Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What are your thoughts on instant porting to instances?

124»

Comments

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

I would much rather have it than not have it.  I'm not going to spend the ten minutes it takes to get from wherever I am to an instance making friends.  I'm going to be spending it running through the game world ignoring everything I possibly can to get there.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• MagiknightMagiknight Member CommonPosts: 782
    Insta porting has it's place, but not in MMOs.
  • TibernicuspaTibernicuspa Member UncommonPosts: 1,199

If a game is poorly designed enough to need instances in the first place, whatever. The game world and social atmosphere of the game is already compromised, adding a dungeon finder won't hurt it further.

Games like WoW, from top to bottom, are anti social MMOs. They encourage soloing and greed at every turn and its all ddesigned so you never really need another player. So, porting to instances doesn't really hurt the community there, cause there is none.

Now if it was added to a social game like DAoC of old, with its uninstanced dungeons and encouraged grouping, that would be a different story.

• jitter77jitter77 Member UncommonPosts: 512

If you have a life / family your time is limited to play.  I goto work around 5-6am get home around 3pm.  After work I eat dinner, spend time with the family etc etc.  I usually dont play till they goto sleep which is usually around 9-10.  It leaves me limited time to play unless I want to be a zombie the next day.  There is no way I want to spend 30mins - 1 hour just trying to get to a dungeon and hoping I can find a group which will take who knows how long. 

I like doing achievements / exploring but I can do that on my own and in my spare time here and there.  If I want to log on and unlock some way points or do some crafting or whatever I can do that for 15 mins here and there.  If i want to do a dungeon I want to be able to log on do the dungeon, and that would probably be it for the day.

• mysticalunamysticaluna Member UncommonPosts: 265

Oh man, yeah I miss the days when 2 or 3 could do a dungeon, I think they should scale to duo content, some of us really enjoy running with our significant other, and it is a pain to have to beg other strangers to come ! ~ 

Scenarios were supposed to be like that, but they still force a third random stranger to come, and they didn't make any new ones!! 

I loved the old vanilla instances, of course now they get soloed by 1 tank in heirloom gear at level, but hey used to be fun to duo... 

All content should have scaled down duo mode and trio modes, why does everything have to require a full group of random strangers? 

• mysticalunamysticaluna Member UncommonPosts: 265

MMO's are fun, but if you are seriously that restricted for time, you should consider just playing other online games. You can have multi-player MOBAS and a lot of other games, that are actually higher quality better gameplay and give you instant gameplay, it is kind of hard to play an MMO if you only have an hour maximum... 

Think of all the games that you are missing out on like Skyrim, or Dragon Age, or so many different awesome console games, where playing an hour here and there or 15 minutes would accomplish so much more than on an mmo... 

In fact the Nintendo DS or 3DS would be right up your alley, because those games are typically designed for portable quick session playing, ever play One Minute Hero? 

Simulation Strategy games like Simcity, Ceasar 3, Rome, Pharoah, etc. all allow fun game play and save whenever you want casual features.   

MMO's are just meant to be long time draining games, there are so many causal friendly titles out there ! ~ 

In fact 15 minutes, wasn't even enough time for me to travel to where I had to be to start the quests that take hours for an old game like Everquest 1...  the travel time alone would take you 30 - 60 mins, then you had to have several hours to actually play. 

Nowadays, yeah 30 minutes or less for a dungeon is way to short,  they need longer dungeons again... Which, is of course why I spend most of my time raiding, since that actually takes at least 2 or 4 hours. 

• TjedTjed Member Posts: 162

I can't stand it, and I actually quit WOW over this back during wrath.  I've since returned a few times but only for short sessions when an expansion first comes out, it's never really been the same for me since. 

I do agree that if a game is going to do it, then just make it an instanced lobby game.  You could just make it a dungeon game where you log on and there's just a list of dungeons and you click one and it makes you that level with some gear and you go run that dungeon with strangers or your friends, then move on to the next.  I get that there's a market for that. 

I don't even understand why anyone would go through the trouble of making a complex world with dungeons in really hard to reach places and then bypass all of that. 

I suppose it's an attempt to appeal to as many different types of gamers as possible.  It's just so transparent.  I'm done with it, but what's the alternative?  Is there a game out there right now with good, hard to reach dungeons, and no instant teleportation?  I think we're stuck with it for a little while anyway.

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by Tjed

I do agree that if a game is going to do it, then just make it an instanced lobby game.  You could just make it a dungeon game where you log on and there's just a list of dungeons and you click one and it makes you that level with some gear and you go run that dungeon with strangers or your friends, then move on to the next.  I get that there's a market for that. 

I don't even understand why anyone would go through the trouble of making a complex world with dungeons in really hard to reach places and then bypass all of that. 

Because they made a mistake putting a world in .. and adding instance port .. is a way to fix the mistake? Or may be it is an option for those who want to walk

Personally i don't need the world. Just give me a lobby and fun dungeons.

