Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Very disappointed, a solo mmo.

Comments

• MikePaladinMikePaladin Member UncommonPosts: 592
    Originally posted by freege

Feels like its been built for the consoles not the PC, WvW looks the same old, No idea what there is to do at level cap.

Doubt i will purchase it.

To conquer castles  with most realistic siege and walls damage and huge fights ? OK nothing to do...  Sir you can go and play farm vile in archeage  I exited that game after 15 minutes

• sethman75sethman75 Member UncommonPosts: 212

Its not the game for you then OP.

Move on

• Flyte27Flyte27 Member RarePosts: 4,574
    I feel the same as the OP except that I can enjoy the solo content and the game world to an extent.  At least the artwork is really nice and the stories are decent.  I'd rather see a world where you are dumped in with no quests and everyone just did things together, but it doesn't appear that that's going to happen again anytime soon.  To many people are against having no quests and having to interact in a PvE environment.
  • GinazGinaz Member RarePosts: 2,470
    Another one that complains about soloing when there are easy ways to group up to do content.  If anything, the OP is engaging in self imposed forced soloing.  If you don't have any friends or a guild to play with, then that's your fault, not the game's.

Is a man not entitled to the herp of his derp?

Remember, I live in a world where juggalos and yugioh players are real things.

• Flyte27Flyte27 Member RarePosts: 4,574
    Originally posted by Ginaz
    Another one that complains about soloing when there are easy ways to group up to do content.  If anything, the OP is engaging in self imposed forced soloing.  If you don't have any friends or a guild to play with, then that's your fault, not the game's.

You really shouldn't need friends or a guild to group in an MMO.  You should be able to jump into the world, see others doing various things you would like to do, and walk up to them and ask them if they would like to group up.

• Professor78Professor78 Member UncommonPosts: 610

Guess what, the only thing making it a solo player experience is yourself....

I have noticed few things that have tweaked my interest to try and give players to make a more MMO feel. Notably for me the lack of global AH.

I think this is a great idea and can't wait to see where it goes. This may drive more of a required economy - and player interaction.

And @ poster who did not like the UI, I prefer it, I can actually see whats on the screen - which is why I am there, not to choose which of the 5000 buttons i want to press - obscuring the immersion.

Oh and it will be moddable, don't like it - change it..

Core i5 13600KF,  BeQuiet Pure Loop FX 360, 32gb DDR5-6000 XPG, WD SN850 NVMe ,PNY 3090 XLR8, Asus Prime Z790-A, Lian-Li O11 PCMR case (limited ed 1045/2000), 32" LG Ultragear 4k Monitor, Logitech G560 LightSync Sound, Razer Deathadder V2 and Razer Blackwidow V3 Keyboard

• jdlamson75jdlamson75 Member UncommonPosts: 1,010
    Originally posted by MrG8
    Originally posted by WellzyC

Very disappointed, was hoping for a classic feel.

Oooh go make your bad flaming review and cry like everyone else, there's a lot of others MMOs out there, I'm sure some will suit you! Sadly this one wasnt your MMO!

He wants World of Warcraft: Elder Scrolls Edition.

• LisaFlexy22LisaFlexy22 Member UncommonPosts: 450
    Reason 4 and 5 really don't exist beyond the starter islands - unless after that point you still just choose on your own to play in a straight line from quest giver to quest giver and don't explore.
  • nate1980nate1980 Member UncommonPosts: 2,063
    I didn't group even once during my time in this beta weekend. I was too busy getting to know the game. However, I actually enjoyed myself for the most part. I plan on playing with a friend, so we'll see how phasing effects that, but I don't mind soloing anymore. Being forced to solo since 2005 has gotten me used to that idea, plus I enjoy the "no pressure" atmosphere soloing provides when you don't have the time to group or the patience to deal with dildos that night.
  • GinazGinaz Member RarePosts: 2,470
    Originally posted by Flyte27
    Originally posted by Ginaz

You really shouldn't need friends or a guild to group in an MMO.  You should be able to jump into the world, see others doing various things you would like to do, and walk up to them and ask them if they would like to group up.

You can still do that.  You just can't force people to group up with you which seems to be what you want.

Is a man not entitled to the herp of his derp?

Remember, I live in a world where juggalos and yugioh players are real things.

