Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What can you do in this game besides fight?

Comments

• indefindef Member UncommonPosts: 344
    Originally posted by Holophonist
    Originally posted by indef
    Originally posted by charlie_kelly
    Originally posted by Badaboom

The game is basically a roaming PvP arena.  There are areas around the world that are controlled by 3 day timers.  When these timers hit the 3 day mark the areas become available for "requisitioning" which is basically a big word for "capture".  When you capture one of these areas you get a big reward.

That's the only content in the game that is fun.

The PvE is the worst PvE in any MMO every made.  The PvE is extremely boring and repetitive... but even worse the mobs in the game don't drop any loot (that is worthwhile) .  The only point to killing mobs is to gain character progression points, which after you're happy with your character they become useless.

So long story short, there is nothing to do in the game that is fun besides PvP.  The PvP ends up being "an arena" because you travel to these timers and fight the same people over and over and over and over.

The game has less than 500 active players...probably around 1000-1500 total subscribers (including alts, which most people have).

Would strongly recommend not playing this game.

Things are coming down the pipe that will fundamentally improve the game.  AV is working on mob loot distribution/regionalization and a new territory control system, which I would expect within the next month or so. 

The basic idea of the territory control system is agon will be carved up into a bunch of puzzle pieces that will be control points.  The control points will be villages, cities, hamlets (at this time).  Each region will have different buffs, which could be pve or crafting related.  If I take over the next region then I will get both regions buffs.  This will encourage alliances to control regions and expand their empire. 

There are a number of other things in the works, but these two things have me the most excited.

PS:  I would strongly recommend playing UW as nothing else even comes close to being as good.

I'm in the MVP forums and I know exactly what their ideas are.  They just stated that they completed a first functional pass at one of the systems needed for the territory control system.

I don't know if you know anything about engineering...but a first functional pass at something means it's about 5%-10% complete.  You will be lucky to see these new systems within 6 months at the very best.  AV has 5-10 developers left working on the game, half of which are interns working for free.

[mod edit]

[mod edit]  I've also been following this game over the last decade.  I stand by my statement that no other game comes close to offering what Darkfall does all in one package. 

I'm not nostalgic about anything.  Darkfall Unholy Wars is a horrible game.  That's why the game has around 100 active daily players and around 500 total active players.

I'm glad you enjoy the game...but claiming DF:UW is the best game of all time and that "no other game comes close to it" is simply untrue.

If DF:UW was everything you say it is, there would be more than 100 people logging in each day.  The original vision for Darkfall was the best vision for a game in its time.  The Darkfall we have now is a mis-mash of Themepark and Full loot PvP thrown into a PvP arena.  The game has no depth, no customization, no meta game, no variety, and certainly no vision.

If the OP wants to play a full loot PvP arena game...then DF:UW is it.  If they want an MMO, DF:UW isn't one.

Mmmm I don't think you get his point. He's saying Darkfall does what it does better than everybody else. For people that want a full loot ow pvp game, darkfall is the best. Particularly if you want skill-based combat and conquest elements.

DFUW has a low playerbase because of its problems, but what other game that is similar to Darkfall has more players? EVE is really close and I don't think many people would deny that EVE is a better game than DFUW. But other than EVE, simply nobody is doing what DFUW is doing.

So I'd kind of have to ask what you mean when you say it's a horrible game. Nobody can deny the technical problems and lack of content, but I personally care a lot about what type of game I'm playing, not just how it's implemented. If I wanted a well made, polished game with frequent updates, I would play LoL or WoW.

Just because Darkfall doesn't have any competition doesn't make it good.

That's like saying the food truck that sells curdled milk pudding has the best, simply because nobody else on the planet sells it also.  Their product is still terrible, even if they're the only ones that sell it.

The only alternative to Darkfall is Mortal Online...and Mortal Online is just a very different game.  The only similarity between the two is full loot.  Mortal Online is a very un-polished and buggy sandbox PvP game.  Darkfall is a very un-finished arena PvP game.

