Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Very disappointed, a solo mmo.

Comments

• AvulAvul Member Posts: 196
    I really don't get it why there are so many people posting regularly in this forum section who obviously hate / dislike ESO. If it's not your style look for something else. I'm not talking about the OP but many others. I see their posts all day long just spitting hate all over. I had exactly zero expectations on this game because there were so many whiners and haters in the last months. After I tried it by myself I had a blast. It's a game for people who are laid back and take their time reading the lore, explore areas far off and want to be immersed. For some kind ESO has grown on me.

Elite: Dangerous - Space Exploration & Trading.

• SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466
    Originally posted by zelaex
    I really don't get it why there are so many people posting regularly in this forum section who obviously hate / dislike ESO. If it's not your style look for something else. I'm not talking about the OP but many others. I see their posts all day long just spitting hate all over. I had exactly zero expectations on this game because there were so many whiners and haters in the last months. After I tried it by myself I had a blast. It's a game for people who are laid back and take their time reading the lore, explore areas far off and want to be immersed. For some kind ESO has grown on me.

At least be honest, you are talking about the OP or you wouldn't be posting in this thread. You had a blast, great for you but some other haven't and are entitled to give their reasons why in a non flaming manner.

This site is not eso.com it's an open forum mmo gaming site called mmorpg.com which allows gamers to post what they want in any of it's forums without breaking the rules.

• ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495
    Originally posted by WellzyC

Very disappointed, was hoping for a classic feel.

Reason 2: Questing, all questing: The only real way to get EXP is to do what you have been doing in every single mmo since 2005. Grab quests, skip the voice overs, kill x, return. The questing in this game is so tedious and unexciting.

I can fully understand that when people have such a limited playstyle, meaning they play the XP game and not really the MMORPG that their experiances will come out as boring to them.

• ImperialSunImperialSun Member Posts: 212
    Originally posted by timidobserver
    So, the OP cannot understand why an Elder Scrolls game has solo friendly content. Am I the only one that isn't surprised that the MMO version of one of the most popular single player games ever has solo friendly content?

If the focus of the game is a solo experience they shouldn't be trying to shoe horn that experience into a MMORPG framework and they sure as hell shouldn't have the temerity to charge a monthly sub for it.

This is exactly why SWTOR failed to live up to most peoples definition of an MMORPG....it was a single player rpg with some multiplayer/co-op modes bolted on to tick the MMORPG box....this game seems to be derived from the same formula which is one of the reasons the move to F2P and cash shop has always been in the plan.

Just like SWTOR subs will die off inside six months and it will be full on F2P with cash shop inside 12 months IMO once people realise it's a shallow and clunky PvE experience with monetised PvP at endgame.

Driz

• eAzydamaneAzydaman Member Posts: 218

I agree. Maaaan I really wanted to love this game. Boring quests, solo oriented, everything marked on the map, generic graphics, handholding etc etc. You HAVE to quest to level and the process is boring as hell. I got to level 10 and the PVP is pretty fun but was unplayable last night due to lag.

I played around with bow, two handed and dual wield, it felt clunky and non responsive. The bow was the worst.

• AvulAvul Member Posts: 196
    Originally posted by SavageHorizon

At least be honest, you are talking about the OP or you wouldn't be posting in this thread. You had a blast, great for you but some other haven't and are entitled to give their reasons why in a non flaming manner.

This site is not eso.com it's an open forum mmo gaming site called mmorpg.com which allows gamers to post what they want in any of it's forums without breaking the rules.

No, I'm not talking about the OP. He has his reasons and this is absolutely okey. I'm talking about the people who spend half their day on this forum section flaming the game. Sure they're allowed to do so. But what's the point raging over ESO over and over again? I mean.. do you have nothing better to do in your life than wasting your free time to deliver hate posts? I don't get it.

Elite: Dangerous - Space Exploration & Trading.

• nerovipus32nerovipus32 Member Posts: 2,735
    Originally posted by dukegr13

I agree with all the points mentioned above but i believe TESO's problem is not just the solo aspect of it, for some people that is ok and i believe the game was made like that for Elder Scrolls fans.

The real problem here is that combat sux royally, its the most unresponsive combat ive seen in an mmo and the graphics are so 2010 that its not even funny. AOC had better graphics and its a 6-7 year old game.  Now if this was some f2p fan service itteration i wouldnt really mind that much. Apparently Bethesda wants to milk everyone that liked Skyrim for a few months then convert it to another F2P shithole that will get dumped after a few years.

I am so sick and tired of these overhyped shitty AAA+ MMO's, so pissed i spent bandwidth downloading that shitty 20gig client and even more that i wasted a day of my life on this game.

