Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Grouping and soloing for everyone

2»

Comments

• HabitualFrogStompHabitualFrogStomp Member UncommonPosts: 370

Having multiple instances of the same content under a different ruleset cheapens the content. It was obviously designed as it was for a reason. If you're for this, why not scale them all to level as well, so you can run end game dungeons as a level 5? Some content should not just be accessed on the whim of the player. Some content should be exclusive and require a group, giving players the option trivializes the nature of the content. I say this as a solo player and one who never raids. I understand there are raids where the biggest of the baddest lurk, there are dungeons I may not see the end of without the help of others. Suddenly take this out of the equation, I can go in and destroy it as a solo player...yay..game is cool?

For about 5 days. Until Ive done and seen and killed everything all by myself, fun and mystery of the game has been extracted, on to another single player game.

• WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,363
    Originally posted by ElElyon

I thought of this exact thing, I love the idea.

One of my biggest complaints for this game is when I enter an instance to do a quest and there are 7 other people in there and they killed everything and all I have to do is run to my objective and run out. BORING!

I would love a button that says "make all my instances solo" so I would get the full experience of the quest and if its to hard I can zone out and flip the switch to "make it grouped" and zone back in.

I'm not sure how hard it would be on the servers if we all had our own instanced dungeons though so not sure if its possible.

yup lol , i entered a dungeon in the beta (ice cave) and everything around was lying death , 10 players around questing....

A solo misson dungeons are a must in a game like this, inmersion is important , and traveling to kill a badass ghost and finding that is being spawn-killed by 100 other players on that cave ><

Thats why other mmorpgs implemented instances (hell swtor did w/o players loading anything at all) ,just a green wall :P

• LokbergLokberg Member Posts: 315
    Originally posted by HabitualFrogStomp

Having multiple instances of the same content under a different ruleset cheapens the content. It was obviously designed as it was for a reason. If you're for this, why not scale them all to level as well, so you can run end game dungeons as a level 5? Some content should not just be accessed on the whim of the player. Some content should be exclusive and require a group, giving players the option trivializes the nature of the content. I say this as a solo player and one who never raids. I understand there are raids where the biggest of the baddest lurk, there are dungeons I may not see the end of without the help of others. Suddenly take this out of the equation, I can go in and destroy it as a solo player...yay..game is cool?

For about 5 days. Until Ive done and seen and killed everything all by myself, fun and mystery of the game has been extracted, on to another single player game.

He is talking about the single/duo open world dungeons that you zone into and you can meet up to 10 people completing it already so you have nothing to do in them then run to end get skyshard and maybe kill the boss if ur lucky.

Where is the fun in that i rather be able to phase it to myself/my group or max 4 players and wait for it to fill up in the looking for group window.

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    Originally posted by Lokberg
    Originally posted by HabitualFrogStomp

He is talking about the single/duo open world dungeons that you zone into and you can meet up to 10 people completing it already so you have nothing to do in them then run to end get skyshard and maybe kill the boss if ur lucky.

Where is the fun in that i rather be able to phase it to myself/my group or max 4 players and wait for it to fill up in the looking for group window.

In the last 30 posts i have found that people that not yet played the game, dont understand what a feature like this is intended to do... Where it is suppose to work.... And espescially where it is not suppose to work... And why it is in such high demand by the players currently in beta

it solves not one, but two of the main complaints...

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

I played another seven hours today in the beta...

And still strongly believe this will repair the two single most biggest problems in the game....

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• JimmydeanJimmydean Member UncommonPosts: 1,290
    I've always thought MMORPGs should be entirely solo, that way others can't interfere with your style of gameplay. Imagine if you went into these quest areas and they were completely untouched, no one there stealing your mobs or bosses. You get the full experience.
  • AbndnAbndn Member Posts: 53

One of my biggest complaints for this game is when I enter an instance to do a quest and there are 7 other people in there and they killed everything and all I have to do is run to my objective and run out. BORING!

I would love a button that says "make all my instances solo" so I would get the full experience of the quest and if its to hard I can zone out and flip the switch to "make it grouped" and zone back in.

I'm not sure how hard it would be on the servers if we all had our own instanced dungeons though so not sure if its possible.

I hold the exact opposite view. I think it's great that dungeons are filled with other players because it actually feels like an MMORPG that way, rather than a singleplayer game. I generally dislike instancing and thought it was great to see a game that didn't do it (at least not for everything).

I'll never understand the appeal of soloing in MMORPGs. The gameplay and story are usually really bad compared to a solid singleplayer rpg, but that's alright precisely because you're doing it with others.

Originally posted by Abndn

I hold the exact opposite view. I think it's great that dungeons are filled with other players because it actually feels like an MMORPG that way, rather than a singleplayer game. I generally dislike instancing and thought it was great to see a game that didn't do it (at least not for everything).

I'll never understand the appeal of soloing in MMORPGs. The gameplay and story are usually really bad compared to a solid singleplayer rpg, but that's alright precisely because you're doing it with others.

Did you actually play the game?

Then you will see that choosing option 4 will keep everything the same for you. (Its mega servers with thousands and thousands of people doing the same thing in paralel zones... you will not see a drop in population

• AbndnAbndn Member Posts: 53
    Originally posted by Lord.Bachus
    Originally posted by Abndn

Did you actually play the game?