The fact that Darkfall "does it better than anyone else" is simply not a selling point.  When you have no competition, nobody cares how good you are compared to nobody.

It is a selling point if you want a full loot skill based pvp game. When you decide to play a game you look at a number of factors. You look at the price, the size of the playerbase, how well it's made, the amount of content, and the type of game it is. You're misunderstanding about the lack of competition thing. I'm not saying that the lack of competition makes it a good game, I'm saying I want to play a full loot open world pvp game and DFUW is one of the very few that exists. To me, DFUW is a far better game than WoW. This is despite the fact that WoW is far more polished, has way more content and obviously a way larger population.

But either way, the lack of competition absolutely does make it a better game. What determines how good a game is is simply our standards, which are formed from other games. It's unfair to compare DFUW to non-full loot ow pvp games, especially if they have tab targeting.

The price:  The game is offensively over-priced.  Should have no box fee and cost $8 to $10 a month.

The size of the playerbase:  Abysmal.

How well it's made:  Terrible UI that is bad even for consoles, no AI to speak of, game-breaking bugs, no hack or cheat detection to speak of.

The amount of content:  Literally no content besides PvP.

Type of game it is:  Full loot PvP game (barely an MMO).

You need to look outside of your own opinion.  DF:UW is NOT a better game than WoW.  It is a different type of game than WoW that is more appealing to players like you and me.  It is still very, very BAD.  What you are saying is that because DF:UW is full loot, we as players need to ignore all of those other points that make this game an atrocity...if we want to play a full loot PvP game.

Well, suprise!  That's why the game is dead.  Most people aren't willing to overlook the pile of garbage that makes up this game...just to loot someone's stuff when we kill them. 

As for your statement "the lack of competition absolutely does make it a better game"  is just so terribly wrong.  In what aspect of life does no competition make something better.  Do you get better at sports only practicing against yourself?  Do businesses create better products when they have a monopoly?  Competition drives progress.  That is a fact of life.

• MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222

Indef you are completely wrong.  This is a pretty remarkable game.  Go run around the world and look at the sites...breathtaking.  Go run around any other themepark MMO...nothing.  The fact that this game has reward vs consequence not to mention the best MMO world out there is outstanding.  You must value things much differently than I do...as I think most DF players do, unfortunately.  This game has the complete wrong crowd.  You people don't appreciate 90% about what is good about the game (the world and reward vs consequences and freedom from linear quest hub themeparks).  The ship battles are epic as everything looks great, the mechanics work and there is something on the line.

So AV is slow about content, I don't see any other MMO company with this game world.  Vanguard was close but looks no where near as good.  I don't think people appreciate every little victory in this game.  This is extreme risk just traveling.  People are too worried about their kill/death ratio and looting gear.  Go farm something and get rich and then pick an open world house of your choice, craft something.  

This is the only game and company that could possibly get this much hate for having the best combat and gameworld and still get trashed as terrible.

• HolophonistHolophonist Member UncommonPosts: 2,091

Originally posted by charlie_kelly
    The game is basically a roaming PvP arena.  There are areas around the world that are controlled by 3 day timers.  When these timers hit the 3 day mark the areas become available for "requisitioning" which is basically a big word for "capture".  When you capture one of these areas you get a big reward. That's the only content in the game that is fun. The PvE is the worst PvE in any MMO every made.  The PvE is extremely boring and repetitive... but even worse the mobs in the game don't drop any loot (that is worthwhile) .  The only point to killing mobs is to gain character progression points, which after you're happy with your character they become useless. So long story short, there is nothing to do in the game that is fun besides PvP.  The PvP ends up being "an arena" because you travel to these timers and fight the same people over and over and over and over. The game has less than 500 active players...probably around 1000-1500 total subscribers (including alts, which most people have). Would strongly recommend not playing this game.  

Things are coming down the pipe that will fundamentally improve the game.  AV is working on mob loot distribution/regionalization and a new territory control system, which I would expect within the next month or so. 