• VikingGamerVikingGamer Member UncommonPosts: 1,350
    I think that at the very least players need to discover, on foot and in person the instance portal to unlock it. If after that they port there to do the instance over and over again that is fine. What I really don't like is when games simply unlock an instance when you reach a certain level. You have no idea where it is and you have none of the quest leading you into the dungeon but some how you can start teleporting there.

All die, so die well.

• Beatnik59Beatnik59 Member UncommonPosts: 2,413
    I don't like it.  Why even have the world in between A and B, if there's no need for the space in between?

"...when it comes to pimping EVE I have little restraints."
    --Hellmar, CEO of CCP.

"It's like they took a gun, put it to their nugget sack and pulled the trigger over and over again, each time telling us how great it was that they were shooting themselves in the balls."
    --Exar_Kun on SWG's NGE

• YoungCaesarYoungCaesar Member UncommonPosts: 326
    Originally posted by jitter77

If you have a life / family your time is limited to play.  I goto work around 5-6am get home around 3pm.  After work I eat dinner, spend time with the family etc etc.  I usually dont play till they goto sleep which is usually around 9-10.  It leaves me limited time to play unless I want to be a zombie the next day.  There is no way I want to spend 30mins - 1 hour just trying to get to a dungeon and hoping I can find a group which will take who knows how long. 

I like doing achievements / exploring but I can do that on my own and in my spare time here and there.  If I want to log on and unlock some way points or do some crafting or whatever I can do that for 15 mins here and there.  If i want to do a dungeon I want to be able to log on do the dungeon, and that would probably be it for the day.

Then maybe  MMORPGs are not for you? Go check out one of the MOBAs or D3 where its a lobby and you get insta ported to the fun stuff... A mmorpg is supposed to be a world, where you can immerse yourself not this lobby crap with fast travel and porting everywhere, why bother making a world if you can just port everywhere on the map, you dont feel you belong to any city in the game...

Originally posted by YoungCaesar

Then maybe  MMORPGs are not for you? Go check out one of the MOBAs or D3 where its a lobby and you get insta ported to the fun stuff... A mmorpg is supposed to be a world, where you can immerse yourself not this lobby crap with fast travel and porting everywhere, why bother making a world if you can just port everywhere on the map, you dont feel you belong to any city in the game...

I think you are confused. People who like D3, MOBA and lobby games probably wouldn't care less about the old "traditional" type MMOs, but modern MMO devs want a piece of that audience, and hence they would make MMOs more like lobby ARPGs.

Now if WOW wants to take the world away and focus on only instance play, I have no problem with that.

And MMORPG is not "supposed" to be anything. They are just games, and designed by devs who can cater to whatever audience they want to.

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,897
    It's a MUST these days.
    Originally posted by nariusseldon

I think you are confused. People who like D3, MOBA and lobby games probably wouldn't care less about the old "traditional" type MMOs, but modern MMO devs want a piece of that audience, and hence they would make MMOs more like lobby ARPGs.

Now if WOW wants to take the world away and focus on only instance play, I have no problem with that.

And MMORPG is not "supposed" to be anything. They are just games, and designed by devs who can cater to whatever audience they want to.

no MMORPGs are by defintion, supposed to be massive seamless worlds, a sandbox with endless possibilities, where the players make the story with heavy guild politics... if not, they would all the be called MOBAs....

Its ok that you like to skip all the "boring" parts (that also happen to make the game feel immersive and more like a living world) to get to your "fun" button smashing, but dont taint the name of mmorpgs by branding them as mere lobby games, when they could be so much more than that... just go play your ARPGs or MOBAs and everyone is happy, amirite? 

no MMORPGs are by defintion, supposed to be massive seamless worlds, a sandbox with endless possibilities, where the players make the story with heavy guild politics... if not, they would all the be called MOBAs....

Its ok that you like to skip all the "boring" parts (that also happen to make the game feel immersive and more like a living world) to get to your "fun" button smashing, but dont taint the name of mmorpgs by branding them as mere lobby games, when they could be so much more than that... just go play your ARPGs or MOBAs and everyone is happy, amirite? 

Lol ... whose definition? Certainly LoL and even D3 are listed as MMO here on this site, and include in many industry MMO reports. I don't think you have the authority to force a definition on others.

Oh, of course i play ARPGs. You don't think i only play MMO, do you? And if a "MMO" plays like a ARPG, i like it more. In fact, i play MMOs like STO and Marvel Heroes (and i sense another debate of whether MH is a MMO) like an online ARPG.

This "go play your ARPGs" is pretty silly .. because you assume games classified as MMOs (like STO, Marvel Heroes, NWO, even GW2) cannot be played and enjoyed as ARPGs. They can .. i do that all the time.

Originally posted by nariusseldon

Lol ... whose definition? Certainly LoL and even D3 are listed as MMO here on this site, and include in many industry MMO reports. I don't think you have the authority to force a definition on others.

