Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New To ESO - This Game Is Doomed

Comments

• Professor78Professor78 Member UncommonPosts: 610

@OP

I guess you would prefer another clone of X?

And then you could also moan that there is nothing different....

Core i5 13600KF,  BeQuiet Pure Loop FX 360, 32gb DDR5-6000 XPG, WD SN850 NVMe ,PNY 3090 XLR8, Asus Prime Z790-A, Lian-Li O11 PCMR case (limited ed 1045/2000), 32" LG Ultragear 4k Monitor, Logitech G560 LightSync Sound, Razer Deathadder V2 and Razer Blackwidow V3 Keyboard

• LisaFlexy22LisaFlexy22 Member UncommonPosts: 450
    I like how people decide a game is doomed because they personally don't like it.  Weird how there are a lot of mmo's out there I don't like but seem to be doing quite well despite my dislike of them.
  • SgtPepperUKSgtPepperUK Member UncommonPosts: 30

Some aspects of the UI aren't as intuitive as they could be but other than that I don't have a problem with it.

And in 2014 do we really need character portraits?

Think about it, nobody wants to die, there's rules to this game son, I'm justified.

• Ender4Ender4 Member UncommonPosts: 2,247

The game is derivative and just downright bad but it will survive off of the IP if nothing else. I imagine it will sell well, keep a good player base for 3 or 4 months and go B2P with a cash shop within a year. A success but not a massive one.

• harvest151harvest151 Member UncommonPosts: 217

I have to agree. The combat is horrible, clunky, and has no real CRACK! to the hits and blocks.... not to mention you don't even know if you hit them wiout looking at a health bar or portrait.  Oh. and the Staffs.  STUPID.  I don't want a damn staff I want casting like in ESO-Skyrim.  2 hands.  Forcing mages to use staffs as their primary "go to" is just awful. It makes me forget I'm even playing an ES game.

Combat

minimap

better and more functional chat

better grouping, and staging areas

fix that god awful crafting system. 

• hammarushammarus Member UncommonPosts: 196

I wouldn't say its doomed. Being an over 2000hour Skyrim player and having played all other ES titles, I really really really, wanted to love this game.  I just don't.  It is not that it isn't enough like Skyrim or any other ES title.  Exact opposite really.  There is plenty of Elder Scrolls lore. Its just that none of it is meaningful. 

So for me the following are issues:

Immersion is non-existent.

Clunky combat mech.

Little to no explorer content.

Linear "rail" quest line with linear boring quests and click thru dialog.

Multi platform game  when it should be broken into multiple servers serving each type with there own UI.

The following are high points:

PvP even though it is just like GW2 its very fun.

Gear graphics are good.  I dislike Final Fantasy-ish weapons that are twice as tall and twice as wide as the character.

Scenery is good (minus the draw distance which takes away the vista views).

Boss encounters are tactical especially when you do group encounters.

• crasset15crasset15 Member UncommonPosts: 194

Didn't they mention in an interview last year that crafting would be heavy on experimentation and using the right amount of each ingredient to get the best end result.

The crafting in this beta = choose the type of item you want from a list, press + to increase its level requirement by 2 until it reaches your current level, press craft. That's all.

There's been some serious dumbing down going on I see.

• Jimmy562Jimmy562 Member UncommonPosts: 1,158
    Originally posted by crasset15

Didn't they mention in an interview last year that crafting would be heavy on experimentation and using the right amount of each ingredient to get the best end result.

The crafting in this beta = choose the type of item you want from a list, press + to increase its level requirement by 2 until it reaches your current level, press craft. That's all.

So there isn't the possibility that the crafting system goes into much more depth the higher you get? I doubt you'll get the best possible items by simply clicking the plus icon until it's the right level.

• AratakiArataki Member UncommonPosts: 239
    Originally posted by Jimmy562
    Originally posted by crasset15

So there isn't the possibility that the crafting system goes into much more depth the higher you get? I doubt you'll get the best possible items by simply clicking the plus icon until it's the right level.

Alchemy and Enchanting have experimentation to them.

It seems the list of "standard" features grows with each gaming year, and yet when a game comes out that ticks all those "standard" boxes...people then complain that it feels like the same game.

This seems strange to me. I thought you wanted the same exact game with minor fluff. Is a linear progression game going to feel any less like a linear progression game with real time aiming? Like really.