• RebelScum99RebelScum99 Member Posts: 1,090
    The phasing is a major, major problem with this game.  I've enjoyed playing it, and I love the feel of the game, so I've pre-ordered.  But the phasing...yeah, they went seriously overboard with it.  It's fine for the story aspect of the game.  In fact, it helps make this game probably the best story-driven MMO I've ever played.  But it is NOT good for the multiplayer aspect at all.    
  • Ramonski7Ramonski7 Member UncommonPosts: 2,662
    Originally posted by Matticus75
    Originally posted by timidobserver
    So, the OP cannot understand why an Elder Scrolls game has solo friendly content. Am I the only one that isn't surprised that the MMO version of one of the most popular single player games ever has solo friendly content?

I think want the OP really wants, is the game should be more like a sandbox

If that's the case he better get use to playing solo.

Very disappointed, a solo mmo

umm so was UO, SWG and AC what's your point?

"Small minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas."

• KorususKorusus Member UncommonPosts: 831
    I can sympathize with the OP as far as wanting a classic MMO. The older I get the more I have learned to enjoy games for what they are rather than trashing them for what they arent. Thankfully I am a huge ES fan and can enjoy the dialogue and lore. Works for me. One day there will be a classic MMO and I will prolly play that too.

----------
    Life sucks, buy a helmet.

• TrionicusTrionicus Member UncommonPosts: 498

I really like The Elder Scrolls series, so my biggest concern was that this mmo would delay the next single player release. I didn't even care to try the beta, I didn't even download the client for the first beta weekend  :

Anyway, I tried it and it looked just like every other mmo I've played for the last 10+ years. There were a few things I didn't like about ESO that also stood out to me and screamed cash grab, like the fact that they jacked the music from Skyrim, that was pretty ****ing lame. Lack of player housing, no real loot dropped off npc mobs, unlike the real series, just general stuff like that, nothing major per say.

What I actually liked? Well, nothing. I'm halfway out of the mmo door. It's not that I dislike anything specific, I'm just done with mmos in general. I find that things like immersion and exploration have been much more satisfying in single player games. I mean, am I missing something, it's still /r to reply to whispers and still /invite to get someone in your group, still the same HP / Mana / Endurance bars right? There isn't any awesome Bioshock type powers, I can't make mobs kill each other and then commit suicide when they're done, can I? In DAoC you could mez a mob in the world and make it a pet until you logged out, can you do that in ESO? I honestly don't know, someone can tell me. Probably summoned pets though... That's new.. lol

If I'm going to play the same shit all over again and again and again, level 1, tattered robes and rusty sword training lightsaber bullshit you better fucking pay me this time around, because I aint paying for it.

As far as I know, which I don't know much but, Bethesda didn't make this, so, I don't really give a f*** about it other than that it if it's too popular it may kill single player TES games, so I guess... I do care because I have a vested interest in it's failure.

• WarWitchWarWitch Member UncommonPosts: 351

Don't be dissiapointed, it playes like the single player games they have made in the past I suspect that's the crowed they are appealing to.

• laokokolaokoko Member UncommonPosts: 2,004

probably not a bad thing, seeing how many copies skyrim sold.

i wonder how they goign to keep people playing with solo content though.  Besidew the pvp

• shadow9d9shadow9d9 Member UncommonPosts: 374
    I enjoyed the game from what I played of it, but I agree with a lot of what the OP wrote.  Why do you HAVE to do the quests?  Can't we just explore and kill mobs for xp?  The xp from mobs is pathetic.  I wished that the terrible "stories" in MMOs were removed.  It is an MMO, not a single player.  The story is garbage.  I am not a unique hero in this world that needs a dedicated story.  Also, quit wasting money on the voice overs.  I don't care what these lame quest givers say.  I want money to go towards making  a massive world, where I can gather a group, pick a direction, and just explore, kill mobs, and get XP.  I don't want to bounce from bad quest to bad quest.  MMOs are NOT single player games!
  • shadow9d9shadow9d9 Member UncommonPosts: 374
    Originally posted by Ramonski7
    Originally posted by Matticus75
    Originally posted by timidobserver
    So, the OP cannot understand why an Elder Scrolls game has solo friendly content. Am I the only one that isn't surprised that the MMO version of one of the most popular single player games ever has solo friendly content?

I think want the OP really wants, is the game should be more like a sandbox

If that's the case he better get use to playing solo.

Very disappointed, a solo mmo

umm so was UO, SWG and AC what's your point?

Read more than just the title next time.