The basic idea of the territory control system is agon will be carved up into a bunch of puzzle pieces that will be control points.  The control points will be villages, cities, hamlets (at this time).  Each region will have different buffs, which could be pve or crafting related.  If I take over the next region then I will get both regions buffs.  This will encourage alliances to control regions and expand their empire. 

There are a number of other things in the works, but these two things have me the most excited.

PS:  I would strongly recommend playing UW as nothing else even comes close to being as good.

I'm in the MVP forums and I know exactly what their ideas are.  They just stated that they completed a first functional pass at one of the systems needed for the territory control system.

I don't know if you know anything about engineering...but a first functional pass at something means it's about 5%-10% complete.  You will be lucky to see these new systems within 6 months at the very best.  AV has 5-10 developers left working on the game, half of which are interns working for free.

[mod edit]

[mod edit]  I've also been following this game over the last decade.  I stand by my statement that no other game comes close to offering what Darkfall does all in one package. 

I'm not nostalgic about anything.  Darkfall Unholy Wars is a horrible game.  That's why the game has around 100 active daily players and around 500 total active players.

I'm glad you enjoy the game...but claiming DF:UW is the best game of all time and that "no other game comes close to it" is simply untrue.

If DF:UW was everything you say it is, there would be more than 100 people logging in each day.  The original vision for Darkfall was the best vision for a game in its time.  The Darkfall we have now is a mis-mash of Themepark and Full loot PvP thrown into a PvP arena.  The game has no depth, no customization, no meta game, no variety, and certainly no vision.

If the OP wants to play a full loot PvP arena game...then DF:UW is it.  If they want an MMO, DF:UW isn't one.

Mmmm I don't think you get his point. He's saying Darkfall does what it does better than everybody else. For people that want a full loot ow pvp game, darkfall is the best. Particularly if you want skill-based combat and conquest elements.

DFUW has a low playerbase because of its problems, but what other game that is similar to Darkfall has more players? EVE is really close and I don't think many people would deny that EVE is a better game than DFUW. But other than EVE, simply nobody is doing what DFUW is doing.

So I'd kind of have to ask what you mean when you say it's a horrible game. Nobody can deny the technical problems and lack of content, but I personally care a lot about what type of game I'm playing, not just how it's implemented. If I wanted a well made, polished game with frequent updates, I would play LoL or WoW.

Just because Darkfall doesn't have any competition doesn't make it good.

That's like saying the food truck that sells curdled milk pudding has the best, simply because nobody else on the planet sells it also.  Their product is still terrible, even if they're the only ones that sell it.

The only alternative to Darkfall is Mortal Online...and Mortal Online is just a very different game.  The only similarity between the two is full loot.  Mortal Online is a very un-polished and buggy sandbox PvP game.  Darkfall is a very un-finished arena PvP game.

The fact that Darkfall "does it better than anyone else" is simply not a selling point.  When you have no competition, nobody cares how good you are compared to nobody.

It is a selling point if you want a full loot skill based pvp game. When you decide to play a game you look at a number of factors. You look at the price, the size of the playerbase, how well it's made, the amount of content, and the type of game it is. You're misunderstanding about the lack of competition thing. I'm not saying that the lack of competition makes it a good game, I'm saying I want to play a full loot open world pvp game and DFUW is one of the very few that exists. To me, DFUW is a far better game than WoW. This is despite the fact that WoW is far more polished, has way more content and obviously a way larger population.

But either way, the lack of competition absolutely does make it a better game. What determines how good a game is is simply our standards, which are formed from other games. It's unfair to compare DFUW to non-full loot ow pvp games, especially if they have tab targeting.

The price:  The game is offensively over-priced.  Should have no box fee and cost $8 to $10 a month.

The size of the playerbase:  Abysmal.

How well it's made:  Terrible UI that is bad even for consoles, no AI to speak of, game-breaking bugs, no hack or cheat detection to speak of.

The amount of content:  Literally no content besides PvP.

Type of game it is:  Full loot PvP game (barely an MMO).

