posted by MMOExposed
    I am surprised that this site has less insider leaks than other game sites.

Agreed, it's been on lock down for sure.

• FinalFikusFinalFikus Member Posts: 906

Honestly,

Well, I'll say this...

A first person function? If you can just hold the button down instead of clicking?

"If the Damned gave you a roadmap, then you'd know just where to go"

• ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495

Building a society/community was to me what SWG was about. Living in that virtual universe. Sure a big + it was in one of my most beloved universe's

Re-build society in a zombie effected sandbox game world with SWG feature's could make some interesting game.

So wile at first I thought no way this could atract me as a former SWG Vet when thinking about most of SWG community/social feature's. The more I think about it it might even work out.