• GhavriggGhavrigg Member RarePosts: 1,308

Few MMO's these days are group-oriented outside of instances/dungeons and PvP. Why would you expect otherwise, ESPECIALLY in an Elder Scrolls game?

It might not be as player interactive as you want, but to expect otherwise these days from a AAA company is... well, not the smartest thinking.

You have to look to Indy or Kickstarter MMO's for the type of gameplay you want. AAA Developers aren't going to put millions of dollars into a niche market.

• PalaziousPalazious Member Posts: 162

I pretty much agree with the OP.... it's a single player quest grinder.  A great MMO if you enjoy quest grinding....sucks if you don't.   I personally don't enjoy it... completing one quest after another makes me want to throw things.

What I do find interesting is how if you point this out then there are those that say "but you can adventure and explore!"....in which you can find other quests to grind.

Face it... about the only way to get exp is to grind the quests.

I did grind it to 10 then did 3 levels in AvA.  I do think this might have some potential (if they fix the lag) and might make it worth it for me.

IMO, nothing more then SWTOR with a pretty cool AvAvA zone.

Palazious <The Vindicators> Darkfall
    Palazious r40, rr45 SW War
    Palazious 50 Pirate PoTBS
    Palazious 35 Sorcerer Vanguard
    Palazious 75 wizard EQ
    Paladori 50 Champion LOTRO
    Poppa Reaver bugged at rank15

• flguy147flguy147 Member UncommonPosts: 507
    What I find funny is all the old school gamers always complain about not having choice and then a game gives you a choice to go solo or group they complain.  And there is forced grouping, its called dungeons.  You don't do them you lose skill points which gives you abilities so you don't have a gimp character.  To join certain guilds you have to group or you don't continue their quest line.  So to say there isn't forced grouping is bs, there is never a thing called forced solo.  If you want to group, then group.  Nobody is stopping you from grouping.  And like I said you will be forced to group in some cases.  A game that revolves around forced grouping 24/7 will die very fast.  If there was the demand for it then it would be made because all these companies want to make money.  People need to get over their days of gaming over a decade ago.  I miss the music I grew up on but I don't go to current music forums and whine about how they don't make music like they use to. 
  • lunatiquezlunatiquez Member UncommonPosts: 381

Well, you can't please everyone.

It's the developer's choice that they're going to cater the casuals. It means that the casuals are the better market for them.

• mastersam21mastersam21 Member UncommonPosts: 70

I agree with the OP on almost every point he made. I leveled to 25 with a few friends once we started playing on different times the phasing become a big problem when he wanted to play together again. This game most definitely feel like a solo grinder which I expected coming into it, but I didn't expect simple grinding with friends would be such a pain. The questing is standard fare disregarding the bugs here and there. While I disagree with Skyrim being all that tactical , the combat is ESO seem like they are trying to trick players into thinking its very action based as hovering your cursor over things just select it, little to no skill shots. Being able to swap weapon sets did pick up the pacing a bit on the bright side.

I didn't get much of a chance to try the PvP so I will reverse my opinion on that, but so far it does feel like a single player game with a sub.

• EQBallzzEQBallzz Member UncommonPosts: 229
    Originally posted by WellzyC

Very disappointed, was hoping for a classic feel.

You wont like my review of the game, and you may even think I am being far too critical. But I wanted to get this off of my chest and talk about the reasons why I am disappointed in this game.

I started to form this impression a long time ago, however, I was tied by the NDA. I will try not to make this too long, but I have a lot I want to say.

I am very disappointed:

Reason 1: Solo... again: The game revolves around the solo experience. If you are like me and come from games like EQ, DAOC, these solo centric games are very underwhelming. The game phases everything, almost every quest affects what phase you are in. You will never see the same people twice, and the game does not have any social aspects. Outside of clicking a LFG panel, the game has zero social systems. Why mmo developers dump so much money into solo gameplay I will never understand.

Reason 2: Questing, all questing: The only real way to get EXP is to do what you have been doing in every single mmo since 2005. Grab quests, skip the voice overs, kill x, return. The questing in this game is so tedious and unexciting.

Reason 3: very sloppy and dull combat: Skyrim's combat pretty fun, it was tight, and strategic. ESO's combat is a sloppy version of that, mixed with mmo tab targeting. About 20 minutes into the game I was already extremely bored with my character.

Reason 4: what I loved about Skrim, is not in ESO: Exploration in ESO is very underwhelming. Exploration in ESO is about as exciting as it was in SWTOR.

