Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

so what kind of Video Game is NOT considered MMO games?

MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387

so what kind of Video Game is NOT considered MMO games?

Since the MMO community , as well as sites like this and massively, along with the industry have decided it was a good reason to change the requirements for a video game to be considered a MMO video game.

I am wondering, what kind of Video Games arent MMOs now days.

Massively states that any game that has Online gameplay is a MMO. That includes Call of Duty and Hello Kitty in their own words.

Well we are in an age where most games are featured online in some way. That would make them MMO.

Its hard to find modern day Video games that dont fit this definition.

So again, what video games are NOT considered MMO video games?

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

Comments

• tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227

Skyrim...

Dragon Age series

Generally any game without a multiplayer online component

MOBA´s

the Arkham series

GTA 5

Battlefield 4

Angry Birds

Online-games that have no lobby outside of the traditional lobby...

XCOM: Enemy whatever

You get the idea.

This have been a good conversation

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    1. A massively multiplayer online game. A computer game in which a large number of players can simultaneously interact in a persistent world or can potentially play against a large number of players in matchmaking; A massively multiplayer online role-playing game.

That's the definition I'm going with.

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387
    Originally posted by laserit
    1. A massively multiplayer online game. A computer game in which a large number of players can simultaneously interact in a persistent world or can potentially play against a large number of players in matchmaking; A massively multiplayer online role-playing game.

Call of Duty fits that. Same with any other game that is a shooter with online play.

Hello kitty is a mmo. Okay. Not sure of this gameplay.

But what games now days dobt have online? Skyrim without mods. Okay that works. But GTA Online is a mmo. It has online.

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• imsoenthusedimsoenthused Member UncommonPosts: 65

Honestly, I feel like the term has gotten a bit diluted, but you're being purposefully obtuse OP. As player limits in non MMO multiplayer goes up, it becomes more and more pointless to distinguish. Sure, CoD is not massive, there's no open world, and no character lobby, but if the player count in a match is high enough to approach the maximum number you'd ever actually see in an MMO, then what's the difference? It's easy to distinguish low cap multiplayer games from MMOs, it becomes much more difficult once that player limit gets higher, since at a high enough level there is no difference. Then you have all these instanced dungeons in MMORPGs, in which people are effectively playing a low cap multiplayer game, inside of an MMO, and if the open world has zones, each of those zones is effectively a high cap multiplayer game inside of an MMO.

So you're right. It's a mess, but stop acting like places like massively don't have a point.

• DihoruDihoru Member Posts: 2,731
    Neah I think it fits to be honest... Online Virtual Worlds though most are not (EVE classes as one.. Ryzom... Wurm... such and such, no WoW does not class as one because for whatever else that titan may be alive it ain't).

• Google is your friend

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Massively_multiplayer_online_role-playing_game

common features:  Themes, Progression, Social Interaction, Culture, System Architecture.

GW1 is an example of what is not an mmo and i think CoD falls under that umbrella.

• BarrikorBarrikor Member UncommonPosts: 373

Match-making is only massive if the matches themselves are massive.

Lobby with 5 vs 5 matches isn't massive.

Lobby with 16 vs 16 matches isn't massive

Lobby with 32 vs 32 matches isn't massive

Lobby with 1000 vs 1000 matches _ is _ massive.

Call me up when CoD has 1000 vs 1000. Until then it's NOT massive.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Madden NFL, but I'm not quite sure why, I mean there's 24 characters on the field right?

Sounds stupid now, but mark my words, these sites will one day complete whoring themselves out and include them based on player interest.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• zevianzevian Member UncommonPosts: 403

Single player games without online play arent MMO's.     Thats how I understand the definition anymore.   A MOBA is still a MMO, its just a sub species of a MMO.

MMO |

|

-mmorpg

- mmofps

-moba

- farmville

etc....

• MMOman101MMOman101 Member UncommonPosts: 1,786
    Originally posted by Kyleran
    Madden NFL, but I'm not quite sure why, I mean there's 24 characters on the field right?

Sounds stupid now, but mark my words, these sites will one day complete whoring themselves out and include them based on player interest.