Cheers.

Fair enough you might not like the combat, each to his own..But to say the graphics look like something from 2010 makes your little rant lose all merit.

When i see the word sux used while someone is giving their opinion on a game, i find it hard to take that person seriously after that..
  • ApraxisApraxis Member UncommonPosts: 1,518
    Originally posted by WellzyC

Very disappointed, was hoping for a classic feel.

You wont like my review of the game, and you may even think I am being far too critical. But I wanted to get this off of my chest and talk about the reasons why I am disappointed in this game.

I started to form this impression a long time ago, however, I was tied by the NDA. I will try not to make this too long, but I have a lot I want to say.

I am very disappointed:

Reason 1: Solo... again: The game revolves around the solo experience. If you are like me and come from games like EQ, DAOC, these solo centric games are very underwhelming. The game phases everything, almost every quest affects what phase you are in. You will never see the same people twice, and the game does not have any social aspects. Outside of clicking a LFG panel, the game has zero social systems. Why mmo developers dump so much money into solo gameplay I will never understand.

Reason 2: Questing, all questing: The only real way to get EXP is to do what you have been doing in every single mmo since 2005. Grab quests, skip the voice overs, kill x, return. The questing in this game is so tedious and unexciting.

Reason 3: very sloppy and dull combat: Skyrim's combat pretty fun, it was tight, and strategic. ESO's combat is a sloppy version of that, mixed with mmo tab targeting. About 20 minutes into the game I was already extremely bored with my character.

Reason 4: what I loved about Skrim, is not in ESO: Exploration in ESO is very underwhelming. Exploration in ESO is about as exciting as it was in SWTOR.

Reason 5: MMO on rails: This sort of ties in with reason 1. The game is all scripted, besides going to Cyrodil and doing some PVP. Other than that, you jump from quest to quest following a primary story line. This “story driven mmo” trend destroys any excitement mmos have for me. Devs dump all their resources into writing story lines and making cut scenes, which makes the actual game really shallow.

Reason 5: Players are just scenery: there is no reason in this game to communicate or team up with a anyone. Simply use a dungeon finder for a group, and that's it. I thought SWTOR was anti social, Eso is far worse. This game does not promote any player collaboration. Dark anchors and dungeon finders are not it.

Reason 6: My BIGEEST reason.. phasing: The point of phasing is to try and make the world feel like it is changing, but it destroys immersion. The experience isn't shared and that's what makes phasing so pointless in an mmo. It feels so artificial because the phase I am seeing is different for everyone else, so it isn't truly what the world is. It separates players and makes the game feel really lonely. Phasing has no place in an mmo where it is supposed to be a shared world.

ESO is a single player game with a subscription fee.

Conclusion: For me, mmo excitement derives from shared experience with players, exploring a world that is unknown and dangerous. An MMO that tries to force feed a story, or create a game that is phased with scripts will not create lasting gaming memories.

The bottom line is, if you did not like swtor, you will not like this. Besides combat, it has almost the exact same game design; solo questing and scripts, with virtually no community.

In my mind your critics are all reasonable and true to some extent and are more "MMO overall" critics, because more or less any MMO lacks in a lot or almost all those departments. (or name just one game of the last 8 years, which was any better in those parts)

Nevertheless a few additions and especially about the solo/group critic and which ESO may be not that bad as most other games of the last 10 years.

Yeap.. the pve quest experience + phasing is exactly as you said and it really eleminates any group play all together, but you do have later on AvA and you do have Public Dungeons, and you don't have any AH combined with a rather strong crafting(just compared to recent games, because it could be a lot more important).

Those few aspects are social hubs, are possibilities of group play of community building.. and another important part comes into play, which we all cant predict how it will work out.. and that is the megaserver mechanic + friend/similar minded matching. In the few beta weekings almost everything is more about testing out, and not so much about playing the game, building community and the like.. and we can't predict how those matching mechanismn will work out.

With other words in the long run ESO could be slightly better as some MMOs of the recent past and overall a not so bad experience.. especially thinking about AvA.

But the general trend of Solo-Story-Driven-MMOs is a worrying one. Devs wanted to bring in something from Single Player games, but overall they make MMOs a lot more like Single Player experiences and missing the Massive multiplayer part, which should be the outstanding one. I really hope MMOs in the future will cut back those Solo-Story-Driven part and focus more on the Massive Multiplayer part and should better invest in World-Lore-Driven-Story.. with other words story which will affect much more the World and every player can be part of it.. but noone the single super hero of that story.. so that it may turn out for a different experience for all partaking players and will make a more evolving, dynamic world.