Then you will see that choosing option 4 will keep everything the same for you. (Its mega servers with thousands and thousands of people doing the same thing in paralel zones... you will not see a drop in population

I played this beta weekend and the last one. I'm not a huge fan of providing a million options to tailor the game to each person's taste. I'd much rather see one option only, emphasizing player interaction. After all that is the only thing that keeps MMORPGs from being utter shit (gameplay and story are always inferior to solid singleplayer games). Although it is true that not a whole lot of interaction goes on in those dungeons right now, that is mostly because the content inside is so hilariously easy (hopefully that will change at higher levels).

As for the drop in population you would certainly see it once the initial rush is over. My evidence? Starting zones in almost every MMORPG out there are ghost towns a few months in.

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

I have posted this two or three times in other threads, but it allways got drowned and never got anyone to react on it.  I think this is something that would make everyone happy

Some people complain about the dozens of people running around in the ancient thomb that just was discovered.  Others complain about how grouping not works in the world of soloquesting. While others just love most of the open world dungeons

in the settings tab they should add a default setting for prefered type of quest dungeon..

1) solo...  You enter the dungeon/instance/phase solo, and need to fight trough it all alone

2) grouped...  The dungeon content is harder and aimed at a 4 man group, bring your own friends

3) coop .. The dungeon content is harder and aimed at a group, you are grouped with the next 3 persons entering the dungeon.

4) open world...  Which is as it is now

5) choice...  You get the above 4 options to choose from every time you enter a dungeon..

this should make everyone hapy and the mega server technollogy just seems perfect for things like this.. If they have the resources to do it, it should not be that hard to program as long as the dungeons allow for some scaling..  Just wondering how you guys feel about this?  

It is one of my MAIN gripes right now.

Either I am surrounded by dozens of strangers in some story, usually dungeon, and it RUINS the atmopshere.

OR, I try to do stuff with my friends in my group, but they are constanly locked out or phased out.

Both royally pisses me off. One of my current gripes Number One. (I too made a thread about this, too nobody reacted. I dunno why. The ability to control when you are alone and when you are with friends should be a focus of any MMORPG!)

I really agreed to this impression preview:

"My first impression with The Elder Scrolls Online was that it was too crowded. ... It played very much like Skyrim with multiple other people running around, but the reality of that idea is more horrifying than you might expect. As I traveled around the gorgeous landscape of Tamriel and participated in numerous quest lines, I couldn’t shake the feeling as though I were an intruder. Every house I entered had been ransacked, the cabinets and drawers opened, the chests looted. It feels like playing Skyrim as though you’re playing the game with your best friend who’s already beaten it, and while you’re trying to appreciate all the aspects of the game, your friend is simply blowing through it and leaving you a cleanly picked carcass of a world."

Source: http://www.mmoknight.com/article/my-experience-with-elder-scrolls-online/

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

Originally posted by Elikal

I have posted this two or three times in other threads, but it allways got drowned and never got anyone to react on it.  I think this is something that would make everyone happy

Some people complain about the dozens of people running around in the ancient thomb that just was discovered.  Others complain about how grouping not works in the world of soloquesting. While others just love most of the open world dungeons

in the settings tab they should add a default setting for prefered type of quest dungeon..

1) solo...  You enter the dungeon/instance/phase solo, and need to fight trough it all alone

2) grouped...  The dungeon content is harder and aimed at a 4 man group, bring your own friends

3) coop .. The dungeon content is harder and aimed at a group, you are grouped with the next 3 persons entering the dungeon.

4) open world...  Which is as it is now

5) choice...  You get the above 4 options to choose from every time you enter a dungeon..

this should make everyone hapy and the mega server technollogy just seems perfect for things like this.. If they have the resources to do it, it should not be that hard to program as long as the dungeons allow for some scaling..  Just wondering how you guys feel about this?  

It is one of my MAIN gripes right now.

Either I am surrounded by dozens of strangers in some story, usually dungeon, and it RUINS the atmopshere.

OR, I try to do stuff with my friends in my group, but they are constanly locked out or phased out.

Both royally pisses me off. One of my current gripes Number One. (I too made a thread about this, too nobody reacted. I dunno why. The ability to control when you are alone and when you are with friends should be a focus of any MMORPG!)

I really agreed to this impression preview:

"My first impression with The Elder Scrolls Online was that it was too crowded. ... It played very much like Skyrim with multiple other people running around, but the reality of that idea is more horrifying than you might expect. As I traveled around the gorgeous landscape of Tamriel and participated in numerous quest lines, I couldn’t shake the feeling as though I were an intruder. Every house I entered had been ransacked, the cabinets and drawers opened, the chests looted. It feels like playing Skyrim as though you’re playing the game with your best friend who’s already beaten it, and while you’re trying to appreciate all the aspects of the game, your friend is simply blowing through it and leaving you a cleanly picked carcass of a world."

Source: http://www.mmoknight.com/article/my-experience-with-elder-scrolls-online/

either this solution or making the whole content of the phasing and instancing to dynamically adjust to the number of players.... but keeping the instances/phases where story makes you think you should be the only one around as stricktly solo..  and when grouped, people should go allways to the same phase based on a set of rules..