22 players.

11 per side.

“It's unwise to pay too much, but it's worse to pay too little. When you pay too much, you lose a little money - that's all. When you pay too little, you sometimes lose everything, because the thing you bought was incapable of doing the thing it was bought to do. The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot - it can't be done. If you deal with the lowest bidder, it is well to add something for the risk you run, and if you do that you will have enough to pay for something better.”

--John Ruskin

• MMOman101MMOman101 Member UncommonPosts: 1,786

MMOExposed.  You seem kind of fixated on this issue of naming the genre and what is or is not on the site.  I am going to tell you a secret.  It does not matter.  Get over it.  Get a new shtick. 

“It's unwise to pay too much, but it's worse to pay too little. When you pay too much, you lose a little money - that's all. When you pay too little, you sometimes lose everything, because the thing you bought was incapable of doing the thing it was bought to do. The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot - it can't be done. If you deal with the lowest bidder, it is well to add something for the risk you run, and if you do that you will have enough to pay for something better.”

--John Ruskin

• AdamaiAdamai Member UncommonPosts: 476
    If the game can be played predominantly solo.. Then its not an mmo. A brief list

Lotro
    Wow
    Wom
    Swtor
    Only true mmo i know of us eve online.. You really cannot succeed in that game by your self.. Some will say they can but their idea of success is limited so not succesful.. Besides if you want a solo eve experience.. Go play the X zseries.
    Mmorpg is not defined enough as too much variation is crammed into the acrimen.
  • tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227

i know a few years back there was a short lived movement to get a distinction between MMO(insert here) and MOG where MMO would be the designation for games like Eve, WoW and Planetside while MOG would be the designation for... well the rest.

MMO masive multiplayer online (and then it could be a FPS RPG or Racing .. or what ever) had to have a lasting world and thus would exclude any lobby games but still include some more instanced games.

MOG Multiplayer online game  would simply be what it sounds like... any kind of online game, MMO would be a subset of this.

It never really caught on due to the convoluted rules and need for insider knowledge. So i guess we simply have to live with the MMO tag being applied to anything until it looses it´s value. Then again to be honest most games these days have a online component.

This have been a good conversation

• seafirexseafirex Member UncommonPosts: 419
    Originally posted by tawess

i know a few years back there was a short lived movement to get a distinction between MMO(insert here) and MOG where MMO would be the designation for games like Eve, WoW and Planetside while MOG would be the designation for... well the rest.

MMO masive multiplayer online (and then it could be a FPS RPG or Racing .. or what ever) had to have a lasting world and thus would exclude any lobby games but still include some more instanced games.

MOG Multiplayer online game  would simply be what it sounds like... any kind of online game, MMO would be a subset of this.

It never really caught on due to the convoluted rules and need for insider knowledge. So i guess we simply have to live with the MMO tag being applied to anything until it looses it´s value. Then again to be honest most games these days have a online component.

He his right a MMO  = massive multiplayer online  and then you get the remainder of the name that distinguish the genre. 

RPG = Role Playing Game.

FPS = First person Shooter

We could go on and on.

Now there is the other kind very new in the gaming industry : MOBA = Massive Online Battle Arena ( game ) etc.

People confuse them all this day's, but they only need to do some research online to find out the difference . 

• MetanolMetanol Member UncommonPosts: 248
    Originally posted by MMOExposed

Call of Duty fits that. Same with any other game that is a shooter with online play.

But what games now days dobt have online? Skyrim without mods. Okay that works. But GTA Online is a mmo. It has online.

I'm sorry good sir, but I think you need to read "laserit"'s post a couple of times again.

You see, it included the words "Persistant world." - Which is not offered by any game in the CoD series. The closest FPS (not an MMO) what comes to that, is probably ArmA DayZ, but then again, the servers get reseted quite often (to my understanding), and every server is a separate world.

But, going with the persistant world and "large number of players", we could argue that Neverwinter Nights Persistant Worlds are, in theory, MMOs.

Example: Planetside 2. Persistant world. Large numbers of players. MMO.