Edit: btw. and i will most probably buy ESO. Another question is how long i will pay subscription and this is extremely tied to the AvA experience and how much community ESO will build up. And how well the megaserver/matching mechansimn will work out. (and i don't preorder.. more or less no exception)

• GregorMcgregorGregorMcgregor Member UncommonPosts: 263

You played a totally different game to me then.

It's DAoC polished to a fine shine! Even down to the relics (Scrolls).

All we need is a Dragon open world raid and........

No trials. No tricks. No traps. No EU-RP server. NO THANKS!

...10% Benevolence, 90% Arrogance in my case!
  • ApraxisApraxis Member UncommonPosts: 1,518
    Originally posted by GregorMcgregor

You played a totally different game to me then.

It's DAoC polished to a fine shine! Even down to the relics (Scrolls).

All we need is a Dragon open world raid and........

Yeap.. because he said nothing about AvA(maybe never played it) and you more or less played only AvA and said nothing about the PvE/Solo Player experience. With that said you both don't disagree.

• AcidonAcidon Member UncommonPosts: 796

I would wager that a good 8 out of 10 people that call this a solo/single-player MMO or otherwise bash it as some sort of clone (lol?) never made it to level 10.  hell they probably never made it over level 5. 

I'm guessing they have no idea how much the game (and world) opens up, and how useful and fun grouping/dungeons are.  Oh and possibly how the Beta Weekend Stress Test client is an older build without the quest/mechanic fixes and game tweaks.

It's not going to be for everyone.  I honestly just feel bad for the people that shy away from the game based on the first 3 to 5 levels or even worse, by reviews like this, that may otherwise love it.  But such is the nature of this place.  Some like it, some don't, etc etc.  That's why there's more than one game out there. =)

Best of luck.

• CanibalolerCanibaloler Member UncommonPosts: 136
    Originally posted by Acidon

I would wager that a good 8 out of 10 people that call this a solo/single-player MMO or otherwise bash it as some sort of clone (lol?) never made it to level 10.  hell they probably never made it over level 5. I'm guessing they have no idea how much the game (and world) opens up, and how useful and fun grouping/dungeons are.  Oh and possibly how the Beta Weekend Stress Test client is an older build without the quest/mechanic fixes and game tweaks. It's not going to be for everyone.  I honestly just feel bad for the people that shy away from the game based on the first 3 to 5 levels or even worse, by reviews like this, that may otherwise love it.  But such is the nature of this place.  Some like it, some don't, etc etc.  That's why there's more than one game out there. =)Best of luck.

I really laugh with ppl like you thinking that they ve seen more than others while defending a game. Are you getting payd by doing this or just an idiot?
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Well, this is my first beta weekend, i have one character to level 5 and just left the first starter island in Daggerfall Covenant story.

Pretty much everything in the OP is true, though I felt the exploration was pretty good on the first island, and the crafting looked good though I didn't really do much with it.

There might be good grouping later on, but I had a couple of guildmates playing together who I never ran into due to them being in phases that were ahead of me.

So the game may open up later, the RvR might be great, the dungeons and their grouping could be a blast, but I haven't seen this yet.

Thing is, a I am patient, and expect MMOS to take some time to open up, so I am willing to give it a good try for a month or three to see what it is really like.

Of course if I get to 50 and nothing really has changed then it will be time to move on, but that's ok, I'll have gotten a few months of fun.

But it's pretty obvious that if anyone was expecting this to be a group centric sandbox from end to end then this is not their game.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Originally posted by Canibaloler

I would wager that a good 8 out of 10 people that call this a solo/single-player MMO or otherwise bash it as some sort of clone (lol?) never made it to level 10.  hell they probably never made it over level 5. 

I'm guessing they have no idea how much the game (and world) opens up, and how useful and fun grouping/dungeons are.  Oh and possibly how the Beta Weekend Stress Test client is an older build without the quest/mechanic fixes and game tweaks.

It's not going to be for everyone.  I honestly just feel bad for the people that shy away from the game based on the first 3 to 5 levels or even worse, by reviews like this, that may otherwise love it.  But such is the nature of this place.  Some like it, some don't, etc etc.  That's why there's more than one game out there. =)

Best of luck.

I really laugh with ppl like you thinking that they ve seen more than others while defending a game. Are you getting payd by doing this or just an idiot?

What level did you get to?

• EzhaeEzhae Member UncommonPosts: 735
    Originally posted by Covet78

What did you expect. This is an Elder Scrolls game. An mmo made for Elder Scrolls fans, not mmo fans. 

I'd say Skyrim fans.

