Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"Wait till level 10"?

Why does everyone say to give the game until level 10 before giving up on it?

Just curious.  Does the game open up much more or something at this magic level?

Don't care about spoilers so answer away. :P

Comments

• McSireMcSire Member Posts: 43
    You could say it "opens up"  yes. By lvl 10 you have all 5 ability slots slotted I"m pretty sure, also that is when you are able to start PvPing, I think those are some of the reasons the game gets good around lvl 10.

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] UncommonPosts: 0
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • DeserttFoxxDeserttFoxx Member UncommonPosts: 2,402

People who quit MMOs before level 20 probably shouldnt play MMOs.

Early levels arent a science yet, and ive not played any MMO that has done early game right, but if you play 5 levels and quit, then you shouldnt play at all, most of the time nothing happens before level 20, no dungeons no pvp no meaningful talents.

playing an mmo and quitting before level 10, is like putting in a single player game and quitting after the prologue.

Quotations Those Who make peaceful resolutions impossible, make violent resolutions inevitable. John F. Kennedy

Life... is the shit that happens while you wait for moments that never come - Lester Freeman

Lie to no one. If there 's somebody close to you, you'll ruin it with a lie. If they're a stranger, who the fuck are they you gotta lie to them? - Willy Nelson

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Originally posted by SwashBuccaneer

Why does everyone say to give the game until level 10 before giving up on it?

Just curious.  Does the game open up much more or something at this magic level?

Don't care about spoilers so answer away. :P

Sounds crazy, but yes, a little more. Your also able to go to Cyrodiil at 10.  I don't think you can judge ESO until you do AvA. 

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • doodphacedoodphace Member UncommonPosts: 1,858
    Originally posted by DeserttFoxx

Early levels arent a science yet, and ive not played any MMO that has done early game right, but if you play 5 levels and quit, then you shouldnt play at all, most of the time nothing happens before level 20, no dungeons no pvp no meaningful talents.

playing an mmo and quitting before level 10, is like putting in a single player game and quitting after the prologue.

AoC and SWTOR did early game quite well, to name a couple. Heck, one of the biggest gripes about AoC was that its early game left such a good impression, that later on felt boring.

Getting on your high horse and saying people that arn't having fun with an MMO's early game shouldn't be playing MMOs, doesn't make the game you are defending any better...it just makes you look insecure.

• quixadhalquixadhal Member UncommonPosts: 215

Does the overall UI get less clunky once you hit level 10?

Do the animations look like they have more than 4 frames after level 10?

Does the dialog become less cliche and hammy after level 10?

Does the combat feel more like I'm playing a game, and less like I'm directing a puppet show by level 10?

I'll give the beta another few hours, but from the very beginning it failed to impress me in any way.  The graphics were reasonable, but not fantastic.  The animations were choppy. The user interface felt clunky, as it it were designed back in 1999 by people used to making text MUD's.  The combat itself felt pretty generic, with the enemies acting just as stupid as they do in every other MMO out there.  By that, I mean they run right at you and then stand there swinging, as if the concepts of dodging, throwing things from a distance, or heaven forbid.. luring the player into a trap, are things the developers never even considered.

Even if the game magically becomes fantastic at level 30 (or 50, or 300), it still has to be enjoyable enough to trudge through those early levels.  Especially if they expect me to shell out $60 for a retail box *AND* pay a subscription *AND* still have things locked behind DLC paywalls.

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860
    Originally posted by greenreen

Like they mentioned, by 10 you have more skills than you had at lower levels and some you probably have had a chance to morph. Here's how eventful it can be. One skill I had for CC at level 1 was 5 second duration. At level 2 of the skill it was 12 seconds of CC - quite a difference. Another one - I had a self heal that returned 30% of the damage to myself in a heal. The morph for that skill I turned into a skill that does the 30% damage returned in a heal still but it now heals me AND two allies. All of a sudden I can heal other people while doing damage. Does that change things?