Battlefield 2 - Project Reality, 120+ players in a match separated into two teams. Large number of players, check. Persistant world, nope. The world is reseted with every map change, and there is nothing persistant about it (or the player characters.) And then you bring Call of Duty into the talk, which has what? I bet a max players of 32 (I read 18 or 12?) I mean, consoles can't handle more, not in a game like CoD.

PS. Wikipedia says:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Massively_multiplayer_online_game

A massively multiplayer online game (also called MMO and MMOG) is a multiplayer video game which is capable of supporting large numbers of players simultaneously. By necessity, they are played on the Internet.[1] Many games have at least one persistent world, however others just have large numbers of players competing at once in one form or another without any lasting effect to the world at all. These games can be found for most network-capable platforms, including the personal computer, video game console, or smartphones and other mobile devices.

Example 2: DDO is an mmo. Hundreds of people can walk into the same marketplace and meet and talk (interact), but only 12 can go into the same quest/instance. - However, by the same definition, we could say that Guild Wars 1 is an MMO, but it's devs still sold it as "competitive online role-playing game". - Wikipedia does indeed list GW1 as an mmo. - However, do note, that games like LOL and other MOBAs are not MMOs - example: There is no persistant world (not a necessity, read: SPACE) where players can interact in masses.

PPS. In the end, the question is; What counts as a large enough number of players? Is it the 120+ offered by games like ArmA and Project reality, or must it be more than hundreds? - Surely, modern shooters like Battlefield and Call of Duty do not count, because they only support 64 players at max, to my understanding.

Example 3: APB Reloaded is not listed as an MMO, even though it has a persistant world split into instances and clear character developement through gear. However, it only supports 100 players per instance. - Is 100 the limit? What is?

PPPS.

Originally posted by noturpal

Google is your friend

common features:  Themes, Progression, Social Interaction, Culture, System Architecture.

GW1 is an example of what is not an mmo and i think CoD falls under that umbrella.

As stated above, GW1 is counted as an MMO (according to Wikipedia), just as much as WoW. Players can gather in hundreds in one place, and interact with each other. But still, even WoW has 6-man dungeons. - If instancing is your problem, then what about Age of Conan and stuff like that?

We?re all dead, just say it.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910
    Originally posted by Metanol
    Originally posted by MMOExposed

I'm sorry good sir, but I think you need to read "laserit"'s post a couple of times again.

You see, it included the words "Persistant world." - Which is not offered by any game in the CoD series. The closest FPS (not an MMO) what comes to that, is probably ArmA DayZ, but then again, the servers get reseted quite often (to my understanding), and every server is a separate world.

But, going with the persistant world and "large number of players", we could argue that Neverwinter Nights Persistant Worlds are, in theory, MMOs.

Example: Planetside 2. Persistant world. Large numbers of players. MMO.

Battlefield 2 - Project Reality, 120+ players in a match separated into two teams. Large number of players, check. Persistant world, nope. The world is reseted with every map change, and there is nothing persistant about it (or the player characters.) And then you bring Call of Duty into the talk, which has what? I bet a max players of 32 (I read 18 or 12?) I mean, consoles can't handle more, not in a game like CoD.

PS. Wikipedia says:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Massively_multiplayer_online_game

A massively multiplayer online game (also called MMO and MMOG) is a multiplayer video game which is capable of supporting large numbers of players simultaneously. By necessity, they are played on the Internet.[1] Many games have at least one persistent world, however others just have large numbers of players competing at once in one form or another without any lasting effect to the world at all. These games can be found for most network-capable platforms, including the personal computer, video game console, or smartphones and other mobile devices.

Example 2: DDO is an mmo. Hundreds of people can walk into the same marketplace and meet and talk (interact), but only 12 can go into the same quest/instance. - However, by the same definition, we could say that Guild Wars 1 is an MMO, but it's devs still sold it as "competitive online role-playing game". - Wikipedia does indeed list GW1 as an mmo. - However, do note, that games like LOL and other MOBAs are not MMOs - example: There is no persistant world (not a necessity, read: SPACE) where players can interact in masses.

