Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Preview] Path of Exile: Sacrifice of the Vaal Expansion Preview

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Last fall, I met with the guys from Grinding Gears games shortly before they launched their hit online action RPG, Path of Exile. Four months and five million registered players later, the team stands on the cusp of releasing their first major content update, Sacrifice of the Vaal. I met with Grinding Gears Managing Director Chris Wilson and Path of Exile Technical Director Jonathan Rogers once again this week, and the two filled me in on what we can expect from this first sizable content dump. 

Read more of Neilie Johnson's Path of Exile: Sacrifice of the Vaal Expansion Preview.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• donthate4228donthate4228 Member Posts: 2
    I can't wait
  • DarkVagabondDarkVagabond Member UncommonPosts: 340
    Sneaky Sneaky
  • Nightbringe1Nightbringe1 Member UncommonPosts: 1,335
    Waiting impatiently for release.

Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain and most fools do.
    Benjamin Franklin

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    Yeah looking forward to new content
  • BanegrivmBanegrivm Member UncommonPosts: 262
    Does this game have any sort of customization at all for your characters appearance or is it like the Diablo series where you have a stock look for your character with the exception of your equipment?

Banegrivm
    Leader of the 1st Fist of Light
    www.1stfistoflight.com

• svandysvandy Member UncommonPosts: 277
    Originally posted by Banegrivm
    Does this game have any sort of customization at all for your characters appearance or is it like the Diablo series where you have a stock look for your character with the exception of your equipment?

No customization. Actually, the character models is the only area of this game I just can't get behind. It is a solid, fun game, but for some reason the armor and characters just look... meh.

Please visit my youtube channel for some H1Z1/DayZ casual roleplay videos!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrQoK5VZlwBBzpsksmXtjMQ

• HoiPoloiHoiPoloi Member UncommonPosts: 98

Customization in APRGs = equipment and builds.  It's basically a rule of the genre, and PoE has the market cornered in that respect.

Cosmetic customization = for scrubs who play MMORPGs.

Rithwis, Righteous Golem of Camelot | Skritha, Orc Archer of Tamriel | Bloodwod, Sawbones of Auraxis | Thrumdi, Blue Norn of Tyria | Gwidwod, Spider of the Ettenmoors | Gideon Slack, Hunter of Alsius

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.
  • BruhzaBruhza Member UncommonPosts: 391
    Originally posted by svandy
    Originally posted by Banegrivm

No customization. Actually, the character models is the only area of this game I just can't get behind. It is a solid, fun game, but for some reason the armor and characters just look... meh.

I think the point of it is to look meh. I mean,  they are "exiles". Though I do understand where you are coming from. (They do look better down the road at high levels, at least imo).

Also you can buy cosmetics if you want to, but they are pretty expensive.

• yaminsuxyaminsux Member UncommonPosts: 973
    Equipment and skills customization, for people who play the game.

Character cosmetic customization, for people who play "Barbie doll online"

See the difference?
  • Dwarfman420Dwarfman420 Member Posts: 207

Is currency still orbs etc?

Great game but just hated trading not knowing value of stuff.

would prefer gold

• CrazylikeCrazylike Member CommonPosts: 89
    Originally posted by Dwarfman420

would prefer gold

The currency is still orbs, and to be honest, you will get used to it. I hate trading in general, and especially when values are so obscure as in PoE, but I have found it gets a lot better with time. You also don't really need to trade to play through the game, but it will indeed be harder. Imo, not a bad thing.

• yaminsuxyaminsux Member UncommonPosts: 973
    Originally posted by Dwarfman420

would prefer gold

I would prefer gold too, but the current way makes the game more alive and immersive. 

As for trading, it is a mini game by itself. Frustrating at times, but rewarding if you can figure it out.

• Solar_ProphetSolar_Prophet Member EpicPosts: 1,960
    Originally posted by HoiPoloi

Customization in APRGs = equipment and builds.  It's basically a rule of the genre, and PoE has the market cornered in that respect.

Cosmetic customization = for scrubs who play MMORPGs.

You might want to run that thought by the folks at GGG, since their entire cash shop is built around cosmetic customization.

Now who's the scrub, scrub?

AN' DERE AIN'T NO SUCH FING AS ENUFF DAKKA, YA GROT! Enuff'z more than ya got an' less than too much an' there ain't no such fing as too much dakka. Say dere is, and me Squiggoff'z eatin' tonight!

We are born of the blood. Made men by the blood. Undone by the blood. Our eyes are yet to open. FEAR THE OLD BLOOD. 

#IStandWithVic

• xenoracexenorace Member UncommonPosts: 205

I thoroughly enjoyed the game. However, there was a much needed address to the "desync" issue. There was a huge number of skills that were almost unusable due to game desync. Granted there was a work around for this by binding a command that took you out of this, but I found even in the next difficulty level you were dead before you knew you were out of sync.

I currently do not play as this did hurt my personal playing experience, but others have learned to live with it and still find a lot of enjoyment out of the game.

If this desync ever gets fixed PoE would easily be my top pick for ARPG of all time.

S.C.I.F.I
    <Sights, Clouded, In, False, Illusions>

• SlyLoKSlyLoK Member RarePosts: 2,698

First off.. Fix the desync issue.

Secondly.. Change the camera angle.

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903
    Desync, clunky animations and uninspired art.  Wish they had a much bigger budget and focused more on aesthetics and gameplay from the start.  But they seem to fill their niche well.
  • handlewithcarehandlewithcare Member Posts: 322

all I can say is I take my hat of to this company they made a great game and its free.

eagerly awaiting all that is coming from grinding gear.

• SquishydewSquishydew Member UncommonPosts: 1,107
    If path of exile fixed It's desync and wonky camera angle, I'd be all over this.
  • KorthagKorthag Member UncommonPosts: 44
      No AH, its terrible to try to sell items yeliing.
  • edgy_rhinxedgy_rhinx Member Posts: 1
    4 boobs - very epic!
  • YohanuYohanu Member UncommonPosts: 215
    Originally posted by Korthag
      No AH, its terrible to try to sell items yeliing.

Yes, let's ruin yet another economy by introducing centralised trade. No thanks.

• FondelFondel Member UncommonPosts: 98
    Originally posted by DMKano

With D3 2.0.1 patch - its hard to go back to PoE. 

Yeah, because soulbound legendaries/set items is all that real item based AORPG needs.

• kiznickkiznick Member UncommonPosts: 5
    I cannot stand the graphics, the game looks worse than anything I've ever tried to play...and I've played every single MMO, MMORPG, ARPG in existence back to the MUDs eras. Otherwise, it's got great gameplay and features, it just looks awful. I'm all for retro games and such, but this doesn't look like a retro game, it looks like they got lazy with the character design. If your going to put that much effort in the skill customization, why not put as much effort into how the characters look to.  I don't want to run around with a character that literally looks like a piece of misshapen clay. I like to have pride in my characters accomplishments and part of that process in many ARPG's is the evolution of both the look and the skill of the character. If the two do not align it just feels really wrong. I give kudos to what they did with the skill map. That is definitely phenomenal. 

--------------------
    Toodles,

Kiznick

• CelciusCelcius Member RarePosts: 1,868
    Solid game, but I can't stick with it long due to the clunky combat.