Things like that make the game change a lot as you go. You build expands with you and you make choices. Maybe you don't make the "right" choice and you will have to respec but that's not in the build the weekend warriors were testing.

Could you gimp yourself? Ain't nothing stopping you - there are lots of skill lines and no rules, you can slot and train whatever you want and morph it however you want - there was just no going back in this build so if people made mistakes they paid dearly and had little way to rectify it without putting in more game time leveling other skills.

Then there is the ultimate skill that you don't get until later so level 1 you don't even have an ultimate at all.

Another thing is the weapon swapping. It doesn't let you have that second weapon to swap during combat until you are at level 15 so that's an entire set of skills that you can switch to then.

The gear in the game can be altered A LOT. As you improve your gear you improve your stats and things like increased Magicka or Stamina will increase the damage on skills that rely on it. Now, you are able to alter the dmg of skills just by finding or crafting better gear.

In the starting areas they kind of guide you, the one I was on was an island so I deviated but it wasn't nearly as free until I could move from zone to zone, even places I knew were too high for me. I didn't leave the starting area until level 6. Only after that could I change zones and wander around to places that were going to get me killed.

The other thing that can be tough to learn is that there are quest arrows but you don't have to follow them. The problem is that from other games when you see a quest you do it, that's the way to grow your character.

Let me tell you something I found out tonight - I did a quest to capture 4 guars that I had to find in a town. That quest netted me 104 experience. Guess how much experience I got opening a chest? 84 for a simple one and 100 for one above my level. If you wanted to roam around collecting crafting materials and opening chests for loot which are hidden all over and respawn fairly quickly, you could. Also there are these champion mobs that give an achievement when beaten, good experience, and good loot. You don't have to be quest driven but people are used to that so they follow the quests and they feel railed but they put themselves on rails by following the arrows one after another without thought. That may change if people have the courage to try the game without quest markers or only turn them on when they are really stuck. They are testing a build with them being optional but again, that wasn't open to the weekend testers.

Levels are slow in the game. It's not a 15 minute journey to 10. It's something to savor and only level as a sideline. Because people aren't progressing quickly like other games where anything under 20 is all for practice they get concerned that the game hasn't given them enough but it's giving it to them slower so they rush from arrow to arrow nexting without thought then wonder why it seems tedious. They are doing it this way because that's what they know from other games.  That's the process, follow quests - don't deviate. Deviating here nets you rewards too including loot you only find from deviating like recipes and special drops. There are things like books that you find too that instantly give you a skill up in something and the skyshards where 3 give you a skill point. The quest rewards are not those things generally. For quest reward it's usually gold or gold and gear. It's nice enough but I'm lvl 12 and still not wearing a helmet or shoulders so no quest has given them to me. That would be something I could craft or buy but I'm not spending that amount of time doing the crafting on it when I can just roll without them. In the real game of course I would try to get a complete set of gear. I'm partially gimping myself but I only get 3 days here.

It gets advancingly harder too. We've been told by some of the people in the 50+ content areas that if you don't block at the right time some mobs will nearly kill you in a single shot. This means that we all need to be good at combat by the time we hit max level or it will show in repair bills.

Very nice comment Greenreen. I learned a few things from it! Thank you for taking the time to comment.

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• BluewhitehellBluewhitehell Member Posts: 66
    Originally posted by quixadhal

Does the combat feel more like I'm playing a game, and less like I'm directing a puppet show by level 10?

I'll give the beta another few hours, but from the very beginning it failed to impress me in any way.  The graphics were reasonable, but not fantastic.  The animations were choppy. The user interface felt clunky, as it it were designed back in 1999 by people used to making text MUD's.  The combat itself felt pretty generic, with the enemies acting just as stupid as they do in every other MMO out there.  By that, I mean they run right at you and then stand there swinging, as if the concepts of dodging, throwing things from a distance, or heaven forbid.. luring the player into a trap, are things the developers never even considered.