As someone who played TES series since Arena, and considers Daggerfall and Morrowind to be the best entries I'm not really that amazed by recent direction the franchise took. Skyrim felt bland already and ESO seems to only take the things I didn't like about it to next level.  

• CanibalolerCanibaloler Member UncommonPosts: 136
    Originally posted by nerovipus32

Originally posted by Canibaloler
    I would wager that a good 8 out of 10 people that call this a solo/single-player MMO or otherwise bash it as some sort of clone (lol?) never made it to level 10.  hell they probably never made it over level 5.  I'm guessing they have no idea how much the game (and world) opens up, and how useful and fun grouping/dungeons are.  Oh and possibly how the Beta Weekend Stress Test client is an older build without the quest/mechanic fixes and game tweaks.   It's not going to be for everyone.  I honestly just feel bad for the people that shy away from the game based on the first 3 to 5 levels or even worse, by reviews like this, that may otherwise love it.  But such is the nature of this place.  Some like it, some don't, etc etc.  That's why there's more than one game out there. =) Best of luck.

What level did you get to?

Lvl 8 till uninstall. But trust me was pretty enough to realize many frustrating things, from combat to console ui crap or all the antisocial the OP mentioned. Does any of this changes if I lvl any further? Nah... I don't think so
  • marcustmarcust Member UncommonPosts: 495

Playing: Darkfall New Dawn (and planning to play Fallout 76)
    Favourite games have included: UO, Lineage2, Darkfall, Lotro, Baldur's Gate, SSX, FF7 and yes the original Wizardry on an Apple IIe

• ImperialSunImperialSun Member Posts: 212
    @Acidon

should it not be the games job to hook us and make us want to play every spare minute we have? If many players are so put off they cannot even force themselves to even get to level 10 how is that anyones failing but the games and its designers?

Especially when the carries requires such a high price point in the first place...

Driz
  • delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081

Well, The hate comes from ALL MMOS ARE MADE SOLO ANYMORE and people are not just mad but real mad because there is NOTHING to play anymore.  Even the good classics are destroyed for one reason or another, either gone F2P or turned easy.

Pre-game prod-cast are soooo deceiving anymore, you cant believe developers. Thy don't lie but the leave important stuff out, they cause hype but let mmo players down in a big way.

I for one am not getting tricked as of late. I knew this was gonna be a solo non mmo like everything of the past two years.  It will be the same for Wildstar....The prod-cast all looks cool but they have nothing to do with the game there just movies for entertainment.

Warhammer started this new age of faking players out and has been going on ever since !!!!

• ArielyAriely Member Posts: 68

for everyone hating on him = the fk? it's his opinion.

anyway i agree with allot of things, i, for one loved skyrim and i had high hopes for TESO  so my first beta was just running around, lvling up, feeling the game, but not enough time to actually " pin " it as bad or good. My second beta weekend/third was different i had spend enought time ingame but untill now it still hasn't pulled me in and left me wanting more.

the combat is a  letdown, the question i dont really mind as a solo-player i dont mind questing at all. but the way they did it that u need a group for some quest-instance sucks big time.

and the amount of mobs running around are pretty low ( well it's the same in eso but yeah)

i wont be buying this game, atleast not now, i'm still playing the beta ( maby more beta's) but for now it's not my thing, at all

• MikePaladinMikePaladin Member UncommonPosts: 592

But I think this is best game in last 6 years best mmo.  played all this one is unique   

Great game at some point it's even cool that you didn't like it just go back to WOW and leave us alone enjoy our epic journy in amazing world of TES lore and amazing quests that LORE MASTER prepared for us. ESO is closest MMO to old concept of RPG.

and I stopped to play beta ) don't want to spoil release.

Oh yeah Sir I don't give a damn about you're opinion if you will die tomorrow I will not even know it and I wouldn't even care. Have a nice day !

• TalulaRoseTalulaRose Member RarePosts: 1,247

Its obvious the OP is shy to the point that they cannot even be social in a make belief world and requires others to go out of their way to compensate.

I have a tip for the OP...........say "Hello" once in awhile, you may be surprised when they say hello back and you find yourself no longer solo.

• freegefreege Member UncommonPosts: 75

Feels like its been built for the consoles not the PC, WvW looks the same old, No idea what there is to do at level cap.

Doubt i will purchase it.

• TalulaRoseTalulaRose Member RarePosts: 1,247
    Originally posted by freege

Feels like its been built for the consoles not the PC, WvW looks the same old, No idea what there is to do at level cap.

Doubt i will purchase it.

Not sure you ever played an Elder Scrolls game before but I played the last 2 on a console...so yes....TESO feels like it was built for a console because they were made with consoles in mind.

See you in game.