Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SOLO/Single Player MMO FTW........

time007time007 Member UncommonPosts: 1,062

To those players who are disappointed and say this game is a Solo/Single Player MMO, please read the below:

Elder scrolls has a 20 year history of great lore, great questing, and great storylines.  That's jut the bottom line of the franchise.  That's the core makeup of the game.  Most of the previous MMOs that have come out the last 5-8 years have bad lore, stupid quests, horrible storylines/plots AND are single player MMOS AND 2 sided pvp

BONUS:  It has 3 sided RVR!!!!!!  Dude its cake WITH frosting AND ice cream!!

This game has, to recap for you:

1.  GREAT LORE

2.  INTERESTING QUESTS (voice acting, rich text, etc)

3.  INTERESTING STORYLINES/PLOT

4.  BONUS:  3 sided RVR

-1.  Downside: Leveling can be single player (like every other MMO released in the last 8 years!)

Dudes, its an ELDER SCROLLS game.  Its about LORE & QUESTING & STORYLINES.  Know what you are buying and playing.  Do some research. 

IMPORTANT:  Please keep all replies to my posts about GAMING.  Please no negative or backhanded comments directed at me personally.  If you are going to post a reply that includes how you feel about me, please don't bother replying & just ignore my post instead.  I'm on this forum to talk about GAMING.  Thank you.

Comments

• JimmydeanJimmydean Member UncommonPosts: 1,290
    Originally posted by time007

To those players who are disappointed and say this game is a Solo/Single Player MMO, please read the below:

Elder scrolls has a 20 year history of great lore, great questing, and great storylines.  That's jut the bottom line of the franchise.  That's the core makeup of the game.  Most of the previous MMOs that have come out the last 5-8 years have bad lore, stupid quests, horrible storylines/plots AND are single player MMOS AND 2 sided pvp

1.  GREAT LORE

-1.  Downside: Leveling can be single player (like every other MMO released in the last 8 years!)

Dudes, its an ELDER SCROLLS game.  Its about LORE & QUESTING & STORYLINES.  Know what you are buying and playing.  Do some research. 

So what you are saying is it's a single player game with a subscription fee? Got it.

• time007time007 Member UncommonPosts: 1,062
    Originally posted by Jimmydean

1.  GREAT LORE

So what you are saying is it's a single player game with a subscription fee? Got it.

Nope.  Learn to read and not make over simplified blanket statements that aren't true.  I said "leveling can be single player"

Also, I think in RVR with 3 sides, there will be others right?  Yep. 

I'd prefer the leveling to also have a mob grinding path to leveling up like Aion, old school daoc etc.  That would be awesome but not many games make grouping grinding exp viable or faster than quest exp.  So what does this game do?  It has richer quests than the other MMO's out there.  I don't mind paying a subscription fee for a great storyline and 3 sided rvr.   

GW2 has 3 sided rvr and no sub BUT I can't get into the GW2 Universe and lore.  It's just all over the place.  Been reading fantasy novels for years and years, and GW2 storylines and plots just aren't up to scratch.  I like high fantasy so I'm not into the heavy pirate themes and flying ships and laser cannons.  That I won't pay a sub for. 

IMPORTANT:  Please keep all replies to my posts about GAMING.  Please no negative or backhanded comments directed at me personally.  If you are going to post a reply that includes how you feel about me, please don't bother replying & just ignore my post instead.  I'm on this forum to talk about GAMING.  Thank you.
  • GurpslordGurpslord Member Posts: 350

Funny, where you found rich lore and great stories with wonderful voice acting I found..

1: Stale, unoriginal stories and quests

2: Mediocre at best voice acting

3: The only lore the game has is that it has elder scrolls in its name. 

Sorry but as a long time Elder Scrolls fan this game doesn't deserve the name.

Originally posted by Gurpslord

Funny, where you found rich lore and great stories with wonderful voice acting I found..

1: Stale, unoriginal stories and quests

2: Mediocre at best voice acting

3: The only lore the game has is that it has elder scrolls in its name. 

Sorry but as a long time Elder Scrolls fan this game doesn't deserve the name.

I found the ingame books and letters and notes to be fine.  Much more detail than any other MMO's ingame lore and text.  Voice acting is opinion based.  But the in-game written documents you find and read are much more in depth than anything else out on the market.  Read the in-game books if you have time. (no sarcasm intended) 

• dukegr13dukegr13 Member Posts: 3

Wrong its not an Elder Scrolls game, its an MMO Elder Scrolls Game. LORE & QUESTING & STORYLINES are not the strong points of an mmo.

What MMO's need to excel are:

good combat/skill system

interesting dungeons and loot

community pvp

character customizability

good/responsive interface

If you have all that maybe you would start caring about quests and lore.

This is not skyrim online with friend pvp battlegrounds, this is a 2014 multiplatform mmorpg which is seriously lacking basic mmo functionality. 90% of the people liking this game are just glamoured by the Elder Scroll title and treat this like Skyrim 2.

• ImperialSunImperialSun Member Posts: 212
    But a lot of the criticism suggests it really is a single player rpg with some multiplayer bolted on to tick the mmo box just like SWTOR. It seems a rip off to have such a high price point AND a sub for an essentially single player experience. Especially with the wave of negative feedback since this weekends beta...just look at how many negative threads have sprung up...