You need to look outside of your own opinion.  DF:UW is NOT a better game than WoW.  It is a different type of game than WoW that is more appealing to players like you and me.  It is still very, very BAD.  What you are saying is that because DF:UW is full loot, we as players need to ignore all of those other points that make this game an atrocity...if we want to play a full loot PvP game.

Well, suprise!  That's why the game is dead.  Most people aren't willing to overlook the pile of garbage that makes up this game...just to loot someone's stuff when we kill them. 

As for your statement "the lack of competition absolutely does make it a better game"  is just so terribly wrong.  In what aspect of life does no competition make something better.  Do you get better at sports only practicing against yourself?  Do businesses create better products when they have a monopoly?  Competition drives progress.  That is a fact of life.

First, you're very confused about competition. You're talking about competition forcing something to become better, that's true. I'm talking about having something to compare it to. Different things. If there are no other games like DFUW, then yes that changes how you view it. In your mind you're comparing it to games that you shouldn't compare it to. Maybe this analogy will help you: imagine if transformers 3 were the only movie in the world. It would be incredible! But because we have other movies to compare it to, our standards change and now it's not so good. That doesn't mean it was bad at the time, but it is now that we have something to compare it to. Standards are the point. You have nothing to compare DFUW so you're comparing it to games that you shouldn't.

Second, the type of game matters when considering how good a game is. It just so happens that "good" is subjective. You're confusing "good" with "well-made." I personally think WoW and LoL are awful games because of the type of games they are. Like I said, a number of things go into what makes a game good. That includes the type of game it is. That's badaboom's point! If you want full loot ow pvp game, this is the best.

Third, mardukk is right. The game isn't even bad on an aesthetic level. The visuals are amazing. I love the huge seamless world. And by the way, the UI is unintuitive at first, but it's not at ALL a problem. Anybody who isn't completely comfortable with it after playing for a week or so must have something wrong with them.
  • indefindef Member UncommonPosts: 344
    The only game I compare DF:UW to is DF1.

The way DF:UW works right now is more like keep flipping in GW2 WvWvW with full loot. I'm not comparing anything about the games other than that 1 similarity.

The only way DF:UW seems remotely OK is if you don't compare it to DF1. Yes DF1 had many of it's own problems. But the core concept and combat was so good that people could overlook it. After 3 years of neglect, DF1 had more population on its dying day than DF:UW does now.
    I'm so not interested in comparing DFO to DFUW, it's pointless. Yes DFO had a lot over DFUW. At least DFUW isn't flawed to its core like DFO was. DFUW let's new players actually play the game and gives them something to work towards with the classes and feats. Being a new player with no friends in DFO was nearly impossible due to the grind.

At least the problems with DFUW can be fixed and are being fixed.

But either way, my main point about darkfall being the only one of its kind still stands. If you're going to criticize AV for the mistakes in darkfall (both darkfalls), you have to give them credit for what they do right, especially when they're the only ones doing it. And by the way, some of the biggest problems with darkfall (performance) are directly related to what makes it so good: skill based combat with actual projectiles, physics based abilities etc.
  • Mors.MagneMors.Magne Member UncommonPosts: 1,549
    Originally posted by DarthRaiden
    Originally posted by fivetigers

I know open world pvp is kind of the main feature, but I'm wondering what else the game has to offer.

Thanks.

DF:UW is not about anything beside mindless fights.

Everything else is subpar and made as  an afterthought.  Everything you have to do is centered around PvP or become a char that is viable for it.

The games forces only one playstyle,  that is PvP and everything else is shallow and not developed enough to justify it being a full MMORPG in the sense of viable alternative playstyles.

This is 100% correct.

In fact, in the old version of Darkfall had 2 styles of play:

1) Group PvPer (as described above)

2) Solo adventurer, living on the fringe

The devs deliberately removed the islands that facilitated solo adventure. This turned Darkfall into a massive group PvP arena.

So your choices are now very simple: Group PvP, or get ganked mercilessly all the time. 

This game is a greifer's paradise, so unless you like that sort of thing, keep the hell away from this game - do not part with your money.