PPS. In the end, the question is; What counts as a large enough number of players? Is it the 120+ offered by games like ArmA and Project reality, or must it be more than hundreds? - Surely, modern shooters like Battlefield and Call of Duty do not count, because they only support 64 players at max, to my understanding.

Example 3: APB Reloaded is not listed as an MMO, even though it has a persistant world split into instances and clear character developement through gear. However, it only supports 100 players per instance. - Is 100 the limit? What is?

PPPS.

Originally posted by noturpal

Google is your friend

As stated above, GW1 is counted as an MMO (according to Wikipedia), just as much as WoW. Players can gather in hundreds in one place, and interact with each other. But still, even WoW has 6-man dungeons. - If instancing is your problem, then what about Age of Conan and stuff like that?

Persistent world is only a requirement of the MMORPG definition, not the MMO definition.  The MMO definition only requires online matchmaking.

Nevermind.  You've managed to make that distinction and not have your brain explode. 

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Does everyone log into the same server?

If Yes, continue, otherwise, it's not an MMO anything.

Can everyone who logs into that same login server potentially interact with each other at some point while logged in?

When people interact with each other, are the online spaces/worlds/locations hosted by the developer, or by the players?

Is the place players are interacting a world, and is it persistent?

If Yes, then it's probably an MMORPG (World of Warcraft, Eve).

If No, then it's probably just an MMO (Diablo III, Call of Duty).

This only works if you don't rabidly hold on to the idea that MMO = MMORPG instead of MMO = Umbrella term to cover many different types of games.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• TjedTjed Member Posts: 162
    Originally posted by lizardbones

Does everyone log into the same server?

Can everyone who logs into that same login server potentially interact with each other at some point while logged in?

When people interact with each other, are the online spaces/worlds/locations hosted by the developer, or by the players?

Is the place players are interacting a world, and is it persistent?

If Yes, then it's probably an MMORPG (World of Warcraft, Eve).

If No, then it's probably just an MMO (Diablo III, Call of Duty).

This only works if you don't rabidly hold on to the idea that MMO = MMORPG instead of MMO = Umbrella term to cover many different types of games.

I think this is the best explanation I've seen yet. 

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    i think its pretty straight forward, if a game has only a hundred or so players, then its a MO, as in Multiplayer Online game, if it supports thousands of simultaneous players, then it becomes a Massively Multiplayer Online game, But they have to be playing in the same game world at the same time, be able to interract, either through pvp or cooperative gameplay.image
  • BlasphimBlasphim Member UncommonPosts: 354

Originally posted by Adamai
    If the game can be played predominantly solo.. Then its not an mmo. A brief list LotroWowWomSwtor

Glad you said brief, cause that list is a helluva lot longer than that.

• Ender4Ender4 Member UncommonPosts: 2,247

To me the game has to potentially have 40+ players doing something constructive on screen at the same time (not just sitting in a town hub).

GW1 is not really a MMO. MOBA's are not MMOs. RTS are not MMOs. Battlefield is, Planetside is, etc.

Some people seem to call any multiplayer game with any online function an MMO though and I think that is just dumb. Path of Exile is not an MMO.

Edit: corrected very important typo. I said GW2 but meant GW1. GW1 was not an MMO, GW2 is.

• DrakynnDrakynn Member Posts: 2,030
    All I know is the way many people define the word massively here I would like to buy all there belongings and assets for "massive"amounts of cash.I'd be property, item and asset rich and still have enough change from a C more for a meal and drinks after.
  • BossalinieBossalinie Member UncommonPosts: 724
    Originally posted by Ender4

To me the game has to potentially have 40+ players doing something constructive on screen at the same time (not just sitting in a town hub).

GW2 is not really a MMO. MOBA's are not MMOs. RTS are not MMOs. Battlefield is, Planetside is, etc.

Some people seem to call any multiplayer game with any online function an MMO though and I think that is just dumb. Path of Exile is not an MMO.

Because massive is purely subjective and not clearly defined by a specific number, no one will ever be right or wrong on what an MMO is.

Case in point...you picking 40. Was WoW not an MMO when it ditched 40 for 25 or 10 man raids?