Even if the game magically becomes fantastic at level 30 (or 50, or 300), it still has to be enjoyable enough to trudge through those early levels.  Especially if they expect me to shell out $60 for a retail box *AND* pay a subscription *AND* still have things locked behind DLC paywalls.

If you only play a MMO for animation, UI and smooth combat, then yes you probably shouldn't play it.

If I want good animation I would watch pixar movie, if I want smooth combat I would play a fighting game though. I don't play a MMO to get impressed by animation, UI and crazy combat. I play MMO for character progression and social interaction.

Originally posted by Bluewhitehell
    Originally posted by quixadhal

If you only play a MMO for animation, UI and smooth combat, then yes you probably shouldn't play it.

If I want good animation I would watch pixar movie, if I want smooth combat I would play a fighting game though. I don't play a MMO to get impressed by animation, UI and crazy combat. I play MMO for character progression and social interaction.

Those statements would make sense only if there wern't MMOs out there with both those things, and I assure you...there are.........as well as the social and charecter progression points you listed.......I think the main quesitong is, why settle for less?

• k11keeperk11keeper Member UncommonPosts: 1,048
    Originally posted by doodphace
    Originally posted by DeserttFoxx

AoC and SWTOR did early game quite well, to name a couple. Heck, one of the biggest gripes about AoC was that its early game left such a good impression, that later on felt boring.

Getting on your high horse and saying people that arn't having fun with an MMO's early game shouldn't be playing MMOs, doesn't make the game you are defending any better...it just makes you look insecure.

I disagree I don't think it makes them insecure at all. When I read the title my mind was thinking the same thing. So you gave two examples of games that did early game well but both of those games are not considered that amazing by people on this forum. I have not tried either so I can't say whether they are good or bad. All I can say is for every MMO I have ever played the first few 10 or so lvls are usually for just getting your bearings and figuring out the simplest parts of the game.

If you don't have the patience to even get past that very early initial phase to see if you like it or not I wonder if you are really and MMO player. Now if you want to have discussion about whether that's good for the genre or not cool but don't pretend like 95% of the games don't follow that same formula of oversimplification for the very first lvls. 

• JimmyYOJimmyYO Member UncommonPosts: 519

Many MMO's out there will be glad to bank off your horribly low standards.

Originally posted by quixadhal...snip

Those statements would make sense only if there wern't MMOs out there with both those things, and I assure you...there are.........as well as the social and charecter progression points you listed.......I think the main quesitong is, why settle for less?

How about the rest of it.

Is there a game right now where you have 3 faction PVP with siege weapons and weapon swapping along with any character being able to wear any weapons along with any gear combination they like. All these characters also have the innate ability to block, dodge, interrupt, and stealth. The characters also need to have the ability to craft anything they desire without being locked into a set amount of crafting careers possible, not one or two but all crafting lines are open at once.

Do they also lack an auction house like this game and have stores related to guilds or the ability for a guild to claim a PVP area and hawk their goods. During PVP can one guild claim multiple areas and dominate the area or are they allowed to only have a single location like this game. Is their PVP area the size of 9 regular zones. Do these guilds keep records of who takes something and removes something from the guild bank because this game logs it all for us to see who is taking more than they give. I can join a few guilds too right because here I can join 5 of them.

These games not only have my class skills lines but they also have 2 PVP based skill lines for me and about 5 PVE based skill lines too to fill up my bar with along with my regular skills and I'll have decisions to make about what will best suit a situation without having to return to town to change them. I can change my skillbar no matter where I am or morph my skills without visiting a class trainer in a town.

I can get rewards for healing other people too I'm sure. If I heal them I get my own set of loot so that if we aren't grouped they don't get the loot because they hit the mob first even when I helped or saved them after coming up on them. In PVP I'll get rewarded for healing too because I will in this version of PVP so that healers don't have to moan about not being on leaderboards and give up because their playstyle isn't rewarded. There also is no master loot and no control of loot or who gets it so no DKP, everyone has their own separate loots.