Oh, and then there is grinding. Lots and lots of boring grinding to skill up - chopping down trees etc.

• JupstoJupsto Member UncommonPosts: 2,075

Indef if you dislike df2 because you prefered df1, thats fine. But you must see the massive irony in your statement, by your own logic DF1 was a even worse game because it had even less active players.

Darkfall Unholy Wars is a horrible game.  That's why the game has around 100 active daily players and around 500 total active players.

My blog: image

• GreymoorGreymoor Member UncommonPosts: 802

Some of the posters here are overly harsh in their critism of the game, to the point of lying. DF1 is gone, despite the last remaining players loving the combat (myself included), a lot of people disliked the quake-style, classes combat. DFUW has improved on combat greatly for the masses.

I'm sorry, that's how it is and with the upcoming economic changes, the end-game will recieve real meaning.

• DarthRaidenDarthRaiden Member UncommonPosts: 4,333
    Originally posted by Consensus

Indef if you dislike df2 because you prefered df1, thats fine. But you must see the massive irony in your statement, by your own logic DF1 was a even worse game because it had even less active players.

Darkfall Unholy Wars is a horrible game.  That's why the game has around 100 active daily players and around 500 total active players.

What ?

True DF had thousands of players 8 months after launch. 

Ho3 many times has to be repeated that the numbers you compare with the fresh and recently pubhished DF:UW and even a integrated DF:UW into Steam have been that low after  :

1.  1,5 years of no updates.

2. Announcements about wipe incoming

3. new game anounces which implies current game has no future.

Do this to DF:UW and then we speak again and compare again. Should we ?

The current playerbase numbers shows really that DF:UW failed. According to AV habbits it is time for all of these measures agin. It is time for a wipe of DF:UW and replacement of the current playerbase of DF:UW  with a more appropiate playerbase and support for playstyle for these genre which is MMORPG.

-----MY-TERMS-OF-USE--------------------------------------------------
    $OE - eternal enemy of online gaming
    -We finally WON !!!! 2011 $OE accepted that they have been fired 2005 by the playerbase and closed down ridiculous NGE !!

"There was suppression of speech and all kinds of things between disturbing and fascistic." Raph Koster (parted $OE)

• itchmonitchmon Member RarePosts: 1,999
    there are more people playing UW than you think.  (I recently made a new account to try again)  It's in sore need of depth in other areas besides pvp (it can look to eve for inspiration) but the foundations are there.  I dunno, I find it fun, albeit flawed.

RIP Ribbitribbitt you are missed, kid.

Currently Playing EVE, ESO

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and not clothed.

Dwight D Eisenhower

My optimism wears heavy boots and is loud.

Henry Rollins

Originally posted by Greymoor

Some of the posters here are overly harsh in their critism of the game, to the point of lying. DF1 is gone, despite the last remaining players loving the combat (myself included), a lot of people disliked the quake-style, classes combat. DFUW has improved on combat greatly for the masses.

I'm sorry, that's how it is and with the upcoming economic changes, the end-game will recieve real meaning.

sorry but classes are a main feature of the DF:UW.

original DF was build around skils.

Changes like the upcoming DF2010 changes for original DF ?  even if  implemented  like intoduced in the MVP recap,   DF:UW will still  have core flaws which can't be easily repaired.

The class system has to be replaced by a skill system and a armor specialization system first. 

Then safezones have to be removed.

A alignment system has to be implemenetd and racial warafere has to be enabled.

Racial bonus and racial specialities and perks have to be implemented.

Chaos NPC cities have to be created for the rogue player. 

Massive amount of islands and new landmass have to be added. 

Crafting has to be revamped. all items in to the game have to be craftable including houses.  raw materials have to have attributes and come in different qualities. Mob loot should not include items just components needed for crafting.   

-We finally WON !!!! 2011 $OE accepted that they have been fired 2005 by the playerbase and closed down ridiculous NGE !!