Such a high price point plus incoming monetisation of just about everything indicates to me that Bethesda intend on this veing just another cash cow title...

Driz
  • rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870
    Just because it has "Elder Scrolls" in the title, doesn't mean it's an Elder Scrolls game in essence.  If I made a hamburger and wrapped it in a McDonalds wrapper, it wouldn't make it a Bic Mac.  The only thing that makes this game resemble something from the series is the lore. Which they are hacking up to use in this game. 

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

• nerovipus32nerovipus32 Member Posts: 2,735
    I found the lore and story to be very interesting especially the part where the prophet tells you the story of mannimarco's betrayal which led to the summoning of molag bal. Maybe if people didn't skip through the dialog they might enjoy it more.
  • vmopedvmoped Member Posts: 1,708

All I can say is that regardless of the names/titles you categorize the game into I can say that working with others is possible if you want to, and there is lots of group content the higher level you go.  Unfortunately the stress testers are limited to a level 17 cap currently.  In the end all the matters, to me, is if the game is fun and entertaining.   It is for me, and this is after months of playing on the PTS server.  Even there with a much smaller population grouping happens often and more naturally than most mmo's I have played.  The game does not make you solo or group, the player decides this.  Phasing and solo instances do separate groups temporarily, but this effect lessens as you get higher level.

Remember, no one game will appeal to everyone.  Always vote with your wallets!

Cheers!

MMO Vet since AOL Neverwinter Nights circa 1992. My MMO beat up your MMO. =S

• MikePaladinMikePaladin Member UncommonPosts: 592

I and my friend were separated only 2 times  it happens only in story line and make sens you and he can't be the chosen one at same time.

No offence but I think people who cry about this game are just hypocrites.

• TalulaRoseTalulaRose Member RarePosts: 1,247
    Originally posted by MikePaladin

I and my friend were separated only 2 times  it happens only in story line and make sens you and he can't be the chosen one at same time.

No offence but I think people who cry about this game are just hypocrites.

On this website complaining about games is the thing to do.

• bonzoso21bonzoso21 Member UncommonPosts: 380
    Originally posted by ImperialSun
    ... ... ... It seems a rip off to have such a high price point AND a sub for an essentially single player experience. Especially with the wave of negative feedback since this weekends beta...just look at how many negative threads have sprung up...

Such a high price point plus incoming monetisation of just about everything indicates to me that Bethesda intend on this veing just another cash cow title...

Driz

I understand expecting high quality in exchange for a subscription since other decent MMOs of the last few years have been releasing buy-to-play, but to be fair, the retail price points of almost all new-release games are the same, regardless of genre. I can agree that it kinda sucks MMOs seem to be taking the subscription model and the microtransaction model and combining them to earn as much as possible, though. But with most MMOs peaking in their first few months and then steadily declining, I can't really blame them too much for trying to squeeze as much out of them as they can before they get stuck in limbo, especially with the sky-high budgets of modern game development.

• sethman75sethman75 Member UncommonPosts: 212

Solo based progression is the only reason i would stay subbed.

If you don't like that play the plethora of pvp or group based games out there.

Leave this game for the grown ups

• koboldfodderkoboldfodder Member UncommonPosts: 447

Played the Beta, was an OK game.  Nothing really stood out except the lack of UI which was fine.

I'll try this game when it goes free to play, probably after a year or so.

Originally posted by nerovipus32
    I found the lore and story to be very interesting especially the part where the prophet tells you the story of mannimarco's betrayal which led to the summoning of molag bal. Maybe if people didn't skip through the dialog they might enjoy it more.

+1

• vala2008vala2008 Member Posts: 229

Well game looks amazing but the total lack of stuff to do  is a real problem. the OP says the game is about story and Elder Scrolls lore, well that really does reduce the customer base a huge amount. Sometimes in an mmo you dont want story, or sit through long long long dialogues because you are in a group and friends are waiting to do something fun.

And why the hell is every single quest 'doom, doom comeths, the end is here if you dont release this spirit or stop that ritual' where has the fun gone? why is it all so serious and, yawn, old skool. I have been mmorpging for years and years now and I was so bored of the 'direness' of every quest...it would be ok for a solo adventure over a month but long term....coming home each night to log in to an mmo to be told I have to do something important, REALLY REALLY IMPORTANT OR THE END COMES, every time is just mehhh...learn to smile.

• deakondeakon Member Posts: 583

I think how "good" the lore/story is faction dependant though, I've played all 3 factions to above level 10 and I have to say the EHP is extremely uninteresting up to level 15, DC gets good once you leave the noob islands (which wont be an issue at launch) and the AD is pretty good throughout

I don't agree that the game is solo only, even before you get pvp and dungeons there are world bosses and public dungeons that can't be done solo most the time unless you are over levelled, the only problem I have is general questing in a group and the way phasing gets in the way quite often. I can see that putting quite a few people off tbh, but it's not enough to spoil the game for me

• poyozopoyozo Member UncommonPosts: 33
    I'm not going to pay $15 a month to get TES experience when I can get that with Skyrim in a far superior way. And as an mmo this game is average at best, and when you compare it to the competition there is no justification to choose this game over any other if all you want is to play an MMO.