Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Something I have not experienced in PVP for a long long time...

JyiigaJyiiga Member UncommonPosts: 1,187

So this evening I decided to break away from the normal zerg and seek out quests in Cyrodiil. I wandered slowly into enemy territory using a lot of sneaking. I managed to score a few quests and eventually I landed at Weynon Priory (yes the same one in Oblivion).

I'll try to leave out any quest spoilers here, but I did a few tasks for them outdoors and then they send me off to an Ayleid ruin that was even deeper in enemy territory.

I'm the green arrow in the top left and my side is the yellow keeps...

I pushed toward the ruin, killing several necromancers and undead along the way until I came to the entrance... Which was covered up in more mobs than I cared to deal with. However, I am a patient person so I started my stake out. I waited no more than 10 minutes and a fair sized group of Covenant members strolled up and took care of the monsters. They then vanished into the dungeon.

Now... I figured this would be the case in PvP, but this was the first time I had confirmation. After slipping into the dungeon behind them, I soon realized that like PvE I was sharing this dungeon with my enemy. An enemy that just happened to out number me 3 to 1 and were all 5-7 levels higher than I was.

So I focused on the quest... Lurking in the darkness as they moved from room to room. Scouting for my objectives, two bodies that I needed to burn.

Not only did I manage to go undetected by every single monster in the place... I was also able to evade the enemy players and let them do the dirty work for me. Slipping in behind them and burning the corpses after they had cleared out the enemies for me.

Comments

• GrunimGrunim Member UncommonPosts: 172

Awesome post, thanks for sharing!

This is just the kind of thing I'm looking forward to in Cyrodiil.

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] UncommonPosts: 0
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • AzzrasAzzras Member UncommonPosts: 407

Does not look good for your team, but excellent use of stealth!

• JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849
    Cool story, That sounded like  fun. How exactly does sneak work around other live players ? Do you remain unseen until detected by a npc or are you only invisible to NPC's
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

• JyiigaJyiiga Member UncommonPosts: 1,187
    Originally posted by thunderC
    Cool story, That sounded like  fun. How exactly does sneak work around other live players ? Do you remain unseen until detected by a npc or are you only invisible to NPC's

Basically you have to stay out of LOS. Using distance and the environment to accomplish this. A bit easier to pull off in the open versus a cramped dungeon full of things that want to eat you.

• CouganCougan Member UncommonPosts: 422

I've noticed weaving horseback players are a real danger to stealthed characters as they cant get out of the way in time out on the field, then when they're spotted its time to run lol.

The PVP is what you want it to be really and can be a solo players dream. I like to do a bit of both solo and large scale keep sieges.

I also found myself at Weynon Priory the last beta weekend, I was from Daggerfallt though so wasnt too dangerous but was pretty nostalgic. I didnt take the quest but I looted the buildings.

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719

Great post!

I didn't go as deeply behind enemy lines as you did but I turned my scouting mission quest into a 4 hour Cyrodiil Solo PVE adventure. Even managed a few one on ones which, had I lost, would have cost me a good 30 minutes of running and sneaking to get back...talk about incentive! :)

This is the best PVP/PVE zone I've ever played in.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• Covet78Covet78 Member UncommonPosts: 149

This is no different then a rogue or druid doing his dailies in WOW on a pvp server with his faction being the outnumbered side.

Nothing new here. What you just described is what thousands of people just experienced today, and everyday in world of warcraft while they do their daily's on pvp servers. 

I'm not crapping on ESO. I've preordered, but there's nothing special here. Same old same old. Just a new coat of paint.

Originally posted by Azzras

Does not look good for your team, but excellent use of stealth!

It turned around!

Originally posted by Covet78

This is no different then a rogue or druid doing his dailies in WOW on a pvp server with his faction being the outnumbered side.

Nothing new here. What you just described is what thousands of people just experienced today, and everyday in world of warcraft while they do their daily's on pvp servers. 

I'm not crapping on ESO. I've preordered, but there's nothing special here. Same old same old. Just a new coat of paint.

Last I checked not everyone had stealth in wow. Last I checked dungeons were not shared in wow.

Don't glaze over the highlights :p

• CromicaCromica Member UncommonPosts: 657
    Those other players must have been blind because it is very easy to spot people with those giant icons above their head, or maybe they saw you and just didn't care.
  • MpfiveMpfive Member UncommonPosts: 308

This is very different to WoW...sigh. But i guess you will always get someone to try bring the post down like yourself

• AvsRock21AvsRock21 Member UncommonPosts: 256
    Originally posted by Cromica
    Those other players must have been blind because it is very easy to spot people with those giant icons above their head, or maybe they saw you and just didn't care.

Did you miss the part where he said he was sneaking? Sneaking is an in-game mechanic.

Maybe you don't understand how sneak functions exactly? They would only see the icon if they detected me... which means either a mob uncovered me or they uncovered me. Hidden = invisible.

Originally posted by AvsRock21

Did you miss the part where he said he was sneaking? Sneaking is an in-game mechanic.

I was unaware that using the actual crouch would remove the icon above your head. My only experience with the pvp so far was 2 hrs of running back to the battles after repeatedly being nuked down while trying to get in to melee range on my DK... after that I have no desire to ever go back in the except for gathering and pve.