"There was suppression of speech and all kinds of things between disturbing and fascistic." Raph Koster (parted $OE)

DFUW is incomplete, not really flawed. Flawed to me makes it sound like there's a core problem that can't easily be fixed. The problems with DFUW are performance and content. And they're adding content actually reasonably quickly.
  • BulldozeBulldoze Member UncommonPosts: 115

In all honesty, the PvE is just  a monotonous necessity, similar feeling to doing your laundry in real life. It's boring but you just have to do it anyway.

PvE feats are like "Kill 20 Goblins" then "Kill 50 Goblins" then "Kill 150 Goblins" then "Kill 500 Goblins"

Feat chain is complete and it's on to the next camp of monsters, rinse and repeat.

This game shines in it's full-loot pvp system, it's truly quite scary the first time you venture out of a safe zone. Having not played a full loot games in years I have to say I did miss that feeling when you take steps into the danger zones. That excitement kinda wore off after I walked around for 3 hours and the only other player I saw was a dude with like 400k PP just chopping a tree.

I'd only recommend this game for people who have alot of time to sink into it. It's pretty hardcore in terms of time spent / fun had goes. To put into perspective It took me 20+ hours gameplay to get just short of 3k PP as a new player, to be considered PvP viable which is all that matters in the game, you're looking at like 30-50k and most players I saw rolled around with 200-400k so if you can hang, go hang. I'm sure the game rules when you're in  a good guild and playing alot as the community seemed awesome from my short stay.

I am the Arch-fiend, the Despoiler of Worlds, and by my hands shall the false Emperor fall.

• NiburuNiburu Member UncommonPosts: 402
    Originally posted by Bulldoze

In all honesty, the PvE is just  a monotonous necessity, similar feeling to doing your laundry in real life. It's boring but you just have to do it anyway.

PvE feats are like "Kill 20 Goblins" then "Kill 50 Goblins" then "Kill 150 Goblins" then "Kill 500 Goblins"

Feat chain is complete and it's on to the next camp of monsters, rinse and repeat.

This game shines in it's full-loot pvp system, it's truly quite scary the first time you venture out of a safe zone. Having not played a full loot games in years I have to say I did miss that feeling when you take steps into the danger zones. That excitement kinda wore off after I walked around for 3 hours and the only other player I saw was a dude with like 400k PP just chopping a tree.

I'd only recommend this game for people who have alot of time to sink into it. It's pretty hardcore in terms of time spent / fun had goes. To put into perspective It took me 20+ hours gameplay to get just short of 3k PP as a new player, to be considered PvP viable which is all that matters in the game, you're looking at like 30-50k and most players I saw rolled around with 200-400k so if you can hang, go hang. I'm sure the game rules when you're in  a good guild and playing alot as the community seemed awesome from my short stay.

To make 3k in 20+H you must run around alot and do nothing.  This is the beauty of such open worl game that no one tells you what to do and you can end up with 3k in 20h or 60k after 10 days of playing. Its all about efficiency.

To be group viable you need around 20-25k if you concentrate on combat skills, around 60-80k will make you fully build in one role.

As you already mentione the key to have fun in this game is to play with others, join a guild and experience the guild life. Something that is very rare in the current MMO market since you have to solo everything.

• MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222
    Originally posted by Niburu

Originally posted by Bulldoze
    In all honesty, the PvE is just  a monotonous necessity, similar feeling to doing your laundry in real life. It's boring but you just have to do it anyway. PvE feats are like "Kill 20 Goblins" then "Kill 50 Goblins" then "Kill 150 Goblins" then "Kill 500 Goblins" Feat chain is complete and it's on to the next camp of monsters, rinse and repeat. This game shines in it's full-loot pvp system, it's truly quite scary the first time you venture out of a safe zone. Having not played a full loot games in years I have to say I did miss that feeling when you take steps into the danger zones. That excitement kinda wore off after I walked around for 3 hours and the only other player I saw was a dude with like 400k PP just chopping a tree. I'd only recommend this game for people who have alot of time to sink into it. It's pretty hardcore in terms of time spent / fun had goes. To put into perspective It took me 20+ hours gameplay to get just short of 3k PP as a new player, to be considered PvP viable which is all that matters in the game, you're looking at like 30-50k and most players I saw rolled around with 200-400k so if you can hang, go hang. I'm sure the game rules when you're in  a good guild and playing alot as the community seemed awesome from my short stay.  

