Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New To ESO - This Game Is Doomed

124»

Comments

• marganculosmarganculos Member UncommonPosts: 334

Originally posted by Sequitur
    ...there is no way people are going to be paying $15 a month for this...

lol, speak for yourself.... i was BIG hater of ESO till i get into umm let's say different beta than "only beta weekend" its kinda boring on first few low levels and starting islands... but.. well i cant say much because there is still certain NDA, its different game after +25 level :P

also dont blame clunky ui and crappy chat OMG there is FKING TONS OF ADDONS

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

OP, welcome to mmos. Not every mmo has to have the exact same feature.

Although i think the combat is fantastic. I agree that there is clunkyness in it. Where? in the targetting system. I admit that Zenimax shit all over the place with this targetting. Any good action combat game has free form combat and no target aquisition in order to use an ability.

Thats the only problem i have with TESO´s combat, the targetting. The rest of the combat feels great.

• CetraCetra Member UncommonPosts: 359

ESO is not a bad mmo. There are many ppl who enjoy the game.

Just because someone dont like it doesnt mean the game is doomed or sucked like these ppl who have to make such an offending thread title.

get out of eso forum. stop wasting time on something you dont like. thanks.

• ShavaKaShavaKa Member UncommonPosts: 91

I don't think it will fail, it's bound to carry subs and SE buyers. It's far different than what has been coming out, even though people are saying that's nothing special. I find it refreshing and a cross between action with classic RPG elements. It's also not so theme park. The pace for me is great and acceptable but I'd have to agree that not everything about the game is great.

However, a great part about this game is that they can change things and Zeni is listening, they can make elements better and patch content will show that. What they can't do is please everyone who's used to that "give me action and stuff now so I can beat it as fast as possible" mentality. Zeni wants to find a middle ground between MMORPG and an ES game. It will be more RPG than most are used to, it has a deep lore and requires you to read at times.

Another good part is the skill system way of leveling up and the subtle exploration within the game such as hidden quests and locations etc. In fact I think the exploration should be greatly expanded on.

Some things I felt need to be further thought out like loot and runes should be more scarce, and some crafting should be harder like enchanting. A number of bugs still need fixing yet but that will come. You should also be able to kill useless NPCs/animals and go to jail for wrong doing such as killing or stealing when around NPCs. The stealth element and the doing of bad things of the ES series seems to be missing in ESO. Instead I feel rather railroaded into the good guy roll.

Overall I do enjoy the beta so far, look forward to seeing what they do - aside from that I'm waiting around for EQN anyway and it will be a game to carry me over till then, who knows maybe ESO will morph into a great MMORPG one day.

• LaterisLateris Member UncommonPosts: 1,830
    Every MMO "RPG"  that has been released since the last decade has been doomed. Then after released there are the routine posts "How to save the game".   I think this game will be niche after the hell that comes with releasing any AAA MMO.  I bet it does very well on the console.  
  • AzzrasAzzras Member UncommonPosts: 407
    Originally posted by Dein

I don't think it will fail, it's bound to carry subs and SE buyers. It's far different than what has been coming out, even though people are saying that's nothing special. I find it refreshing and a cross between action with classic RPG elements. It's also not so theme park. The pace for me is great and acceptable but I'd have to agree that not everything about the game is great.

However, a great part about this game is that they can change things and Zeni is listening, they can make elements better and patch content will show that. What they can't do is please everyone who's used to that "give me action and stuff now so I can beat it as fast as possible" mentality. Zeni wants to find a middle ground between MMORPG and an ES game. It will be more RPG than most are used to, it has a deep lore and requires you to read at times.

Another good part is the skill system way of leveling up and the subtle exploration within the game such as hidden quests and locations etc. In fact I think the exploration should be greatly expanded on.

Some things I felt need to be further thought out like loot and runes should be more scarce, and some crafting should be harder like enchanting. A number of bugs still need fixing yet but that will come. You should also be able to kill useless NPCs/animals and go to jail for wrong doing such as killing or stealing when around NPCs. The stealth element and the doing of bad things of the ES series seems to be missing in ESO. Instead I feel rather railroaded into the good guy roll.

Overall I do enjoy the beta so far, look forward to seeing what they do - aside from that I'm waiting around for EQN anyway and it will be a game to carry me over till then, who knows maybe ESO will morph into a great MMORPG one day.

I've read this from other posters several times but I personally cannot cite it, but they have said that stealing will come into the game post-launch.  I imagine this will have some type of consequence if caught by the NPCs.  I don't know about being able to kill random NPCs, though.  I am fairly confident that theft will be implemented, though, based on the number of people that have stated it.  To reiterate, they said it would be post-launch...the same time they introduce the thieves' guild.  Maybe someone else can cite this?