• KorususKorusus Member UncommonPosts: 831

Predicting a new MMO is going to fail...now that's really going out on a limb. :)

What with all the successful, stable, bug-free AAA MMO launches that keep coming year after year, are you really sure that now is the time to lay it all out on the line and bet on a new MMO crashing and burning?  Alright, its your money.  I'm just saying, save it for a sure-thing somewhere down the road.

----------
    Life sucks, buy a helmet.

• warriorpoet7warriorpoet7 Member UncommonPosts: 41

@ #1 - Ah the WoW Generation ... old EQ/DAoC would had made you choke on your own vomit then. 

My only beef with ESO? The hand-holding in quests ... markers leading you to every single objective. Basically a toddler can play it ... like MMOs in general these days. I say dump the Connect-The-Dots tracker-setup ... 

Yes, the gear looks a bit painted on ... not sure how I feel about that overall. But, what can ya do.

• nate1980nate1980 Member UncommonPosts: 2,063

OP- 

While I had my own set of frustrations, my overall experience was pleasant. I can't wait for headstart. So while I admire your dedication to the game as shown by your lengthly post: Don't let the door hit you on your way out!

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    As with typical MMORPG form, the negative posts focus on everyone's wants and desires rather than simply their own. There's no need to magnify your own opinion in an attempt to encompass the majority.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by warriorpoet7

@ #1 - Ah the WoW Generation ... old EQ/DAoC would had made you choke on your own vomit then. 

My only beef with ESO? The hand-holding in quests ... markers leading you to every single objective. Basically a toddler can play it ... like MMOs in general these days. I say dump the Connect-The-Dots tracker-setup ... 

Yes, the gear looks a bit painted on ... not sure how I feel about that overall. But, what can ya do.

Turn it off...

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Most of OPs issues are easy to fix, many MMOs improve the UI with time and adding a optional minimap is no problem.

Clunky combat and phasing is a lot worse though, the combat system is harder to improve then the UI and phasing is very hard to replace with something else.

Quests is impossible to replace and either you like them or not. You just can't change them to DEs or mob-grinding this late in development and a revamp that completely this late would be a new NGE to the players that do like them.

I don't think this game is doomed at all, but I don't think it is the next Wow either, the phasing is really the part where many MMOers will be turned off. It is still way better than TOR but if it can really survive on P2P in the long run or if it will change to F2P depends on how it does on consoles. If the game can get the console players to love it it can be huge, I don't think they have the same feeling about phasing as many of us PC gamers have.

Besides, this is a MMO and they are living things. If they update the things that needs be updated it should still attract many players. Never doom a game until it been out a year, many people here doomed GW2 as well and it  still have plenty of players because the devs support the game and updates it.

I believe that ESO will be a good addition to the other MMOs out there and will be one of the larger games out there a year from now, unless the devs messes up and forget to support the game once it is released.

• MpfiveMpfive Member UncommonPosts: 308
    The beta build we are playing now is the old one filled with bugs, the patched up to date version is ment to alot smoother with alot of issues sorted out:)
  • MpfiveMpfive Member UncommonPosts: 308
    Originally posted by harvest151

I have to agree. The combat is horrible, clunky, and has no real CRACK! to the hits and blocks.... not to mention you don't even know if you hit them wiout looking at a health bar or portrait.  Oh. and the Staffs.  STUPID.  I don't want a damn staff I want casting like in ESO-Skyrim.  2 hands.  Forcing mages to use staffs as their primary "go to" is just awful. It makes me forget I'm even playing an ES game.

Combat

minimap

better and more functional chat

better grouping, and staging areas

fix that god awful crafting system. 

One of the best crafting systems I've seen for along time. What don't you like about it, that  you can't make everything instantly and you have to work and put time into making good gear?

• deveilbladdeveilblad Member UncommonPosts: 193

Well... it's your opinion because I didn't find anything you wrote annoying. I like the quests, I like the combat, I like the crafting, etc.

So don't ask why people would pay $15 a month for this game, because everyone has different tastes, and good luck in your next MMO =D

• AzzrasAzzras Member UncommonPosts: 407
    Originally posted by hammarus

I wouldn't say its doomed. Being an over 2000hour Skyrim player and having played all other ES titles, I really really really, wanted to love this game.  I just don't.  It is not that it isn't enough like Skyrim or any other ES title.  Exact opposite really.  There is plenty of Elder Scrolls lore. Its just that none of it is meaningful. 

So for me the following are issues:

Immersion is non-existent.