To make 3k in 20+H you must run around alot and do nothing.  This is the beauty of such open worl game that no one tells you what to do and you can end up with 3k in 20h or 60k after 10 days of playing. Its all about efficiency.

To be group viable you need around 20-25k if you concentrate on combat skills, around 60-80k will make you fully build in one role.

As you already mentione the key to have fun in this game is to play with others, join a guild and experience the guild life. Something that is very rare in the current MMO market since you have to solo everything.

This. I jumped into this game solo and it took a week or two before I could join a clan. I just love that t is a beautiful open seamless world with consequences for my actions. No self root combat or being treated like a child.
  • marcustmarcust Member UncommonPosts: 495

There is a lot to do while playing this game.

While chopping trees or mining stones or ore you can:

1. Wash the car

2. Take the dog for a walk

3. Catch a movie

4. Study

5. Work

6. Do the dishes.

Hell you can even take a nap.

When all these things are done you can go and kill the same mob type over and over 150 times for shitty loot, to get prowess.

Then repeat.

There is always something to do while playing Darkfall.

Playing: Darkfall New Dawn (and planning to play Fallout 76)
    Favourite games have included: UO, Lineage2, Darkfall, Lotro, Baldur's Gate, SSX, FF7 and yes the original Wizardry on an Apple IIe

Originally posted by marcust

1. Wash the car

3. Catch a movie

4. Study

5. Work

6. Do the dishes.

When all these things are done you can go and kill the same mob type over and over 150 times for shitty loot, to get prowess.

Then repeat.

I think sandbox games just aren't for you. It seems like you'd prefer something that feeds you content and activities. The ESO beta is still going on; maybe you can hop in and give it a try.

1. Wash the car

3. Catch a movie

4. Study

5. Work

6. Do the dishes.

Then repeat.

I think sandbox games just aren't for you. It seems like you'd prefer something that feeds you content and activities. The ESO beta is still going on; maybe you can hop in and give it a try.

Is this ironie ?

only as cynical remarks these activities could be qualified as sandbox. 

ok,  lets give i wash my car, take dog for a walk , study and go to work which is what i do, can i call myself a sandbox expert now ?

As an sandbox expert i can tell you thats some very primitive sort of a sandbox what DF:UW offers. The very primitive type i ever found on any sandbox game i ever tried. (playing sandboxes since 1997)

1. Wash the car

3. Catch a movie

4. Study

5. Work

6. Do the dishes.

Then repeat.

Is this ironie ?

only as cynical remarks these activities could be qualified as sandbox. 

ok,  lets give i wash my car, take dog for a walk , study and go to work which is what i do, can i call myself a sandbox expert now ?

As an sandbox expert i can tell you thats some very primitive sort of a sandbox what DF:UW offers. The very primitive type i ever found on any sandbox game i ever tried. (playing sandboxes since 1997)

I'm saying if you need content fed to you or made artificially exciting then sandboxes probably aren't for you. The harvesting in DF is very similar to UO, and that's fine with me. It's not perfect, in fact I can think of some good ways to improve it, but it's not what's wrong with the game. 

• marcustmarcust Member UncommonPosts: 495

1. Wash the car

3. Catch a movie

4. Study

5. Work

6. Do the dishes.

Then repeat.

I played DF and DFUW on and off since DF beta and left 6 months ago.

DF > DFUW; back then I could actually gain skill in a bow by (shock horror) using a bow, rather than killing 150 of the same mob to get the prowess points (while not having to use a bow even once).

In DF1 you weren't so limited in available skills.

DFUW just got worse and worse and combined with the nightly restart (during aussie prime evening time) and the shitty population all of the 10 or so aussies I played with left.