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860
    Originally posted by Lateris
    Every MMO "RPG"  that has been released since the last decade has been doomed. Then after released there are the routine posts "How to save the game".   I think this game will be niche after the hell that comes with releasing any AAA MMO.  I bet it does very well on the console.  

It should. if it takes off like Skyrim did.

XBox 360 59 %
    Playstation 3 27 %
    PC 14 %

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• timidobservertimidobserver Member UncommonPosts: 246

snip

In most of the complaint threads, I could find a lot to agree with and disagree with. However, in yours the only thing I agree with you on is the quickslot wheel. It will likely be awesome for console players, but it is utterly useless for PC players and needs to be scrapped entirely.

As far as the other complaints

-I don't need a mini-map in ESO. I sort of like wondering around being lead only be what is in front of me. It sort of gives the game an Elder Scrolls vibe. 

-Phasing with a group is buggy, and I am pretty sure I read somewhere that they are working on it I imagine that they are working on it. Be sure not to let something that isn't working as intended in a beta play a major role in your decision

-I don't really need Portraits. It's not like  they are some kind of gamebreaking feature that the game absolutely must have. 

-Combat takes some getting used to. I felt the same way you do at first, but I got comfortable with the combat mechanics after I got my second toon to level 10. That said, they definitely need to do some polishing on the combat, but it isn't that bad once you get comfortable with it. 

- I don't think the ChatWindow is enough to decide whether the game is worth it or not. Also, ESO has a very very very rich API for creating mods(Better than WoWs IMO.) I've looked over the API documentation, and I think that it wouldn't be that hard for someone to create some kind of chat box mod that shows the information you are requesting. 

• DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873
    Originally posted by SpottyGekko

The only thing that's "doomed" is your future relationship with ESO ! image

You clearly prefer other types of MMO designs and play styles. What puzzles me though is that you seem to be angry because ESO was not made the way you like your games to be ? 

Op dont seem angry to me and made some very valid points. Why not try to counter the points rather than just telling him he is 'angry'? well because even you know that he has some valid points. The UI is made keeping consoles in mind so it can be a bit frustrating for MMO players. Console players won't even care much about it.

Only because he pointed out some valid points which are negative doesn't mean he is angry. Nice try though.

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

Originally posted by Doogiehowser

You clearly prefer other types of MMO designs and play styles. What puzzles me though is that you seem to be angry because ESO was not made the way you like your games to be ? 

Op dont seem angry to me and made some very valid points. Why not try to counter the points rather than just telling him he is 'angry'? well because even you know that he has some valid points. The UI is made keeping consoles in mind so it can be a bit frustrating for MMO players. Console players won't even care much about it.

Only because he pointed out some valid points which are negative doesn't mean he is angry. Nice try though.

Why don't you think console players will be interested in one of the only AAA mmorpgs on the market?

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• rodarinrodarin Member EpicPosts: 2,611
    Originally posted by Amjoco

Why don't you think console players will be interested in one of the only AAA mmorpgs on the market?

Just because its labeled as AAA doesnt make it one.

Originally posted by rodarin
    Originally posted by Amjoco

Just because its labeled as AAA doesnt make it one.

Why don't you think console players will be interested in one of the only mmorpgs on the market?

edit: FYI, AAA isn't a scoring system.

• ShadanwolfShadanwolf Member UncommonPosts: 2,392

You said it all.

• IGaveUpIGaveUp Member Posts: 273

If the consolers love it, then TESO is far from doomed.

If the consolers don't love it, then ZOS made some serious miscalculations.

We don't find out how the consolers respond until they get in game, so for now it's all speculation.  At least that's how I see it.

• JudgeUKJudgeUK Member RarePosts: 1,676
    Originally posted by Azzras

Throw this out there:  ESO devs removed the minimap intentionally.  They didn't like it.  The feedback they received was that it wasn't needed.  Everyone at the time said the compass was the way to go.  Maybe the devs will re-enable it as a toggleable (spelling?) option.  Maybe someone will make a mod for it.  I don't know.

I just wanted to clear it up, though, that the devs removed the minimap.  It's not something they overlooked.  They took it out.

Thanks for this. I wasn't aware of the development history with the compass v map.

The problem with player feedback is the often conflicting opinion of likes and dislikes.

They are never going to make everyone happy with a "we'll do it this way and not that" outcome. I have suggested in other posts the option of a toggled mini-map, which would appear to satisfy both camps.

Instead of compass v map give a playstyle choice of compass or map.

Maybe a clever add-on will arrive to give players this choice.

• Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829

Every MMO is "doomed" according to someone every day. 

Yet most of them are still running.