Clunky combat mech.

Little to no explorer content.

Linear "rail" quest line with linear boring quests and click thru dialog.

Multi platform game  when it should be broken into multiple servers serving each type with there own UI.

The following are high points:

PvP even though it is just like GW2 its very fun.

Gear graphics are good.  I dislike Final Fantasy-ish weapons that are twice as tall and twice as wide as the character.

Scenery is good (minus the draw distance which takes away the vista views).

Boss encounters are tactical especially when you do group encounters.

What I got out of reading this is:

You want it to be more like an ES game, but you PLAY IT LIKE AN MMO.  (The questing is far from linear imo.  Try playing it like Skyrim and just go a different direction than your current quest *after you leave the prison...bet you find stuff to do and explore...)

As to the multi-platform part, aren't the other ES games on console as well?

Just my 2 cents.

IIRC, Skyrim has quest markers on the map.  And the quest marker was also in the compass.

Anyway, as another poster said you can turn it off in the options menu.

• deveilbladdeveilblad Member UncommonPosts: 193
    Originally posted by Azzras

IIRC, Skyrim has quest markers on the map.  And the quest marker was also in the compass.

Anyway, as another poster said you can turn it off in the options menu.

And also in Oblivion, I'm pretty sure.

• FlawSGIFlawSGI Member UncommonPosts: 1,379
    Originally posted by Rigamortis
    Originally posted by Sequitur

So

This is where I stopped reading.  Anything after this is completely pointless and a waste of time.  It is very simple....either you are gonna LIKE the game or you are NOT.  I don't know why people continue to be compelled to come here and whine about a game like SOMETHING is owed to them.  If you think you can do it better,  go get investors and design one yourself.   Sure,  I can post my concerns about the game as well and why I am not going to purchase it......but frankly,  who cares?  Just more proof the self entitlement generation is worse as ever and your opinion is so important you must start another thread about the same thing that has been started 50950985 times before.  /rant off

-Rig

Because this is a discussion board and if nobody ever posted their thoughts on the material (MMO"S) then the site would be empty and dead. I didn't read it as self entitlement but I will say your response came off as a little defensive and you appear offended by his opinions. Agree or disagree all you want but what good is a discussion if your rant only flames the person and not the topic at all? I guess thanks for sharing.. 

I agree with the OP. I decided this weekend to share the extra key with my lady and see if maybe by grouping in the game, it would improve and it not only made my opinion of the game get worse, but it started a whole new list of reasons I am warning any of my guild members to stay far far away from the game. Phasing was horrid, quests givers were awful because sometimes I would see someone running up to me and she wouldn't. One time we experienced the black arrow disappearing all together for me and not her. Getting together was a pain because sometimes we were both onscreen, and others one of us was represented by a white arrow and nothing more.  Needless to say, she got so annoyed that she decided to only participate on saturday and had no urge to jump back in today. Because I enjoy playing my MMO's with my partner, if she aint happy , then I won't be buying 2 copies and paying for 2 subs.

I even tried the game after level 10 on my character from last beta and the game did not get much better after this point. PvP was kinda fun, but the combat felt rough to me so I couldn't really enjoy that. Let me guess, I need to play to at least 20 now before I have really experienced what the game offers since 15 isn't high enough to form an opinion?

RIP Jimmy "The Rev" Sullivan and Paul Gray.

• SlytheSlythe Member UncommonPosts: 952
    I am very suspicious of how many quests at later levels are buggy, after encountering all the bugged quests in the early levels. By capping people and locking them out of content in the beta, it is obvious (at least to me) that they are hiding something.
  • EladiEladi Member UncommonPosts: 1,145
    Originally posted by Slythe
    I am very suspicious of how many quests at later levels are buggy, after encountering all the bugged quests in the early levels. By capping people and locking them out of content in the beta, it is obvious (at least to me) that they are hiding something.

you clearly have no clue about the eso beta.

1: this is a old version of the game

2: 99% of the quest are NOT bugged.  

3: their phasing system  IS bugged (and already fixed on the newer verson)

4: Trading in this version IS bugged.  fixed in the later version

5: alot of system were turned of in order to focus test purely on player amount on a laggy server (creating more issues whit the phasing engine in order to find the bugs that cause "bugged quest" 

Originally posted by Slythe

Or it could be that they are trying to stress test the servers and the only real way to do that is to keep everyone in a small area....thus not spread out.

Sorry, tinfoil chafes my head.