Reason 5: MMO on rails: This sort of ties in with reason 1. The game is all scripted, besides going to Cyrodil and doing some PVP. Other than that, you jump from quest to quest following a primary story line. This “story driven mmo” trend destroys any excitement mmos have for me. Devs dump all their resources into writing story lines and making cut scenes, which makes the actual game really shallow.

Reason 5: Players are just scenery: there is no reason in this game to communicate or team up with a anyone. Simply use a dungeon finder for a group, and that's it. I thought SWTOR was anti social, Eso is far worse. This game does not promote any player collaboration. Dark anchors and dungeon finders are not it.

Reason 6: My BIGEEST reason.. phasing: The point of phasing is to try and make the world feel like it is changing, but it destroys immersion. The experience isn't shared and that's what makes phasing so pointless in an mmo. It feels so artificial because the phase I am seeing is different for everyone else, so it isn't truly what the world is. It separates players and makes the game feel really lonely. Phasing has no place in an mmo where it is supposed to be a shared world.

ESO is a single player game with a subscription fee.

Conclusion: For me, mmo excitement derives from shared experience with players, exploring a world that is unknown and dangerous. An MMO that tries to force feed a story, or create a game that is phased with scripts will not create lasting gaming memories.

The bottom line is, if you did not like swtor, you will not like this. Besides combat, it has almost the exact same game design; solo questing and scripts, with virtually no community.

Yay. Another disingenuous and  false presentation by another ESO hater.

1) It's not just solo. There is solo content and if you didn't level past 10 you didn't need anyone else. Once you get farther into the game there are public dungeons, open world bosses, group dungeons across 3 factions, alliance war, dark anchors, adventure zones. The lack of an AH system will require more interaction with others. I don't agree with this but selling from a guild store outside the guild will require a pretty big group effort. The crafting/harvesting system will be integral to progression and should provide a fair amount of interdependence between players. Crafted items will have the creators name on them which will likely contribute to this interplay between buyers and sellers. It's beyond ironic that you mention DAoC here considering the PvP is most like DAoC and hardly "solo" but that didn't deter you from smearing ESO.  If you gave a fair or accurate assessment you wouldn't say this is a solo game. 

2) The questing is one of the best parts of this game. It's done very well so if you skip the voiceovers and turn them into meaningless fetch quests that's on you not the game. *Most* people will enjoy this aspect of the game. What did you expect, exactly?

3) I agree that the combat could use some tightening up and tweaking and I'm confident that will happen but to say Skyrim was good whereas this isn't is a stretch. Skyrim (and Oblivion) were always panned for their combat as being rather clunky. ESO combat is very similar in it's execution but I would say it's better because you have options to interrupt, block and power attack. Skyrim/Oblivion combat was always their weakest point so again..nice try smearing ESO.

4) You must not have played past level 10. The fact that you would even compare this game to SWTOR just clearly shows that you either don't know what you are talking about or are just throwing in hateful comments to smear the game. Nice try but anyone who has played both of these games knows how utterly false this comment is. There is more exploration in this game than any MMO I can think of. People will be pleased with the exploration aspect and rewarded with chests, experience, skyshards, harvesting and many amazing details for exploring the world outside the standard points of interest on the map (unlike SWTOR).

5) This is just a rehash of your first point. Further proof you are merely trying to pile on hateful comments to make the game look worse because you don't like it or have some ulterior motive.

6) This is the only point I would somewhat agree with. I don't mind that they have phasing but I think their implementation of it needs some work. It's not always working as expected and chops things up in ways that are disruptive to group play. That being said the devs have been quite responsive so I have confidence they will improve it.

Conclusion: You hate this game for whatever reason or have ulterior motives and want it to fail so feel the need to smear the game and turn people away. Maybe you haven't seen enough of the game. Maybe it's just not your type of game. I don't know what the reason is but if you are going to post negative comments about it at least post *accurate* comments. The game is buggy. The animations need work. The combat could be tightened up a bit. The phasing. All accurate complaints and all are easily fixable.

The bottom line is this game is NOTHING like SWTOR. If you like ES and/or MMOs the game is worth a try. It might not ultimately be your type of game but don't base your decision on misinformation and blind hate from posts like this.

• CryptorCryptor Member UncommonPosts: 523

It almost sounds as if you played a different game than I was.

How on earth is this "solo" game?  I don;t even know where to start as everything in the OP I have to strongly disagree with.