Do these games you are thinking of ignore the entire account instead of just a character when you ignore someone so that they can't harass you with an alt or gold spam by deleting toons. I suppose they will also have to have the fast travel for free from fast travel point to fast travel point. Having lockpicking would be a good thing since I have it here. Being able to loot crates, boxes, cupboards and other things in the environments make the scenery more interesting and encourage exploring it, your game will have that too, I'm sure. I'll also be able to show as offline to all my guilds when I want a little private time or know I'm in a bad mood and won't be a gregarious groupmate so I that I can self exclude from the mixing pot when needed.

Games are more than just animations, they are a package. Why give up a package if there is no comparable product. But if you know these games I'm overlooking - do tell.

Read the post I quoted....does he mention any of that? Nope....and snipping it doesnt help you.......he said social interaction and charecter progression only....hence my reply...

I realise you are offended for some unknown reason, but if you are going to quote me to prove some point that I never disagreed with, at least reply with the correct context.

How about the rest of it.

Is there a game right now where you have 3 faction PVP with siege weapons and weapon swapping along with any character being able to wear any weapons along with any gear combination they like. All these characters also have the innate ability to block, dodge, interrupt, and stealth. The characters also need to have the ability to craft anything they desire without being locked into a set amount of crafting careers possible, not one or two but all crafting lines are open at once. If while out questing I find a piece of gear can I improve it and make it better, I can here.

Do they also lack an auction house like this game and have stores related to guilds or the ability for a guild to claim a PVP area and hawk their goods. During PVP can one guild claim multiple areas and dominate the area or are they allowed to only have a single location like this game. Is their PVP area the size of 9 regular zones. Do these guilds keep records of who takes something and removes something from the guild bank because this game logs it all for us to see who is taking more than they give. I can join a few guilds too right because here I can join 5 of them.

These games not only have my class skills lines but they also have 2 PVP based skill lines for me and about 5 PVE based skill lines too to fill up my bar with along with my regular skills and I'll have decisions to make about what will best suit a situation without having to return to town to change them. I can change my skillbar no matter where I am or morph my skills without visiting a class trainer in a town. In PVP when I encounter someone their class does not tell me exactly what skills they have available. They could be sporting any of them from skill lines unrelated to their class. You don't have to slot one class skill at all if you don't want to, that's possible in your game I take it.

I can get rewards for healing other people too I'm sure. If I heal them I get my own set of loot so that if we aren't grouped they don't get the loot because they hit the mob first even when I helped or saved them after coming up on them. In PVP I'll get rewarded for healing too because I will in this version of PVP so that healers don't have to moan about not being on leaderboards and give up because their playstyle isn't rewarded. There also is no master loot and no control of loot or who gets it so no DKP, everyone has their own separate loots.

Do these games you are thinking of ignore the entire account instead of just a character when you ignore someone so that they can't harass you with an alt or gold spam by deleting toons. I suppose they will also have to have the fast travel for free from fast travel point to fast travel point. Having lockpicking would be a good thing since I have it here. Being able to loot crates, boxes, cupboards and other things in the environments make the scenery more interesting and encourage exploring it, your game will have that too, I'm sure. I'll also be able to show as offline to all my guilds when I want a little private time or know I'm in a bad mood and won't be a gregarious groupmate so I that I can self exclude from the mixing pot when needed.

Games are more than just animations, they are a package. Why give up a package if there is no comparable product. But if you know these games I'm overlooking - do tell.

Like +1

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

...snip

Read the post I quoted....does he mention any of that? Nope....and snipping the post i quoted doesn't hide it.....he said social interaction and charecter progression only....hence my reply...

I realise you are offended for some unknown reason, but if you are going to quote me to prove some point that I never disagreed with, at least reply with the correct context.

Well this is my package and I'm certain you don't have a game for me that matches this one. I'm with them, animations are low on the scale for me. If you don't consider all the gear, weapon, and skill choices progression what is progression to you?

Why do you feel the need to debate thing I never said or implied? Honestly....please..for the love of god, go read the exchange that you quoted.