Oh, of course i play ARPGs. You don't think i only play MMO, do you? And if a "MMO" plays like a ARPG, i like it more. In fact, i play MMOs like STO and Marvel Heroes (and i sense another debate of whether MH is a MMO) like an online ARPG.

This "go play your ARPGs" is pretty silly .. because you assume games classified as MMOs (like STO, Marvel Heroes, NWO, even GW2) cannot be played and enjoyed as ARPGs. They can .. i do that all the time.

If LoL and D3 are MMOs then Counter Strike and CoD are also MMOs then? Hell, any multiplayer game with a lobby is a MMO now?

Its fine that you like these lobby games, thats your choice, but for other ppl that like TRUE mmorpgs (virtual worlds) this is not enough... we want seamless worlds with as little restrictions as possible, not fucking lobbies...

GW2 may be classified as MMO, but its not a true mmoRPG, its not a virtual world just a series of instances... plus the combat isnt so great, if I only wanted to play the combat only Id go for games with GOOD combat like Chivalry or Counter Strike even maybe a MOBA or D3, but I want something more, and I dream that game with finally come to my arms.

If LoL and D3 are MMOs then Counter Strike and CoD are also MMOs then? Hell, any multiplayer game with a lobby is a MMO now?

Why? It is just an arbitrary categorization to help discussion. There is no reason why CS and CoD should be MMOs just because this site decides LoL and D3 to be.

Common usage does not need literal interpretation of words. MMO is just an arbitrary set that websites and industry use.

Its fine that you like these lobby games, thats your choice, but for other ppl that like TRUE mmorpgs (virtual worlds) this is not enough... we want seamless worlds with as little restrictions as possible, not fucking lobbies...

I don't really care how you define a "true" MMO. It is just a label. And certainly it is clear that you want something different. Then don't play ARPGs, or ARPG-like MMO. No one is forcing you.

GW2 may be classified as MMO, but its not a true mmoRPG, its not a virtual world just a series of instances... plus the combat isnt so great, if I only wanted to play the combat only Id go for games with GOOD combat like Chivalry or Counter Strike even maybe a MOBA or D3, but I want something more, and I dream that game with finally come to my arms.

You can dream, but no one is obligated to make a game you like. It is a free market. You vote with your time & wallet, devs can cater to anyone.

But again, whether you see it as a "true" MMO is irrelevant. GW2, GW1, DDO ... all those "non-true MMOs" are classified as MMOs in many websites, and industry research. If you don't like them, no one is forcing to play.

• MavolenceMavolence Member UncommonPosts: 635
    I agree wit h the original topic post. I do not like instant fast travel teleportation systems whatsoever.
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Hmm, it is a good question really.

I think porting to instances are fine in some cases, when it works with the lore. Say that you are going to the underworld to kick demon butt, unless the lore state that you must use a specific portal or gap it is fine by me to just port there.

Specific dungeons lying in dangerous territory is a very different matter. I feel that the point of a MMORPG unlike a CORPG where you only do instances is that you interact with the world and other people, just standing in the same spot and waiting for the next random dungeon turns the game into a ghost town and it makes things less fun, at least to me.

Players should be both forced and for that matter rewarded for venturing out in the world. That doesn't mean that old EQ styled travel where it could take you a IRL day to just travel between a city is great but there are middle ways between that and the other extreme.

Originally posted by Loke666

Specific dungeons lying in dangerous territory is a very different matter. I feel that the point of a MMORPG unlike a CORPG where you only do instances is that you interact with the world and other people, just standing in the same spot and waiting for the next random dungeon turns the game into a ghost town and it makes things less fun, at least to me.

Players should be both forced and for that matter rewarded for venturing out in the world. That doesn't mean that old EQ styled travel where it could take you a IRL day to just travel between a city is great but there are middle ways between that and the other extreme.

Just rename the genres. Problem solved.

Whether MMORPG should or should not be like a CORPG depends on whether it is more fun for the intended audience. I doubt forcing people to walk will go over well .. and personally i don't want to walk 15 min before i can get into the real gameplay independent of what genre of games i am playing.

If i don't like walking, i care less if it is a CORPG, or a MMORPG. Those are just labels.

• IGaveUpIGaveUp Member Posts: 273

In an automated dungeon grouping system, I think instant ports to dungeons make sense.

In "run dungeons with guildies" games, I still don't have a problem with instant ports.

In "run dungeons with people hanging out at the dungeon entrance" games, they make no sense at all since you have to get to the dungeon to form a group.  Everyone is already there.

Originally posted by RealmLordsKen

In an automated dungeon grouping system, I think instant ports to dungeons make sense.

In "run dungeons with guildies" games, I still don't have a problem with instant ports.

In "run dungeons with people hanging out at the dungeon entrance" games, they make no sense at all since you have to get to the dungeon to form a group.  Everyone is already there.

I think the point is that "automated dungeon system" is a preferred way of playing than "run dungeons with people hanging out at the dungeon entrance" because you don't have to run to the dungeon entrance, and talk to people before getting inside and start killing stuff.