There was no incentive for a small group to have a holding, no incentive to kill mobs, at least in DF1 mobs dropped decent loot that could be used as you go.

So much of your time must be spent harvesting and harvesting time is just wasted time.

Enjoy your sandbox, this shit just got dull.

Playing: Darkfall New Dawn (and planning to play Fallout 76)
    Favourite games have included: UO, Lineage2, Darkfall, Lotro, Baldur's Gate, SSX, FF7 and yes the original Wizardry on an Apple IIe

• BadaboomBadaboom Member UncommonPosts: 2,380
    Pve'ing in Darkfall UW is rarely ever dull. There is always a chance of getting jumped or being the person doing the jumping.  FFA full loot baby all in an open world.  The games that don't offer that are boring. 

1. Wash the car

3. Catch a movie

4. Study

5. Work

6. Do the dishes.

Then repeat.

DF > DFUW; back then I could actually gain skill in a bow by (shock horror) using a bow, rather than killing 150 of the same mob to get the prowess points (while not having to use a bow even once).

DFUW just got worse and worse and combined with the nightly restart (during aussie prime evening time) and the shitty population all of the 10 or so aussies I played with left.

There was no incentive for a small group to have a holding, no incentive to kill mobs, at least in DF1 mobs dropped decent loot that could be used as you go.

So much of your time must be spent harvesting and harvesting time is just wasted time.

I have literally no idea why you're talking about DFO. I guess you guys are just incapable of having a conversation without talking about how much better it was than DFUW.

• itchmonitchmon Member RarePosts: 1,999

1. Wash the car

3. Catch a movie

4. Study

5. Work

6. Do the dishes.

Then repeat.

sandbox does not mean "thing i like"

sandbox means players generate the content.

gaining territory, setting up alliances, etc are all "sandbox content" and can be found in darkfall.

in eve online a titan literally requires hundreds of man hours mining to create and yeah, people do other things while they're mining. (the game even comes with a web browser based on chrome built in)  but i've never heard anyone cleim eve isnt a sandbox.

RIP Ribbitribbitt you are missed, kid.

Currently Playing EVE, ESO

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and not clothed.

Dwight D Eisenhower

My optimism wears heavy boots and is loud.

Henry Rollins

• Mors.MagneMors.Magne Member UncommonPosts: 1,549

1. Wash the car

3. Catch a movie

4. Study

5. Work

6. Do the dishes.

Then repeat.

No I disagree - the best way to grind Darkfall is to do it while your getting dressed in the morning and while you have breakfast.

Then it's easier because you can establish a routine every day.

• xpiherxpiher Member UncommonPosts: 3,310
    Originally posted by karmath
    Originally posted by fivetigers

I know open world pvp is kind of the main feature, but I'm wondering what else the game has to offer.

Thanks.

DF:UW is not about anything beside mindless fights.

Everything else is subpar and made as  an afterthought.  Everything you have to do is centered around PvP or become a char that is viable for it.

The games forces only one playstyle,  that is PvP and everything else is shallow and not developed enough to justify it being a full MMORPG in the sense of viable alternative playstyles.

Eh, wtf are you on about? Your right about everything other than PvP isn't great, but the PvP very fucking far from mindless. PvP has meaning, you lose your shit when you die, you can lose your guild city when you lose in a PvP siege, your reputation as a PvP'er matters. Name another single modern game where the above is true. You just someone who sucked at it.

Darth is right though. Losing a city has virtually no baring on your ability to do anything in the game ATM. This will change once AoI territory control is introduced, which can come fast enough, and regionalized resources are introduced. But this was true of DFO as well. 

Games:
    Currently playing:Nothing
    Will play: Darkfall: Unholy Wars
    Past games:
    Guild Wars 2 - Xpiher Duminous
    Xpiher's GW2
    GW 1 - Xpiher Duminous
    Darkfall - Xpiher Duminous (NA) retired
    AoC - Xpiher (Tyranny) retired
    Warhammer - Xpiher