He said he plays MMOs for social interaction and charecter progression, not for smooth combat, animations, and good UI. I then stated that there are MMOs out there with smooth combat, good animations, clean UI, as well as social interaction and charecter progression, so why settle for less?

At what point did I say ESO didnt have charecter progression, or care/debate what your total package is????? For all you know, I agree with you...i havent said anything implying otherwise....you need to relax a bit on forums bro lol.

• Ender4Ender4 Member UncommonPosts: 2,247

If you don't like a game in the first 10 levels it is extremely unlikely that you are going to like the game. You can go through the early stage and not be sure and discover you love it, but if you honestly dislike those early levels there is most likely something about the game that simply does not appeal to you.

The obvious big exception in this case is the PvP. If your choice of games is going to heavily depend on PvP then you obviously have to try the PvP before you can judge it.

• artemisentr4artemisentr4 Member UncommonPosts: 1,431

...snip

Read the post I quoted....does he mention any of that? Nope....and snipping the post i quoted doesn't hide it.....he said social interaction and charecter progression only....hence my reply...

Well this is my package and I'm certain you don't have a game for me that matches this one. I'm with them, animations are low on the scale for me. If you don't consider all the gear, weapon, and skill choices progression what is progression to you?

Why do you feel the need to debate thing I never said or implied? Honestly....please..for the love of god, go read the exchange that you quoted.

He said he plays MMOs for social interaction and charecter progression, not for smooth combat, animations, and good UI. I then stated that there are MMOs out there with smooth combat, good animations, clean UI, as well as social interaction and charecter progression, so why settle for less?

At what point did I say ESO didnt have charecter progression, or care/debate what your total package is????? For all you know, I agree with you...i havent said anything implying otherwise....you need to relax a bit on forums bro lol.

What are those MMOs with smooth combat, animations and good UI to you?

“How many people long for that "past, simpler, and better world," I wonder, without ever recognizing the truth that perhaps it was they who were simpler and better, and not the world about them?”
    R.A.Salvatore

• GestankfaustGestankfaust Member UncommonPosts: 1,989

You people that are trying so hard not to like ESO amaze me. And the others that have not tested it, even more. But it's what I expect around here.

The game is great. I care not which game it's like or if it will kill some old stagnant MMO from 10 years ago. It's one of the best to be released in the near future...if not the best. Nit pick all you want....

"This may hurt a little, but it's something you'll get used to. Relax....."

Originally posted by Ender4

If you don't like a game in the first 10 levels it is extremely unlikely that you are going to like the game. You can go through the early stage and not be sure and discover you love it, but if you honestly dislike those early levels there is most likely something about the game that simply does not appeal to you.

Why? WoW is boring the first 10 levels and look at how popular it is.

Originally posted by artemisentr4

...snip

Here we go.....

Are you implying that there arn't any? Something tells me that no matter which games I list, someone will argue...I don't see this becoming a healthy exchange in the least, so lets not have it. It has absolutly no bearing on anything.

Originally posted by Ender4

The obvious big exception in this case is the PvP. If your choice of games is going to heavily depend on PvP then you obviously have to try the PvP before you can judge it.

Depends on what you don't like. If it is a major features of the game, then it probably won't get better. But progression, questing, immersion, depth and socializing can change as you continue to play a game.

“How many people long for that "past, simpler, and better world," I wonder, without ever recognizing the truth that perhaps it was they who were simpler and better, and not the world about them?”
    R.A.Salvatore

...snip

I don't need to do anything but see you define character progression without using skills, gear, or weaponry.

Why...did I say anything about ESO's charecter progression? You are still trying to have a debate that was never started.....

Originally posted by artemisentr4

Here we go.....

Are you implying that there arn't any? Something tells me that no matter which games I list, someone will argue...I don't see this becoming a healthy exchange in the least, so lets not have it. It has absolutly no bearing on anything.

I was tying to see where you are coming from. What games you like and think have the full package. Not attacking you, just trying to understand you.

R.A.Salvatore