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• sojurnesojurne Member UncommonPosts: 8

So I'm new to ESO, and this is my first time playing ESO Online. Having played it this weekend, there is no way people are going to be paying $15 a month for this. It is going to be a very small player base that is shelling out $180 a year for this frustrating experience.

And this game is exactly that: frustrating. From terrible menus and UI, to clunky combat, to the awful phasing, to terrible targeting mechanics, there isn't much to like.

Right from the start I disliked the first person versus "cursor" UI. It's totally unintuitive, and every time you want to do something with the menus or with groups, etc., it takes extra frustrating steps to go to cursor, access your menus, start a group, even access the chat window via mouse, or access toon and item screens. Hated it, hated it, hated it. Just trying to invite someone to group is a pain in the arse, you can't simply right click them and add them to group, or even see what their name is via a portrait that you can select and keep on the screen.

UI and menus, just awful. Totally unintuitive, seems like only five slots for abilities, and then that utter garbage quickslot wheel which, I guess, is just for potions and food. Why are players forced into this awful UI, with almost no customization?

Questing and grouping -- not happening, ever. This plainly is a solo "mmo." I tried to start many groups, I don't think people even knew they were invited. Many, many invites, ignored. And why bother? Every single time I did manage to get a few people together, people are phased. So we would enter the same cave or location, and boom, people disappear, due to some particular quest subpart that none of us could figure out. Phasing in this game just sucks terribly, ruining any chance of cooperative play. And the bad thing is, phasing is everywhere in this game. From a group play perspective, it's gamebreaking.

Portraits. Where are the character portraits -- or anything -- concerning my character and other characters. Do I have buffs? Do I have a debuff? What is happening to me? What happened to someone else? Zero easy-to-see or use visual cues concerning player status. Heck, it was a pain in the arse just to see what someone's name was. It sucks. It just plain sucks.

Map and lack of minimap. After the first day of beta play, man did I (and two of my friends) get sick and damn tired of hitting "m." In a city, hit m. Leaving a city, hit m. Shrine, m. Wilderness, m. Need a way around this lava, m. Looking for road, m. Travling anywhere? Get ready for m m m m m m m m. This game seriously needs a minimap or overlay. It needs something, because hitting m all day long makes me want to hit another button called "quit."

Combat, clunky as hell, not sharp and crisp. You often can't tell if a particular spell or ability did, or was going to, land, and again, the lack of any real information about monster status and debuffs via a portrait made it awful boring, awfully fast. Hitbox and ranges, difficult to judge with this fourth-rate combat system.

Professions and crafting, oh man. What in the hell is going on? The whole system is a massive feeback loop of misery and boredom. First, there's no intuitive way to see where you are or where you should be progressing with any profession. Out in the field or away from tables, you can't do jack. Just terrible making players run around looking for a particular crafting table, or a cooking fire. I can understand having some location requirements, but seriously, not being able to do any profession levelling while questing or in a dungeon? Inability to make anything on the fly if a player needs it while grouped or questing? Sucks.

Chat window -- needs way more information. For example, if you put the game on auto-loot, and then you loot, "stuff" goes in your bag. You don't know what or how much, you just here the coin sound effect. How exciting. Developers, how about telling the players, via the chat window, what it is they looted? How about group invites and declines -- why is this not in the chat window? (Perhaps in the chat toggles there is a way to make this happen, but by this time I was so annoyed at the game, didn't even bother.)

Wanted to like this game, but I don't see people paying for this annoying player experience.

Well i am glad you are concerned in how I spend my money ... just because you are a delusional  nitwit with no imagination,   that is the problem with most people these days ,  no imagination, ..  just the me me give me now blah blah blah....

embrace change and get an imagination...

nuff said .

• yaminsuxyaminsux Member UncommonPosts: 973
    To OP. Bye. No one is forcing you to play or pay for subs.
  • LaromussLaromuss Member UncommonPosts: 331

Everything the OP has problems with is a preference not a requirement, in a lot of the cases he's had problems looking through the menu options and turning on certain elements will solve the problem.  While other issues of finding vendors, crafting etc, is an issue easily solved by remembering stuff, a little bit of memorization doesn't hurt in fact it gets the player to learn to work for stuff instead of throwing everything in your face and giving you a I WIN button.  FYI if you want to see other players names turn it on in the options, it goes to say you didn't spend any time exploring anything and just figured they would just give you everything,  try making an effort and you might actually enjoy the game.  

Clunky combat?  Are you sure you're playing the same game as everyone else is?  The combat is so smooth, quick, reactive  with so many options at how a combat encounter can follow through.

And yes this is still early on and as the game progresses there may be more changes based on player feedback of the majority without ruining the core mechanics and gameplay of the game.  

• DrDwarfDrDwarf Member Posts: 475

I agree with you on almost everything except the crafting.