• olepiolepi Member EpicPosts: 2,828

Reminds me of being in Darkness Falls, when it switched in DAOC. I stealthed, and watched/followed the enemy.

That *was* a long time ago!

------------
    2024: 47 years on the Net.

I was unaware that using the actual crouch would remove the icon above your head. My only experience with the pvp so far was 2 hrs of running back to the battles after repeatedly being nuked down while trying to get in to melee range on my DK... after that I have no desire to ever go back in the except for gathering and pve.

Sounds like you shouldn't be giving up just yet. If you did not have a full grasp of sneak, imagine what else may need to master. Though in a lot of ways pve is likely a better training ground.

• Threatlevel0Threatlevel0 Member UncommonPosts: 179

Never been a huge fan of the Hunt for Red October PvP.

I just checked out the Beta this weekend and didn't do any PvP in Cyro so I'm not going to make any assumptions though.   But just in my head, I'm imagining if one player can hide in the nooks and crannies I could only imagine groups of players able to do the same, one on top of another with there being no player collision detection, especially with everyone being able to Stealth and ambush.  

/shrug, maybe it'll be nothing like that, and the stealth will be quite useless in practical situations, larger numbers, and there's nothing that instantly stealths/invis's a player right?   To get out of combat instantly and into stealth?

Originally posted by Jyiiga

Sounds like you shouldn't be giving up just yet. If you did not have a full grasp of sneak, imagine what else may need to master. Though in a lot of ways pve is likely a better training ground.

For me Zerging is the absolutely most boring thing in the world to do, if I come across other players while gathering or questing I will fight as best I can to survive, but I will never be apart of another zerg as long as I live.

• mcrippinsmcrippins Member RarePosts: 1,626

Oh it's a different experience. Played both examples of what you're talking about. Not to the extent of what the OP had to go through, but it is a very exciting thing. Not just 'doing dailies', but creating an adventure out of it. I would hate to have your perception on things. You seem like you are lacking imagination and immersion. I kinda feel bad for you :/

But let me ask you this.. Is driving a Honda Civic the same thing as driving a Ferrari for you?  They're both just cars. Is living in an apartment different from living in a mansion? They're both just shelter. The way we perceive things and experience them is what makes memories memorable. 

For example - in Vanilla WoW - My clan (alliance) would group up and run out to the Barrens. Take over some random empty tower and the horde would start fighting us for it. It would start out small, then before you knew it, 50-100 players would be out there in this massive and chaotic battle. Before that it was just an empty tower. 

• DeaconXDeaconX Member UncommonPosts: 3,062
    Great post - the PVP stuff is already generating some really great stories. :)

Why do I write, create, fantasize, dream and daydream about other worlds? Because I hate what humanity does with this one.

BOYCOTTING EA / ORIGIN going forward.

• SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466

I agree.  Doing spy missions in Age Of Wushu is hard to beat or going on a kidnapping mission in another city and then having to escape with a bounty on your head.

Not that i'm knocking the OP because it's still a cool story and the OP has imagination.

• deakondeakon Member Posts: 583
    Originally posted by Threatlevel0

Never been a huge fan of the Hunt for Red October PvP.

I just checked out the Beta this weekend and didn't do any PvP in Cyro so I'm not going to make any assumptions though.   But just in my head, I'm imagining if one player can hide in the nooks and crannies I could only imagine groups of players able to do the same, one on top of another with there being no player collision detection, especially with everyone being able to Stealth and ambush.  

/shrug, maybe it'll be nothing like that, and the stealth will be quite useless in practical situations, larger numbers, and there's nothing that instantly stealths/invis's a player right?   To get out of combat instantly and into stealth?

One word: magelight

Every group will be running with someone that has it on their bar for roaming around in pvp. It reveals stealth players within 12m and gives a 7% boost to spell crit chance and with the morphed extra 10% (total of 17%) spell crit chance bonus when you morph it to inner light, a lot of magic users in general will likely use it for both pvp and pve.

• ReticulataReticulata Member UncommonPosts: 98

Can someone please elaborate on these open dungeons?

I only played the equivalent of 3 or 4 days, only 2 of which were spent in PvP. I never ran across any of these dungeeons, and would love to know how many there are in there, and what the mechanics are?

If this is going the way of Darkness Falls in DAOC, the pvp in this game could be even better than I thought. Very impressed so far.

SOE changes name to Daybreak games, cause dey break games.
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Originally posted by Reticulata

Can someone please elaborate on these open dungeons?

I only played the equivalent of 3 or 4 days, only 2 of which were spent in PvP. I never ran across any of these dungeeons, and would love to know how many there are in there, and what the mechanics are?

If this is going the way of Darkness Falls in DAOC, the pvp in this game could be even better than I thought. Very impressed so far.

Not quite Darkness Falls yest, but that's definitely also coming - most of us think that the DF-like dungeon will be the Imperial City itself which is not accessible at the moment.

But small open dungeons are everywhere in PVE zones and also in Cyrodiil, They also often have Sky Shards in them that grant you 1/3 of a skill point each so there is motivation for going in there. Cyrodiil has 45 Sky Shards about half above ground and the other half in those public dungeons.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED